• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Coffey77

Greetings from Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

You can't just use stats to determine what is going to happen. It's not all about the numbers. Who knows what the numbers are going to look like if they match up against eachother. But yeah, looking at this, Detroit are the definite favorites. But I don't think that stats would tell you that Pittsburgh was going to make it to the SCF, back when they were in 10th place earlier in the season. It's not all about stats. These Penguins have a lot more depth than last year. And the complete ass-whooping you guys gave us last year taught us a hell of a lot. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Pens are going to win ( though I hope). But I think the Wings are going to have a much harder time with them.

Really? Hossa, Malone, Roberts... for Satan,Fedortanko (or however the hell you spell his name :P ), Guerin. Kunitz isn't scary from an offensive standpoint, he is however, a critical component that was added to your team. He singlehandedly made your PK jump forward in quality.

I'll give you this much- Crosby is almost twice as scary as he was last year. He's been a f***in' wrecking machine. I'm less impressed by Malkin's 6 game scoring orgy simply because it's been mostly against one team and it happened over such a short period. Malkin's still a beast, but Crosby's been scary since game 1 of the playoffs.

I agree with you that this series will be much tougher than last year's. Last season I literally laughed in the face of the guys at work that said the Penguins would stomp all over the Wings. Our defense was playing amazing and the Wings were by far the class of the league from the very beginning of the season. This year I'm much more wary about the Penguins. The Wings' PK is terrible right now. They're really missing Lilja's shot blocking and the powerful effect of a healthy Datsyuk. But Hossa's hot again (although I want to see him play at last game's level tonight before I'm happy with him again) and Datsyuk has had more than a week off, so I'm hoping he'll be well rested and healed in time for the finals.

There's no way this series is shorter than 6 games.

And Pens fans should feel blessed by the league if they move the schedule to make Games 1 and 2 back to backs this weekend. That negates the rest period after this series, and more importantly, it removes home ice advantage from the Wings' equation. A back to back is much, much, much easier to split than two spaced out games.

That he's a "blessing" which I agree with doesn't actually contradict that he's "replaceable," which I also agree with.

We might be able to replace him.. but I've a feeling we'll be spending an extra 3-4 million to do so. That cap space sure isn't replaceable, and by proxy, him.

Currently, we're hoping for something big out of Howard, Larsson, or McCollum. We'll have them RFA a handful of years, and then if one of them proves himself capable of filling the role full time, we're going to be paying at LEAST 4 million a year given current non RFA contracts (and the final RFA contract will probably be around 2.5/3M, double what Ozzie makes).

before you write the wings as the next cup winner, you people better win the current series. teams have come from 3-1 to win before. this would easily be a six game series if khabibulin were playing. instead, you get to shoot pucks at some AHL caliber goalie. we're waiting.

You do realize that Fleury and Khabi sit beside each other in all the goaltending statistical categories, right?

Edit: And I should point out that those two aren't sitting at the top of those categories, either.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

You do realize that Fleury and Khabi sit beside each other in all the goaltending statistical categories, right?

i don't know what's with you wings fans and this reading thing. khabi isn't even playing tonight, so yes the wings will have an easy win over an ahl-caliber goalie - Huet or whomever.

i don't care much for stats. in fact, i have not really used many stats to back up my arguments. all i know is that fluery is playing well enough for us to have a shot at winning. it's the timeliness of his saves that are more important. the one he had against ovechkin in game 7 comes to mind.

Edited by sidthekid

i don't know what's with you wings fans and this reading thing. khabi isn't even playing tonight, so yes the wings will have an easy win over an ahl-caliber goalie - Huet or whomever.

My point was to make light of the fact that statistically, Khabi and Fleury are the worst remaining goalies.

Sindy: "...i didn't know i was punching his ass. c'mon! i'd never do that....eeewwww. I was mugging for the camera and didn't look where my fist was going. i found the camera with the little red light on and smiled pretty."

i don't care much for stats. in fact, i have not really used many stats to back up my arguments. all i know is that fluery is playing well enough for us to have a shot at winning. it's the timeliness of his saves that are more important. the one he had against ovechkin in game 7 comes to mind.

I don't know what's with you Pen fans and this logic thing. You tell us that the series isn't over, but we're playing an AHL caliber goalie so it is over, but it wouldn't be over if Khabibulin were playing, but our missing players aren't mentioned Draper, Datsuk and Lidstrom.... Basically you're making it up as you go and when people point out you're not able to keep your own story straight, you just start with the reading thing. Oh, devastating, I can't follow your Swiss cheese logic because I can't read. Mortally wounded! :rolleyes:

Edited by NomadFromKazoo

"Ppffftt...Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even REMOTELY true. Facts-smacts."

- Homer Simpson

I'm absolutely positive I've been watching the same series.

One of the goals last night was a complete fluke goal.. the one that the Pens took the lead on. It was a result of lack of concentration on Ward's part - otherwise, it would've been an easy stop. It wasn't a spectacular play. It wasn't even really skill. It was just a fluke goal - much like the one Fleury gave up to Staal.

Of the three remaining goals, two were assisted by Crosby.

In the end, without Crosby or Malkin on the ice, the Penguins talent goes through the floor.

Now wait a minute -- first you claim nothing happens if Crosby or Malkin aren't involved, now you want to go after the quality of the goals the other guys scored. Hmmm.

I could say the same thing for, say, that fluke of a gift-wrap goal the Ducks' netminder put into the net for your guys, to seal up Game 7 -- but hey, that would be changing the subject too, now, wouldn't it?

Every wishful-thinking fan of every Pens' opponent says the same thing -- because they WANT the Pens to be a two-man show. Again, the dominant player last night wasn't Crosby or Malkin. If you'd watched you'd know that, even the announcers were going on about him.

ok ... this is what i think will decide the series...

only 3 things!!!!

1) health of the wings *BIGGEST*

2) Pk of the wings

3) physicality of the wings (can pitts handle it )

both teams can claim to match up well on both f/d/st/g

guess we will see....

Now wait a minute -- first you claim nothing happens if Crosby or Malkin aren't involved, now you want to go after the quality of the goals the other guys scored. Hmmm.

I could say the same thing for, say, that fluke of a gift-wrap goal the Ducks' netminder put into the net for your guys, to seal up Game 7 -- but hey, that would be changing the subject too, now, wouldn't it?

Every wishful-thinking fan of every Pens' opponent says the same thing -- because they WANT the Pens to be a two-man show. Again, the dominant player last night wasn't Crosby or Malkin. If you'd watched you'd know that, even the announcers were going on about him.

Just like all of the Wings' opponents want the Wings to be too old, not physical enough, tired, etc.

When people make the argument that there's a huge drop off from Malkin, Crosby, to the rest of your forwards they're not crazy for saying it if they're Wings fans. We've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen slipping into Hudler, Filppula, Cleary, then into another tier of players.

Yeah, the Pens have some depth, it's just nothing compared to the depth of the Wings.

*If* Pens can bring their A game for 60 minutes, every player on their roster plays above and beyond their capabilities, consistently. And if Detroit Red Wings have lots of key injuries, such as Lids, Dats, Drapes and Lilja. Then Pens might have a chance at winning a best of 7. But that's a lot of *ifs*!

I also expect the calls to favor the Pens.

But first, Detroit needs to put away Hawks.

Hawks > Pens

ok ... this is what i think will decide the series...

only 3 things!!!!

1) health of the wings *BIGGEST*

2) Pk of the wings

3) physicality of the wings (can pitts handle it )

both teams can claim to match up well on both f/d/st/g

guess we will see....

All of this tells me that a Pens-Wings series is really the Wings to lose. That their opponent doesn't matter. I bet the same thing could be said if the Wings were to face the 'Canes, Caps, or Boston.

All of this tells me that a Pens-Wings series is really the Wings to lose. That their opponent doesn't matter. I bet the same thing could be said if the Wings were to face the 'Canes, Caps, or Boston.

You are absolutely correct. it is there series to lose. "If" 1) we can get healthy and stay that way, 2) we limit there pp chances and 3) we are physical with them through the series, we can definetly beat them... but there are some big "if's".

All i have been reading really is that pens fans beleive that they are a better team than they were last year because of the additions and because malkin and crosby are more mature?

I dont think anyone has mentioned the fact that we are the same team as last year. The same team that beat them in 6. (which we all know probably should have been 5) We lost no one (of real value) and now we return with one of their prolific goal scorers in red and white.

IF we can get & stay healthy we have a great chance .

IF...........

Edited by yzefan

You might want to care about this stat "FACT"

The team that has the longest wait until the cup series starts has NEVER won!!!!

care now ?

I didn't say anything about Talbot's goal. That was a quality goal. But you can't tell me that the goal that put the Pens at 2-1 wasn't a fluke. It was just as flukey as the goal that put the Canes at 1-0. If you consider those "quality" goals, I don't know what to tell you.

There's fluke goals in every game. The Wings have had plenty of them, as have every other team in the league. It's part of hockey. However, I'm judging the Pens on their skill - not their flukes.. so I took away one of the four goals. That seems pretty fair to me. Of the remaining three, two were assisted by Crosby. That leaves one quality goal that didn't involve Malkin or Crosby in any way.

Carolina's game left a lot to be desired. Their turnovers and poor passing were enough to tell me they had no chance in this series. They did nothing to shut down anybody on the Penguins. Nothing. And the Pens took full advantage of that. The only thing they were good at was holding the puck in the Pens zone for extended periods of time. But they had nobody in front of Fleury. They made risky passes through the lanes. They just weren't ready for the Pens.

I'm not saying this out of "wishful thinking". I'm saying this because it's true. You have two star players and a whole lot of fill-ins. Without Crosby and Malkin producing the way they are, the Penguins are hurt. Compare Pittsburgh's secondary scoring to Detroit's. Detroit's depth outranks and outmatches Pittsburgh's by a mile and a half.

And yes, you can go on about Jordan Staal all you want. He's an excellent player, but he needs to up his game another level when he gets to Detroit.

Edited by Ms_Hockey

you people = red wings and their fans

i

You fail at humor and are also probably too young to see rated R movies.

Just like all of the Wings' opponents want the Wings to be too old, not physical enough, tired, etc.

Exactly.

We've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen slipping into Hudler, Filppula, Cleary...

Those last three guys don't exactly scare anybody.

But I agree about the depth, that and the big-game savvy are what has set Detroit apart from the rest of the league. If it's Pens-Wings, burden's on the Pens to show they belong in that class.

I don't know what's with you Pen fans and this logic thing. You tell us that the series isn't over, but we're playing an AHL caliber goalie so it is over, but it wouldn't be over if Khabibulin were playing, but our missing players aren't mentioned Draper, Datsuk and Lidstrom.... Basically you're making it up as you go and when people point out you're not able to keep your own story straight, you just start with the reading thing. Oh, devastating, I can't follow your Swiss cheese logic because I can't read. Mortally wounded! :rolleyes:

yeah i posted that before i knew khabi wasn't playing tonight. so congrats on getting to play a low caliber goalie. seriously, you people played 2 crummy teams on route to the finals. and who cares if you don't have draper, datsuk and lidstrom? you don't need those guys to beat Huet. even i could probably score on Huet.