No registered users viewing this page.

MississippiWing

Words that need to be banned from Hockey Vocabulary

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

day-to-day injury...........

Edited by mindfly

Replace "gamesmanship" with "cheating and poor sportsmanship"

Oh, and replace "Ran out of real estate" with any other phrase synonymous with "ran out of room." It was probably funny the first few times, but now it's like that guy who still thinks "That's what she said!" jokes are funny.

Edited by grsbmd

"Great save Luongo"

"Slap-pass"

Hughson drives me insane when he does Canucks broadcasts.

Hughson is the man. I love it when he says "Great save Luongo", except when a Detroit player is shooting of course. I was rather unhappy when he started doing the 7:00 HNIC Toronto games.

One thing that would make me happy is if all Red Wings fans knew how to say "Lidstrom". I cannot stand when people pronounce his name "Lindstrom". If he were a minor league prospect, it would still bother me. But he's on the ice half the game and the announcers say his name 50 ***** times a game. Some of the most die-hard fans still say his name "Lindstrom", and it drives me insane. Nick LIDstrom. Say it with me. The LID goes on top of the can. The LID is used to keep the vegetables fresh. The LIND does not exist. Now say "Strom" like strumming a guitar. "Strom" "Strom" Strom". "LID" now "Strom" "LIDstrom". Lidstrom

HAHA, thanks you soo much!! This is a huge beef with me too! I couldn't definitely not have put together this lesson plan any better!

"Roof-daddy"

This one must go!

"It's a four-on-four. Forwards have forwards, D have D."

No duh.

I have a submission that needs expanded usage:

subtle-little-interference: exclusively used to describe a situation wherein a Detroit player competes with an opposing player for the same piece of ice, especially when neither has the puck. Frequently occurs after face-offs or preceeding goals. Recommend applying to the remaining 29 teams in the NHL who all practice this legal form of interference.

HAHA, thanks you soo much!! This is a huge beef with me too! I couldn't definitely not have put together this lesson plan any better!

I wish I could just let it rub off, but I know this chick who claims to be the most die-hard Red Wings fan on the planet, and she says his name "Lindstrom". After watching the team for 10 years, going to 5-10 games a year, and meeting up with lots of other Red Wings fans, she still says it "Lindstrom". Like nails on a chalkboard to me.

subtle-little-interference: exclusively used to describe a situation wherein a Detroit player competes with an opposing player for the same piece of ice, especially when neither has the puck. Frequently occurs after face-offs or preceeding goals. Recommend applying to the remaining 29 teams in the NHL who all practice this legal form of interference.

But, but, Detroit is so good at it!

THANK YOU.

"Active stick"

"Active boards"

i think these are fair descriptive words, i think they are a necessity. its just hockey talk.

And i think if a lot of these words were eliminated the broadcast just wouldn't be as fun. i mean i personally dislike the word parafanlia (spelling?). but if doc stops sayin that word he'll just come up with something else that bothers me. i don't mind the words so much as the anti-wings and pro-pens speech.

One thing that would make me happy is if all Red Wings fans knew how to say "Lidstrom". I cannot stand when people pronounce his name "Lindstrom". If he were a minor league prospect, it would still bother me. But he's on the ice half the game and the announcers say his name 50 ***** times a game. Some of the most die-hard fans still say his name "Lindstrom", and it drives me insane. Nick LIDstrom. Say it with me. The LID goes on top of the can. The LID is used to keep the vegetables fresh. The LIND does not exist. Now say "Strom" like strumming a guitar. "Strom" "Strom" Strom". "LID" now "Strom" "LIDstrom". Lidstrom

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

someone on facebook whom i don't really know that well but seems to be a diehard wings fan actually typed "lindstrom" the other day...seriously!!!! WTF!!! it annoys me when people can't spell filppula, but he hasn't been around that long and it's a weird name. but for f***'s sake, this guys been our captain for how many seasons now, and has been one of the best d-men in the league for a really long time...and has been a wing his entire career! there is NO REASON for ANYONE to think that his name is spelled or pronounced "lindstrom."

Emrick saying Drive!!!!! on every play

Joe Beninati says it a lot too. It seems like that word just has to be used in every sport: baseball has the line-drive; football uses it to describe their running game; basketball players drive to the net; NASCAR and golf are obvious.

It's an aggressive, powerful sounding word. I'd prefer they just say "shot" or any of it's variations.

Phrases and things I'd like to see banned from use;

"nhl awareness" - Pierre McGuire

"active stick/boards" - Pierre McGuire

"that guy's a monster!" - Pierre McGuire

"xx is a special, special player" - Pierre McGuire

"gritty Garry Roberts" - Bob Cole/Harry Neale

"Pierre McGuire" - Everyone able to speak

This one must go!

No duh.

I have a submission that needs expanded usage:

WIN.