• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2009 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

What a surprise that TCU and BSU end up playing each other. This prevents a Utah/Bama or BSU/Oklahoma type of upset. And the BCS supporters can cheapen the victory of whoever wins by saying, "well, they only beat the other mid-major." Bulls***. As he's suggested for the last few years, Wetzel has the best playoff plan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns

The history and tradition of the bowls doesn't matter much anymore. Some of the old bowls such as the Sun and Cotton have been relegated to second tier status thanks to the BCS. Other's, like the Peach have completely lost their name thanks to corporate sponsorship while the Rose and other big ones just had their names bastardized.

Every other level of NCAA football and every other college sport can effectively run a playoff system. March Madness is one of the best sporting events in the country. Why? Because you never know what can happen. Think of how much other sports would suck if they followed the BCS model. Why have the Stanley Cup? Just let the computers decide who the best team is and do a best of 7. Or maybe we could let computers decide the MLB playoffs. So we'd never get the thrilling World Series run the Tigers had. We need a playoff.

Great post and I couldn't agree more.

The BCS is such a damper on a great sport to watch.

Some of the old bowls such as the Sun and Cotton have been relegated to second tier status thanks to the BCS.

don't you mean the Brut Sun Bowl or the AT&T Cotton Bowl.

I agree with Wetzel's column on the system and its a shame it can't take place this year. I would love to see those matchups and find out who the true national champion is.

I think BCS knows their system is flawed and hence that is why they threw TCU and Boise State against each other. Heaven forbid if TCU gets a matchup against say Florida and wins. Then everyone who be screaming "see TCU deserved to be in the title game". Also this way the BCS can still say to TCU/Boise State.."well who did you really beat out of the major conferences to be #1". No major conference team has anything to gain by scheduling TCU/Boise State. Just ask Oregon if it was worth it. Ask Michigan if scheduling a top Divison I-AA if its worth it.

On the plus side, that is probably the only BCS game aside from the championship game that actually interests me.

Wetzel is a condescending jerk when it comes to this issue. And his playoff plan is impossible. NCAA bylaws require half the field to be at-large bids, and the NCAA considers that such an ironclad rule that they expanded the basketball field to 65 rather than bend the rule even slightly and remove one at-large bid.

Also I don't buy for a minute that TCU/Boise is a BCS conspiracy. That's just black helicopter stuff. How come when Boise beat Oklahoma it was a big mid-major validation lovefest, but when Hawaii got completely creamed by Georgia everyone brushed that aside?

Wetzel is a condescending jerk when it comes to this issue. And his playoff plan is impossible. NCAA bylaws require half the field to be at-large bids, and the NCAA considers that such an ironclad rule that they expanded the basketball field to 65 rather than bend the rule even slightly and remove one at-large bid.

Also I don't buy for a minute that TCU/Boise is a BCS conspiracy. That's just black helicopter stuff. How come when Boise beat Oklahoma it was a big mid-major validation lovefest, but when Hawaii got completely creamed by Georgia everyone brushed that aside?

People were in love with Boise State that one time because it was the first time it was really done against a big team in Oklahoma. Sure Utah did it before against Pittsburgh but that wasn't exactly a David vs. Goliath matchup. Hawaii just got outplayed, don't know how else to comment abotu that.

The BCS is not for the Mountain West or the WAC. Of course they are going to do what is in the best interests of their own members when it is completely under their control. How'd they do that this year? Let the two ugly-red headed step children that aren't part of the club play each other to prevent any possibly chance of an "upset" to one of their babies in the membership club. TCU or Boise State may not consistently beat some of these teams 9 times out of 10, maybe not even 5 times out of 10, but once, just once, they certainly could do it. If you want to call me paranoid or conspiracy man have at it, but it would not shock me if this was in the minds of some of the BCS club leaders.

Both TCU and Boise State deserved better in terms of matchups against "bigger named programs". And esepcially since they played each other last year. What does this game ultimately prove? Not a whole lot. Whoever wins, of course finishing with an undefeated season would be a helluva accomplishment, but there's still always going to be the question of can you beat the big boy schools? Whoever loses it's gonna be, "You lost to a mid-major, AH HA HA HA HA!"

All that being said, I am trying to get past all this and just think about enjoying heading out to the Fiesta Bowl and really looking forward to this matchup of two great teams and the possiblity of seeing my alma mater go undefeated.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

People were in love with Boise State that one time because it was the first time it was really done against a big team in Oklahoma. Sure Utah did it before against Pittsburgh but that wasn't exactly a David vs. Goliath matchup. Hawaii just got outplayed, don't know how else to comment abotu that.

The BCS is not for the Mountain West or the WAC. Of course they are going to do what is in the best interests of their own members when it is completely under their control. How'd they do that this year? Let the two ugly-red headed step children that aren't part of the club play each other to prevent any possibly chance of an "upset" to one of their babies in the membership club. TCU or Boise State may not consistently beat some of these teams 9 times out of 10, maybe not even 5 times out of 10, but once, just once, they certainly could do it. If you want to call me paranoid or conspiracy man have at it, but it would not shock me if this was in the minds of some of the BCS club leaders.

Both TCU and Boise State deserved better in terms of matchups against "bigger named programs". And esepcially since they played each other last year. What does this game ultimately prove? Not a whole lot. Whoever wins, of course finishing with an undefeated season would be a helluva accomplishment, but there's still always going to be the question of can you beat the big boy schools? Whoever loses it's gonna be, "You lost to a mid-major, AH HA HA HA HA!"

All that being said, I am trying to get past all this and just think about enjoying heading out to the Fiesta Bowl and really looking forward to this matchup of two great teams and the possiblity of seeing my alma mater go undefeated.

Dude. It's the Fiesta Bowl officials who pick the matchup. Do you really think they care about the reputations of Oklahoma or Florida? The BCS isn't some monolithic black-helicopter organization. The Fiesta Bowl does what's best for the Fiesta Bowl.

Besides, who do you think is in the BCS this year that you could get any major props out of beating? Florida, OK. Do you honestly think you'd get more recognition for beating Iowa than Boise?

Dude. It's the Fiesta Bowl officials who pick the matchup. Do you really think they care about the reputations of Oklahoma or Florida? The BCS isn't some monolithic black-helicopter organization. The Fiesta Bowl does what's best for the Fiesta Bowl.

Besides, who do you think is in the BCS this year that you could get any major props out of beating? Florida, OK. Do you honestly think you'd get more recognition for beating Iowa than Boise?

There's going to be no recognition for beating either of the last two.

The Fiesta could've easily done good for itself by getting more guaranteed ticket sales by choosing Iowa over at least one of us.

You don't think, whatsoever at all, that BCS suits did not shudder and got a big queasy when Utah beat Alabama, and would do the same if TCU or Boise State did the same thing this year if they played Florida or TCU had the chance to play and possibly beat Alabama? You don't think at all, that there is some special interest to protect the interest of it's members when it's well within their power to do so without bending rules? That's sounds a little bit naive to me.

The Fiesta Bowl/BCS can say all they want about wanting the best matchup to be politically correct, it certainly is a great matchup, but the thought of them copping out by not pitting neither school against Iowa or Florida or GT or even Cincinnati will always be there.

There's going to be no recognition for beating either of the last two.

The Fiesta could've easily done good for itself by getting more guaranteed ticket sales by choosing Iowa over at least one of us.

You don't think, whatsoever at all, that BCS suits did not shudder and got a big queasy when Utah beat Alabama, and would do the same if TCU or Boise State did the same thing this year if they played Florida or TCU had the chance to play and possibly beat Alabama? You don't think at all, that there is some special interest to protect the interest of it's members when it's well within their power to do so without bending rules? That's sounds a little bit naive to me.

The Fiesta Bowl/BCS can say all they want about wanting the best matchup to be politically correct, it certainly is a great matchup, but the thought of them copping out by not pitting neither school against Iowa or Florida or GT or even Cincinnati will always be there.

Who are these mysterious "BCS suits" you speak of? That's the problem here - you think there is some dastardly corporate boardroom. The BCS is a coalition of self-interested people, not an evil Skynet organization bent on keeping the little man down. These "suits" are largely a figment of your imagination.

In a way, your attitude is proof enough of what you fear. You think beating a two-loss Iowa team, simply because they have the "BCS" label, is more prestigious than beating an undefeated one. If you can't let go of the distinction, why should anyone else?

Who are these mysterious "BCS suits" you speak of? That's the problem here - you think there is some dastardly corporate boardroom. The BCS is a coalition of self-interested people, not an evil Skynet organization bent on keeping the little man down. These "suits" are largely a figment of your imagination.

In a way, your attitude is proof enough of what you fear. You think beating a two-loss Iowa team, simply because they have the "BCS" label, is more prestigious than beating an undefeated one. If you can't let go of the distinction, why should anyone else?

And self-interested people want to protect their own self-interests and their members as best they can.

I don't fear anything. We already beat this same undefeated team last year giving them their lone loss in a bowl game. Doing it again doesn't prove all that much. Beating Iowa or even Cincy doesn't prove that much more but it's at least something different and shows that we can play with other teams.

EDIT: More thoughts...

Of course getting into the BCS is great, greater payout/recognition for both schools, but it still doesn't dismiss that if TCU beats Boise State, the thought will be, "Whoooope, we beat them again." And it doesn't dismiss that BSU probably got jobbed of wanting to play somebody different.

And the BCS has made stupid moves with their own members as well. Texas last year not getting into the NC even though they beat Oklahoma and had similar records...OU playing for the NC in 2003 despite not winning their own conference...the same with Nebraska in 2000 or 2001 when they lost to Colorado, didn't even win their own division of the conference and still played for the NC...Auburn in 2004 going undefeated but not playing for the NC.

But the rules for their members to get into the big money games have always been less stringent than people outside the club.

Not sure if you think these thoughts have any releveance with the topic at hand, but they were in the top of my head and made sense to the disucssion to me.

While I'm still disappoint my alma mater is going to play Florida or Georgia Tech or whatever, after letting the disappointment sink in for a few days I'm slowly opening up to the story in the URL.

Whether the BCS or the Fiesta Bowl was just looking for the best matchups given the selection processes or were trying to keep both TCU and Boise State from beating the big boys is entirely subjective and I still believe the latter to a certain degree even if it's just perception, but given that...

(1) I think my alma mater still has some faint hopes left at some kind of split national championship (or recognition at least even if it might not be "official" or "technical" in nature) if they can get some help from other game results and

(2) that neither of these schools need any respect validations makes me really look forward to this.

Rip on Boise State all you want about their Smurf Turf, playing in the dinky WAC or whatever, but they took an Oregon team to school this year that is presently going to the Rose Bowl. Would they have beaten them later in the year after all their mental mess? Perhaps not. Would they beat them 9 times out of 10? Probably not. But under the current year and circumstances and schedule, they took care of business as need be. It's not their fault that the WAC is so inconsistent once you get past them and Fresno State. They deserve to be in. They don't need respect.

And TCU beat three teams in/around the top-25, 2 of them on the road. And having actual realistic possibilities of playing for the formal BCS Championship as a non-auto qualifier, that's respect enough.

I don't like the BCS because both teams from the big boys and outsiders alike have gotten hosed over the years, I think TCU and Boise State have to some degree as well, but I don't think the BCS is out to purposefully screw schools over. It's just an absolutely screwed up system for everybody.

EDIT: It would help if I put the link! :blush:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/999583.html

But under the current year and circumstances and schedule, they took care of business as need be. It's not their fault that the WAC is so inconsistent once you get past them and Fresno State. They deserve to be in.

I've never liked this argument and here's why. Following that logic to its natural conclusion, what a BCS team ought to do in order to be considered a better national champion contender is to jump ship to the Sun Belt, beat hell out of the crap teams in that conference, schedule four pansy cupcakes out-of-conference, beat the crap out of them too, and then whine that they "did all they could" and "took care of business."

In other words, Iowa this year is not a national title contender, but Iowa on a WAC schedule would be? Nope, not buying it.

I've never liked this argument and here's why. Following that logic to its natural conclusion, what a BCS team ought to do in order to be considered a better national champion contender is to jump ship to the Sun Belt, beat hell out of the crap teams in that conference, schedule four pansy cupcakes out-of-conference, beat the crap out of them too, and then whine that they "did all they could" and "took care of business."

In other words, Iowa this year is not a national title contender, but Iowa on a WAC schedule would be? Nope, not buying it.

Makes sense. Probably would be a big reason why non-AQs are usually at a disadvantage from minute one.

Polls, while I love seeing them get updated after every Saturday, also would play a down factor on this as well, as a NC or BCS team being undefeated or just losing once could have a crappy non-conference schedule, but have the "benefit of the doubt" because they might have been ranked in the top-10 before the season started.

I don't like to see Kelly going to Notre Dame - the man's been absurdly successful everywhere. But it's better than what would have happened had he stayed at Cincy - which is, he'd just wait around two or three more years and head to Columbus once Tressel finishes up.

I don't like to see Kelly going to Notre Dame - the man's been absurdly successful everywhere. But it's better than what would have happened had he stayed at Cincy - which is, he'd just wait around two or three more years and head to Columbus once Tressel finishes up.

I had those exact same thoughts earlier this season when Charlie's seat was smoking hot. Pick you poison I guess.....

I never liked Brian Kelly for what he did to Eastern Michigan. People forget that he backed out of the EMU job just hours before the press conference scheduled to announce him head coach. Brought back too many Nick Saban memories. Still a good coach tho.

I never liked Brian Kelly for what he did to Eastern Michigan. People forget that he backed out of the EMU job just hours before the press conference scheduled to announce him head coach. Brought back too many Nick Saban memories. Still a good coach tho.

I forgot all about that. When did that happen again? Did he back out and goto CMU, or how did that work?

I forgot all about that. When did that happen again? Did he back out and goto CMU, or how did that work?

Back in 2004, Brian Kelly was a sought after coach after leading Grand Valley State. Eastern and Central were both looking for head coaches at the time and Kelly met with EMU. They offered him the job and he accepted. Just hours before the press conference, he turned them down and took the CMU job. My guess is he took the offer from EMU to CMU and demanded they match or beat.

Its not quite as bad as Saban who says everyplace he is that its his "dream job". It sucks because that is how you build a program in a minor conference. You get a really good coach and when you lose that coach, bring up his assistants. That is how CMU turned things around quickly.

Back in 2004, Brian Kelly was a sought after coach after leading Grand Valley State. Eastern and Central were both looking for head coaches at the time and Kelly met with EMU. They offered him the job and he accepted. Just hours before the press conference, he turned them down and took the CMU job. My guess is he took the offer from EMU to CMU and demanded they match or beat.

Its not quite as bad as Saban who says everyplace he is that its his "dream job". It sucks because that is how you build a program in a minor conference. You get a really good coach and when you lose that coach, bring up his assistants. That is how CMU turned things around quickly.

Oh yeah I remember that now. Forgot about all about that. One correction though, Butch Jones wasn't on Brian Kelly's staff at CMU. They hired him from WVU.