• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hoogs

Avery punches Varlamov in face

Rate this topic

It was hardly a punch, and comparing it to cross-checking a guy in the face (Lucic) and hitting a guy with the butt-end of your stick (Carcillo) is ridiculous.

Both of those were hand to head, if the sticks were involved both guys that got hit would be on the ice bleeding.

Yup Different Era so how can this be a acceptable comparison but nothing else can be?

Sean Avery to Maltby now? geez....

I dont want Avery's head.... Just wish he'd play hockey.... Last time I looked "***** slapper" wasnt a position

That's the thing. He does play hockey. And he's not too terrible at it either. NYR 18 GP 5G 7A 12PTS +/-4 34 PIM

Not too shabby, huh? He wouldn't be in the NHL if he didn't have skills. He just happens to be an ass as well. He knew he'd never be an offensive powerhouse, so he found himself a niche. He's an agitator and a pest, who can also put the puck in the net every now and then.

Guest Shoreline

The only problem I see is the precedent it sets. If Avery isn't punished then it's ok for the Caps to go punch Lundqvist in the head. This is where the message sending thing gets out of hand and is stupid. Avery should be suspended if the NHL is even semi-serious about eliminating message sending of this sort, and life goes on.

Both of those were hand to head, if the sticks were involved both guys that got hit would be on the ice bleeding.

Regardless, both are substantially different from what basically amounts to a facewash.

and i wish crying fans would suck it up and watch the game and stop crying abotu every little thing avrey does and wanting suspentions when there has been far worse that has not gotten even its own thread on this board. its a different era because of all the crying about getting hit...i mean now players are going after other players for a clean hit? i mean come on. suck it up and play hockey.

and yes i agree malts does get away with some stuff that he should get his ass kicked for. i like him..i like when he does that. but don't get pissed when he gets laid out for doing it.

This is a forum for opinions....we're all Arm Chair ref's here.

I'm not gonna get angry when Maltby gets laid out for doing what he does...HE did something to deserve it

Varlomov was making saves..didnt deserve to get a face wash, punch, tap, what ever it is classified as.

If Lucic got suspended why not Mike C. from Calgary..(Punch on Havlat) THAT was a cheap shot and should be dealt with.

When Avery is captain of a team and has his number is in rafters and has the respect of fans all over the sports world.....I guess he will be able to get away with anything he wants.....

My thing with Different Eras is the way the game is called now days..... that's all back then you didnt geta penalty unless the guy was bleeding (I jest). Anyone who likes Avery good for you ....Avery is a Punk...

plain and simple. do i think he should be suspended for the Varlomov thing?...No noway. But do i think the league should have to deal with is B.S. any more... no Noway.

Show me the Thread and video of Maltby cranking someone after the whistle (for no reason)

and ill never speak on the subject again.....

That's the thing. He does play hockey. And he's not too terrible at it either. NYR 18 GP 5G 7A 12PTS +/-4 34 PIM

Not too shabby, huh? He wouldn't be in the NHL if he didn't have skills. He just happens to be an ass as well. He knew he'd never be an offensive powerhouse, so he found himself a niche. He's an agitator and a pest, who can also put the puck in the net every now and then.

maybe he should concentrate on putting the puck in the net then..... much better reason to be known for dont you think?

The only problem I see is the precedent it sets. If Avery isn't punished then it's ok for the Caps to go punch Lundqvist in the head. This is where the message sending thing gets out of hand and is stupid. Avery should be suspended if the NHL is even semi-serious about eliminating message sending of this sort, and life goes on.

Exactly, I dont see how this can be shrugged off as part of the game. In the regular season, maybe, becuase they don't play each other every other night. But in the playoffs it's different, so now the Caps get a free run at Lundqvist, then where does it go?

I would gain tremendous respect for Tortorella if he benched Avery for Game 4, to me he was nothing but a distraction to the team. And he embarrassed them at the end, I would be embarrassed if Avery was a part of the Wings and acted like that.

Exactly, I dont see how this can be shrugged off as part of the game. In the regular season, maybe, becuase they don't play each other every other night. But in the playoffs it's different, so now the Caps get a free run at Lundqvist, then where does it go?

I would gain tremendous respect for Tortorella if he benched Avery for Game 4, to me he was nothing but a distraction to the team. And he embarrassed them at the end, I would be embarrassed if Avery was a part of the Wings and acted like that.

It wasn't shrugged off, he was given a penalty for his actions. But his actions consisted of essentially a shove/facewash to the goaltender. What kind of precedent does it set if he IS suspended? No shoving/facewashing at the end of games? Not to mention Varlamov initiated the incident ...

That's why the Wings got rid of him. They didn't want to deal with his antics. However, LA did, and the Rangers did and do, hell, even the Stars wanted him, till he got suspended for some stupid crap that had no bearing on the game.

These are grown men playing a game. Lighten up. Noone got hurt, nor was there ever any danger of anyone getting hurt. The guy got a facewash over a cage. Life goes on.

What precedent has been set by practically all the other playoff games ending in similar fashion with little to no "suspensions"? This s*** happens every year and nobody's worse for the wear over it. I can't even believe this little facewash is even a topic here, and yet people are criticized for following Crosby around bitching about him?

esteef

Edited by esteef

Holy s***!!!!!

Thank god that dude had a helmet on... he might of got his teeth knocked out with that punch!!!!

i always crack up how the people with the MOST PROTECTION on the ice (you know to stop a ******* 100+ mph piece of sometimes frozen rubber) get treated like they a ******* glass....

It was a love tap... man love between two men... give it a rest all you bitchers.

Guest Shoreline
What precedent has been sent by practically all the other playoff games ending in similar fashion with little to no "suspensions"? This s*** happens every year and nobody's worse for the wear over it. I can't even believe this little facewash is even a topic here, and yet people are criticized for following Crosby around bitching about him?

esteef

That's a great attempt to rationalize some homoerotic obsession with Crosby who's only guilty of being the marketing face of the NHL. Big whoop. Quite a contrast to a person who doesn't quite grasp the stupidity of his actions. Tort's face said all that needs to be said. It's enjoyable from a Jerry Springer or WWE-like storyline drama, but some of us actually like to keep the feuds on the ice and during play, rather than take stupidity to a whole new level the way Avery has.

And maybe you're new to hockey, but that wasn't even remotely close to a facewash. One's hand remains in their face for some short period of time. That was a punch right to the head. The fact that you minimize the Crosby obsession and poo poo off the Avery issues as comparable shows that you're not in the least bit rational.

Holy s***!!!!!

Thank god that dude had a helmet on... he might of got his teeth knocked out with that punch!!!!

i always crack up how the people with the MOST PROTECTION on the ice (you know to stop a ******* 100+ mph piece of sometimes frozen rubber) get treated like they a ******* glass....

Sean had his glove on, so more likely a split lip. Still worthy of a suspension none less. :rolleyes:

It was a love tap... man love between two men... give it a rest all you bitchers.

This

Holy s***!!!!!

Those guys with the most protection are also the least replaceable. They get paid to stop frozen rubber, not get punched in the head. Wheter it was a love tap or not, teams don't want their goalie in that situation. Lose a starting goalie and your team is screwed, lose a forward and guys can fill in.

And i think man love is the wrong choice, they certainly didn't laugh it off together afterwords.

"Cross-checking is an infraction in the sport of ice hockey where a player bodychecks an opponent while holding his/her stick in both hands without any part of the stick touching the ice.

While body checking is allowed, the use of the stick increases the risk of injury to an opponent. The most common penalty is a two minute minor, served by the offender. However under certain circumstances the referee may assess a major penalty (plus automatic Game Misconduct) or a Match Penalty if the action is judged to be an attempt to injure the player."

hmmm..im not seeing the part where its ok to do it in front of the net. do we really think its ok for homer to get it done to him in front?

Yea I didnt mean it as a written rule. But complain about cross checking in front and the ref will laugh its part of the game that has become an acceptable tactic in fornt. Play any level of hockey ice or roller and shove someone in the back with the tic in fornt it will not get called. To be pissed about cross checking in fornt is silly, its part of the game.

What he said :thumbup:

See, even mom agrees.

If it's a major issue with the Caps then someone on their team should just 'McCarty' him and be done with it.(if they do it right they can score the winning goal too like Mac did)

If this has you guys in a tither I don't know if you should watch us play the Ducks, should we both make it to the next round. Order the Prozac now.

We really need to change the terminology. It was NOT a punch. The closest approximation is a brief facewash, as he puts the glove on the mask, and then pushes off. He doesn't haul back and hit him.

And if you're a goaltender that has made it to the NHL, chances are, a tap on the back of the head with a stick or a brief facewash is not going to cause a severe injury. They get paid to play the game, not just stop pucks. Sometimes getting hit or mixing it up is part of the game. Deal with it.

We really need to change the terminology. It was NOT a punch. The closest approximation is a brief facewash, as he puts the glove on the mask, and then pushes off. He doesn't haul back and hit him.

And if you're a goaltender that has made it to the NHL, chances are, a tap on the back of the head with a stick or a brief facewash is not going to cause a severe injury. They get paid to play the game, not just stop pucks. Sometimes getting hit or mixing it up is part of the game. Deal with it.

LOL what are you guys watching? He swung his arm around and landed on the goalies facemask, that would be a punch sir. Not to mention kept his hand on his stick the entire time, which means it was CLOSED FIST. Facewash is open hand on someone's face.

That's a great attempt to rationalize some homoerotic obsession with Crosby who's only guilty of being the marketing face of the NHL. Big whoop. Quite a contrast to a person who doesn't quite grasp the stupidity of his actions. Tort's face said all that needs to be said. It's enjoyable from a Jerry Springer or WWE-like storyline drama, but some of us actually like to keep the feuds on the ice and during play, rather than take stupidity to a whole new level the way Avery has.

And maybe you're new to hockey, but that wasn't even remotely close to a facewash. One's hand remains in their face for some short period of time. That was a punch right to the head. The fact that you minimize the Crosby obsession and poo poo off the Avery issues as comparable shows that you're not in the least bit rational.

Ass punching and jumping guys at the faceoff? Yes commendable stuff I tell ya. And I don't give a s*** what Torts thinks, he's a habitual swearer on tv that was hated by his Tampa locker room. So his opinion of player conduct means nothing to me. What Avery did is no different from what has happened at the end of most of the playoff games so far. But yes, I'm new to hockey and jacking off to Crosby's picture right now. :thumbdown:

I knew I'd find you here in the Avery dogpile wagging your shame finger, who's got the obsession now?

See ya in the next Crosby thread!

esteef

THIS IS MY KIND OF HOCKEY :yowza: . I wouldn't want playoff hockey any other way--the face washes, the scrums, bone crunching checks, the "sending a message". This is the kind of hockey I live for. muahahahahahah :sly:

What she said ^^ :thumbup: :thumbup:

WTF is up with all this talk of suspending everybody for everything? The league is gaining ground in pussifiing the game with all these moosefarts bashing the mind games that make the playoffs what they are. Man, a fan that can't deal with hockey the way it's played in the playoffs, maybe they should become a fan of T-ball. Don't keep score for the kids (might damage their little psyches to LOSE). Everybody play nice and don't misbehave, kiddies.

Seriously, folks. This is nothing. He got his penalty. He'll probably get lined up and creamed for it. Why are we beating this into the ground?

note: i bet this thread goes 20 pages.