• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gnredwing

McCarty

Rate this topic

I predict Mac will be in the NHL next year, but not a Winged Wheel. We have too many good young players who need to be in Detroit next year, not Grand Rapids. The only way he stays is if we trade enough mid-tier players to free the cap space to sign Franzen and Hossa and there's room for both him and the youngsters to fill out the roster cheaply. Other then that, he is good enough to play in the NHL, but doesn't crack our roster anymore.

I think the whole "enforcer" thing is overrated. Our players are hockey players, none of them are sissies. They were a lot more physical in the playoffs last year then anyone gave them credit for going into it and it'll be the same this year. Playing different teams every night is just a different thing then playing a best of seven war with one where you can do like the Flames did a few years ago and give up a bunch of goals at the end of a game and absorb a hundred penalty minutes running our goalie and fighting everyone on the ice to intimidate for the rest of the series. Babcock has toughened the team, but fighting through 82 is stupid, not soft.

THANK YOU!!! I absolutely agree with what you said there in bold. Case in point, Lilja vs Weber. Lilja has been out for what? 3 to 4 weeks now? And is STILL suffering from the side effects and headaches? Fighting in the 82 game season is only something I wish our players would do when needed, like someone taking a run at dats/zatta/hossa....or any smaller guys....and that includes franzen because lets face it, for a big guy he's softer than butter on a 90 degree summer day. I've seen him way too many times drop after being love tapped and not stick up for himself or anyone else, and honestly I'd rather he NOT fight if he doesn't have to because he's way to valuable to this team to lose and he's prone to injury.

In the playoffs though, I say if need be...drop the gloves or participate in extra carriculars (sp?) for the intimidation factor...just be smart about it.

Then why Ozzie....

Because he's a great goalie who steps it up when doubted and will no doubt prove it again in the playoffs.

I trust my eyes to Dr. Rahmani. His homer glasses come in a delightful shade of rose.

I'd love to see Mac in GR as a player/coach, or even just as a player teaching our youngsters to throw punches and stand up for their mates. I'd love to see him back with the Wings full time if he still had it in him, but alas, time and life are the enemies of us all.

My sister once said about my singing that I have the face for radio, but not the voice. Mac has both. I'd love to see him (or hear him) do broadcasting when he hangs up the skates.

I predict Mac will be in the NHL next year, but not a Winged Wheel. We have too many good young players who need to be in Detroit next year, not Grand Rapids. The only way he stays is if we trade enough mid-tier players to free the cap space to sign Franzen and Hossa and there's room for both him and the youngsters to fill out the roster cheaply. Other then that, he is good enough to play in the NHL, but doesn't crack our roster anymore.

I think the whole "enforcer" thing is overrated. Our players are hockey players, none of them are sissies. They were a lot more physical in the playoffs last year then anyone gave them credit for going into it and it'll be the same this year. Playing different teams every night is just a different thing then playing a best of seven war with one where you can do like the Flames did a few years ago and give up a bunch of goals at the end of a game and absorb a hundred penalty minutes running our goalie and fighting everyone on the ice to intimidate for the rest of the series. Babcock has toughened the team, but fighting through 82 is stupid, not soft.

Enforcers are not overrated.

And yes, several of our players are sissies. Franzen and Sammy are sissies by backing down from fights and turtling at any chance they get. In fact, I'd use a different word than "sissy" to define some of Franzen's tactics, but I don't want my first post of the day to involve bad language, so I'll hold off.

Also, it's not a given that the team will be more physical this year in the playoffs. The 4th line has shown no physicality all year, and the other lines have followed suit. This is a vanilla team right now that wins games simply by outscoring teams. In the playoffs, you can't win that way since there aren't as many high scoring games. You have to be more physical.

And yes, several of our players are sissies. Franzen and Sammy are sissies by backing down from fights and turtling at any chance they get. In fact, I'd use a different word than "sissy" to define some of Franzen's tactics, but I don't want my first post of the day to involve bad language, so I'll hold off.

Also, it's not a given that the team will be more physical this year in the playoffs. The 4th line has shown no physicality all year, and the other lines have followed suit. This is a vanilla team right now that wins games simply by outscoring teams. In the playoffs, you can't win that way since there aren't as many high scoring games. You have to be more physical.

I know what you mean, and I agree with you, that playoff games require more than just good offense, but it sounded funny to me when I first read it.

That's what Drake brought us last year in the playoffs. Grit, spirit, energy, and you knew if you crossed him, you'd be flat on your butt, or on your knees crying for mommy. You can't replace that with pure skill. Skill is important, of course, but you have to get it done defensively, and fight to get the puck. It comes down to all-around domination, not just in one area.

Mac (to return to the topic) had it all, and a scoring touch to boot. We are in sore need of a player like he was.

Mac will be called up at some point with others. Anyone can be on the team for playoffs, and just having a vetern presence on the road to step in if injuries happen will almost ensure him at least being on the team...may not see action but he'll be up.

I don't get when someone says something against a player it's called "hate". I'm a big Chelios fan, but the playoffs are a grind. Chelios didn't play a game in the Finals last year, and I'm ok, due to his age, if he only plays in the playoffs due to an injury or someone else not playing up to par. Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lebda, and Ericsson should be the starting 6.

I would take out Lebda and put in Chelios or Meech. Lebda is the worst defenseman under contract who will be healthy for the opener. Hell, I'd take Kindl, Pyett, or Kolosov over Lebda.

Because he's a great goalie who steps it up when doubted and will no doubt prove it again in the playoffs.

I trust my eyes to Dr. Rahmani. His homer glasses come in a delightful shade of rose.

I'd love to see Mac in GR as a player/coach, or even just as a player teaching our youngsters to throw punches and stand up for their mates. I'd love to see him back with the Wings full time if he still had it in him, but alas, time and life are the enemies of us all.

My sister once said about my singing that I have the face for radio, but not the voice. Mac has both. I'd love to see him (or hear him) do broadcasting when he hangs up the skates.

Can I use that?

Mac will always be a favourite in Hockeytown but he is too injury prone to be anything like he was. My guess would be that we will not see him in the line up unless we have an injury or need to shake things up. If its more grit we need and we have to choose between Mac and Downey I think an old, worn out Mac still bring more to the table then Downey ever would.

players that will be in Detroit for the playoffs (to cover injuries, crappy play)

1. Ericsson (of course, will start if Lilja is scrambled eggs)

2. Helm (earned it last season)

3. Abdelkader

4. Leino

5. Downey

MaCarty is D.O.N.E. in Detroit. If he weren't then he would have been up for the two games that Downey played just recently.

I would take out Lebda and put in Chelios or Meech. Lebda is the worst defenseman under contract who will be healthy for the opener. Hell, I'd take Kindl, Pyett, or Kolosov over Lebda.

Well, you may have your wish next season, Lebda could very well be traded for a low pick (or the ever popular $1.00.) I am not of authority of course, but I fully believe along with Ericsson, Kindl will be on the roster next season. Especially if Lilja can't get his act together.

Better not...

there are other better and more deserving of a shot at the post season.

...unless the griffs are in the playoffs, but i have no clue as i don't follow the AHL at all.

Edited by OsGOD

but I fully believe along with Ericsson, Kindl will be on the roster next season.

Have you looked at Jakub's stats lately? While he's improved from last year, he's still a -12! If you don't like Lebda's +/-, you'll get worse with Kindl and without the speed of Lebda.

Jakub Kindl's stats in GR:

GP G A PTS +/- PIM

74 5 27 32 -12 72 2008-09 Regular Season

75 3 14 17 -34 82 2007-08 Regular Season

IMO, Kindl needs another full year with the Griffins before thinking about going to Detroit.

Edited by GROwl

Mac will be up for the playoffs. He may not touch the ice, but he'll be here. He can be a great motivater.

He can best contribute to the organization's overall success as a motivator in Grand Rapids for their playoff run. He fits in well and the young boys really look up to him. His 4 rings provides much needed leadership.

Mac is probably done. But what do I know?

At the beginning of the season I predicted that he would have a great season because he would start 2008-09 in better shape then he had been in the previous 5-6 years. :blush:

Do you really want Franzen fighting when he has previously had concussions? I believe he is far too valuable to the team to miss as many games as it would take to recover.