• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bad Vlad Forever

Darren Helm//Merged

Rate this topic

Like I said- rookies are the most likely to change their number over time, either because someone more senior shows up and wants to keep their number they had on another team, or because the number they wore as a rookie wasn't their first choice and they waited it out until it became available.

Or you could just buy it from NHL.com, since they apparently don't give you sewed-on nameplates (and numbers?) and you could just peel off the numbers if they change. I'm trying to remember, what was Zetterberg's number when he first came into the league...

I love the kid. My parents were watching the game with me and they couldn't believe the way he just took off for his goal tonight, he just put on the afterburners and was GONE. I agree with most of what's been said above, though; I don't anticipate him having good enough hands to be a true Draper replica, but I expect he'll be a great energy player here. If he can turn himself into a legitimate shutdown centre he will be an incredibly valuable third-line asset.

What do you guys think of the Draper comparison?

I actually think that the only thing those two have in common is their skating ability.

Their both good a faceoffs also

Seriously? Then I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed in Helm next year.

Helm is speedy, really strong on the draw, a great shutdown player, and provides energetic checking. He's suited to grinding it out on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Draper, in his prime was speedy, really strong on the draw, a great shutdown player, provided energetic checking and chipped pretty well offensively (good for 15 goals a year on average during his prime).

Draper had decent hands, Helm really doesn't. Even Babs said he won't score much at this level. When he does score it's with his speed, which is fine. Just don't expect Helm to be a 15 goal a year guy- the odds are really stacked against that.

So how isn't Helm the new Draper? Draper was a better scorer while Helm has more energy.

I shouldn't have said "only." That was my bad.

I really didn't mean that in a disappointing way.

It's just little things which can be big things.

Not to be argumentative, but I think that the things you mentioned, energetic checking, faceoffs, shutdown, whatever, pretty much go along with every other dime a dozen third line player on a contending NHL team. When I draw comparisons, I like to do so in terms of a uniqueness perspective.

Although not in the class of Maltby or Lemieux, I think Draper has kind of a "pest" aspect to his game. Because he plays so much bigger than his size, he's just really annoying to play against. You had many forwards who were frustrated and said to themselves, "Did I really just get outworked by that guy???" That's one thing that made him quite special and I don't see that from Helm. I've seen fans of opposing teams get really annoyed by Draper while I've seen some who are rather impressed with Helm.

I don't consider Helm a great shutdown player... yet. But his defensive anticipation will get better with time.

The comparison is okay. Helm is a better playmaker while Draper is a better finisher. Draper got some time in the top-6 while it's still in question as to whether Helm will ever appear on a scoring line. But all in all, I just think that among the characteristics that make Draper unique, as well as Helm unique, the only one they have in common so far is the blazing fast skating ability.

And I don't mean to knock Helm in any sort of way. I just don't want to miss something that could be really special about Helm because I'm trying to see Draper. For me it's kind of like the Yzerman comparison for Zetterberg. They both had a commitment to two-way play but come on?

It's just a ticky tack detail within my crazy perspective.

Edited by titanium2

Does anyone know how to make .gifs? would love to have one of that second period goal for my avatar...might have to teach myself how to make them later tonight haha.

Helm is great....amazing speed, and some skill to go along with it. What an important goal tonight he got for the Wings.

However he seems to be getting a little too cute with the puck in the neutral zone and also when just inside the Ducks blue line. Sometimes he just needs to bury that puck deep in the zone. I saw a few times tonight where he turned it over and led to a Ducks rush. He will certainly learn this playing next season with the Wings.

Or you could just buy it from NHL.com, since they apparently don't give you sewed-on nameplates (and numbers?) and you could just peel off the numbers if they change. I'm trying to remember, what was Zetterberg's number when he first came into the league...

Don't pay for NHL.com to do it! You'll be disappointed in the quality, and pealing off the numbers/name is tougher than it sounds.

Buy a blank one and have a local shop do it. Better yet, get the jersey from an online retailer like icethetics or that Detroit based one I can't remember off hand and they'll do it well from the start! Plus you'll pay less if you buy it from anyone other than NHL.com.

Just don't ebay it- the fakes on there all have normal looking tags in the pictures (but are always missing the hologram if I remember correctly)

I shouldn't have said "only." That was my bad.

I really didn't mean that in a disappointing way.

It's just little things which can be big things.

Not to be argumentative, but I think that the things you mentioned, energetic checking, faceoffs, shutdown, whatever, pretty much go along with every other dime a dozen third line player on a contending NHL team. When I draw comparisons, I like to do so in terms of a uniqueness perspective.

Although not in the class of Maltby or Lemieux, I think Draper has kind of a "pest" aspect to his game. Because he plays so much bigger than his size, he's just really annoying to play against. You had many forwards who were frustrated and said to themselves, "Did I really just get outworked by that guy???" That's one thing that made him quite special and I don't see that from Helm. I've seen fans of opposing teams get really annoyed by Draper while I've seen some who are rather impressed with Helm.

I don't consider Helm a great shutdown player... yet. But his defensive anticipation will get better with time.

The comparison is okay. Helm is a better playmaker while Draper is a better finisher. Draper got some time in the top-6 while it's still in question as to whether Helm will ever appear on a scoring line. But all in all, I just think that among the characteristics that make Draper unique, as well as Helm unique, the only one they have in common so far is the blazing fast skating ability.

And I don't mean to knock Helm in any sort of way. I just don't want to miss something that could be really special about Helm because I'm trying to see Draper. For me it's kind of like the Yzerman comparison for Zetterberg. They both had a commitment to two-way play but come on?

It's just a ticky tack detail within my crazy perspective.

I think you'll be disappointed in his playmaking abilities too. Helm won't put up many points in the NHL, but he'll do everything else really well.

And Maltby was the pest... I'm not sure Draper's more than your average chirper. But you're right- Helm's not really a chirper out there, although that sometimes comes with age and experience.

All I could picture when he blew by them was the Roadrunner from the old cartoons. ;) Might just be showing my age there...

roadrun1.gif

I'm only 33 and I love the Roadrunner cartoons. I was gonna post something similar but thought it would be lame, I'm glad you did though!!!

Helm is making me excited about the future. Once I worried about what would happen when we lost Drapes and Malts, but now I know we have great things in store. Helm won me over last year, and has continued to impress.

He also looks darling in interviews. He's still a bit overwhelmed by it all.

I'm going to put in my 2 cents.

From 6 years ago:

"Helm's never going to play in the WHL. He doesn't have the skill and is too slow."

Next year he made the Tigers's roster.

From 4 years ago:

"Helm's never going to score any goals."

He scored 79 points.

From 3 yeasr ago:

"Helm's never going to make the WJ team."

He made the WJ team, the only one on the team with no Team Canada experience.

Once his hands catch up to his speed, he will score, but it will just take a bit longer for him than the next guy. He's a late bloomer. And increadible one though.

Drapes only scored more than 15 goals once, so it not like the bar for offensive comparison is set very high. His real value was always defense. Ask Stevie Y - it can be taught. Helm has a lot of upside.

Question, why is it such a bad thing to have a jersey of a player who's no longer on the team or who changed numbers? Would you stop wearing a Shanny jersey just cause he's on a different team? If you want a Helm jersey, what's wrong with #43? So what if he changes? Way I see it, it shows you were a Helm fan before he was a fixture on the team. Ahead of the curve. I'd wear a Holmstrom #15 jersey any day.

I'm going to put in my 2 cents.

From 6 years ago:

"Helm's never going to play in the WHL. He doesn't have the skill and is too slow."

Next year he made the Tigers's roster.

From 4 years ago:

"Helm's never going to score any goals."

He scored 79 points.

From 3 yeasr ago:

"Helm's never going to make the WJ team."

He made the WJ team, the only one on the team with no Team Canada experience.

Once his hands catch up to his speed, he will score, but it will just take a bit longer for him than the next guy. He's a late bloomer. And increadible one though.

Wow, great post thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Helm's speed is INSANE. He's going to be something else I tell ya! LOL

So I was listening to 97.1 awhile ago and a couple callers had great nicknames for Darren...

"Deadly Darren" and my favorite "Nightmare on HELM street" hahaha

How fortunate we are to have this speeding bullet on our team. All this talk about the speed of the young hawks team and their speed will do us in (over on their boards). HA! Obvious they failed to observe that break away that scored goal # 2 last night.

Drop Hossa, lets have Helm and Hudler.

Edited by RyanK