• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2009 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Much needed victory for MSU. They were a team possessed early on and nearly gave the game away like they have previous weeks. Now they need to build on this win and make a run.

GO GREEN!! GO WHITE!!

Yeah, this will be a good chance for Dantonio to distinguish himself from Smith and Williams. They can still salvage the season if they build off this win. GO GREEN! GO WHITE!

Alright heres my thoughts to the game...

-Entered East Lansing at 6 A.M. First Bud Light is cracked at 6:10.

-I'm walking down Grand River Ave or whatever it's called, and somehow stumble across 2 tickets for 50 bucks each. I'm jacked. It would have also been my first away game.

-10:45 comes around all my beer and jager are gone.

-Go to get more, and get lost. Come across some Spartys giving away free beer so naturally I stop for a session.

-Never made it to the game.

-Then went to some bar called The Post to watch the game.

-3 Mixed drinks later my girlfriend and I are kicked out for "too much stumbling". I swear it was all her fault.

-Miss the whole 2nd quarter walking around trying to find another place.

-Finally find a place to crash and watch the game....don't remember any of it until Michigan's game tying drive.

-Now it's 9 PM and I have the worst headache ever. I got it on Tivo so I'll watch it tomorrow.

Alright heres my thoughts to the game...

-Entered East Lansing at 6 A.M. First Bud Light is cracked at 6:10.

-I'm walking down Grand River Ave or whatever it's called, and somehow stumble across 2 tickets for 50 bucks each. I'm jacked. It would have also been my first away game.

-10:45 comes around all my beer and jager are gone.

-Go to get more, and get lost. Come across some Spartys giving away free beer so naturally I stop for a session.

-Never made it to the game.

-Then went to some bar called The Post to watch the game.

-3 Mixed drinks later my girlfriend and I are kicked out for "too much stumbling". I swear it was all her fault.

-Miss the whole 2nd quarter walking around trying to find another place.

-Finally find a place to crash and watch the game....don't remember any of it until Michigan's game tying drive.

-Now it's 9 PM and I have the worst headache ever. I got it on Tivo so I'll watch it tomorrow.

Are you sure you didn't go to State?? ;)

Sounds like many of my friends who went to school there - buy season tix - never make it to most of the games. lol Two of my best friends that got divorced - a UM/MSU couple - one of the points of contention was "I continually pay for MSU season football tix but then you just go to party and never make it into the stadium to actually watch the games" lol

Anyhow in the end Spartans deserved to win yesterday. I had a hunch this would be the one game they decided to show up for - go figure. I'm satisfied with 4-1 (OT) and what RichRod is trying to do. This is his first recruiting class and I'm liking most of what I see (I've been open-minded about what I will see from his program unlike some, even though I was a Carr supporter to begin with).

Forcier rocks. Have to say I was skeptical about the "mobile q-back" at UM but I'm being sold.

Do you think Charlie Weis will "not talk about the officiating" this week and keep bringing up the fact that the ND player's knee was down a yard short of the goalline on the 2 point conversion and that there was no angle that should have definitively overturned the Washington TD?

Still, that goalline stand ND had was ridiculously impressive.

I agree on the Jimmy Clausen talk. I'm surprised he isn't brought up more because there are no clear cut guys out there for the Heisman this season. Heck, not even a solid list.

Okay...real thoughts on the game after watching it today.

-MSU deserved to win. No crying here. We got outplayed for over 3 quarters, and somehow climbed back in it.

-Too many dropped passes.

-Tate's clutch plays are no fluke. He has it, but will he survive the whole year?

-Still mixed feelings on the D. I think were jamming a few square pegs in round holes because of lack of depth/personal

-I know what I said about Nichol, but as of now why is MSU still toying with 2 QB's? Seriously....

-Kovacs. Great story! Was a student and tried out last year, barely makes it then makes 15+ tackles against MSU. Yes, it shows how horrible the depth is, but it's still really cool to see.

-I really believe if our D played first in OT the outcome would have been different, but we didn't get it, and the rest is history.

-Were 4-1. I would have taken that in a heart beat if offered to me before the season started. Iowa will be interesting to say the least....

Do you think Charlie Weis will "not talk about the officiating" this week and keep bringing up the fact that the ND player's knee was down a yard short of the goalline on the 2 point conversion and that there was no angle that should have definitively overturned the Washington TD?

Still, that goalline stand ND had was ridiculously impressive.

I agree that both were missed calls, but it is about damn time the officiating breaks went Notre Dame's way this season. Specifically, the UM game alone there were some downright awful calls. That third goal-line stand against UW was due to that infamous "roughing the snapper" penalty. I have never heard of that in all my life of watching college football.

anyone seen betterREDthandead lately? Disappeared since the UM-MSU game. Also TheDetroitRedWings needs to eat some crow calling himself a spartans fan but saying "realisticly there was no way that MSU was gonna win"

Edited by timothy1997

I agree that both were missed calls, but it is about damn time the officiating breaks went Notre Dame's way this season. Specifically, the UM game alone there were some downright awful calls. That third goal-line stand against UW was due to that infamous "roughing the snapper" penalty. I have never heard of that in all my life of watching college football.

Yup, like picking up the flag when Mathews was carrying the ND defender on his back, throwing a PI flag on Warren when the ball landed FIVE YARDS out of bounds, etc. The long TD was correctly called back and the ND student video confirms it. The call at the end was a bad call (though there is a still shot that shows that perhaps Michigan's player did have possession first), but nothing else against ND in that game was egregious by any means. Certainly not on the level of Jackson scoring a TD when he was a yard short, Henne's TD getting called back when he was clearly in, etc.

As for roughing the snapper, it is a rule. I don't know enough about the intricacies of it to know if that was a good call or not, but they call it in the pros. It doesn't happen that often because usually the ref tells a guy to move before they snap if they line up over the center, but it does get called.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/e60/news/story?id=4534334

For any Michigan fans who didn't get a chance to see it last night. Really everyone should watch it if they have 15 minutes. This is the tragic story of the Mealer family from Wauseon, Ohio. I grew up in this area and in fact have driven through that very intersection hundreds of times. In high school I went to parties with Brock and often saw him around campus at Ohio State. Elliot is a redshirt freshman for UM. Touching story. Video included.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/e60/news/story?id=4534334

For any Michigan fans who didn't get a chance to see it last night. Really everyone should watch it if they have 15 minutes. This is the tragic story of the Mealer family from Wauseon, Ohio. I grew up in this area and in fact have driven through that very intersection hundreds of times. In high school I went to parties with Brock and often saw him around campus at Ohio State. Elliot is a redshirt freshman for UM. Touching story. Video included.

Thanks for the link. I knew I was missing it during the Tigers. That's a tragic story. I don't care what team you love or hate...there is no one on earth that deserves that.

Michigan vs Iowa this weekened. I think one of these teams is a contender while the other is a pretender. Sorry but I think it will be a while before Michigan gets a conferene win.

MSU vs Illinois. Illinois is by far the biggest disappointment of the big ten this year. Hopefully MSU can take advantage of their woes and make their record back to even. These are the scary games for me, coming off a big win...the spartans have a history of letdowns. MSU has only one road game left after saturday so MSU still can make a run at the big ten title.

Michigan vs Iowa this weekened. I think one of these teams is a contender while the other is a pretender. Sorry but I think it will be a while before Michigan gets a conferene win.

MSU vs Illinois. Illinois is by far the biggest disappointment of the big ten this year. Hopefully MSU can take advantage of their woes and make their record back to even. These are the scary games for me, coming off a big win...the spartans have a history of letdowns. MSU has only one road game left after saturday so MSU still can make a run at the big ten title.

I kind of agree. I've been thinking reality is gonna set in for Michigan sooner or later, but with that said I think Iowa is beatable for sure. Illinois needs to can Zook. All he can do is recruit, and thats it.

anyone seen betterREDthandead lately? Disappeared since the UM-MSU game. Also TheDetroitRedWings needs to eat some crow calling himself a spartans fan but saying "realisticly there was no way that MSU was gonna win"

Hi. Congrats on your 30th win over Michigan in 102 tries. I suppose the disadvantage to calling the other team a fraud is, how much joy can you take in beating a fraud?

Michigan has a legit offense when healthy, undeniable if you've watched their games this year, but the hallmark of great teams is depth, and Michigan has, quite literally, zero. Absolutely none. When the starting center David Molk got hurt they had no one to take his spot, they had to shift guard David Moosman to center and shift everybody over a spot, the entire line is in disarray and the newbie they brought in was predictably terrible. Rodriguez wasn't exaggerating when he said Molk was Michigan's most important offensive player.

It was enough to roll up rushing yards on Indiana with Moosman at center but State's defense was way more stout and it only gets tougher this evening (obnoxiously playing against the Florida Concussions and Red Wings games). I'm not feeling good about the game, but I think our Captain Clutch -- Tate "Kid Moxie" Forcier -- will make things interesting. :thumbup:

Wow, not too happy with Rodriguez after that game. I think his stubbornness got the best of him at the end. Yeah, Forcier was not playing well, and making some dumb mistakes, but we needed 40-50 yards and with the clock scenario we needed to be passing. Passing is not Robinson's strength (not yet at least). Forcier has lead us from behind 3 times...he's a gamer. You don't sit the gamer on the bench in those situations.

I'm still happy with the effort though. This team lacks talent in a lot of areas, but don't quit ever even after 5 turnovers.

And I wouldn't trade a 100% healthy Brandon Minor for any other RB in the nation. That guy is a horse!

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

finally able to back online (modem problems).

I really think looking back when the season is done, the Michigan game is where MSU turned their season around. I really think MSU is on the inside track to make it to Pasadena. They only have 1 conference loss so far to wisconsin. They only have 2 road game left on their schedule.(minnesota and purdue). They have Iowa coming up at home in 2 weeks. They don't play OSU this season. If the spartans run the table, they will at least get a tie for the big ten title with an buckeyes loss. The next 3 weeks will be huge as they need to not overlook Northwestern, beat a good Iowa team and then win at minnesota. They do that and the rose bowl talk will begin.

Glenn Winston's injury last game hurt. The running backs keep getting better and better as the season rolls along and Winston was taking the biggest leaps. Now that he is out for the season, who will handle the load. Caper and Ray need to step it up more.

As far as Michigan goes, its gonna be rough the rest of the way. The nice thing is you got 3 more games you should win coming up. Delaware state, Illinois, and Purdue. 7 wins is enough and who knows..maybe Michigan will play the in Pizza Pizza Bowl at ford field this bowl season. I still have this gut feeling that Rich Rod will pull off an amazing coaching job and win a game that Michigan has no business winning like Ohio State.

I hope no one blames Denard Robinson. That was on Rich Rod. Yeah, Forcier wasn't very good, but he's been absolutely clutch all year. So you go with the kid who clearly isn't a passer? Robinson can turn a broken play into 50 yards in a hurry, but with the options available, certainly he wasn't the best choice to run the 2 minute offense at the end of the game.

I wasn't crazy about the decision, I was expecting Forcier to come out and was very surprised when he didn't. I still can't excuse Denard, though, he had a ton of time and only needed to get into field goal range, I have no idea what he was doing with that pass when he could have easily scrambled for the first down and stopped the clock.

And I wouldn't trade a 100% healthy Brandon Minor for any other RB in the nation. That guy is a horse!

Come on. Minor doesnt even lead the Wolverines in rushing. I would pick Jacquizz Rodgers, Mark Ingram...hell John Clay from Wisconsin over Minor.