• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

softshoes

Blue Jackets on alert for Octopi

Rate this topic

eeee This makes me so freaking GIDDY! I can't wait! I'll be cheering you on with Miller76 tomorrow!!! We're watching the game at my place before we go to the ponda and cheer the Guppies and the Ducks on to beating the crap out of each other LOL

POWER TO THE 'PUS!

This article makes it sound like octopi are a year-round tradition.

"We have not had one (octopus thrown) this season," Granger said, adding that arena personnel know what to look for after witnessing octopi hit the ice during previous seasons.

No kidding you have been successful. You have never hosted a PLAYOFF game!

ha i was getting ready to say the same thing. No 'pusses because you all suck in the regular season!

that and the fact Jodi Shelley hasn't been on their team this season... before he left everytime he hit the ice it was like a 'pus was hitting the ice :D

Edited by OsGOD

Easy way of getting this in..

I already own a cheap 50$ Columbus jersey that I could wear to "show my support" for their team. They'll think less of me as I scroll in with a octopus hanging from my thigh and get in easy, and switch to my red wing jersey.

..If only I lived in USA this would work atleast >.>

I was thinking the same thing, it really would be simple. Now the guy that bought 2 tickets, that's brilliant!

I've been on this board every day for almost 2 years and thought with this topic it was time to register.

I'm heading to Columbus for games 3 and 4.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I WILL BE THROWING AN OCTOPUS.

Wings fan for life and I cannot wait to carry on the tradition in Columbus.

I've got 2 tickets just like the guy in pittsburgh last year.

You heard it here, look for it, it will happen.

DO IT!!! And get someone else there to get some pictures!!!! I actually envy you! :)

getting ready to head to Columbus with a buddy of mine. His brother is a jackets fan and got us tickets 8 rows from the ice. I'm gonna use tonight to scope out the arena in preperation for thursdays game. Just bought a nice 4 pound octopus. The plan is to use my standing room ticket for game4 to launch it onto the ice after the national anthem. since i surely will be thrown out ill be heading back in with my other ticket to join my fiance in our seats 4 rows behind the wings bench.

And plans have definetly been made for photos and possibly video.....

Guest Shoreline
getting ready to head to Columbus with a buddy of mine. His brother is a jackets fan and got us tickets 8 rows from the ice. I'm gonna use tonight to scope out the arena in preperation for thursdays game. Just bought a nice 4 pound octopus. The plan is to use my standing room ticket for game4 to launch it onto the ice after the national anthem. since i surely will be thrown out ill be heading back in with my other ticket to join my fiance in our seats 4 rows behind the wings bench.

:lol:

:thumbup:

Good luck!

Will you be boiling the octopi tonight? -- definitely recommended!

As for Blue Jackets fans looking for an octopus alternative, I would never want to encourage irresponsible behavior

This kind of crap always irritates me. If you don't understand the symbolism of the octopus, fine. But keep your mouth shut, then. We don't throw it because it's smelly and slimy. It's a Detroit tradition, and it's hardly irresponsible. When he can write an article about the history of octopi throwing and detail the symbolism of it, I'll take him seriously.

This kind of crap always irritates me. If you don't understand the symbolism of the octopus, fine. But keep your mouth shut, then. We don't throw it because it's smelly and slimy. It's a Detroit tradition, and it's hardly irresponsible. When he can write an article about the history of octopi throwing and detail the symbolism of it, I'll take him seriously.

I love the tradition but, you know this is their first time, and with all first timers we should be gentle. :rolleyes:

i am so sick of everyone not respecting one of the greatest traditions in hockey. i know that you mainly throw an octopus on the ice during playoff time. but during the fall i was interning at the chicago suntimes in their sports department. when the hockey season began and they found out chicago was playing the wings in the classic, you wouldve thought that chicago stole the name hockeytown. people jumped on the hawks bandwagon so fast and many of the SPORT WRITERS could not name more than five blackhawks on the team. i took so much crap at work that for the first detroit chicago game, i bought an octopus and threw one on the ice after the national anthem... though i bought two tickets expecting to get kicked out i didn't. here is a picture of me practicing throwing the octopus in the streets of chicago.

I salute your dedication, but I would hardly call throwing the Octopi one of the greatest traditions in hockey.

I salute your dedication, but I would hardly call throwing the Octopi one of the greatest traditions in hockey.

I'd say it is one of the, if not the greatest team playoff traditions in hockey.

Edited by egroen

So despite actively trying to stop it, octopi still hit the ice. Who was overseeing security on this one, Steve Mason?

So despite actively trying to stop it, octopi still hit the ice. Who was overseeing security on this one, Steve Mason?

Has there ever been a series where they successfully kept the octopi out of the building?

It always winds up there somewhere.