• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

adamlazzara

Should Datsyuk be named the next Captain?

Rate this topic

Some of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while is why Datsyuk should not be Captain.

His bad english? His bad english is heard and understood when speaking to teammates, coaches and refs. Not to mention probably the best interviews on the team.

He's a quiet leader? As opposed to Lidstrom and Zetterburg screaming and shouting all the time.

It may distract from his play? WTF?!?! If the "C" is a distraction, I don't even know what to say.

I think either way you go Datsyuk or Zetterburg the right decision will be made. I can't actually think of a Russian Captian. Maybe someone can help me. I just think some of your guys reasons are ridiculous. The "C" should be about leadership, not skill. That being said Cheli and Draper could make a good captian. Right?

right. but... I also think that Dats is not captain material but what it has to do with his nationality? Try to think about Ovie as a captain...

right. but... I also think that Dats is not captain material but what it has to do with his nationality? Try to think about Ovie as a captain...

Oh no! I definitly don't think his nationality has anything to do with it. I did not even think of Ovie being Captain. That is why I was asking is who is a russain capt. I can't believe AO slipped my mind.

Some of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while is why Datsyuk should not be Captain.

His bad english? His bad english is heard and understood when speaking to teammates, coaches and refs. Not to mention probably the best interviews on the team.

He's a quiet leader? As opposed to Lidstrom and Zetterburg screaming and shouting all the time.

It may distract from his play? WTF?!?! If the "C" is a distraction, I don't even know what to say.

I think either way you go Datsyuk or Zetterburg the right decision will be made. I can't actually think of a Russian Captian. Maybe someone can help me. I just think some of your guys reasons are ridiculous. The "C" should be about leadership, not skill. That being said Cheli and Draper could make a good captian. Right?

Alexei Yashin (not comparing him to Datsyuk, by any means, but he was a Russian captain)

Edited by bonan78

When Lidstrom retires (hopefully not for another 2 or 3 years), I seriously think Hank will be the next captain. Dats is a great player, the best two-way player in the game hands-down, but Zetterberg is better suited for the captaincy, especially since the organization seems to have been grooming him for it, and that Datsyuk has been known on several occasions to defer to him. Questions is, when either Z or Dats get promoted, who gets the other 'A'?

Hank needs to step up to be Captain. It just looks to me this year that he's not playing with an much intensity or heart, but he's also the person Datsyuk goes to (ex. Playoffs when he didnt understand a question and he was like, "Hannnnkkkk...")

We need Hank to step up and show some intensity, fire, motivation, grit, and more passion to become captain.

LOL this is classic :48 reporter asks him a question and his response to it at :57 is priceless!

When Lidstrom retires (hopefully not for another 2 or 3 years), I seriously think Hank will be the next captain. Dats is a great player, the best two-way player in the game hands-down, but Zetterberg is better suited for the captaincy, especially since the organization seems to have been grooming him for it, and that Datsyuk has been known on several occasions to defer to him. Questions is, when either Z or Dats get promoted, who gets the other 'A'?

Franzen, if he's still here. That's my slightly educated guess.

Z is the next captain of the Red Wings.

I think the 12 year deal solidified Hank becoming the Wings next captain. I wouldn't have a problem with either as a captain, and whoever isn't we all know is going to be the alternate from there on out. No biggy. There are so many leaders on the team anyway. It's not like the captain has to do much. Just listen to refs during penalty calls...once our team becomes a younger one, I would say I would worry about leadership, but we all know we have some great leadership waiting to take over once Lidstrom and Draper hang em up.

Guest mindfly

Yes he should, who cares if he can hardly speak the language it's what you do on the ice on a daily basis that counts, and he's the most consistent player on the team. He brings it every single game, something that Zetterberg doesn't who take games off etc.

I had also wondered who would take the A when Hank had the C and Draper retired.

Hank=C

Dats=A

Do we go with 2 more guys with the A, or just one? I think they gave Dats the (well-deserved) A to give him some experience before Lids and Drapes move on. With Hank and Pav being a bit younger, they might go with 1 A for a bit until the new one gets used to it, and then maybe add another should the need arise.

I was wondering about Kronner (yeah, I'm biased). It seems like he's always doing interviews where he sounds like he has a grasp of the feel of the team, and they all seem to like him, from what I've read. He's not about ready to retire, nor is he one of the younger inexperienced ones.

Franzen would be another good choice, as Electrophile said, as would Rafalski. And in case of injuries, they have Cheli to step in for a game or 2 as needed.

Could someone jog my memory? I'm 99% sure Hank had the C in Timra. Has Pavel ever had it before? Not saying this is a deciding factor. Just something that's been knocking in my head.

Oh, and one more question: I wasn't around here when Stevie retired. Was there much controversy on these boards as to who would be the next captain after him?

Edited by 55fan

No, Datsyuk isn't the next Captain. His English isn't that good for public press conferences or interviews. Zetterberg is for sure the next Captain. Remember last year all the interviews with Lidstrom? Zetteberg was right there beside him too. So I think they're sort of prepping him.

Id say the best case for Z for C is the contract he signed, he showed he'd give up the HUGE cash to stay with the team he loved, he could have EASILY gotten more then Dats for his cap hit, but instead he gave up some of it so the wings can stay the great org they are and hes locked up for life. Dats isn't a bad choice, but definately looking like Z is the better choice.

Guest tini

I cant see pavel being the next captain. You can tell even just by the length of z contract that they want him to be the next captain.

In some ways I actually agree with micah. I would love to have a captain would does show some fire and is outspoken and would yell at his team if they're not playing like they should. I'm not ragging on Lids, Dats or Zetterberg, but I never bought into the whole "lead by example" thing.

When Stevie left they should have retired the C and just had three As. haha.... barring captain's injury has a team every actually had no captain but three As?

Some teams have gone without one for a while even without anyone being injured, but no team has historically gone without one as the way they always choose to do things. Then there's the Wild who rotate the C every month.

Some teams have gone without one for a while even without anyone being injured, but no team has historically gone without one as the way they always choose to do things. Then there's the Wild who rotate the C every month.

Ya, the wild are kinda weird about the C, I think that it should be Koviu personally, but I guess it works for them

For me, I could care less who is captain. If it's dats great, if it's Z great, if it's someone else on this team great.

The captain is there to motivate, sure, but you don't think the other guys in the room ALSO motivate?

There are soo many great players on this team that the C is essentially there so the press know who to interview a little more, and who can talk a little more to the refs. I don't care even if kopecky friggin gets C (basically I'm saying the C on the jersey doesn't matter when you have a team this good, with this much skill, this much leadership already, and this much experience...not just the players but the whole organization)

I'm not even going to comment on the "*******" debate here.

The rational people on here know its not true, and besides...what's wrong with *******? I like them....

Though I'm sure Pasha would be honored beyond words to be named captain, I think he would be willing to defer to someone else and work with him, whomever it might be.

Guest micah
Though I'm sure Pasha would be honored beyond words to be named captain, I think he would be willing to defer to someone else and work with him, whomever it might be.

Are there any wings who you think either wouldn't be honored to be Captain or who wouldn't be willing to defer to someone else and work with him, whomever it might be? These are professionals, no need to praise them for doing the bare minimum. If tyhere was any player on the roster who felt otherwise, I hope they'd be booted out of town post haste.

Guest micah
In some ways I actually agree with micah. I would love to have a captain would does show some fire and is outspoken and would yell at his team if they're not playing like they should. I'm not ragging on Lids, Dats or Zetterberg, but I never bought into the whole "lead by example" thing.

Yup. I know that when I'm having an off day, I respond better to a respected friend or teammate grabbing me by the collar, shaking me, and screaming "wake the f--k up, dildo! You're better than this!" then I do to the people around me just quietly performing their jobs at the same high level that they usually perform their jobs at. I doubt I'm alone. I make a Wings-esque salary (though not a Lids/Dats/Z salary), I am recognized in my field as one of a very few people who can do what I do at the level I do it at - butdespite being a uniquely-skilled professional, I benefit from the occasional "get with it, f--khole!" I really, really appreciate the rare person who's able and willing to deliver it.