• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWings91

What about Afinogenov?

Rate this topic

I live out in WNY and I've seen a lot of Sabres games. You heard of "Manny being Manny" in baseball? This guy is Max being Max. He's got killer speed. He has no ability to finish. But his worst attribute is hockey smarts. He just doesn't seem to get it, to play in a team concept. Watching Sabres games, you'll see him fly into the zone with the puck, then peel back and lose the puck. He does give effort for the most part though.

Personally, I think he's the last thing this team needs. Sure, a lot of offense left, but it's not like those goals are gone in some black hole. Guys on this team will step up and play more minutes and make up some of that offense. What the team needs is some more solid, physical, gritty play out of the 3rd and 4th lines.

I wouldn't mind Afinogenov, definitely not my #1 opinion but if we are gonna go for a Euro that can score I think he'd be a good signing. He's fast, exciting to watch, and he actually plays with a bit of an edge at times. If we could get him cheap it could be worth it, potential Russian line mate for Datsyuk.

Wrong.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. If you watch this guy. When he pursues a puck he can be relentless and he can be a feisty guy. His effort admittedly is inconsistent but surround him with fellow Russian Datsyuk and a leader like Lidstrom. I think this guy's a winner. He is the same size as Huds but way more solid with the puck.

Horses***. Check your head.

I would take a chance on him if it came down to it. I think the atmosphere in Detroit could change his attitude. He is a great player when he shows up no doubt and his style would fit in with the Wings.

You're an idiot.

He has great chemistry with Datsyuk.

I'd love to have him here.

Thank God you're not our GM. I'm sure you'd love Bertuzzi back, too.

I've kind of been curious about Afinogenov as well. I think he could help our team out in regards to having a high level of speed and increasing the pressure of our forecheck as well as maintaining pressure in the opposing zone with his stickhandling, allowing us to set up in front of the net. He'd probably come fairly cheap too. I'm all for it.

No. You're not.

At first I was like, "Hell no." But now that I think about it, for $800k or whatever it would probably take to sign him, I'd risk it.

Worst $800,000 you'll ever spend.

As a Sabres fan living near Pittsburgh I didn't get to see Max on a regular basis but in the playoffs: Great speed, OK handle, but no finish whatsoever. So frustrating to watch him fly around shakin and bakin but no goals! lol. Had a great playoff on my NHL09 season though. That said,I would love to see him come to Detroit and blow up.

Thank you for bringing some sense to this ridiculous thread. I can't stand watching this idiot, and Buffalo won't miss him, either. Listen to WGR. He's still a great whipping boy.

he's exactly the type of player i expect we need. But i'm not ken holland and from what holland has said in the media, he's not the type of player on our radar. We're looking at a third line grinder (like a mike grier, but not mike grier, follow?)

If no one signs him he's KHL bait, or possibly a training camp tryout.

No team needs this guy. Are you friggin' kidding me?

Bargain basement and I'd be willing to try it. Babs could whip him into shape and you can bet that Pasha would have a few choice words for him when he starts dragging ass and copping an attitude. Say $750K and I'm in.

Not even a little bit. Babs would destroy this mental midget's psyche. You think Hudler had it rough... and Datsyuk isn't going to mentor this loser like Filppula. Max is set in his ways, and just does not listen.

If the Wings can get Max for a cheap multi year deal, and then he blows up, it would look amazing. If the price is right (1 mil. or less) i say YES!

You sir, are an idiot.

(figured Id save ya the trouble Zion.

Guest lnvincible
He's lazy. He has not had a good season in a long time, and he has a hideous work ethic.

Not a good option.

Which means we can get him really cheap, im sure if hes under Bab he wont be otherwise he wont be playing, i still think he can be an amazing player which he once was. I want Detroit to grab him. I think he would be fueled by our team

I would not mind Babcock taking a low-risk, high-reward stab at someone like this.

i'm sorry folks, but you are not going to get a hard-working, great-attitude, rootin'-tootin'-fightin', defensive extraordinaire who puts up points for the amount of cap space the Wings have.

Holland has been know to sign the "fix-er-uppers", some of them have been flops but others have been real cinderella stories, I think there are a few players we could take a chance on like that.

Wrong.

Horses***. Check your head.

You're an idiot.

Thank God you're not our GM. I'm sure you'd love Bertuzzi back, too.

No. You're not.

Worst $800,000 you'll ever spend.

Thank you for bringing some sense to this ridiculous thread. I can't stand watching this idiot, and Buffalo won't miss him, either. Listen to WGR. He's still a great whipping boy.

No team needs this guy. Are you friggin' kidding me?

Not even a little bit. Babs would destroy this mental midget's psyche. You think Hudler had it rough... and Datsyuk isn't going to mentor this loser like Filppula. Max is set in his ways, and just does not listen.

Couldn't have said it better. Just think about it, Buffalo doesn't want this guy back, why the hell would the Wings want their garbage. With all these threads around here it seems like some people want to turn the Wings into garbage collectors.

Edited by purebooyah

I know the flaming is coming, but think about the kind of person Holland is looking for, pretty much a 4th line grinder, with some "grit" someone begging for a Cup (don't think he has won yet, could be wrong,) someone who will come cheap, $1.2M or less to help shore up the penalty killing and shutdown the oppositon. A veteren with playoff experience and leadership skills who is a great lockeroom guy, think about that guy, then look at the leftover UFA's, I know we've mentioned everyone from Tanguay to Jason Ward from Travis Moen to Stephan Yelle. Unfortunately, and this is not me saying he is "the guy," but unfortuantely the guy that fits that description is Michael Peca. With all the younsters going to be in and out of the lineup this year, I can see Holland signing Peca as an anchor on the 4th line OR possibly 3rd. I know nobody wants to admit it, but that exactly what Holland is looking for. I am still hoping for Moen, but once again, Holland is looking for a 1 year contract, chance to win and then out. I think Moen is probablyh looking for more of a 3-5 year one. We know Holland by now, this is what he does. Would you be upset if the annoucment came, Detroit Signs Peca to a 1yr $1.2M contract?

And where would you put him with Helm or Draper?

(maybe this should be its thread, but I knwo everyone is getting tired of the "What about JOE UFA?" threads, so I figured I would interject Peca's name here. Sorry if it "derails" Afiniganov, but we all know Holland is looking for a 1 (year) and done scenario.)

What I did was trade Meech (who knows which of will be traded Meech/Lebda/Lilja) I chose Meech, the only differnece is more leftover cap space. I also brought Abby up ( I know he is pegged to spend most of the year in GRR, if you son't count him maybe you can add another sub-million dollar player as a UFA, whatever. Also I resigned Ouhalen to a 2 year $500,000 each contract and gave him a spot. Which (to most of your liking,) pushed Maltby to the 13th position.

Cleary - Zetterberg - Datsyuk

Franzen - Filppula - Leino

Abby - Helm - Holmstrom

Ouhlena - Draper - Peca

Maltby

Dunno, but I think this is the type of UFA Holland will sign, nobody really under 30...

Edited by LeftWinger

Holland has been know to sign the "fix-er-uppers", some of them have been flops but others have been real cinderella stories, I think there are a few players we could take a chance on like that.

Agreed. Bring some of these down-on-their-luck players into the Wings system, and they often flourish. Remember Sammy?

we already have a top 6 forward on this team with no finish eventhough he is finnish in filpulla, we dont need another soft player skating around in the red and white especially one that doesnt score.

Agreed. Bring some of these down-on-their-luck players into the Wings system, and they often flourish. Remember Sammy?

Wrong, fool.

we already have a top 6 forward on this team with no finish eventhough he is finnish in filpulla, we dont need another soft player skating around in the red and white especially one that doesnt score.

Good point. Difference is that Filppula is young and has time to improve, and he is most definitely improving.

Yeah, because we all know Filpulla didn't provide anything in the post-season.