• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Coolio Mendez

Illitch "snubs" Bettman

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut
of course maybe Malkin doesn't understand the rule. Every pic I see of him, it looks like all he can say is "Duh.... Gee.... Ok...."

Malkin's an amazing player... but with that said, I picture him a bit like adam sandler in the waterboy.

Illitch isn't a sportsman, he's a businessman. And clearly he thinks Bettman is hurting his business. And clearly, he's a good businessman. Just saying.

All smacks of junior high school girl attitudes. If Ilitch really wants to take bettman on, why not do it in a meaningful way and call him out on issues with comments to the press, form committees... and take the fines while getting the issues up front. Instead he does what? Doesn't shake his hand? Oh boy, that will show Bettman. It's a ***** move.

Crosby snub = classless and a 328 post (at the time of this posting) thread.

Illitch snub = the right move and barely any notice.

Love this place.

there's a huge difference between age old tradition being s*** canned by some whiny litty ***** cindy, and disrespect from the games best owner to a complete ****** bag commissioner that year by year is ruining the nhl.

of course maybe Malkin doesn't understand the rule. Every pic I see of him, it looks like all he can say is "Duh.... Gee.... Ok...."

He does look like a mouthbreathing buffoon out there. When I see him, I just imagine that when he skates by you just hear "duuurrrrrr"

I thought everyone knew that Ilitch was an ass...

dude your out to lunch, Gary is the ass, illitch had every right to snub him like he did, bettman has done nothing but disrespect the wings and talk pittsburgh up, he has not earned detroit's repsect. Haven't your heard gary comment on the wings salary cap? He talks about how if he was running the wings he would do it diferently, who is he to question how the wings do business? If pitt did the same thing he'd kiss lemeiux's ass and say how great it is..........I for one am glad he did it, finally someone stood up for the wings after all the officiating and the bias in that series, who better then the best owner in all of sports..

He does look like a mouthbreathing buffoon out there. When I see him, I just imagine that when he skates by you just hear "duuurrrrrr"

LMAO

Good for Mr. Ilitch. I mean, he's a businessman and his bottom line just got hurt by prob several million bucks. I wouldn't have shook his hand either, tough chit. And I would've if my team won, just to rub it in more than anything.

No chemical free mind thought there was a chance in hell that Malkin was going to be suspended, that rule hasn't been enforced whatsoever.

Buttman is a ******, but say so for the correct reasons. He didn't hand anyone the Cup; the Wings blew it.

so wait; i was high during game 2? I don't rememmber poping any pills? I mean maybe later in the series but i definatly wasn't poping em during game 2. Dude malkin attacked z with his stick, that was such bs, and its not just with the detroit series, walker from carolina should ahve been suspended for sucker punching ward in the face......its all bs, but the fact that the nhl rescinded it 30 minutes after the game...when normally they wait till the next day, that's fishy....malkin is a punk......detroit didn't blow it either, you ever play with a hernia? busted testical? broken wrist? bum knee? ankle? i could go on but i think you get the point, they were walking wounded, it didn't help that the refs swallowed their whistles and pit went for the juggular, Pit played hard but there were alot of hits that should have been called....

so wait; i was high during game 2? I don't rememmber poping any pills? I mean maybe later in the series but i definatly wasn't poping em during game 2. Dude malkin attacked z with his stick, that was such bs, and its not just with the detroit series, walker from carolina should ahve been suspended for sucker punching ward in the face......its all bs, but the fact that the nhl rescinded it 30 minutes after the game...when normally they wait till the next day, that's fishy....malkin is a punk......detroit didn't blow it either, you ever play with a hernia? busted testical? broken wrist? bum knee? ankle? i could go on but i think you get the point, they were walking wounded, it didn't help that the refs swallowed their whistles and pit went for the juggular, Pit played hard but there were alot of hits that should have been called....

I don't really think I need to say anything to try and make you look dumber; you're doing that job for me.

It's spelled "remember," "popping," "definitely," "jugular," and "a lot."

An ellipsis is three periods--generally--BTW.

Nothing in your posts makes sense. Calls were pretty even during the series, and teams all play through the playoffs with injuries. None of those points really tip the scale in the Pens' favor; they simply wanted the win more, or the Wings didn't think they could lose until there was 6:00 left in the 3rd period of game 7.

Edit: Oh, and Illitch is awesome. I wouldn't shake Bettman's hand either, with how he's managed the league.

Edited by Theophany

All smacks of junior high school girl attitudes. If Ilitch really wants to take bettman on, why not do it in a meaningful way and call him out on issues with comments to the press, form committees... and take the fines while getting the issues up front. Instead he does what? Doesn't shake his hand? Oh boy, that will show Bettman. It's a ***** move.

Junior high school girl attitudes is exactly how the NHL is ran though. Well that or like a dysfunctional family at any rate. Bitching to the press doesn't do anything more than air out the dirty laundry that doesn't need to be aired. Plus it also tends to entrench both sides more instead of fixing the problem.

Mr. I isn't alone among the owners. He has allies in the political backwardness that is the Board of Governors and the parade of proxies that are sent. The proxies that are often changing make it difficult to set up committees and get things pushed through for approval. And as I said before, I think their dislike goes back to the '94 strike.

No chemical free mind thought there was a chance in hell that Malkin was going to be suspended, that rule hasn't been enforced whatsoever.

Buttman is a ******, but say so for the correct reasons. He didn't hand anyone the Cup; the Wings blew it.

So...Carcillo didn't get suspended for the same penalty? strange, thought that's exactly what happened. No chemical free mind would openly accept a professional sports league that will not enforce rules against "star" players. That doesn't mean Bettman handed the Pens the cup, but rescinding the penalty was cheesy at best.

The reason Mr Ilitch didn't shake Bettman's hand was because Bettman snubbed them during his Cup presentation speech ... when the commissioner gives his speech it is customary for him to say something about both teams who played in the finals and thier respective owners ... Bettman didn't say anything about the RedWings nor the Ilitch's .. like the Penguins were the only team who played in the Cup finals.

After all the Ilitch's have done to promote the NHL and put up with in the treatment of them I don't blame him for not shaking his hand ... amybe Bettman will finally get a clue from it.

I wish we would have won, so that Nick could have snubbed Buttman. It would have been perfect after the All Star joke.

everyone has a right to their opinion whether you agree with it or not.

They have a right to their opinion (just as you have a right to be annoying and color your posts red), but it doesn't make it right, logical, or intelligent.

People also have the right to try to explain how things really are to people that are too involved in making tinfoil hats to notice the world around them.

Overreact much? Officating is going to be inconsistent in every game, every sport. Referees are going to miss calls. It is natural when human error gets involved. I know this being a sports official myself in the past and blowing plenty of calls as well, albeit at a much lower level of competition. You can whine about the refs and injuries all you want, but thems the breaks sometimes with injuries unfortunately, Detroit still had 2 chances in a row to put the Penguins away and they didn't. Detroit has nobody to blame but themselves, no matter how much you think Bettman has a Crosby/Penguin love fest or how much the referees are out to harm our beloved Red Wings.

everyone has a right to their opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Opinions are often like idiots in many situations unfortuantely. See above as an example.

The reason Mr Ilitch didn't shake Bettman's hand was because Bettman snubbed them during his Cup presentation speech ... when the commissioner gives his speech it is customary for him to say something about both teams who played in the finals and thier respective owners ... Bettman didn't say anything about the RedWings nor the Ilitch's .. like the Penguins were the only team who played in the Cup finals.

After all the Ilitch's have done to promote the NHL and put up with in the treatment of them I don't blame him for not shaking his hand ... amybe Bettman will finally get a clue from it.

I was rather surprised (or not...) by the differences between shaking Bettman last year with a quick run through and confident Bettman this year piling on the praise to Pittsburgh and Crosby.

I keep wanting to think all this Bettman malarky is just that, malarky; drivel from the fans because we're fans. But so many little things continue to add up and on top of that there's more than a few bigger things. You'd think even if Bettman was doing a descent job, solely for PR purposes they'd find someone who can shine a better face to the media. Doesn't it bother any of the NHL officials and owners that Bettman is hated everywhere? Again, even if they're satisfied with the work he's done, as a public figure, one would think they'd want someone who didn't attract all the rampant character attacks.

Again, even Jimmy D said Bettman has accomplished what he was brought in to do, but again, doesn't it bother anyone who actually has clout that the head honcho in charge of selling the game is hated by the masses? There's more to getting the job done than simply "getting the job done" when you're dealing with the masses. You've got to sell what you do, be it good or bad. Gary Bettman at the very least cannot seem to do that effectively.

Put simply, he has little to no tact at all and even less charisma. Even if I was an owner that liked his policies and practices, I would imagine that I would be less than satisfied with his PR skills.

When is the axe going to fall?

Overreact much? Officating is going to be inconsistent in every game, every sport. Referees are going to miss calls. It is natural when human error gets involved. I know this being a sports official myself in the past and blowing plenty of calls as well, albeit at a much lower level of competition. You can whine about the refs and injuries all you want, but thems the breaks sometimes with injuries unfortunately, Detroit still had 2 chances in a row to put the Penguins away and they didn't. Detroit has nobody to blame but themselves, no matter how much you think Bettman has a Crosby/Penguin love fest or how much the referees are out to harm our beloved Red Wings.

Opinions are often like idiots in many situations unfortuantely. See above as an example.

While I agree with this in many ways, I've got to say that at least in terms of the reffing, it doesn't help. I didn't like the Wings efforts in games 6 and 7. They brought those losses on themselves in many ways. However, I'm still not really over Game 3. I could care less about the Malkin carryover, I get that, but generally speaking, the way game 3 was called blew my mind. I get that refs miss calls and no one's perfect, yeah, sure. What happened in Game 3 went a good deal past that if you ask me and just about everybody else in the hockey world. I'm not saying anyone handed anyone anything, but I think you've got to be a little starry-eyed to suggest that there was no agenda at play on some level in the way that game was called. Gill and Orpik got away with murder how many times before Ericson took that late penalty that wouldn't have been called on the Pens or earlier in the game for that matter. Sure, we were banged up throughout and only really dominated one game, but I still feel like game 3 was a turning point in many ways that was brought on by profoundly poor officiating that goes beyond "mistake" and heads straight into "agenda" territory.

Had the Wings pulled out game 3, the series is over in 4 or 5. Injuries wouldn't have been pushed on so hard. Pens wouldn't have had the momentum swing they did. It'd be a different series. I'm not expecting them to see everything or always get it right, but it's amazing what one game called on a slant can do to a series. I think we saw that quite clearly in these finals. It was the Wings to lose after game 5, but like I said, I don't think it needed to go that far. If game 3 were even just a bit more balanced, Wings win in 5 at worst.

I'm trying to be reasonable about the loss, but that still stings a bit. I can't even begin to tell you how hungry it makes me for October...

While I agree with this in many ways, I've got to say that at least in terms of the reffing, it doesn't help. I didn't like the Wings efforts in games 6 and 7. They brought those losses on themselves in many ways. However, I'm still not really over Game 3. I could care less about the Malkin carryover, I get that, but generally speaking, the way game 3 was called blew my mind. I get that refs miss calls and no one's perfect, yeah, sure. What happened in Game 3 went a good deal past that if you ask me and just about everybody else in the hockey world. I'm not saying anyone handed anyone anything, but I think you've got to be a little starry-eyed to suggest that there was no agenda at play on some level in the way that game was called. Gill and Orpik got away with murder how many times before Ericson took that late penalty that wouldn't have been called on the Pens or earlier in the game for that matter. Sure, we were banged up throughout and only really dominated one game, but I still feel like game 3 was a turning point in many ways that was brought on by profoundly poor officiating that goes beyond "mistake" and heads straight into "agenda" territory.

Had the Wings pulled out game 3, the series is over in 4 or 5. Injuries wouldn't have been pushed on so hard. Pens wouldn't have had the momentum swing they did. It'd be a different series. I'm not expecting them to see everything or always get it right, but it's amazing what one game called on a slant can do to a series. I think we saw that quite clearly in these finals. It was the Wings to lose after game 5, but like I said, I don't think it needed to go that far. If game 3 were even just a bit more balanced, Wings win in 5 at worst.

I'm trying to be reasonable about the loss, but that still stings a bit. I can't even begin to tell you how hungry it makes me for October...

honestly i couldnt of said it any better! this is exactly what i think to and feel