• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don Cherry's Comments

Rate this topic

I would not disagree with you about the winning... I never said that it was a winning brand of hockey when Probert and Kocur were on the team, but I think the key element that is missing from this team that was a part of each championship over the last 11 years is one or two guys who played tough and could back it up.

97 - Shanahan, Lapointe, Kocur, McCarty

98 - Shanahan, McCarty

02 - Shanahan, McCarty

08 - Drake, McCarty

I love the style of play the Wings use. All I am saying is that Cherry has a point. He is not dead on, but he has a point. We are missing a piece that has been a part of every championship. If you don't see that, I am not sure that this conversation can go anywhere.

The purported toughness was a minor, to say the very least, component of those teams. The teams could play and were willing to go the hard areas to win. Has nothing to do with hitting and fighting. Fighting in the playoffs is about as important as beard-growing ability.

The Wings are amazing. I love watching them, but I also love to see some emotion and some toughness when needed. By the way, so do 20,000 people at the Joe or any other arena around the league... just take a look at what happens when someone drops the gloves or puts a nice hit on someone.

Sounds like you are not interested in entertainment, well I have some bad news for ya'... Hockey is entertainment no matter how you slice it. Why would you watch it if it were not entertaining?

I'm very interested in entertainment, which is why I said I look towards the ice for it and not the stands. They could play the games in a practice facility with no crowds and I'd watch and be entertained. I don't have to have a "laughtrack" to know when I should laugh or cheer or curse.

Just listened to Cherry's comments and I will say, I completely agree. I will say, im VERY disappointed most of you are bashing Cherry. Ovechkins celebrations are overboard. I cant believe the same fans that love Stevie Y for his humility, and the same fans that love Joe Dumars, the same fans that love Barry Sanders for handing the ball to the ref after scoring a TD are on board with Ovechkins ME first goal celebrations, and are not defending Don Cherry for his SPOT ON comments. I cant believe im reading these comments on a Detroit Sports forum. Wow.

Ovechkin is what the NHL needs. I personlly hope Ovechkin LAYS OUT SID next time they meet. sid is a baby and bettmens b***h

honestly, i think cherry was right with a lot of the stuff he's talking about.

first, hockey players are humble. i love ovechkin, and i think he's the best player in the league, but he does need to learn a lesson in manners. you don't showboat after you score every goal, especially not in a blowout. put your head down, and act like you've scored 60 other goals this season. i do think someone will take a run at him if he doesn't stop that stuff either, because it seems that the league is tired with that act as well as crosbys whining. stevie y was humble, and ovechkin needs to be more humble.

regarding the red wings, did you expect cherry to say anything different about us? you know he dislikes europeans, our teams full of europeans, and so boom of course he doesnt like us. i think he's right that fans do miss fighitng, and more physical play in detroit. it's the reason mccarty was/is so popular here. it appears kenny is lookin into gettin us a tough guy at the deadline, hopefully neil, but probably lappy. I personally love that datsyuk is hitting people more often, but some of the hits shown did look like they were from behind, and we do need someone to make sure our stars stay safe.

the only thing I disagree with cherry about is the fact that the wings dont sell out cuz they dont fight and are "boring". the wings are in no way shape or form boring. we have the most electrifying offense in the league! we don't sell out because the michigan economy sucks ass! he doesn't live here! he doesn't know! tickets are too expensive and the avg family cannot afford to go out to a wings game. why should he when they can watch it in hd at home?

Cherry a prejudiced commentator who knows what he likes and dislikes and isn't afraid of saying so in a what is a very offensive tone. He's inconsistent, he glosses over certain players' flaws and he loves picking on certain type of players. But a lot of what he says also makes sense. It's sort of 90% good stuff and 10% crazy stuff. I stopped watching Cherry's bit because I couldn't stand the 10% but I'm not really surprised at the stuff that sometimes comes out of his mouth nor do I much cary anymore; most people seem to accept it as one of his eccentricities and sort of accept it.

About the Ovechkin comments: I think it all figures into the package. I can't blame him for showing how much fun he's having and I really doubt he's doing it only to taunt and piss off other players and fans. But I also get that it bothers people. Personally I just accept it as being part of what makes him distinctive and if he deserves a beat down for that, for that matter if you think he's going to stop because of that, then you are wrong.

I don't know why anyone takes anything Cherry says seriously, like he's this god of hockey knowledge. He knows absolutely nothing about how to win in the NHL, as evidenced by his illustrious 1 game playing career and brief coaching career which consisted mostly of his tough Bruins getting defeated every year by the skillful Habs. It really frustrates me how he and CBC have sort of propagated this myth that Cherry and Bobby Orr were this great, legendary tandem. Ask the average hockey fan, and I bet they think Cherry was Boston's Cup winning coach.

I've long since stopped watching coach's corner. Any insights or valid points Cherry had, he made a long time ago. Now he's just an embarrassment to the network and the country.

First... Granderson? I love him, he's awesome... he's on the list with those guys?

Second, we've had hard nosed players who wear their heart on their sleeve. Sheed, Shanny, Rodman... come one man.

Yes, Detroit is truly blessed with gracious players who are humble with their skill. But not all of them.

Hahahaha are you KIDDING me with this argument. Firstly, Granderson is not on that list because he is a caliber player like those guys, he is on the list because of his humility. He is a class act all the way and when its all said and done, he will probably be a Tiger for life. |Secondly, ye we've had players like Sheed and Rodman, but what exactly is your point lol? We've had players like them, but is it a good thing? Most Pistons fans say we should outright release Rasheed because of how much of a cancer he has become. And Rodman? Are you kidding?.. Thirdly, dont list Shanny with them. Shanny was a class act just like Yzerman, Lidstrom was.

While he may not say things to make everyone smile, but he does have his opinions (who would've thought the old fart was capable of predicting Avery's demise in Dallas?), & many here disagree, but then again some like myself do agree with what Cherry says...Either ya like him, or hate him.

Oh I agree with a lot of the stuff he says, like I said earlier 90% - it might even be more. Actually the last few % I might agree with as well but he tells it in such a way that I can't help but take offense. There's a difference between being blunt and just being plain obnoxious.

That said, I just have a problem with how he expresses his opinions. I get why he is popular and I don't have a problem at all with him being on the air - it's entertainment! His outfits alone warrant debates and discussions! :cool:

Cherry has a point. The atmosphere in Detroit in the mid to late '90s was totally different than it is today. Fans love guys like Probert, Kocur and McCarty. I understand the economy is part of it, but it is certainly not entirely to blame.

About Ovechkin. As someone who moved from Detroit to DC a few years ago, I can tell you that AO celebrates the way he does because he truly LOVES the game of hockey. I realize people may take it the wrong way but its just how he is, and he should not have to change. DC is now compared to cities like Montreal and Boston for the great hockey atmosphere. Not saying this to be a jerk, I am a Red Wings fan, and think they have a very skillfull team, they just don't seem to have the same passion, and I think the fans notice.

The purported toughness was a minor, to say the very least, component of those teams. The teams could play and were willing to go the hard areas to win. Has nothing to do with hitting and fighting. Fighting in the playoffs is about as important as beard-growing ability.

I'm very interested in entertainment, which is why I said I look towards the ice for it and not the stands. They could play the games in a practice facility with no crowds and I'd watch and be entertained. I don't have to have a "laughtrack" to know when I should laugh or cheer or curse.

I don't think I ever said they needed someone to fight in the playoffs. What I said is that a component of each championship team has been someone willing to stand up to people. I know there is rarely fighting in the playoffs, I have been a Wings/NHL fan for 30 years... but you need someone other than Lilja, Samuelson or Hossa to stand up for the team once in a while (Hossa fighting should tell you how badly they need one guy on this team to stand up to the riff raff).

Secondly, I think your lame ass comparison to the crowd cheering being like a laugh track is ridiculous. Are you a big fan of soccer? Maybe golf if more up your alley... either way, I question whether you have ever experienced a playoff game at the Joe filled to capacity. The atmosphere is amazing... if that is a laugh track, I'll take it.

I am picturing you wearing a smoking jacket with a pipe and reading glasses with the sound turned down on the Wings' games and quietly saying "Huzzah," when they score. You obviously are a student of the game since you would watch it in a practice facility... you must be their number one fan. :rolleyes:

Guest micah
Yah i caught coaches corner as well, cherry proves time and time again he is a douchebag to anyone thats not Canadian.

I hope he dies soon honestly that is the only way he will be off the air. I'm honestly embarrassed to be Canadian every time that moron speaks.

You hope a man dies soon, because you don't agree with the things he says? Really? Don Cherry is an entertainer. He is not a terrorist, he is not a murderer, he is not a rapist. He's a man who has a job talking about a game on TV. That's all. You don't like what he says about it and hope he dies?

You suck at being a person.

Cherry just bashes europeans for anything and everything.. if it was Crosby celebrating like Ovie, he would somehow think it's just fine.

Anyone notice that he didn't give credit to guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg for not going overboard with goal-celebrations? No, he only listed canadian players.. go figure.

The guy is xenophobic to the bone. He's a joke, and he's not worth all the attention he gets.

Come on, he bashes Lidstrom for not hitting enough.. that pretty much says everything you need to know about him.

Sure, it will still be entertaining, it's the game you love to wtach. But are you saying that the crowd has nothing to do with the entertainment value? C'mon, there is nothing more fun than watching a hockey game when the crowd is going completely insane. However, this is something the Joe has lacked recently, so maybe that has something to do with it...

I'm not really interested in getting into the entertainment debate here but what Cherry said about the attendance issues in comparison to the other sports in Michigan are just outright lies. He's ignorant and ill-informed.

I'm sure it's been said before.

Sure, it will still be entertaining, it's the game you love to wtach. But are you saying that the crowd has nothing to do with the entertainment value? C'mon, there is nothing more fun than watching a hockey game when the crowd is going completely insane. However, this is something the Joe has lacked recently, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Have you been to many games this year? Just recently, the Anaheim crowd was great. The SJ crowd was great. Crowds get up for big games, you think Nashville is that jacked for St. Louis?

Have you been to many games this year? Just recently, the Anaheim crowd was great. The SJ crowd was great. Crowds get up for big games, you think Nashville is that jacked for St. Louis?

Sure they were good crowds, but i wouldn't call them great. There was a time when the wings' crowd was jacked for every game. They had an intensity that i have seen maybe once this year, when downey went out and hit anyone he could find against Dallas, and that lasted about 45 seconds. I'm not saying that i'm bored at a red wings game, but this just makes it even more fun.

Sure they were good crowds, but i wouldn't call them great. There was a time when the wings' crowd was jacked for every game. They had an intensity that i have seen maybe once this year, when downey went out and hit anyone he could find against Dallas, and that lasted about 45 seconds. I'm not saying that i'm bored at a red wings game, but this just makes it even more fun.

For you perhaps, but the majority of Wings fans at games still think Kirk Maltby will fight so they are still expecting it to happen.

Listening to Don Cherry is like having a bigoted elderly relative at a family gathering who still calls an Asian person a "Chinaman"--everybody cringes when he speaks. As for the Wings being a boring team, that's the typical viewpoint of a jealous Leafs fan... Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Hudler are boring players to watch? If you find the most skilled team in hockey boring there's no pill to help you. I don't care if the Wings play Minnesota-style hockey, they wouldn't be boring because of the skill level.

Cherry just bashes europeans for anything and everything.. if it was Crosby celebrating like Ovie, he would somehow think it's just fine.

No, that statement is 100% wrong.

He bashed Crosby in the past for even scoring a fancy goal when his team was winning big....there wasn't even a big celebration...if there was, Cherry probably wouldn't have gone insane.

I don't know why anyone takes anything Cherry says seriously, like he's this god of hockey knowledge. He knows absolutely nothing about how to win in the NHL, as evidenced by his illustrious 1 game playing career and brief coaching career which consisted mostly of his tough Bruins getting defeated every year by the skillful Habs. It really frustrates me how he and CBC have sort of propagated this myth that Cherry and Bobby Orr were this great, legendary tandem. Ask the average hockey fan, and I bet they think Cherry was Boston's Cup winning coach.

I've long since stopped watching coach's corner. Any insights or valid points Cherry had, he made a long time ago. Now he's just an embarrassment to the network and the country.

Your so right on about this sucessful moron, the worst thing the Cbc ever spawned. Ya couldn't win with Orr,Park and Company what a first rate loser in hockey terms. But he has entertainment value and part of his limited repetoire has always been to spew venom on the Wings for years whether we have the Cup or not. At least he has no Cup ring to flash with his dumb logo suits. The only thing is ,the skillful Habs you mention could also match you with toughness that was always the key to their sucess ; you couldn't intimidate them physically. Our team lacks this vital attribute and it might become a factor in the Playoffs. Holland diminished the rugged grinder role too much in our team. Look at Sean Thornton check the battle between him and Chris Neil you tube Jan 8 2009 imagine these guys in our team. Holland better come up big before the deadline because standing pat is not an option!

People take Cherry too seriously. By that I mean people think he's beholden to be some top-notch commentator. The guy's an institution, and it's not because of his "smarts" -- it's for the entertainment value. Yeah, you may not find him particularly entertaining, but seriously, "He's a fool" is kind of a truism.

Don Cherry is a great example of an IRL troll. He says ridiculous and outlandish things for the sole purpose of pissing people off and getting them to give him attention for the comments.

No different than people here who say s*** like "ZOMG OSCRAP SUX0RS!!!11!!" because they know it'll cause a flame war.

Cherry says a lot of stupid things but I sort of agree with him. He celebrates EVERY goal as if it was the Stanley Cup winner. Too bad Scott Stevens is not around anymore. I would pay good money to see him knock Ovechkin's head right off of his shoulders.

The Skills Competition was a prime example of his superfluous actions.

Don Cherry is an old, senile biggot and in no way shape or form does he represent Canada and its people.

I loved when he tried to put words in Ron McLean's wife's mouth in that bit about Yzerman's jersey retirement night and McLean finally stood up to him and said something like "No, that's not at all what she meant..." McLean doesn't do that enough and it would make for great television to call Cherry more often on his lies.