• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WMUCarGuy

Kopecky to test the open market

Rate this topic

Per ESPN.com, it looks as if Kopy will test the open market come July 1st. His agent seems to think he can get him a lot more than Kenny offered.

Also looks like Kenny and Hossa's camp are still in talks, but Kenny would trade Hossa's rights if it became apparent a deal won't get done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

Edited by WMUCarGuy

Per ESPN.com, it looks as if Kopy will test the open market come July 1st. His agent seems to think he can get him a lot more than Kenny offered.

Also looks like Kenny and Hossa's camp are still in talks, but Kenny would trade Hossa's rights if it became apparent a deal won't get done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

I know I'm in the minority but I really like Kopecky, think he's a good team player and is a more than handy 4th liner who can occasionally chip in on a scoring line if need be. Although it obviously wouldn't be the end of the world to lose him, it would be really disappointing to see him sign elsewhere.

Any predictions on what Holland offered, maybe 500k-750k? Because it must have been pretty low for him to say, "he's hoping to do a lot better than what we offered."

I know I'm in the minority but I really like Kopecky, think he's a good team player and is a more than handy 4th liner who can occasionally chip in on a scoring line if need be. Although it obviously wouldn't be the end of the world to lose him, it would be really disappointing to see him sign elsewhere.

Any predictions on what Holland offered, maybe 500k-750k? Because it must have been pretty low for him to say, "he's hoping to do a lot better than what we offered."

]

There are a lot of people here who hate him. I agree with you. He is a great team player. He has gotten so much better on defense and has started to throw his weight around more. Mike Babcock knows more about him than any person who posts here. If the coach is big on him it is for a damn good reason. I would hate to see him go, he would be missed on the fourth line.

For when he tried, i'll miss him. For when he was lazy, have fun losing somewhere else.

The main good memory I have of him is when he broke Sharp's nose in that game 2 years ago (scored that night too I think).

Meh, Kopecky was ok, I never hated him like it seems a lot of people did. Still, I have no issues with seeing him go. Maybe we can get someone a little more physical for the fourth line a la Dallas Drake.

For the people saying we don't have an option because of cap space...we still have to sign someone for that roster spot, and I can't imagine Kopecky was asking for a whole pile of money. If he is asking for a lot (i.e. over 900 000ish), then he's clearly crazy. And what's league minimum, 450 000? I doubt you're getting someone too good at that price either.

Maybe this would open up a spot for Downey to play a few games. If they manage to resign him.

And as a somewhat unrelated note, I love the idea in this article that Holland may trade the rights to Hossa.

Edited by Zetts

I see Kopecky as no upgrade over Abdelkader, and Abs has a lot more potential (and can stay on his feet).

Would be nice to have Downey and Abdelkader rotate around.

Edited by egroen

Hossa goes back to Pens... then loses again in SCF. HAHAHA

More and more, it is looking like Hossa won't be around. I just hope they also let Hudler go so thay don't waste any of the $4.5 million they have on Hudler. Re-sign Leino for $900,000 and use the $3.6 million on two UFA's (not our own.)

Good bye to Hossa (if a deal cannot be done.)

Goodbye Kopecky

Goodbye Sammy

Goodbye Hudler

Goodbye Chelios

Goodbye McCarty (Frick! I cannot believe they are still willing to pay this guy! Hell if you are gonna re-sign McCarty then resign Downry as well if he'll play for GRR.)

Question is now, who can we pick up for $3.6 million combined?

I see Kopecky as no upgrade over Abdelkader, and Abs has a lot more potential (and can stay on his feet)

No one but Kopecky and his mother would disagee with your statement and pick Kopecky over Abdelkader to be in our organization. It's just not the point, it's the role and stage of their career they are in. We want Abs to play first line minutes in GR, not rotational 4th line minutes in Detroit. And we have Ericcson, Helm, Howard and probably Leino making the leap as well this year. It just makes sense in every possible way to Keep Abdelkader in GR playing and developing this year since we can still send him down even though Kopecky to your point isn't an "upgrade."

Man, I thought he really loved it here in Detroit. He was the one who convinced Hossa to come to Detroit because it is just the best lockerroom ever!

Now it appears that both are hitting the road out of Detroit. hmm.

Best news all day!

Kopecky is a dime a dozen - a player who excels at....nothing.

I'd rather have a player in the lineup who excels at one thing, be it: 1) Fighting; 2) Veteran Leadership; 3) Experience; 4) Faceoffs; 5) Penalty Killing; 6) Hitting - the kind that actually leave a lasting impact; 7) The ability to stay on your feet when you skate.

I would rather keep Sammy and Hudler, because they really want to be Red Wings. At first I wanted to keep Hossa, but since he is dragging his feet that says to me that being a Red Wing is not that important to him. So he and Kopecky can go to some other team, but they just might miss being in the best organization in the whole NHL.

Mike Babcock knows more about him than any person who posts here. If the coach is big on him it is for a damn good reason. I would hate to see him go, he would be missed on the fourth line.

I would guess Babs really likes his size and the potential upside of someone with that kind of size. He just needs a good mentor.

I don't like seeing anyone leave the Wings. I always hoped for the best for Kopy, especially when he was promoted to the Datsyuk-Hossa line.

For when he tried, i'll miss him. For when he was lazy, have fun losing somewhere else.

The main good memory I have of him is when he broke Sharp's nose in that game 2 years ago (scored that night too I think).

Good post. Very fair.

And as a somewhat unrelated note, I love the idea in this article that Holland may trade the rights to Hossa.

That sounds like a smart move, so obviously KH would think of it. Never a bad day as a Wings fan.

I see Kopecky as no upgrade over Abdelkader, and Abs has a lot more potential (and can stay on his feet).

Would be nice to have Downey and Abdelkader rotate around.

I really like Downey but he's really no upgrade over Kopy. He can fight better, but he's not really a better hockey player.

Re-sign Leino.

Goodbye Sammy

Goodbye Hudler

Definitely need to try and retain Leino, but I'd love to be able to keep the other two.

No one but Kopecky and his mother would disagee with your statement and pick Kopecky over Abdelkader to be in our organization. It's just not the point, it's the role and stage of their career they are in. We want Abs to play first line minutes in GR, not rotational 4th line minutes in Detroit. And we have Ericcson, Helm, Howard and probably Leino making the leap as well this year. It just makes sense in every possible way to Keep Abdelkader in GR playing and developing this year since we can still send him down even though Kopecky to your point isn't an "upgrade."

Good points.

I wouldn't doubt if the NHL only rasied the cap by so little just so the Wings CAN'T re-sig Hossa. It's not out o the question for Bettman ad the boyz to try to handcuff the Wings. Although, this also handcuffs his pretty boy team the Pitts as well.

Anyhow, if Hossa does not resig, then what kind of cap hit wouldit take to get Tanguay and Yelle both together here? I kow Tanguay made over $5 million last year, is he due a raise or is he at the where his salary starts to go down? Yelle only made $750,000 in Boston and is 5 years older than Alex, but if we could get them both for a $4 million cap hit, would they be worth it? They had great chemistry in Colorado together...