• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Ozzie still gets no respect

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/window/oneclip_nhl_playoffs.html# video entitled "The Real Deal"

Talks about how Fluery and Ward are elite, but everyone overlooks them. At the end, TSN mentions both Fluery and Ward are tied for playoff wins since the lockout with 23 each. They don't mention Ozzie winning 14 last season and 9 so far this season, plus he beating Fluery head-to-head for the Cup!

Unbelievable.

Edited by Ozzie30

Ozzie is sadly, the kind of player that will never get the kind of respect he deserves until he's dead. Once he's gone (and let's all pray that it's 60 years from now or later), suddenly everyone will be climbing all over themselves to talk about how great he was, how important he was and how integral he was to the Wings winning.

Which absolutely sucks.

He'd get respect if he was consistent, and didn't have the defense and offense he has in front of him. Ozzie hasn't stole us a game single handedly, He hasn't bailed us out.. He's always the one being bailed out.

I disagree. In these playoffs, he's saved our bacon more than once. Early against Columbus when we were slow out of the gate and then he was nothing less then spectacular against Anaheim. Plus we haven't seen any of his trademark regular season bad goals.

He'd get respect if he was consistent, and didn't have the defense and offense he has in front of him. Ozzie hasn't stole us a game single handedly, He hasn't bailed us out.. He's always the one being bailed out.

Ozzy has made some huge saves at the right time this playoff run. No offense, but to say that he's "always the one being bailed out" is pretty moronic.

I disagree. In these playoffs, he's saved our bacon more than once. Early against Columbus when we were slow out of the gate and then he was nothing less then spectacular against Anaheim. Plus we haven't seen any of his trademark regular season bad goals.

He let a bad one by yesterday, it wasn't completely his fault, but it was still a bad goal.

Calling Fleury elite is laughable. He's had, what, 1 decent season? He struggled mightly this year in the regular season and the majority of the playoffs.

Fleury just isn't in the same class as Ward.

I'm not saying i dont LOVE ozzie, Because i'd rather have no goalie in the league other than him right now.

BUT.

You dont see him standing on his head, and taking over a game like you do with other goalies. I still have a mad amount of respect for Ozzie, But he just isn't the best goalie in the league. If you plugged in a guy like Cam Ward for the ducks series, I'd bet that series wouldn't have went more then 5 games.

Edit: Ooops quoted wrong Reply:

You Really think that is true (Look at his stats for this playoff run) that Ward would have made it 5 games. They look pretty similar.

GAA 2.06 vs 2.22 Edge Osgood

SV% .922 vs .927 Edge Ward

1 Tim Thomas BOS 11 323 21 1.85 7 4 0 302 .935 1 0 1 0 679:44

2 Chris Osgood DET 12 335 26 2.06 9 3 0 309 .922 1 0 1 0 758:29

3 Cam Ward CAR 14 441 32 2.22 8 6 0 409 .927 2 0 0 0 865:14

4 Jonas Hiller ANA 13 524 30 2.23 7 6 0 494 .943 2 0 0 0 806:43

5 Martin Brodeur NJD 7 239 17 2.39 3 4 0 222 .929 1 0 0 4 426:41

6 Roberto Luongo VAN 10 304 26 2.52 6 4 0 278 .914 1 0 0 0 617:57

7 Simeon Varlamov WSH 13 389 32 2.53 7 6 0 357 .918 2 0 0 2 758:52

8 Marc-Andre Fleury PIT 13 373 37 2.72 8 5 0 336 .901 0 0 0 2 815:10

9 Nikolai Khabibulin CHI 13 359 37 2.86 8 5 0 322 .897 0 0 0 0 775:54

Edited by 13Wings40

I'm not saying i dont LOVE ozzie, Because i'd rather have no goalie in the league other than him right now.

BUT.

You dont see him standing on his head, and taking over a game like you do with other goalies. I still have a mad amount of respect for Ozzie, But he just isn't the best goalie in the league. If you plugged in a guy like Cam Ward for the ducks series, I'd bet that series wouldn't have went more then 5 games.

Well, I think it's more important to plug a guy like Nick Lidstrom and a guy like Brian Rafalski in front of a guy like Chris Osgood than to plug a guy like _______ and ________ in front of Cam Ward. I like the way the Wings are spreading their money. It works. I can't even name the top two defensemen for Carolina. I'm sure I'd recognize them, but they don't come to mind.

So it is Osgood's fault that his team isn't being clearly outplayed to the point where he has to continue making saves every few minutes?

Btw, Osgood's play had nothing to do with that series. It would be ridiculous to think Cam would have helped that series.

He's not paid to steal games... yet he has.

He is paid to keep the Wings in the game, so that Detroit's high-paid forwards and defensemen can win it. Which he does on a consistent basis.

Though these past two post-seasons, he is playing a hell of a lot better than anyone can expect from a $1.4m goalie.

If it was so gd easy to have a really good team and you just need to be an average goalie to win cups, the sens would've had 3 by now. Ozzie went to s***ty teams in the Islanders and St. Louis and I believe he took them to the playoffs. I believe he was on the Isles team that had the greatest turnaround pointwise his first year there. He's tough as hell and I wish he would just beat the s*** out of some reporters. Ask Cujo about how easy it is just to be okay and win in Detroit. I liked when last game McGuire said something like people think your the weak link and ozzie said i don't care im in the top ten in playoff wins, played for 15 years...

It'd be nice if he did get a little more credit and respect but this is nothing new. He's use to it by now. Sometimes I run across something that give him the credit he deserves but those are few and far between.

This article gives him a little respect:

Respect

BUT.

So you're saying Ward would only allow 2 or fewer goals a game? And he would shut out the ducks in that 2-1 loss?

Sorry, Ward's had some game-stealers but with the Wings defence Ward wouldn't need to make those saves. Ward and Osgood also have a similar mindset - nothing rattles them. If Ward was a Wings goalie, we'd be criticizing him for not being good enough just the same as Ozzie. The difference? Ozzie's old, Ward's still young.

I'd rather have Ozzie in net, he's more of a favourite to me, and hasn't disappointed me in the past two runs.

If it was so gd easy to have a really good team and you just need to be an average goalie to win cups, the sens would've had 3 by now. Ozzie went to s***ty teams in the Islanders and St. Louis and I believe he took them to the playoffs. I believe he was on the Isles team that had the greatest turnaround pointwise his first year there. He's tough as hell and I wish he would just beat the s*** out of some reporters. Ask Cujo about how easy it is just to be okay and win in Detroit. I liked when last game McGuire said something like people think your the weak link and ozzie said i don't care im in the top ten in playoff wins, played for 15 years...

As I remember, Cujo was more than "just OK" in his two playoff runs with the Wings. Didn't he have something like just over 2.00 goals against and over 91% save % when we ran into a hot Giggy with Anaheim in 02/03 and an even better 1.40 goals against and just slightly under 94% save % when we encountered an even hotter Kipper for the Flames in the 03/04 playoffs? I think if we had Babcock instead of everybody's buddy Dave Lewis for those two playoff runs, we might have had better luck. As for Osgood, he has certainly held up his end of the deal but he has been no better than the offense and defense in front of him. I just wanted to see what Sunday's game looked like in fast motion, and in doing so it looked like way way more of the action occurred in the Blackhawks defensive zone than vice versa. I said before the playoffs that as long as Ozzie was good.....not great.....that the Wings would be just fine. So far, so good.

I think it's pretty hard to be the type of goaltender that Osgood is. The guy isn't the type of goalie who can get shelled and stand on his head, but he IS the type of goalie who can maintain focus when facing a low number of shots. He's an ideal goalie for the style of play the Wings utilize. The shots on goal this season were higher than usual, and I think most fans would agree that the defense was lacking at times. Bringing in a goaltender who needs to face tons of shots to stay "sharp" doesn't work. It hasn't worked in the past (Joseph, as a prime example).

Osgood will likely never get respect from other fans because he's not a conventional top end goalie, but I personally believe that the majority of goaltenders in the NHL don't have the mental fortitude that Ozzie does. They'd crack only facing 20 shots everyday, they'd crack for being bashed and labelled as the "weak link" all the time and they'd crack with the pressure to win that the Red Wings brass expects out of their players. There's a reason Wings fans love Ozzie and chant his name when he saves a puck, and it's because he's our type of goalie.

He's been accused of being cocky, but he's just a winner and he knows it. Chris Osgood wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. That is all.

All I know is that I have been watching the Wings since 1991 when I was 4 years old. Of all the goalies that have played here, I have never heard anyone cheer for them the way the Joe cheers for Ozzie. He is the Golden Boy of Detroit.

There is a reason for that.

Go Ozzie I love you man.