• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

adamlazzara

Should Datsyuk be named the next Captain?

Rate this topic

Anyone want to guess which player was flat on his ass two seconds after this picture was taken?

610x.jpg

No seriously, what happened? I must have missed it. Any youtube link to the fight/brawl (don't spoil it if you have the youtube link, otherwise, do)?

Guest micah
Where am I going...? They're ******* and Iginla put them both on the IR that game when he unleashed his raging intensity on them. They never stood a chance. :(

Can you seriously immagine any situation where Lidstrom or Datsyuk would actually square up in a fair fight with a guy like Iginla? Your sarcasm is cute and all, but for real.

Both Z and D would be excellent choices but I feel that Zetterberg's demeanor and style of conduct on the ice may be more conducive for captaincy. That being said, Dats "acts" a lot more like Lidstrom does: cool, calm, collected, extremely smart.

I think it will be Zetterberg but that doesn't take anything at all away from the the tremendous player Datsyuk is and the impact he has on and off the ice.

There is no doubt that Z and D are the face of this franchise and even more once Lidstrom steps down.

Guest micah
No seriously, what happened? I must have missed it. Any youtube link to the fight/brawl (don't spoil it if you have the youtube link, otherwise, do)?

LOL. I hate to spoil it for you, but there was no fight, no brawl. Iginla was probably scared. Lids and Dats are'nt soft. They aren't even remotely close to being soft.

A month ago, a skilled player gave one of their teammates a concussion that put him out of action to-date. How did they respond? Did they:

A) Seek retribution, sending the message that nobody f's up our boy and gets away with it?

B) Light up the scoreboard, sending the massage that nobody f's up our boy and gets away with it?

C) Do nothing.

Are you aware of the concept of context? Lilly blatantly hauled Weber down in what could be construed as a cheap play. He got challenged and worked in a fight when he got caught quick and couldn't recover or for that matter cover.

I don't think a message, or a massage for that matter, is really warranted.

Not to mention no one showed up that night. The fight was a meaningless blip in a complete trainwreck of a game.

Guest Shoreline
Can you seriously immagine any situation where Lidstrom or Datsyuk would actually square up in a fair fight with a guy like Iginla? Your sarcasm is cute and all, but for real.

For real, bro, how many cups does Iggy have?

Looks like leadership isn't all about kicking ass, but leading teams. Can't lead teams from the penalty box or dressing room while they're out on the ice. You're not the type who likes to think about s*** before you say it, are you? Your posts are about the most retarded in the 6 years I've been here.

No, as Nick and Pavel are just a tad bit smarter than Iginla. Brains matter more than balls. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the Stanley Cup is decided by the game of hockey and not a dick measuring contest.

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain, thanks. I don't want Pavel to get the C. Give it to someone with a bit of heart, a bit of passion. Also, a set of balls wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

Steve Yzerman might have been on the quiet side, but at least the guy had heart. I don't remember him ever thinking he was too fragile and precious to play in an allstar game even though he was healthy enough for regular season games.

Respect. It's obviously not for everyone. <_<

Looks like leadership isn't all about kicking ass, but leading teams. Can't lead teams from the penalty box or dressing room while they're out on the ice. You're not the type who likes to think about s*** before you say it, are you? Your posts are about the most retarded in the 6 years I've been here.

Iginla isn't even that good of a captain -- he's only been in 3 fights this year.

Prust, Nystrom and Roy - all with at least three times as many fights - would all make much better captains for the Flames.

Edited by egroen

Guest micah

Bro?

Leadership is about motivating others around you to be the best they possibly can.

I contend that there is no captain in this league that is surrounded by more raw tallent than Nick Lidtrom. Given what he has to work with, I don't think he's doing all that great a job of motivating his guys.

I don't get the Cup question. Is it your contention that if a captain is on a Cup winning team, he must be a better Captain than those that aren't on cup winning teams?

Iginla isn't even that good of a captain -- he's only been in 3 fights this year.

Prust, Nystrom and Roy - all with at least three times as many fights - would all make much better captains for the Flames.

Tony Twist was the greatest captain ever. No argument.

Pavel does lead by example by playing consistently every night. But he does not have the commanding presence that Z or Lidstrom have or that Yzerman had. Not that they are bossy or commanding but they have this presence that demands respect. Dats is really funny and kinda weird and goofy so I wouldn't take him as seriously.

Guest micah

Nice work! If Micah thinks that sticking up for your teammates occasionaly is part of being a good Captain, he must think that the person who has the most fights would make the best captain.

Quiz: Which logical falacy are you employing here?

Guest Shoreline
Bro?

Leadership is about motivating others around you to be the best they possibly can.

I contend that there is no captain in this league that is surrounded by more raw tallent than Nick Lidtrom. Given what he has to work with, I don't think he's doing all that great a job of motivating his guys.

I don't get the Cup question. Is it your contention that if a captain is on a Cup winning team, he must be a better Captain than those that aren't on cup winning teams?

Obviously a team to win the cup needs motivation. Unless you suggest that a team can win a cup with a bunch of lackadaisical "raw talent", in which case, take a look at how many times the Wings have been eliminated while playing lackadaisical hockey with all of their "talent", which is very much of similar teams with big names. Last I saw, when this soft, ***** European captain motivated this team to a cup win, our team was bruising up opponents (with some nice highlight reel hits from Kronwall) while putting pucks in the net, and most importantly, winning key games in the playoffs. Last I checked, fights are motivation for a team when they're losing on the scoreboard. Again, I dare ask if you've really even thought this through, or if you're just trying to get a reaction out of people by stupidly suggesting that Lidstrom is both a ***** and not motivation for a team that he just led to the cup.

Guest micah

So you're not going to answer the question I asked?

I'll repeat it. Is it your contention that if a captain is on a Cup winning team, he must be a better Captain than those that aren't on cup winning teams?

Here's a 2nd question. Is it possible that a skilled team (we'll say for the sake of argument that they are the most skilled team in the league) that wins the Cup might have done so without having their captain be their primary source of motivation?

Edited by micah

Obviously a team to win the cup needs motivation. Unless you suggest that a team can win a cup with a bunch of lackadaisical "raw talent", in which case, take a look at how many times the Wings have been eliminated while playing lackadaisical hockey with all of their "talent", which is very much of similar teams with big names. Last I saw, when this soft, ***** European captain motivated this team to a cup win, our team was bruising up opponents (with some nice highlight reel hits from Kronwall) while putting pucks in the net, and most importantly, winning key games in the playoffs. Last I checked, fights are motivation for a team when they're losing on the scoreboard. Again, I dare ask if you've really even thought this through, or if you're just trying to get a reaction out of people by stupidly suggesting that Lidstrom is both a ***** and not motivation for a team that he just led to the cup.

And is the first EUROPEAN to be captain of a stanley cup winning team.

Our next captain when Lids retires is Zee - that's the whole REASON Zee was brought here.

Nice work! If Micah thinks that sticking up for your teammates occasionaly is part of being a good Captain, he must think that the person who has the most fights would make the best captain.

Quiz: Which logical falacy are you employing here?

Considering we are talking about someone who refers to himself in the third person and proudly proclaims Lidstrom is a terrible captain and Datsyuk (as well as the rest of the team) has no heart, I think we are easily outside the realm of even the high school debate club.

bingo.

maybe not stupidly, though.....playfully? antagonistically? snotty? not stupidly, imho.

Iginla got his ass whooped, thats what happened.

What you don't see is Datsyuk prowling just off camera.

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain, thanks. I don't want Pavel to get the C. Give it to someone with a bit of heart, a bit of passion. Also, a set of balls wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

Steve Yzerman might have been on the quiet side, but at least the guy had heart. I don't remember him ever thinking he was too fragile and precious to play in an allstar game even though he was healthy enough for regular season games.

f*** the all star game. Nick understands that playoff games in June are more important than exhibition games in February.

before the topic went down the "most of our players are *******" trail, i read some posts near the beginning that actually changed my mind. while i stated in a different thread (or agreed, actually) that i think dats is the only player who plays really hard every single night, including lids and z, i do think that he works better as a sort of under-the-radar guy. i mean, obviously he's not an unknown in the league..but he's, what, fourth in points right now? obviously the top three get a ton of attention, number two and three the most, but i think a lot of guys below datsyuk get a LOT more attention than he does, and i think that's kinda how he likes it.

in fact, i wonder if giving the C to zetterberg would bring out that intensity in him. then pavel can defer to hank all while kicking massive amounts of ass on the ice and not having to worry about anything else. *shrug* keep dats as an A and let him do his thing.

and p.s. our team is amazing, and calling them "*******" is really insulting to a fan of their team...especially from someone who calls themselves a fan.

Some of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while is why Datsyuk should not be Captain.

His bad english? His bad english is heard and understood when speaking to teammates, coaches and refs. Not to mention probably the best interviews on the team.

He's a quiet leader? As opposed to Lidstrom and Zetterburg screaming and shouting all the time.

It may distract from his play? WTF?!?! If the "C" is a distraction, I don't even know what to say.

I think either way you go Datsyuk or Zetterburg the right decision will be made. I can't actually think of a Russian Captian. Maybe someone can help me. I just think some of your guys reasons are ridiculous. The "C" should be about leadership, not skill. That being said Cheli and Draper could make a good captian. Right?

Bro?

I don't know the rules on the boards but you have to violating all of them! HAHA. I have never read someone with such jaded logic as you. Rule #387 You will be kicked off if your an idiot.

Man your luckey I am not a moderator. HAHA