• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2009 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

If I had to pick from TCU or Boise, it'd be TCU. However, barring the very unexpected (and there have certainly been unexpected final day finishes before, but I've got no crystal ball) the title game is going to be Texas/SEC champ without a doubt. Obviously there's still room for a BCS buster in a different bowl, though. Fingers crossed for another 07 Fiesta Bowl. :P

I went out last night and ate dinner for the end of Texas' game this weekend and chit chatted with a few UT fans for a while, told them I'd love for somehow that TCU and UT played for the National Championship. Selfishly I obviously want everybody ahead to lose for my school, but that's slim/none happening. Told them I got nothing against UT, like them a good bit, and they got no animosity towards my school right now. Though in any fanbase you're going to have your a'holes, so there are probably a few TCU and UT a'holes to the extreme out there.

And even though we're competing against Boise State for that non-BCS spot or whatever, I'd juist love for both of us to crack it, make the BCS more chaotic than ever.

As for national championship, I'd obviously love for it to happen but have never gotten my hopes up too high for it this year given how everything is played out. I'm not going to get on a soapbox about it saying why we deserve to play for it, why we're better than other teams, whatever. There's no point to it, the BCS is f'ed up and is what it is, my soapbox rants aren't going to change jack squat.

I'm just enjoying the ride and just extremely thrilled with this season to what will be a likely BCS berth (given that our final opponent is 1-10 and we play them at home).

You know the saddest thing about the UM/OSU game? Michigan outplayed OSU for the majority of the game, and just made a couple stupid mistakes. OSU's interception near the end zone was Matthews not watching for the ball. Forcier's 4th INT was locking on to one receiver and the defensive player seeing that. Of course there was the missed FG from peewee range.

Michigan gave that game away.

You know the saddest thing about the UM/OSU game? Michigan outplayed OSU for the majority of the game, and just made a couple stupid mistakes. OSU's interception near the end zone was Matthews not watching for the ball. Forcier's 4th INT was locking on to one receiver and the defensive player seeing that. Of course there was the missed FG from peewee range.

Michigan gave that game away.

And that's what we counted on. Tressel knew we could win that game by pounding the ball and taking advantage of a turnover prone team. The game played out just about as I expected. Michigan played pretty well, but as they have all year, the turnovers killed them.

I was treated well this time. No spitting haha. Talked with the two Michigan fans in front of me all game. They're on the Devin Gardner bangwagon.

I would be SHOCKED if Gardner started next season. If he was enrolling early thats potentially a different story. Forcier will get another 15 spring practices, and it will be his 2nd year in the offense. That's a big time edge over Gardner. I do believe though that if RR is going to win big here his QB will be Gardner. You don't come across the Vince Young/Terrell Pryor type of QB's often.

I'm still all in. What is the worst that can happen now? After this year I've seen it all now. They need to fix the D fast, but I'm somewhat optimistic that can happen with the right coaching changes (assuming it happens). It will once again take patience though :ranting:

What's the worst that can happen? They could not win any big ten games. I mean, DickRod has only won 3 in the two years he's been there.

So, rough weekend for everyone...

Alleged fight involving MSU football players

UM football player allegedly arrested in sexual assault

Jimmy Clausen punched outside of bar

What's the worst that can happen? They could not win any big ten games. I mean, DickRod has only won 3 in the two years he's been there.

Can't argue that even though I don't think it is likely to go winless in B10 play. I'm just going to sit on the fence. I'm not going to tell you RR has the track record so that equals guaranteed success, or say there is no hope and he should just be fired right now.

If you give him 5 years and he fails you have got the scholarship number back up to where it should be for the next coach. It also shows the next head coach the school will give you the required time, but you gotta win. What coach is going to want to come here if his job is in hot water after 2-3 years?

If you give him 5 years, and everything works out we will look back on the last 2 seasons, and never take winning for granted again.

I loved Lloyd Carr, but the final fews years I wanted a brand of football from this century therefore I can't complain about what is going on because I got my wish.

So, rough weekend for everyone...

Alleged fight involving MSU football players

2 Spartans kicked off team

Just a follow up on the fight. Really surprised that Winston is released. The kid was lucky to stay on the team this year and showed lots of promise. Had an unfortunate injury that IMO cost MSU the Big Ten title. I was looking forward to see him run again next year for MSU but guess thats not gonna happen now.

Running game is pathetic for MSU so that has to be a focus in the offseason. Kids are young so hopefully they just need to grow into their shoes. A Caper/Baker backfield is critical to success next year for MSU.

2 Spartans kicked off team

Just a follow up on the fight. Really surprised that Winston is released. The kid was lucky to stay on the team this year and showed lots of promise. Had an unfortunate injury that IMO cost MSU the Big Ten title. I was looking forward to see him run again next year for MSU but guess thats not gonna happen now.

You can't be serious. How do you figure? If anyone should be blamed for "costing a B10 title" it should be Narduzzi.

Gotta agree. The Spartans were more than a player away from the B10 title.

The team self destructed after the Iowa game. Biggest problem MSU had in that game was goalline rushing. They couldnt run the ball into the end zone no matter how many downs they had. Winston was running the ball more and more & would have been a much better option than Caper/Baker/Leggett. MSU struggled to find their running game all season and were just finding it, when Winston went down.

The team self destructed after the Iowa game. Biggest problem MSU had in that game was goalline rushing. They couldnt run the ball into the end zone no matter how many downs they had. Winston was running the ball more and more & would have been a much better option than Caper/Baker/Leggett. MSU struggled to find their running game all season and were just finding it, when Winston went down.

Look, I like Sparty, but this might as well be the team's motto.

Is Dantonio's seat getting hot?

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Look, I like Sparty, but this might as well be the team's motto.

no because he has been the most successful MSU coach since Saban and MSU's expections arent as high as Ohio State or Michigans

Not even close. The morons who thought this team would go 11-1 are getting antsy. So are the people who have somehow have forgotten the trainwreck that Bobby and JLS turned this program into. Dantonio has the full support of President Simon, AD Hollis and Tom Izzo.

Now, it was a disappointing season, no doubt about it. But Dantonio is trying to build a program, not just have a couple good seasons. Last year, the Spartans won the close games. This year they lost some close ones. Last year they could have easily been 6-6 and this year they could have easily been 9-3.

The biggest problem is the lines, both offense and defense. It wasn't a position that JLS recruited very well at. And while Dantonio has done some good recruiting in the trenches, it takes a while for linemen to develop.

Florida/Alabama is going to be a classic. I have a tough time picking against Tim Tebow in a big game, therefore I will go with 24-17 Gators.

I still think Brian Kelly is the guy for ND. If the Stoops rumors were true at all, he would have been named the head coach already. I am going to be beyond pissed if some of these names being thrown around like Harbaugh, Edsall, Skip Holtz end up as the coach. It's pretty much Kelly or complete miss for me at this point.

Edited by GoWings1905

Florida/Alabama is going to be a classic. I have a tough time picking against Tim Tebow in a big game, therefore I will go with 24-17 Gators.

I still think Brian Kelly is the guy for ND. If the Stoops rumors were true at all, he would have been named the head coach already. I am going to be beyond pissed if some of these names being thrown around like Harbaugh, Edsall, Skip Holtz end up as the coach. It's pretty much Kelly or complete miss for me at this point.

Sounds like Stoops was using ND as leverage for his current job. I read boosters want him to fire some of his assistants so that was his way of getting back at them. If Cincy loses to Pitt (they are at this point) it will be much easier for ND to hire Kelly.

Ugh, I want to be fully happy that my alma mater made the BCS, maybe I will be soon, but I just cannot fully be happy. Not because of Texas beating Nebraska in the Big 12 Final to possibly go to the N. Championship (that last call adding the second on stings obviously, but it was the right call). But because we have to play Boise State again.

We went that route last year playing them in a bowl game when they were undefeated and we won. Why do we have to do this again?

Also, this might not be the direct message, but it's a slap in the face IMO to both schools. Nobody wants to play either TCU or Boise State because while we might not beat "big named schools" 9 times out of 10, the odds are still good to consistently beat them and to defiintely win at least once. We're both being treated like red-headed step children, and of course they have to make us play each other.

What does it prove? Nothing.

I agree Jack, and the winner of that game will be devalued for "only" beating another mid-major instead of getting a shot at one of the big dogs. Was this done to protect the powerhouse schools from another embarrassing defeat like OU vs Boise or Alabama vs Utah? I wouldn't put it past the suits that run the BCS...

And I got nothing against Boise State whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. I want to make that clear.

They almost always play a crap of a schedule more often than not, but a lot of that is not under their control at least given their conference. They've just proven that they can consistently win and need to get out of the WAC, which outside of Fresno State and themselves, have nobody that is consistently that good. Good for Boise State for always taking care of business.

It's even a bigger no-win situation for my school b/c we beat them last year in a bowl game, and they have more to play for by wanting to beat us the next go-round.

I hope a good bit of Bronco fans feel the same way a lot of TCU fans feel right now. Happy to go obviously, but not thrilled with the matchup given last year/the BCS in general and wanting something more.

What a surprise that TCU and BSU end up playing each other. This prevents a Utah/Bama or BSU/Oklahoma type of upset. And the BCS supporters can cheapen the victory of whoever wins by saying, "well, they only beat the other mid-major." Bulls***. As he's suggested for the last few years, Wetzel has the best playoff plan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns

The history and tradition of the bowls doesn't matter much anymore. Some of the old bowls such as the Sun and Cotton have been relegated to second tier status thanks to the BCS. Other's, like the Peach have completely lost their name thanks to corporate sponsorship while the Rose and other big ones just had their names bastardized.

Every other level of NCAA football and every other college sport can effectively run a playoff system. March Madness is one of the best sporting events in the country. Why? Because you never know what can happen. Think of how much other sports would suck if they followed the BCS model. Why have the Stanley Cup? Just let the computers decide who the best team is and do a best of 7. Or maybe we could let computers decide the MLB playoffs. So we'd never get the thrilling World Series run the Tigers had. We need a playoff.

What a surprise that TCU and BSU end up playing each other. This prevents a Utah/Bama or BSU/Oklahoma type of upset. And the BCS supporters can cheapen the victory of whoever wins by saying, "well, they only beat the other mid-major." Bulls***. As he's suggested for the last few years, Wetzel has the best playoff plan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns

The history and tradition of the bowls doesn't matter much anymore. Some of the old bowls such as the Sun and Cotton have been relegated to second tier status thanks to the BCS. Other's, like the Peach have completely lost their name thanks to corporate sponsorship while the Rose and other big ones just had their names bastardized.

Every other level of NCAA football and every other college sport can effectively run a playoff system. March Madness is one of the best sporting events in the country. Why? Because you never know what can happen. Think of how much other sports would suck if they followed the BCS model. Why have the Stanley Cup? Just let the computers decide who the best team is and do a best of 7. Or maybe we could let computers decide the MLB playoffs. So we'd never get the thrilling World Series run the Tigers had. We need a playoff.

I agree with all this. And I am someone who has been totally against a playoff in the past. The TCU/BSU game is such a joke...talk about being safe and covering your rear end.

It's just a damned shamed because it's a GREAT matchup, but the two teams already playing last year and the BCS not wanting to hurt it's little babies by possibly losing to somebody outside of the cartel, JUST ONCE HEAVEN FORBID, take away so much zeal for the game.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan