• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake Ryan

Power Play Goalie

Rate this topic

I always wondered why the Red Wings didn't have a goalie who could handle the puck better so they could shave seconds off the time they spend chasing cleared pucks on their power play. I was thinking Turco might be a good pickup after a bad season in Dallas, but that guy is WAY overpaid. The Wings are not going to spend 5 mil plus on their netminder. So is there anyone else out there that has a real good knack for handling the puck and isn't too much of a liability in the net?

I'm kinda scratching my head over a couple of things that are implied assumptions in your post...

A - That Osgood isn't going to be on the Wings next year.

B - That the Wings will have enough cap room to sign ANYONE outside the organization next year.

C - That if we got rid of Ozzie, we'd be able to find someone better for the 1.4 million cap space he takes up.

Sure, there are goalies out there that are much better at moving the puck than Ozzie. But at 1.4 million, you're not going to find a goalie that has the same credentials as Ozzie. Namely tons of playoff experience, 3 Stanley Cups to his resume, and a calming effect on his teammates.

Goaltending Priority

1: Stopping the puck

2: Puck Handling

3: Everything else

Having a guy who is a good puck handler and not too much of a liability in net is a horrible idea

Edited by Dano33

After a seven-year hiatus, Chris Osgood was the first goaltender to score a goal since Ron Hextall did so in the 1989 playoffs.

yeah he cant handle the puck well......

I would just like to see someone who could get the puck up ice quicker on the PP. Osgood always leaves it behind the net. He rarely skates out of his crease and gets it up ice quickly so they can get back in the attacking zone. Then Lidstrom and Rafalski have to skate all the way back behind the net. It would be nice to see a goalie allow the Wings 10-15 more seconds per power play in the attacking zone because he was a good puck handler.

I'm kinda scratching my head over a couple of things that are implied assumptions in your post...

A - That Osgood isn't going to be on the Wings next year.

B - That the Wings will have enough cap room to sign ANYONE outside the organization next year.

C - That if we got rid of Ozzie, we'd be able to find someone better for the 1.4 million cap space he takes up.

Sure, there are goalies out there that are much better at moving the puck than Ozzie. But at 1.4 million, you're not going to find a goalie that has the same credentials as Ozzie. Namely tons of playoff experience, 3 Stanley Cups to his resume, and a calming effect on his teammates.

There aren't many goal tenders that are much better at handling the puck. Osgood's not the best, but he handles the puck well enough. Other than that I totally agreee with you.

After a seven-year hiatus, Chris Osgood was the first goaltender to score a goal since Ron Hextall did so in the 1989 playoffs.

yeah he cant handle the puck well......

If you believe that a goal, is the end all/be all for a goalie being able to move the puck.. then something is wrong. :\

I would just like to see someone who could get the puck up ice quicker on the PP. Osgood always leaves it behind the net. He rarely skates out of his crease and gets it up ice quickly so they can get back in the attacking zone. Then Lidstrom and Rafalski have to skate all the way back behind the net. It would be nice to see a goalie allow the Wings 10-15 more seconds per power play in the attacking zone because he was a good puck handler.

That's the style of PP the Wings play man... They set her up in their own zone and work it into the opposings.... they don't run n gun like Atlanta and some others....

If you believe that a goal, is the end all/be all for a goalie being able to move the puck.. then something is wrong. :\

oh not at all. but op makes it seem like osgood just sits in the net. never moves the puck up the ice. my point was just 1 of many.

Guest Shoreline

I always wondered why the Wings didn't stack their 4 lines with two-way forwards who can shoot like Ovechkin, pass like Datsyuk, skate like Helm, and fight like Carcillo..

I always wondered why the Wings didn't stack their 4 lines with two-way forwards who can shoot like Ovechkin, pass like Datsyuk, skate like Helm, and fight like Carcillo..

I know. God, our scouts are atrocious.

Ozzie isn't getting any younger, but at this point Turco is a liability coming off a bad season.

I wouldn't go after him but I also wouldn't be surprised if Dallas moves him since they seem to like that Stephan goalie.

You mean the goalie who started in all of 5 games this season?

Edited by Hockeytown0001