• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Game 1: Lidstrom will play, Ericsson questionable

Rate this topic

I have been telling my roommate all week that Dats is not hurt, Babs is sitting him due to lack of production. This is something that Babs would do to show that even superstars have to be productive to play on the Wings.

I could be wrong but something tells me a shot to the foot, if not broken would not keep Dats out of the playoffs considering Stevie Y played on one leg and Stevie Y is in the front office and you know dam well he is in the locker room before and after games.

Totally agree that Datsyuk and Babcock could either be faking it or it is a mind-game played by Babs. I wrote this earlier today on another thread:

There's no way we'll ever know and this is all conjecture, but yes. I think Babcock could be sure enough of his players that he felt it was more important to rest Lidstrom at that point. I believe he really believes in his players...that they have the mindset and team perspective that they're better than anybody when they want to play that way and that their depth could/would see them through Wednesday's game.

Furthermore, I want to think that Datsyuk - even though he got hit in the same area with a second puck - is ready to play and I'd love to think he's been re-conditioning and skating elsewhere. That is, if that's legal by the NHL's most curious rules.

Babcock is a brilliant, ballsy, hard-nosed coach and I think he's capable of any or all of the above.

Totally agree that Datsyuk and Babcock could either be faking it or it is a mind-game played by Babs. I wrote this earlier today on another thread:

There's no way we'll ever know and this is all conjecture, but yes. I think Babcock could be sure enough of his players that he felt it was more important to rest Lidstrom at that point. I believe he really believes in his players...that they have the mindset and team perspective that they're better than anybody when they want to play that way and that their depth could/would see them through Wednesday's game.

Furthermore, I want to think that Datsyuk - even though he got hit in the same area with a second puck - is ready to play and I'd love to think he's been re-conditioning and skating elsewhere. That is, if that's legal by the NHL's most curious rules.

Babcock is a brilliant, ballsy, hard-nosed coach and I think he's capable of any or all of the above.

Actually, it's not Babs who decides, right? It's Kenny and Co.

There's no doubt in my mind that Nick was simply being rested. I'm less certain about Dats, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction...

Actually, it's not Babs who decides, right? It's Kenny and Co.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of it that way. I suppose Holland would, but I can't imagine Babcock not having a voice in those kinds of decision(s). Either way, I think it's all within the range of plausibility. :)

Have you guys seen the clips over at TSN of Datsyuk practicing?? He can hardly skate, and has no power from that injured foot.

I don't see him coming back for a while. He is a key player to shut down Malkin and Crosby.

I will be confident in the Wings with Dats in the lineup.

Now I am very nervous. Hossa better step it up big time (like his last 2 games).

I have been telling my roommate all week that Dats is not hurt, Babs is sitting him due to lack of production. This is something that Babs would do to show that even superstars have to be productive to play on the Wings.

Not a chance in hell. Pavel has been playing great despite not scoring.

All these conspiracy theories about Nick and Pav are ridiculous. Babs is a straight-shooter, he tells it like it is. Just because they don't give away all the details about their injures don't mean that they're not hurt.

Great news that Big E and Lids are back on Saturday though. We can live without Datsyuk with the way that Filppula and Hossa have been playing. I just hope he'll be back at some point in the finals.

Guest mindfly

Just looked over at TSN, the dude could hardly use the right foot, not push it whatsoever... it doesnt look good at all :(

There's no doubt in my mind that Nick was simply being rested. I'm less certain about Dats, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction...

:blink:

You're joking, right?

No team is that overconfident that they'd rest someone just because they're ahead in the series, let alone their most important player and a guy that has never missed a playoff game before.

I suppose Babcock would only play him if there was a game 7, right? Imagine how stupid he'd look if we lost the series after resting Lidstrom for several games.

Lidstrom is our captain and an iron man, and I've never heard of healthy players being rested in the playoffs in any sport. I don't think of Lidstrom or Babcock as being the guys that would break that kind of pattern in sports.

I think Dats has been playing injured prior to the shot to the foot. Despite still being sound defensively, he hasn't been himself since the BJ series. Not only has he had trouble putting the puck in the net, but he also eased up on the physicality against the Ducks and Hawks, and I feel that's a telltale sign for him, considering how physical he plays in the postseason.

Anyway, I'm not confident he'll be back.

:blink:

You're joking, right?

No team is that overconfident that they'd rest someone just because they're ahead in the series, let alone their most important player and a guy that has never missed a playoff game before.

I suppose Babcock would only play him if there was a game 7, right? Imagine how stupid he'd look if we lost the series after resting Lidstrom for several games.

Lidstrom is our captain and an iron man, and I've never heard of healthy players being rested in the playoffs in any sport. I don't think of Lidstrom or Babcock as being the guys that would break that kind of pattern in sports.

I don't think it's up to Babs. I think Nick and Kenny make those decisions.

I don't think it's up to Babs. I think Nick and Kenny make those decisions.

I don't believe they'd be so brassy and nonprofessional to do something like that.

This isn't the regular season, and being up in a series doesn't mean you can coast the rest of the way through.

Like I said earlier, there is no precedent in sports for something like this.

Guest mindfly

The coach decides everything come playoff time, kenny just said he's just a fan in the playoffs hoping for the best in an interview at nhlnetwork.

Edited by mindfly

Datsyuk has been hobbled by what some are calling an ankle injury that has inhibited his skating, forcing him to miss the last three games against Chicago. But he sported a big smile when answering questions about his status.

"I'm always optimistic," he said. "You always have a chance. Today I skated with the team and I had a lot of fun.

"I feel more comfortable," Datsyuk said. "Maybe not 100 percent, but I think I can play."

So, Pav, is it your ankle?

"I can't tell you about it," he said, with the smile getting even bigger.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424262&...vid=DL|NHL|Home

Hmm, interesting.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct

Now would be a good time to pull out some old audio footage of Brent Gilchrist taking the big needles to the groin to stay in the playoffs and play them for the boys...

cortisone-shot-flare.jpg

Edited by Glubki

I've been watching the Stanley Cup Finals coverage here in Ontario (Sportnet, The Score, TSN), no way Datsyuk is playing tomorrow. Probably not the first two games if i was to guess from what i've seen and have been hearing.

Their basically saying a game-time decision tomorrow is a pipe dream.

Damn, that does not sound encouraging.

Maybe it's been discussed before, but do we know exactly when Dats got injured? I haven't been able to watch all of the games, but I've got all of them Tivo'd, and I'd definitely be interested in checking out the play if, as most seem to be saying, he took a shot off the foot.

Edited by Grateful Gadsby

Damn, that does not sound encouraging.

Maybe it's been discussed before, but do we know exactly when Dats got injured? I haven't been able to watch all of the games, but I've got all of them Tivo'd, and I'd definitely be interested in checking out the play if, as most seem to be saying, he took a shot off the foot.

He didn't look good, but if you scroll up there's an article posted on NHL.com where he says "I think i can play"....Saying he's not 100%.

Supposedly he got hit in the same spot with a shot that he got hit in the Ducks series, hats why it got so bad.

No sense rushing Datsyuk, to be honest. It's probably not a bad thing to try and win Game 1 without him, just to see where we're at. At the very least our players are all so great defensively even our third and fourth lines should be able to contain Crosby.