• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hockeysattva

Would you want Crosby on the Wings?

Rate this topic

I wouldn't want Crosby on the Wings, sure I know he is a great player, but realistically I don't think he would work well in our system. But, imagine for a moment that the Wings got him instead of Hossa, would we be better off for it?

I wouldn't want Crosby on the Wings, sure I know he is a great player, but realistically I don't think he would work well in our system. But, imagine for a moment that the Wings got him instead of Hossa, would we be better off for it?

OK lol, I just joined the forum only because of this question, usually I just read the forum but this made me join. First and foremost I shall say NEVER in a million years would I want Sid The Kid on my team ( on top of that bettman would all of the sudden love the Red Wings, and would claim we are a model franchise)... He is the biggest baby ever and is supposed to be the savior of the NHL, I can not stand him nor his style of play (which is whine till I win). Sure he is good but he is only as good as the people around him. Sure he has a lot of points, but that's all from assist (Even though his points are similar to Datsyuk's, datsyuk is just another level, which crosby can not compare to him). I wish goals were more important then assists.I wish the NHL adopted a point system that I made up. 2 points per goal and 1 point per goal. Then I feel like the best players would really be shown off for the most important thing which is goals! haha it may be crazy but I would like it more. I may be biased because im slovak, but HOSSA ALL DAY :)

Edited by kolo

Definitely not. The Wings simply can't afford to add an $8.7 million forward to the team. The cap hits are top heavy as it is! An All-Star forward corps won't make up for bad defense... and once Lids retires that's the biggest worry.

Sure adding a player like Cindy would help the Wings hit that 350 goal plateau, but the bigger concern is balance- the Wings know they can score goals.

Guest Shoreline

Well, given the Wings circumstances, hell no. If the Wings lost a star forward like Z or Dats, then absolutely, yes. If there were a spot for Crosby there's no reason not to take him.

Absolutely. In a perfect world, we would acquire him on an off day, then trade him for Ovi later that evening so that he would never play a single game in a Red Wings sweater. And then Angelina Jolie would come over and clean my room

Absolutely. In a perfect world, we would acquire him on an off day, then trade him for Ovi later that evening so that he would never play a single game in a Red Wings sweater. And then Angelina Jolie would come over and clean my room

:stop:

Dude- if your fantasy involved Angelina Jolie cleaning for you you're doing it all wrong. :nono:

Although my room would be involved, so you're on the ball there.

Edit: Seriously, though.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

:stop:

Dude- if your fantasy involved Angelina Jolie cleaning for you you're doing it all wrong. :nono:

Although my room would be involved, so you're on the ball there.

Edit: Seriously, though.

hahaha exactly what i was thinking

If your system is such that you can't fit a 21-year-old guaranteed 100-point player, your system is retarded. In an ideal world where I could just glom Sidney onto the roster without consequences (i.e. no salary cap), then it'd be the stupidest thing ever to say I wouldn't want him around. I mean seriously. Dumb. And blinded by irrational hatred.

In the real world, no way I'd want to do the kind of roster shuffling necessary to fit him on. You basically have to blow up the whole thing, which only makes sense if you already suck, sorta like the Kings in 1988.

Taking the actual question - Wings signing him instead of Hossa - YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES, if it's for the same salary. Anyone who would say otherwise is irrational. If it's not the same salary, then it depends on what the salary is and how much roster shuffling takes place.

Taking the actual question - Wings signing him instead of Hossa - YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES, if it's for the same salary. Anyone who would say otherwise is irrational. If it's not the same salary, then it depends on what the salary is and how much roster shuffling takes place.

Their's still the issue with having three first-line centres. But if we're talking Crosby for $6 million a year... I think the Wings can work around that.

However, the smartest plan would be to flip Crosby for Ovechkin since a 65 goal scoring left winger is something this team needs more than an elite centre (already have two of those).

No. I have four reasons.

1. He would not be as good with the Wings as he is with the Pens. Yes he puts up more points than Datsyuk, Hossa, or Zetterberg, but he gets more ice time than they do. If Crosby played for the Wings, his ice time would be cut short and he wouldn't put up as many points.

2. Also, unlike Dats and Z, Crosby does not have a special way of making everyone around him better. This season everyone was talking about how he was having trouble "meshing" with his wingers. How do we know he could "mesh" with ours?

3. I don't like the idea of his immaturity representing the winged wheel. Last time I said this everyone got all over me because "we all hated Chelios before he came here." Chelios is not immature or dirty anymore though. And no one on our team is dirty. I would like to keep it that way. It's better that our team is respected. I don't want someone who starts attacking people right after the faceoff, and who punches someone in the balls while his teammate holding him down.

4. Salary Cap

Edited by Lovin Jiri Fischer

No. I have four reasons.

1. He would not be as good with the Wings as he is with the Pens. Yes he puts up more points than Datsyuk, Hossa, or Zetterberg, but he gets more ice time than they do. If Crosby played for the Wings, his ice time would be cut short and he wouldn't put up as many points.

2. Also, unlike Dats and Z, Crosby does not have a special way of making everyone around him better. This season everyone was talking about how he was having trouble "meshing" with his wingers. How do we know he could "mesh" with ours.

3. I don't like the idea of his immaturity representing the winged wheel. Last time I said this everyone got all over me because "we all hated Chelios before he came here." Chelios is not immature or dirty anymore though. And no one on our team is dirty. I would like to keep it that way. It's better that our team is respected. I don't want someone who starts attacking people right after the faceoff, and who punches someone in the balls while his teammate holding him down.

4. Salary Cap

Let the flaming begin.

Hmmm, Salary not an issue?

Hossa-Crosby-Dats

Ovie-Malkin-Z

Hudler-Flip-Franzen

Thorton-Wheeler-Semin

Lids-Chara

Raff-Kronner

Stuart-Bowumester

Luongo

Hiller

I dont think that the habs would have that many more cups then us for too much longer...

Edited by Shaman464

The only way I'd see Crosby really working in our system is if he began his career in '06 with us instead of Pittsburgh. Imagine him learning from Yzerman and Babcock instead of Lemeiux/Olczyk/Therrien. He'd still be a great player, but more well-rounded and devoted I think. Plus he never would have had to defend his whining coach in the '08 post-season.

I agree he fits in a system with less "talent" around him. He obviously has the skill and would contribute, but we don't need to pay that kind if money for what we would get. Which in our system wouldn't be enough to justify what we pay for him. PRE cap yes he would be an attraction, put butts in seats, and sell merch. so it would be worth it.

Pre-Cap: yeah sure

Now: nope, unless he agreed to play for a lot less, why would he? He's the big fish in that little pond.

To start off with, yes Crosby dives like an olympic springboard champion and whines like a 3 year old ADHD kid drinking red cordial....

But anyone who says you wouldn't take him for reasons other than the salary cap are NUTS! Let's face it, he's a star. Like it or not, the kid can play.... and I stress the word kid. I'm pretty sure he still wears nappies...which means he has huge mileage yet to come.

Having said that, he's only the 4th best player out there. 1) Pasha 2) Ovie 3) Malkin. Actually come to think of it, that's your first line for Team Russia come next Olympics.....YIKES!

No. I have four reasons.

You don't try to get a great player because they put up points for points sake. He wouldn't suddenly be a worse player if he "only" got 85 points as opposed to 100. You get great players because they're more likely to score when they're on the ice.

Second, Crosby got one point per 16:24 of ice time this year. Datsyuk got one point per 16:44. Hossa got one point per 18:33. Zetterberg got one point per 20:58. There are lots of other factors but Crosby was clearly the most efficient scorer among all of them.

2. Also, unlike Dats and Z, Crosby does not have a special way of making everyone around him better. This season everyone was talking about how he was having trouble "meshing" with his wingers. How do we know he could "mesh" with ours.

How the hell do you accuse someone with 70 assists of not making their teammates better?

Kirk Maltby is one of the most hated players in the league for the way he plays, which is to purposely piss people off and not fight them. He's been doing it for years. We love him for it because he's a Wing. Darren McCarty used to sometimes jump people at the faceoff and it was awesome. Kronwall leaves his feet. We don't have a dirty team by anyone's standards but we're not exactly angels either.

People are just butthurt that Crosby gets the marketing attention and focus on all his shortcomings in order to have excuses not to want him. Bulls***. People are telling me a guy that averages almost a point and a half a game over his career (and is only 21) is someone we wouldn't want? Take the cap out of the equation and I'd bring him onboard in a damn heartbeat.