• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2009 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Only one i disagree with is Moeller. His off-field antics got him the boot.

maybe its just me but i think Carr should be the new AD. He has so much respect through college sports.

Oh for sure. I agree with you on Moeller. That was well deserved.

I have mixed feelings on Carr being AD. I don't think Carr has the ability to handle things financially, but he would be a good representative for the school. In today's college sports you gotta keep pumping money into programs to make the surroundings elite, while still making money somehow. It's a tricky spot. People can say what they want about Martin, but no one can deny he was one of the few masters at handling the financial side of athletics.

Doomed by a missed extra point, the fates have conspired against them. Or, perhaps, it's the conference and probably nation worst defense getting rung up for 500 yards and 38 points. The game turned on that disastrous pitch play gone awry but the offense was still good. I take serious issue with the decision to go for it on 4th and 10 -- even if the lateral had been allowed and they had got it, it was still the wrong call; taking the FG and getting the stop so they could drive for the game-winning TD was the right idea.

This team is never going to really get going until they get a new defense, which isn't going to be this year obviously, and their last realistic shot at a bowl game is down to next week's game. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely downright pathetic. I can handle losing to USC, but I can't take these losses to inferior opponents. Jon Tenuta is a disgrace; Charlie Weis can recruit like no other and can't coach worth s***. 7-5 seems likely, 8-4 if they get real lucky and the alumni are going to riot. I want Brian Kelly now before some other program takes him from Cincinnati.

Beyond that, I have to say how proud I am of Jimmy Clausen. He is the toughest, gutsiest, and best quarterback Notre Dame has ever had. He is going to make one hell of an NFL quarterback and I don't blame him for one second if he declares for the draft a year early. JC did everything he could for this program and they could easily be 2-7 without him right now.

I need a new hobby on Saturday's in the fall. This is just too much frustration for me.

I need a new hobby on Saturday's in the fall. This is just too much frustration for me.

Ditto!!

I was suppose to go to the Big House yesterday, and after head to Yost to watch them play No. 1 Miami, but work was in the way (My brother took my place). Blessing in disguise...I would have lost it watching both those games in person.

Counting the days...

Please, please come to South Bend Mr. Kelly.

I know Kelly is the obvious target, but I would be surprised if they got him. Actually, I would be shocked. Kelly has some skeletons hidden in his closest or something.

Michigan State didn't give Kelly a sniff when he was sitting in their backyard. No feelers, no interviews nothing at all.

Michigan watches Les Miles and Greg Schiano slip through their hands, and they do the exact same actions as MSU.

Something doesn't add up.

If Kelly did goto ND I would be terrified. They would go on a USC/FLA type run of dominance. That would be hard to swallow since I grew up watching Kelly while he was at GVSU. I don't understand why ND fans want John Gruden. Haven't you learned your lesson from NFL guys? I would take a hard look at Paul Johnson...it would cause a lot of attrition, but thats expected anyways with coaching changes.

If Rich Rod is the head coach at UM next year, who is the defense coord? I dont think you will see a lot of good defense coaches lining up for the Michigan job. 2 years and Michigan would have gone thru 2 different coaches.

I personally dont see how Michigan's defense isnt gonna improve next year. Brandon Graham is the only guy worth a damn on the defense.

On the flipside, MSU's defense is bad but they might have the best defensive player in the big ten in greg jones. he needs tons of help tho if he comes back next year.

anyone got any bowl predictions? Here is mine.

Rose: Ohio State vs Oregon

Orange: Georgia Tech vs Pitt

Sugar: Alabama vs TCU

Fiesta: Oklahoma State vs Penn State

BCS championship game: Florida vs Texas

This gets kinda tricky towards the end. No more than 2 teams from each conference can get in so LSU gets screwed. No more than 1 team from the lower conferences can get in so Boise State is gonna get screwed.

If Rich Rod is the head coach at UM next year, who is the defense coord? I dont think you will see a lot of good defense coaches lining up for the Michigan job. 2 years and Michigan would have gone thru 2 different coaches.

I personally dont see how Michigan's defense isnt gonna improve next year. Brandon Graham is the only guy worth a damn on the defense.

On the flipside, MSU's defense is bad but they might have the best defensive player in the big ten in greg jones. he needs tons of help tho if he comes back next year.

The DC will be Greg Robinson. I think he is a good DC. He is making good plans, and the right adjustments but he has his hands tied behind his back with no depth, youth, and two horrible position coaches. No DC in the country could save this D, and thats a fact. RR needs to send two of his own packing, and let Robinson hire whoever he wants. If RR does this he will be investing his job in him, but it has to be done.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

I know Kelly is the obvious target, but I would be surprised if they got him. Actually, I would be shocked. Kelly has some skeletons hidden in his closest or something.

Michigan State didn't give Kelly a sniff when he was sitting in their backyard. No feelers, no interviews nothing at all.

Michigan watches Les Miles and Greg Schiano slip through their hands, and they do the exact same actions as MSU.

Something doesn't add up.

If Kelly did goto ND I would be terrified. They would go on a USC/FLA type run of dominance. That would be hard to swallow since I grew up watching Kelly while he was at GVSU. I don't understand why ND fans want John Gruden. Haven't you learned your lesson from NFL guys? I would take a hard look at Paul Johnson...it would cause a lot of attrition, but thats expected anyways with coaching changes.

Unfortunately, I think you hit it right on with Kelly. I always read about Kelly's sketchy past, but I can never find exactly what the issues were. All I know is that if Notre Dame can't find anything significant that would affect the program negatively, he has to be the next head coach. All the guy does is WIN everywhere he goes -- with far lesser talent than Weis has been blessed with at Notre Dame. The thing is ND has to get it right this time. Willingham wasn't the first choice (or second, or third...); Weis only got the job because the adminstration thought they had Meyer locked up. Brian Kelly can make this football team relevant again like you mentioned. It's just a matter of Kelly actually wanting the job and Notre Dame making sure they get him before settling on another coach like Weis.

Your point on Gruden is great. I don't understand the hype either. Gruden is about the last guy of "potential" replacements I want. We tried the NFL route and it stunk. Gruden has said himself before that he dislikes having to develop talent. I'm pretty sure that is the premise of being a head coach in college. Paul Johnson is interesting as well. I'm so impatient though right now and it would take another 2-3 years for Johnson to get his players and the option system in place.

For anyone who hasn't seen the uniforms we'll be wearing Saturday....

Meh. Nike payday.

My alma mater wore those Nike unifroms last weekend. Most of the models have been very plain but ours stood out A LOT IMO. I liked 'em.

ec5c4c3e-7a36-4637-9dec-694d0464f93e.jpg

And I am extremely excited. We are 11-0 right now, 1 win away from a BCS bowl and our last game is against a team that will be either 0-11 or 1-10.

I am sorry but who exactly has TCU played to give them the BCS berth for a mid-major conference. Boise State has at least defeated Oregon, who is going to the Rose Bowl. Boise State has 2 games left and i think they might pass TCU with a win against a good Nevada team.

IMO, the policy that says only 1 mid-major can go to the BCS games is BS. TCU/Boise State are BOTH more deserving than Iowa/Penn State.

oh and i am happy that UM/MSU seasons are over. Both teams were horrible this year and have lot of work for next year.

Edited by timothy1997

I am sorry but who exactly has TCU played to give them the BCS berth for a mid-major conference. Boise State has at least defeated Oregon, who is going to the Rose Bowl. Boise State has 2 games left and i think they might pass TCU with a win against a good Nevada team.

BYU, Clemson and Utah. And BYU and Clemson were on the road. Which is better competition than Boise has faced. TCU has a strength of schedule of 25 while Boise's is 85.

So, exciting football season eh? MSU was frustrating, but I wasn't one of the morons who thought MSU would go 11-1 or something similar. I had said 8-4. We probably should have beat CMU and Notre Dame, but those are the breaks. There's a lot to be excited about. Cousins is going to be a stud and go down as one of the best QB's in MSU history once his career is done. The RBs and WRs are good as well. Greg Jones will probably be back. Dantonio has been doing a lot of recruiting for both lines, but it takes time for those players to develop. I think 2011 could be a big season for MSU.

Even with the disappointing season, the key is making the bowl and getting the extra practices, especially when you have a young team like MSU. Of course, as Michigan proved this year, all that extra practice doesn't always translate into wins.

So how about it, Michigan fans? Are you enjoying the Callahaning of the winningest football program ever, or are you still "all in?"

BYU, Clemson and Utah. And BYU and Clemson were on the road. Which is better competition than Boise has faced. TCU has a strength of schedule of 25 while Boise's is 85.

And all 3 teams we've beaten are ranked in the top 25 right now (though 1 will drop out in all likelihood with Utah and BYU playing each other). Boise State has only played 1 ranked team, so has Texas.

If I had to pick from TCU or Boise, it'd be TCU. However, barring the very unexpected (and there have certainly been unexpected final day finishes before, but I've got no crystal ball) the title game is going to be Texas/SEC champ without a doubt. Obviously there's still room for a BCS buster in a different bowl, though. Fingers crossed for another 07 Fiesta Bowl. :P

I'm still all in. What is the worst that can happen now? After this year I've seen it all now. They need to fix the D fast, but I'm somewhat optimistic that can happen with the right coaching changes (assuming it happens). It will once again take patience though :ranting:

After settling down I'm just not getting why people didn't see this coming. Only 70 players on scholarship, majority of them sophomore eligibility or under. 3 walk-ons getting major minutes on the defensive side of the ball. 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years. 2 true freshmen QB's. Never had our best RB 100% healthy all year, and lost our best OL for the season.

This season sucked. Thankfully it's over.