• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyerberger

Downey

Rate this topic

Been thinking about this guy, and wondering why the Wings wanted to hold onto him to the point where upper management talked him into not retiring. They had to have known they were gonna have a logjam this year after getting Hossa, and what with the d-men, Leino, etc. Is it possible they were keeping him employed so they could have him on the roster next year? It's arguable as to whether Abdelkader is ready, and they probably don't expect to keep D-mac past this year..

ZDH

Franzen/Hudler - Flip - Hossa

Leino - Helm - Cleary

Maltby - Draper - Kopecky

Downey

Perhaps?

Downey slides into Maltby's slot when up against a goon team...

I could also see Helm on the 4th line and Kopecky on the 3rd.

ZDH

Mule/Hudler - Flip - Hossa

Leino - Cleary - Kopecky

Helm - Draper - Downey

Maltby

That wouldn't be anything to complain about. Leino doesn't exactly need someone to set him up, put him out there with 2 bangers that'll go to the net and you have success, imo.

Or if we don't get Franzen and Babs plays Leino and Hudler on the same line...

ZDH

Leino - Hudler - Hossa

Cleary - Flip - Kopecky

Helm - Draper - Downey

Maltby

or

ZDH

Cleary - Flip - Hossa

Leino - Hudler - Kopecky

Helm - Draper - Downey

Maltby

Sorry, typical long-winded speculation from me. But you know what I like about this team? The word "or".

Edited by Datsyerberger

Interesting speculation. Maybe they just wanted to luxury of having a tough guy up their sleeve or someone who's an energy guy and leader for the young Griffins.

My guess is they hung on to him for an insurance policy if they needed his particular skills and also as a great character guy in Grand Rapids.

Didn't mean to repeat what you said, I thought of it independently and posted at the same time...

My guess is they hung on to him for an insurance policy if they needed his particular skills and also as a great character guy in Grand Rapids.

I don't know if he will make the team or not? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As to the management wanting him around, I think you are right on in regards to both his character and "skills" coming in useful from time to time -- especially in GR where you have guys like Erickson (sp?), Adbekater, Kindl, etc who will likely be full timers sooner then later. Downey would be a great mentor in the sense of teaching them a couple tricks of the trade, and just to give them a veteran to try to emulate. I say this because literally every interview I have seen or read with anyone from any of Downey's former teams has nothing but great things to say about him and his character.

Giving up on Sammy, then? I'd think he'd stay over Kopy.

Ah, well.

Sadly, I think that Downey will be a GR guy to be brought up when needed, if he plays at all. I would love to see him up, but I don't see it happening.

I see a Downey-less roster next year.

What would you speculate management's reasons for talking him into not retiring when both he and they knew there was a good chance he wouldn't make the roster this year? It doesn't make much sense a player thinking about calling it quits would change his mind based off of AHL pay and play.

Keeping him around for next year once our roster has shed some players due to salary is the only logical conclusion I could come to, but I'd like to hear some other theories if anyone has any ideas.

If we keep any 2 of Hossa, Sammy, Franzen, and Hudler, there's a hole in the roster:

ZDH

Franzen/Hudler - Flip - Hossa/Sammy

Leino - Helm - Cleary

Maltby - Draper - Kopecky

?

Options for ?:

D-Mac

Downey

Abdelkader

Ritola

D-mac is aging. Abdelkader and Ritola would be battling with established players for a roster spot and possibly not getting a lot of play, which means it would be better for their development to be playing high minutes in the AHL. Downey, despite his cons, can fight. He seems the most logical option to fill the #13 slot.

Giving up on Sammy, then? I'd think he'd stay over Kopy.

Ah, well.

Sadly, I think that Downey will be a GR guy to be brought up when needed, if he plays at all. I would love to see him up, but I don't see it happening.

Except that Kopecky will likely be at least $1m/yr cheaper than Sammy.

Only way I see Sammy staying is if we don't keep Hossa.

With fairly optimistic numbers

Hossa (6) + Franzen or Hudler (3) = 9

Franzen (3) + Hudler (3) + Sammy (2) = 8

Downey's role is strictly that of an enforcer. He (as well as Babs and Kenny Holland) knows he's not a goal scorer, a fantastic skater, or a playmaker. But he brings energy to the locker room and fights well when needed. I'd like to see Downey remain, frankly due to the higher number of fights the league has seen in the years since the lock-out. The number of fighting majors has steadily increased, and with that, the role of the enforcer is being re-born. But similarly, in a cap world, an enforcer must have other skills (P-kill, Clutch performer, etc.), which i'm afraid Downey doesn't have at this time.

I've followed Downey since he was in Hampton Roads (ECHL), and i've always been a big fan of his. I'd like to see him hang around, as it gets old watching half-assed no-talent ass clowns with big size throw the likes of Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg around because they can.

Norton was a waste. McCarty Isn't a heavy weight like he was, Lilja shouldn't fight, and Malts and Draper aren't enforcers.

God, I miss Probert and Kocur........

Except that Kopecky will likely be at least $1m/yr cheaper than Sammy.

Only way I see Sammy staying is if we don't keep Hossa.

With fairly optimistic numbers

Hossa (6) + Franzen or Hudler (3) = 9

Franzen (3) + Hudler (3) + Sammy (2) = 8

Fair enough. I certainly see where you get that.

If I were the GM, Downey would be the #13 guy, but if I were the GM, we'd be getting first shot at the waivers list.

I figured if Downey had a shot at a full time roster position, it would have been this season after taking care of business for most of last year. Unless there is a big shift in personnel I don't see them showing him any love next season either...

Me too unfortunately.

However Downey still does his job well and his salary is only £500k, so who knows.

Not to split hairs UK but you've listed pounds which would make is US salary in dollars roughly $700K, which is a little high :ph34r:... At any rate, I agree with you, I unfortunately don't see Aaron around next year and this is coming from a guy that loves him some Downey.

Guest micah

First off, I love Downey and I hope he's a Wing next year and I hope he plays every game from tonight on out, including every playoff game.....but he won't.

As much as I like him, I have to admit that he isn't a great hockey player, and his fighting skills are, while good, replaceable. I suspect that he was talking into playing this year because Wings brass wanted a guy in GR who they could call up if they needed to, and so far I don't think they think they really needed to. Downey isn't such a unique tallent at enforcing that they'd have the forthought to sighn him last summer with the 2009/10 season in mind. They didn't sign him last year to ensure his availability for next year.

All that said, kick ass tonight, Downey! Hopefully you show something tonight that makes the decision makers decide to keep you up, and keep you around for next year.

But similarly, in a cap world, an enforcer must have other skills (P-kill, Clutch performer, etc.), which i'm afraid Downey doesn't have at this time.

That's an important point.

Fortunately, the Wings are absolutely loaded with talent on the first 3 lines, and some here would argue that the roster space spent for a 2-4 minute pure enforcer would be worth clearing space for our big guns.

Not to split hairs UK but you've listed pounds which would make is US salary in dollars roughly $700K, which is a little high :ph34r:... At any rate, I agree with you, I unfortunately don't see Aaron around next year and this is coming from a guy that loves him some Downey.

I meant dollars :lol:

And dont lie $500,000 is about £2.51 ;)

God, I miss Probert and Kocur........

I know. I was at a B's game the other day and a bunch of B's fans were lecturing me on how Lucic could beat Probert and Kocur. Now, Lucic is a great young kid, who is a great role player, and decent fighter, but I got a chuckle out of this one...

Although Lucic on the wings would be sweet.

Zetterberg-Dats-Homer

Gaborik-Flip-Hossa

Hudler-Helm-Franzen

Ovechkin-Kopecky-Crosby

Lidstorm-Orr

Raffy-Chara

Coffey-Fedorov

Gordie Howe in Net with Conklin backing him up.

I see him doing what we're doing with him now. I dont think they'd talk him out of retirement to just throw him aside after a year.

Most likely. I don't think they talked him out of retirement just to give him AHL pay/play.