• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MississippiWing

Words that need to be banned from Hockey Vocabulary

Rate this topic

compete level

Win. I'm not sure when "compete" became an adjective or a noun, but it's freaking annoying. Sometimes, I'll hear something like "he has a lot of compete," along with the usual "he has a high compete level."

I'll stand up and admit that I like Doc's unique way of saying things--drive, cancel, spikes, paraphernalia, etc. It adds a uniqueness to the broadcasts that you don't see anymore. I'd hate to see what you guys would say if LGW was around in the heyday of the legendary Danny Gallivan.

But thats the NHL way.

They even cut their names short and then add a y, or an er depending.

I went to Matt Butcher's Chiliwack Chiefs game a few years back and was sitting with his dad Garth (alumni of Vancouver Canucks, Blues, Leafs, and Nordiques I think) and I said "wow, the Chiefs got a big Dman named Blackmon from Texas of all places?" He says, "oh yeah, Blacky,,, he's a good kid".

Thats Canadian and its hockey.

and possibly racist, depending on the ethnicity of Blackmon

I rarely listen to the idiots doing the commentary, so thankfully I've missed out on a bunch of these. I usually turn the volume on the TV down and just listen to some music or something. Versus and NBC both suck.

"Sending a message." Replacements: gooning, fighting, frustrated slashing, hitting someone in the head, back, legs etc.

One thing that would make me happy is if all Red Wings fans knew how to say "Lidstrom". I cannot stand when people pronounce his name "Lindstrom". If he were a minor league prospect, it would still bother me. But he's on the ice half the game and the announcers say his name 50 ***** times a game. Some of the most die-hard fans still say his name "Lindstrom", and it drives me insane. Nick LIDstrom. Say it with me. The LID goes on top of the can. The LID is used to keep the vegetables fresh. The LIND does not exist. Now say "Strom" like strumming a guitar. "Strom" "Strom" Strom". "LID" now "Strom" "LIDstrom". Lidstrom

It's Lidström.

Also: Holmström and Franzén.

Whenever announcers say, "If you're _________ then you have to ___________."

For example: "If you're Mike Babcock you have to feel good about that last period."

Or: "If you're the Red Wings you have to limit your turnovers."

There is a zero percent chance that I, or anyone listening to this broadcast, am Mike Babcock, or the Red Wings. Acceptable: "If you're a Red Wings fan you have to feel good about that last period." Fine. Many people listening to the broadcast are just that. The "if you're" construct is an obnoxious, passive-aggressive way of getting out of directly saying "Mike Babcock needs to do such and such."

Oh, and I'm with C-Town. I like Doc's weirdness. It's not contrived, or at least he's very good at concealing it if it is, but I figure it's just the way he talks. It's not a Doc-broadcasted game unless he says DRIVE! and waffleboarded. At first his nasally voice bothered me, but I've gotten used to it and I think he's one of the better broadcasters now.

It's Lidström.

Also: Holmström and Franzén.

I don't watch enough baseball to know if this is still the case, but I remember a few years ago, ESPN was big on getting all the accents on the Spanish names. Given the nationality diversity in hockey, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a push for that with the NHL.

Whenever announcers say, "If you're _________ then you have to ___________."

For example: "If you're Mike Babcock you have to feel good about that last period."

Or: "If you're the Red Wings you have to limit your turnovers."

There is a zero percent chance that I, or anyone listening to this broadcast, am Mike Babcock, or the Red Wings. Acceptable: "If you're a Red Wings fan you have to feel good about that last period." Fine. Many people listening to the broadcast are just that. The "if you're" construct is an obnoxious, passive-aggressive way of getting out of directly saying "Mike Babcock needs to do such and such."

Oh, and I'm with C-Town. I like Doc's weirdness. It's not contrived, or at least he's very good at concealing it if it is, but I figure it's just the way he talks. It's not a Doc-broadcasted game unless he says DRIVE! and waffleboarded. At first his nasally voice bothered me, but I've gotten used to it and I think he's one of the better broadcasters now.

Yes, and it's just as bad when they say "if I'm Mike Babcock..."

Dude, unless you're Murph, Mike Babcock has better hair. Look in the mirror if you aren't sure.

Yes, and it's just as bad when they say "if I'm Mike Babcock..."

Dude, unless you're Murph, Mike Babcock has better hair. Look in the mirror if you aren't sure.

Yikes...flashback to the first time my gf saw Murph and said "he looks like a pedophile with that hair!" There's no touching Babs in this area...no guy his age has a right to that hair, it's sick.

Just to add something productive to this post, I could do without hearing about energy levels. Usually immediately preceded or followed by something about how the Wings are old. But it's not a Wings-specific thing, I just don't like the phrase.