• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HudlerFanatic

Don't expect the Wings to make move today

Rate this topic

Don't expect the Red Wings to make a move today

Posted by George James Malik July 01, 2009 17:13PM

At present, the bidding for Chris Neil seems to exceed $2 million (update 5:14 PM: 4 years, $2.2 million offer on the table from New York), with TSN reporting that as many as four teams are in the offing, while Ian Laperriere earned a $1.15 million deal from the Philadelphia Flyers, Mike Knuble got $2.8 million per season from the Washington Capitals, and Michael Rupp of all people earned $850,000 from the Pittsburgh Penguins...

So I'd expect that Red Wings fans can bid farewell to Neil, Chad LaRose, Sammi Pahlsson (who the Blackhawks still want to sign), and probably John Madden.

Despite the sting of losing Marian Hossa, Tomas Kopecky, and Ty Conklin today (as well as the un-signed Chris Chelios, Aaron Downey, and Darren McCarty), I really don't expect the Red Wings to make a move until the free agent market plays itself out over the next 3-5 days--and 25 players have signed as of 5 PM--and as it looks like the Wings want to use their $4 million or so in cap space to re-sign Ville Leino (at a qualifying offer of $875,000), re-sign Jiri Hudler if possible (probably at or around $2 million), and sign a grinding forward, their budget for door #3 is likely $1 million or under.

After the Wings finish up their summer signings, they obviously expect Johan Franzen to step up and post a 40-goal, 70-point season, Henrik Zetterberg to rebound with a 40-goal, 85-point season, Valtteri Filppula to step up and graduate to 60-point territory, and Tomas Holmstrom, Kirk Maltby, and Kris Draper (as MLive.com's own Ansar Khan suggests, those players will remain Red Wings, whether you like it or not) to rebound offensively. Nicklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski, and Niklas Kronwall will have to keep producing in the 50-point range as well.

I'd also like to suggest that Snapshots readers quit taking the high road...You're far too polite regarding Hossa, Kopecky, and Conklin's defections. If you're peeved, let it out now, because Hossa and Conklin's comments about their new teams whenever they do pressers are going to hurt, too.

If there really expecting all these old, tired players to step it up, there nuts. No new blood, no new desire. These guys have gone deep in the playoffs in back to back years, and were very banged up last season. Not liking the sounds of this, but again, still lots of time to go...

That is a lot to expect from these players but the reality is, is thats what they have to do especially after losing a 40 goal player. Franzen has to make up for Hossa, because we essentially chose him over Hossa. Zetterberg didnt have a great regular season last year and he will be the first to admit it, so expecting him to bounce back is reasonable.

Guest micah
and Tomas Holmstrom, Kirk Maltby, and Kris Draper (as MLive.com's own Ansar Khan suggests, those players will remain Red Wings, whether you like it or not) to rebound offensively.

Yeah, good luck with that. Maltby has been as consistant as is possible for the last 4 years at 10-11 points. Draper and Holmstom are trending downward. I could see Homer chipping in a few more this year, especially if they change the way they play him, but don't expect any offence out of Draper or Maltby. If we're counting on them to chip in, we'll lose. Those guys are role players, they're here for other things, scoring is a bonus. If they can't perform those other things good enough to secure a roster spot this year without scoring, they should be watching from their couches.

Thomas Holmstrom should be a 4th liner who's in on the powerplay. Anything else is asking too much of the guy.

If there really expecting all these old, tired players to step it up, there nuts. No new blood, no new desire. These guys have gone deep in the playoffs in back to back years, and were very banged up last season. Not liking the sounds of this, but again, still lots of time to go...

It might be a little bit different for Maltby and Homer. Both will retire after this season, as their contracts are up, and I'm sure they would love to go out on top. Who knows with those guys though.

$2.0 million for hudler is too much cap space.... period. If he has the potential, he is only 25, give him a 10 year front loaded deal that averages out at $1.0million per season. But a cap hit of $2.0m is WAAAAAY too much for this team at the time. I wouldn't mind the 10 year deal for a minimal cap hit tho...

Damn...There goes my suggestions regarding Neil and Pahlsson. 2 million is too much for Neil and he definitely isn't worth that kind of money, for the wings at least. I still think we should make a push for Pahlsson, but as long as he would come under 2 million.

I don't really want to have Sammy or Hudler back unless they sign for roughly the same amount. Sammy will probably take a higher offer, and we should just grab some draft picks for Hudler.

Bottom line is that we can all throw out suggestions but none of us have that inside information that would make or break a deal.

Perhaps this year can be a rebuilding year? *gag*

Lots of teams would love to have a "rebuilding year" with the kind of roster the Wings are going to have.

Draper and Maltby are the only ones I really wish we could get rid off, but otherwise we're in great shape.

No need to make moves just for the sake of making them.

$2.0 million for hudler is too much cap space.... period. If he has the potential, he is only 25, give him a 10 year front loaded deal that averages out at $1.0million per season. But a cap hit of $2.0m is WAAAAAY too much for this team at the time. I wouldn't mind the 10 year deal for a minimal cap hit tho...

You're hilarious. Silly as hell, but hilarious.

Wings are in great shape. They just need to fill a couple small holes, and we're in great shape at bringing the cup back home to Hockeytown.

Holland is a genius. He's playing chess right now.

Wings are in great shape. They just need to fill a couple small holes, and we're in great shape at bringing the cup back home to Hockeytown.

Holland is a genius. He's playing chess right now.

Haha.. Seriously? I mean I would not argue that the Wings are in "deep" trouble, I actually think they will be OK, but if you can look at our roster today, compared to yesterday and say we are in "great" shape - well, something is wrong with you. Holland is doing absolutely no chess playing what so ever - he can't, he has nothing. No assets, no money, nothing...

Holland is probably wondering why he resigned Maltby and Draper another round of multi year contracts their last go around. Other then that today sucks in regards to having a better, or even equal team in regards to skill.

Haha.. Seriously? I mean I would not argue that the Wings are in "deep" trouble, I actually think they will be OK, but if you can look at our roster today, compared to yesterday and say we are in "great" shape - well, something is wrong with you. Holland is doing absolutely no chess playing what so ever - he can't, he has nothing. No assets, no money, nothing...

Holland is probably wondering why he resigned Maltby and Draper another round of multi year contracts their last go around. Other then that today sucks in regards to having a better, or even equal team in regards to skill.

The Wings don't need any of these big name players with their inflated contracts. Kenny is playing it smart by sitting and waiting. The type of players that the Wings need to fill holes are not first day free agent type players. If Hudler comes back, this team isn't very different from the team that won the Cup in '08.

If Z plays with datsyuk for atleast 80% of the year he'll be putting up atleast 85-90 points for sure. I also expect this to be filppulas real breakout year in terms of goal scoring. (24 goals, 40 assists) or some where around there is my guess. Franzen should have no problem hitting the 40 goal mark. And cleary will have a rebound season. Obviousley this is all depending on if the wings can stay healthy.

I don't expect the wings to score less goals than they did last year, people are going to pick up the slack of hossa no doubt, but i think the wings are going to be a two line team again. (Z,Datsyuk,Mule,Filppula,Cleary,Hudler,) ...Again as long as the wings don't get hit with the injury bug again they will probably still be one of the favorites to win the cup.