• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

1997 Wings/Flyers Flashback

Rate this topic

Thoughts

I was too young to watch those games like I do now, but did the Flyers play defense at all? It seems like the Wings had so much room on those goals.

Also, man I miss Vladdy. I really do. I don't mean to start a fire here but I hope the Wings get someone with a pure mean streak like Vladdy along with the scary, ferocious look on his face to go with him (And I don't mean scary as in ugly. Some women really go for that look). Now there's Kronwall but nothing about him says physical intimidation, God bless him. There's Ericsson, and he's got a pretty good mean streak to him, but he looks like too much of a pretty boy.

Thoughts

I was too young to watch those games like I do now, but did the Flyers play defense at all? It seems like the Wings had so much room on those goals.

Also, man I miss Vladdy. I really do. I don't mean to start a fire here but I hope the Wings get someone with a pure mean streak like Vladdy along with the scary, ferocious look on his face to go with him (And I don't mean scary as in ugly. Some women really go for that look). Now there's Kronwall but nothing about him says physical intimidation, God bless him. There's Ericsson, and he's got a pretty good mean streak to him, but he looks like too much of a pretty boy.

I agree that Nick isn't mean and can't be made to look mean. I'm not even sure JonE could either.

Vladdy could be pretty when he wanted to. He just played mean.

nicknvlady9xh.jpg

Yeah, those days were fun. Vlad, Mac, Kocur... oh, yeah, Stanley too. Good times in '97. Until June 13.

Boy Coffey had a rough series, seemed like he was out for practically every goal in the first 2 games.

Stevie's blast in game 1 looks pretty familiar doesn't it.

I don't think I've ever seen a crowd as loud as the Joe was that series. What happened to the good hockey? *sigh*

Most excited I've heard Bob Cole and Harry Neale too, wish I had been into hockey back then.

I don't think I've ever seen a crowd as loud as the Joe was that series. What happened to the good hockey? *sigh*

Most excited I've heard Bob Cole and Harry Neale too, wish I had been into hockey back then.

we lost our identity and never replaced it

Damn, Murph ended up with a +10 at the end of the series! Vladdy was out there owning face, Kocur even had a beauty. Every time I saw 13 out there Datsyuk kept popping in my head. Did anyone else notice everyone going after Mac, thats a bad choice. ; )

Fond memories. Those times were full of excitement. Philly really dropped the ball too. From turnovers to clear shots to the blue line. We executed so well to take advantage of it. And it's great to see Stevie out there again and healthy. It's been a while.

I've been subsribed to his videos for a while. Recently he put up the 2nd and 3rd rounds from 96 and the Avs and this Flyers series from 97 and just today the first round of 98. He has the entire Stats/Wings series from 98 too. It's great to look back at those old games.

Vladi's hit in game 3 probably would have been called a 5 minute and a game misconduct for interference in today's hockey.

Edit: D-Mac's goal is one of the biggest/best goals in Wings history, if not the biggest/best.

Edited by henrik40

Thoughts

Not questioning your logic but how can you say on one breath that you were too young to really watch these games then in the next say you really miss Vladdy? That's like saying you really miss Jesus Christ or Abraham Lincoln, they sound like great people to me and I wish

I'd have had a chance to meet them, but it's not the same as missing them. :)

Edited by Booster313

Not questioning your logic but how can you say on one breath that you were too young to really watch these games then in the next say you really miss Vladdy? That's like saying you really miss Jesus Christ or Abraham Lincoln, they sound like great people to me and I wish

I'd have had a chance to meet them, but it's not the same as missing them. :)

I watch the game much differently now and I really try to look for the subtleties that make guys like Lidstrom and Zetterberg so great. Back then it was only hits and goals and things that really stood out. That's why I feel like I was too young because I appreciate the game much differently now.

Vladi's hit in game 3 probably would have been called a 5 minute and a game misconduct for interference in today's hockey.

Except for the fact that Hawerchuk actually touched the puck at center ice. It was a perect timed hit by the best defender in the NHL that year! Yet another royal screw job by te NHL not voting Vladdy the Norris that year!

Edit: D-Mac's goal is one of the biggest/best goals in Wings history, if not the biggest/best.

Not Hardly...

Guest Shoreline
Man, ESPN could cover Hockey.

.. just as poorly as FOX/ABC/NBC/OLN/VS.

I watch the game much differently now and I really try to look for the subtleties that make guys like Lidstrom and Zetterberg so great. Back then it was only hits and goals and things that really stood out. That's why I feel like I was too young because I appreciate the game much differently now.

That's a fair explanation, I just found the statement kind of funny! Like an oxymoron.