• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2009 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Oh yeah NOT impressed with Terrell Pryor. He's still got a long ways to go, but so far he seems like a follower instead of a leader. Again, he still has a long ways to go, but when I see Forcier/Barkley performing in the clutch it makes me wonder...

Hard to judge based on ND's defense versus the OSU/USC defense, but if they're at all close than obviously Forcier is by far the most impressive of the three. Pryor has a lot of hype and seemingly a ton of potential, and if he can put it all together (he is just a sophomore after all, not everyone is a super hero right out of the gate like our little man Tate :P), then his career seems to project above them all, but we'll see.

It's all a lot of premature talk on my part until at least the end of the season when UM and OSU clash, though. It's in the Big House this season so that could be huge. If Forcier can have another monster game against them then I'll be pretty darn convinced of his status as a deity. :D

UM fans are understandably pumped. Two better than expected games with probably better than expected outcomes (picked UM to win both, though not as impressively as they did). Forcier has done fantastic. I'd be pumped too. Enjoy it. It's good to have the chest thumping scUM fans back. ;)

Yep, we lost another one. Our new thing is losing games in the last minute. However, we didn't lose that game in the last minute, we lost it in the first half. We should have been up two touchdowns at halftime, and then the execution died (redundant?) in the second half. We found a way to lose. USC didn't impress me. They gave us every chance to win, and we didn't take it.

The only positive I get out of this is, is that we're very young and the future looks bright. Just like I said two years ago.

Glad to see my trojans to come out on top against a good Ohio State team. Not SC's best showing, but they won, and they won in the last minute. Their nerves held and completed the stop of Ohio's final drive.

The look of stunned faces, that was so opposite just minutes before, was absolutely priceless!

Glad to see my trojans to come out on top against a good Ohio State team. Not SC's best showing, but they won, and they won in the last minute. Their nerves held and completed the stop of Ohio's final drive.

The look of stunned faces, that was so opposite just minutes before, was absolutely priceless!

f*** you :ranting: ! :D I was one of those faces. Except I wasn't stunned. I saw it coming.

Matt Barkley is a punk. I forgive Tim Tebow for his douchebaggery since I've witnessed Barkley.

f*** you :ranting: ! :D I was one of those faces. Except I wasn't stunned. I saw it coming.

Matt Barkley is a punk. I forgive Tim Tebow for his douchebaggery since I've witnessed Barkley.

Yeah Barkley isn't coming across as someone to like very much, but maybe it's because he's a frosh. And is it just me or does he seem like Pete Carrol's son? Watch Barkely get interviewed...it's like watching Carrol.

Ought to point out that anyone who likes to follow GVSU football would be happy this week. Grand Valley got a 38-7 win over archrival "Saggy Valley" as my brother calls them. SVSU was #13 in the country....it's going to take a hell of an effort to knock Grand Valley from their perch at #1.

Well that punk is a true freshman, who came up with a 86 yard game winning touchdown drive. First big game, 106,000 screaming people, and a good Ohio State team against him.

Fortunately you only play two more top 25 ranked teams this schedule. Penn State and Michigan. You should feel better next week when you play Toledo! We got the Huskies in Seattle.

^^^

At least the OSU and USC programs have the balls to play each other in the non-conference schedule. Really I'm getting sick and tired of the boring, soft, non conference schedules many teams now seek (the SEC being the worst offenders).

Sure Central beat MSU and last year Toledo upset UM, and people like to see the underdog win sometimes, but it's rare and the big school matchups are fun and there should be more of them, imo.

I don't see Florida in any big hurry to schedule a game vs. USC or OSU in the opening weeks....

^^^

At least the OSU and USC programs have the balls to play each other in the non-conference schedule. Really I'm getting sick and tired of the boring, soft, non conference schedules many teams now seek (the SEC being the worst offenders).

Sure Central beat MSU and last year Toledo upset UM, and people like to see the underdog win sometimes, but it's rare and the big school matchups are fun and there should be more of them, imo.

I don't see Florida in any big hurry to schedule a game vs. USC or OSU in the opening weeks....

You are correct (and I agree), but that is apart of the game due to the BCS. Why would Florida play a power when they can play 4 no name schools, and have a better shot at a national championship? I would LOVE to see Michigan play Texas, USC, etc, but at the same time it's fine. If it takes us playing Delaware State to get to a BCS bowl so be it. Until someone changes this it's just apart of the times.....

You are correct (and I agree), but that is apart of the game due to the BCS. Why would Florida play a power when they can play 4 no name schools, and have a better shot at a national championship? I would LOVE to see Michigan play Texas, USC, etc, but at the same time it's fine. If it takes us playing Delaware State to get to a BCS bowl so be it. Until someone changes this it's just apart of the times.....

Florida wasn't exactly running out to play USC or anyone pre-BCS either. It's not the BCS, it's just the way things have been.

^^^

I agree with your sentiment, but why should Florida schedule tough non-conference games? There is no advantage to doing it unless you win and most major programs want a home-and-home in the deal. Although I do think the SEC does get overhyped in terms of toughness, it is still a brutal conference to compete in. If a team can go 8-0 or 7-1 in the SEC, I think they have proven enough to warrant not scheduling a quality non-conference game.

Feels good to be 3-0, but I got a lot of concerns. I don't think there are hardly any locked wins on the remaining schedule. I think Greg Robinson is an outstanding DC, but it's clear he doesn't have everything he wants on his side of the ball. The D-Line really scares me because we can't stop the run period. MSU, Iowa, PSU, Wisc, and OSU could murder us with this. I don't know what's more concerning...Brandon Graham having 0 sacks, or the other 3 guys not taking advantage of Graham being double/tripled team most the game. With 2 true freshmen QB's you can't expect to win shootouts every weekend.

I also love the giant strides the offense has made in just a year, but I wonder how much of it comes from the opposing defenses. EMU's D is flat out horrible, and WMU's is maybe average. I thought ND had a very legit D, but after watching MSU drop 30 on them I guess I'm wrong. It will be interesting to see what they do against a good defense.

As for other games this weekend: 1) Ryan Mallett, wow what a stud. Top 10 pick someday. If he ever grows up watch out. 2). I felt really bad for Couisins. He failed miserably the last 2 plays, but he was the reason they were in the game if you ask me. 3). Nice to see the former student beat the teacher yesterday in Washington!

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Feels good to be 3-0, but I got a lot of concerns. I don't think there are hardly any locked wins on the remaining schedule. I think Greg Robinson is an outstanding DC, but it's clear he doesn't have everything he wants on his side of the ball. The D-Line really scares me because we can't stop the run period. MSU, Iowa, PSU, Wisc, and OSU could murder us with this. I don't know what's more concerning...Brandon Graham having 0 sacks, or the other 3 guys not taking advantage of Graham being double/tripled team most the game. With 2 true freshmen QB's you can't expect to win shootouts every weekend.

I also love the giant strides the offense has made in just a year, but I wonder how much of it comes from the opposing defenses. EMU's D is flat out horrible, and WMU's is maybe average. I thought ND had a very legit D, but after watching MSU drop 30 on them I guess I'm wrong. It will be interesting to see what they do against a good defense.

I agree with the whole post. I am hoping that the D-Line improves as the season goes on which I think will happen because outside of Graham the line is so young. I know is was against Eastern, but when Campbell got in the game he looked really good which is a great sign because he is our best hope of stopping the run in the big ten. Hopefully Michigan will handle Indiana, who looked suprisingly good last week, and split the games at MSU and Iowa, those are both going to be tough games though.

As for other games this weekend: 1) Ryan Mallett, wow what a stud. Top 10 pick someday. If he ever grows up watch out. 2). I felt really bad for Couisins. He failed miserably the last 2 plays, but he was the reason they were in the game if you ask me. 3). Nice to see the former student beat the teacher yesterday in Washington!

There's two games left where if we lose, then the sky will legitimately be falling: Indiana and Delaware State. But I really feel like a 10-2 season is in no way out of reach - then again, 6-6 isn't too crazy either the way the defense has been going. They really adjusted well at halftime against EMU though, you gotta give 'em that. I mean, we'd be a lot less concerned if the halves were flip-flopped and the halftime score was 21-0 instead of 24-17, but I'm not sure that's necessarily better.

Also, woooooo U-Dub. Washington's definitely my favorite Pac-10 team, has been for a while. Beautiful campus and the best uniforms in college football west of Ann Arbor. Nice to see them relevant again.

There's two games left where if we lose, then the sky will legitimately be falling: Indiana and Delaware State. But I really feel like a 10-2 season is in no way out of reach - then again, 6-6 isn't too crazy either the way the defense has been going. They really adjusted well at halftime against EMU though, you gotta give 'em that. I mean, we'd be a lot less concerned if the halves were flip-flopped and the halftime score was 21-0 instead of 24-17, but I'm not sure that's necessarily better.

Also, woooooo U-Dub. Washington's definitely my favorite Pac-10 team, has been for a while. Beautiful campus and the best uniforms in college football west of Ann Arbor. Nice to see them relevant again.

The last 2 weekends Robinson has come out with great adjustments after half. Haven't seen adjustments like those since Jim Herrmann was in his prime as a DC. That's great to see. Hopefully we can just get some good pieces for him on the recruiting trail.

As for U-Dub I think Sark is going to do big things there. Someone needs to challenge SC.

while it is disappointing to see another spartans close game loss, i am still confident in this team and their goal to go to the Rose Bowl. They still control their own destiny and IMO, ND will be one of the best teams they play this year.

The play of the game in the ND game really is the blocked extra point which held MSU to 30 instead of 31 points. Had MSU only needed a field goal to win, cousins wouldnt even be passing towards the end zone. They would have ran student body right or left til they got in field goal range for swenson. Its the little things that make the difference and MSU definately knows it after the last two weeks.

As far as Michigan goes, while they are 3-0 (should be 4-0 after this weekend)...curious to see how they do on the road at MSU, at Iowa. Michigan lucks out and only has to travel to 4 schools this year. It should almost be illegal for a school to do that when they play 12 total games.

while it is disappointing to see another spartans close game loss, i am still confident in this team and their goal to go to the Rose Bowl. They still control their own destiny and IMO, ND will be one of the best teams they play this year.

The play of the game in the ND game really is the blocked extra point which held MSU to 30 instead of 31 points. Had MSU only needed a field goal to win, cousins wouldnt even be passing towards the end zone. They would have ran student body right or left til they got in field goal range for swenson. Its the little things that make the difference and MSU definately knows it after the last two weeks.

As far as Michigan goes, while they are 3-0 (should be 4-0 after this weekend)...curious to see how they do on the road at MSU, at Iowa. Michigan lucks out and only has to travel to 4 schools this year. It should almost be illegal for a school to do that when they play 12 total games.

Hey, it ain't luck - it's all about how you schedule. Next year it'll be five, as we alternate with Notre Dame.

I was impressed with Michigan State. I was pretty certain Notre Dame was going to hang some points on their defense, but I didn't think Michigan State would be able to keep up in the way they did. I am so thankful ND is done with Big 10 officiating -- I honestly have never watched such two poorly officiated games two weeks in a row. I think the Big 10 refs go to the same training classes as NHL refs. How can anyone possibly think that wasn't a touchdown for Michael Floyd? Even ND hater Pat Haden couldn't justify the call. Oh well, I am just happy with a win and to break the streak at home. Jimmy Clausen is for frickin real. He has to be in the Heisman discussion so far with those stats in three games.

Watching U$C lose is such a terrific thing.

Maybe ND will beat them one of these decades. :(

How Dantonio still look the media and say he still doesn't know who the starting QB should be is an embarassment. Kirk Cousins has outplayed Nichol by far and Cousins is probably in the top 10 quarterbacks in completion %.

yeah the kid had a bad pass at the end of the ND game...but thats all he has done wrong. Everything else has been right on the money. Time to give him his due and let him have the job.

Hey, it ain't luck - it's all about how you schedule. Next year it'll be five, as we alternate with Notre Dame.

just dont be crying after you lose to OSU at the last game of the year and want a rematch against the Buckeyes in the title game like a few years ago.

Michigan was overrated that year no matter what anyone else says IMO.

just dont be crying after you lose to OSU at the last game of the year and want a rematch against the Buckeyes in the title game like a few years ago.

Michigan was overrated that year no matter what anyone else says IMO.

What does that have to do with 2009 schedules?

Bitter?

What does that have to do with 2009 schedules?

Bitter?

not at all. MSU is still tied for first in the big ten and controls their own fate to Pasadena, the goal for all big ten teams.

I just miss the days when Michigan would schedule Colorado, Oregon, Virginia...teams like that. Not Michigan vs Umass or Bowling Green like next year.

not at all. MSU is still tied for first in the big ten and controls their own fate to Pasadena, the goal for all big ten teams.

I just miss the days when Michigan would schedule Colorado, Oregon, Virginia...teams like that. Not Michigan vs Umass or Bowling Green like next year.

I agree, but thats apart of the business. Big schools want home and homes, and U-M can't do that if they want to pay off the renovation on time. I wish they would have not agreed to that 1,000 year extension with ND, and taken that 2 year break then they would have options. Uconn could be an interesting game though I guess....