• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Louisville

Leino looking forard to the season

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/08/re...ino_1.html#more

"It's nice to be here, and to see the guys, and hang out," said Leino, who admitted that the Olympic tournament wasn't occupying his mind just yet. "My goal for the season is to return to Detroit, win a spot on the roster, and play well. I'll think about the Olympics if and when the time comes. I'm really looking forward to the new season."

Leino has been working out under the supervision of former Team Finland head coach Raimo Summanen and former speed skater Janne Hanninen (a three-time Olympian) to improve his skating and add some muscle to his legs.

"It's been great. They really don't let you get off easy," he said, laughing.

Sounds like he's working hard and it's good to hear he's training on his speed since he's not the fastest one out there. I'm excited to see him for a full season.

Funny, Leino is one of the big reasons I'm looking forward to the season.

I think he will make people forget about Hudler.

i agree with both statements 100%, but huds will still be in the back of my mind, i wish him luck

Funny, Leino is one of the big reasons I'm looking forward to the season.

I think he will make people forget about Hudler.

I agree, I think Leino is good for AT LEAST 20 goals, given his play when brought up last season. Hopefully he is given some decent top two lines icetime and a chance to prove himself more. I think he could be a ringer if he improves his skating and work in the corners, and it definitely sounds like he is eager to improve. Can't wait!

2 things to take away from this. He said he's focused on winning a spot, implying he knows that the Wings brass still expects him to give it his all, despite what his chances are of making the team. Also, he's taking the time this off-season to focus on his weaknesses, not just maintain what he already has.

This kid has it. Take a lesson Grigorenko. And Williams, too, if you want to make this as smooth as possible for us Wings fans.

2 things to take away from this. He said he's focused on winning a spot, implying he knows that the Wings brass still expects him to give it his all, despite what his chances are of making the team. Also, he's taking the time this off-season to focus on his weaknesses, not just maintain what he already has.

This kid has it. Take a lesson Grigorenko. And Williams, too, if you want to make this as smooth as possible for us Wings fans.

The exact reason I've liked Leino from the start. He could have gone anywhere last season and gotten a roster spot right off the bat. The guy came here to play with high-end talent, wowwed the hell out of most people in the preseason, still got to spend a season in GR. Didn't *****, worked hard. Got called up for a handful of games and scored regularly. Punched the clock until season's end. Resigned with the Wings for DIRT cheap, spends his summer working on his weaknesses instead of playing with his strengths, and STILL says he's ready to EARN a roster spot.

Guy is a pretty class act. Unlike other flash-in-the-pan stars who want to be guaranteed spots or go home, ala Bruunstrom and Grigorenko.

Things that I personally liked about Leino:

When they say, "the puck follows him around," I actually could see it quite vividly when Leino was on the ice. He has a real taste for scoring and points.

Things that I didn't like:

Just his tendency to dive if he's not getting calls. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great regular season for his standards but a crappy playoffs because he's going to experience a lot of clutching and grabbing and he won't get the calls.

Yes he did. It wasn't that bad, he did *****. But who wouldn't? Especially after the commitment he showed.

To be fair, it really wasn't bitching. It was more "I agreed in good faith to play a season in the AHL and now I want a shot."

I don't think he ever demanded a roster spot, though I could be wrong. I think he always claimed he deserved a chance. And he only said it like...once when someone asked if he would be around. He handled it pretty classy, I think, and it really wasn't a dig at the team or organization, just stating the obvious. He came all the way over here to play. He still felt the need to earn a spot, he just felt he did his part of the bargain.

Yes he did. It wasn't that bad, he did *****. But who wouldn't? Especially after the commitment he showed.

As far as I remember, I think the only time he could have been considered as bitching was when I think a Finnish news story rumored that he may option to return to Finland because he was playing in the AHL. I can't remember any solid quotes of complaint, and even if there existed a few, like you said, who wouldn't complain a little?

Either way, the guy has shown a great amount of commitment to the team, willingness to work and we have him signed another year for pocket change. His play will pay huge dividends, considering Chicago is paying Kopecky more :D

Edited by b.shanafan14

As far as I remember, I think the only time he could have been considered as bitching was when I think a Finnish news story rumored that he may option to return to Finland because he was playing in the AHL. I can't remember any solid quotes of complaint, and even if there existed a few, like you said, who wouldn't complain a little?

Either way, the guy has shown a great amount of commitment to the team, willingness to work and we have him signed another year for pocket change. His play will pay huge dividends, considering Chicago is paying Kopecky more :D

SUCKERS!

I can't wait to see this guys full potential. My prediction is that last years performance was just a taste. He has the mindset for our style of play and it looks like he's working on the physical side of things. Should be a good development story for this coming season. Cant wait!

To be fair, it really wasn't bitching. It was more "I agreed in good faith to play a season in the AHL and now I want a shot."

I don't think he ever demanded a roster spot, though I could be wrong. I think he always claimed he deserved a chance. And he only said it like...once when someone asked if he would be around. He handled it pretty classy, I think, and it really wasn't a dig at the team or organization, just stating the obvious. He came all the way over here to play. He still felt the need to earn a spot, he just felt he did his part of the bargain.

Definitely a better way to put it. Though some users on here still hate him for that.

The exact reason I've liked Leino from the start. He could have gone anywhere last season and gotten a roster spot right off the bat. The guy came here to play with high-end talent, wowwed the hell out of most people in the preseason, still got to spend a season in GR. Didn't *****, worked hard. Got called up for a handful of games and scored regularly. Punched the clock until season's end. Resigned with the Wings for DIRT cheap, spends his summer working on his weaknesses instead of playing with his strengths, and STILL says he's ready to EARN a roster spot.

Guy is a pretty class act. Unlike other flash-in-the-pan stars who want to be guaranteed spots or go home, ala Bruunstrom and Grigorenko.

To be fair about Grigorenko, he was considered the next Russian superstar winger with crazy speed, great hitting game, strength, and a wicked shot (think Ovechkin-esque domination of every league he had played in) and then the guy had an auto accident that shattered his leg and nearly killed him due to complications that arose from it, and the fact that he was even able to play hockey again (let alone only missing one season) was remarkable in itself. He spent years in Russia playing before he came over and was not the player he was expected to be, primarily due to his lack of speed. Due to his leg injury he had gone from a guy with blazing speed to one of the slowest players on the ice; this caused severe issues with the rest of his game. Grigorenko did not make the Wings' roster when he came over, and did not stay in Grand Rapids because there was no 'development' for him to achieve. He was not going to increase his speed and his other talents were already developed to the NHL level. So after playing a couple of unmotivated games in Grand Rapids, he left for Russia as it was unlikely someone with his speed deficiency would be given a spot on an NHL roster.

Had the accident never occurred, Grigorenko might be a 40-goal, 80-point forward in the NHL right now with his speed and shot; he was supposed to be coming over to camp the next season after the accident occurred, and likely would have made the roster.

Leino can work on his deficiencies because he doesn't have any physical setbacks that prevent him from improving any areas of his game. Grigorenko couldn't get faster because his leg had been shattered. Leino can improve his technique and add muscle and get faster. Grigorenko had technique and muscle; he simply couldn't apply the technique properly due to the injured leg. Think of Steve Yzerman early in his career when he was so unbelievably fast. Then he suffered a major knee injury. He returned from it, and was never quite as fast. Later in his career, he suffered a couple more leg injuries that permanently reduced his speed. All of Yzerman's injuries combined were not as severe as what happened to Grigorenko. It's not like he could have just been the same rocket after recovery with some hard work.

Leino impressed me a whole bunch when he came up last season, so needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do on this team over the course of an entire season.

To be fair about Grigorenko, he was considered the next Russian superstar winger with crazy speed, great hitting game, strength, and a wicked shot (think Ovechkin-esque domination of every league he had played in) and then the guy had an auto accident that shattered his leg and nearly killed him due to complications that arose from it, and the fact that he was even able to play hockey again (let alone only missing one season) was remarkable in itself. He spent years in Russia playing before he came over and was not the player he was expected to be, primarily due to his lack of speed. Due to his leg injury he had gone from a guy with blazing speed to one of the slowest players on the ice; this caused severe issues with the rest of his game. Grigorenko did not make the Wings' roster when he came over, and did not stay in Grand Rapids because there was no 'development' for him to achieve. He was not going to increase his speed and his other talents were already developed to the NHL level. So after playing a couple of unmotivated games in Grand Rapids, he left for Russia as it was unlikely someone with his speed deficiency would be given a spot on an NHL roster.

Had the accident never occurred, Grigorenko might be a 40-goal, 80-point forward in the NHL right now with his speed and shot; he was supposed to be coming over to camp the next season after the accident occurred, and likely would have made the roster.

Leino can work on his deficiencies because he doesn't have any physical setbacks that prevent him from improving any areas of his game. Grigorenko couldn't get faster because his leg had been shattered. Leino can improve his technique and add muscle and get faster. Grigorenko had technique and muscle; he simply couldn't apply the technique properly due to the injured leg. Think of Steve Yzerman early in his career when he was so unbelievably fast. Then he suffered a major knee injury. He returned from it, and was never quite as fast. Later in his career, he suffered a couple more leg injuries that permanently reduced his speed. All of Yzerman's injuries combined were not as severe as what happened to Grigorenko. It's not like he could have just been the same rocket after recovery with some hard work.

I still find it difficult to excuse him for not making the team. Regardless of the injury, he showed up to training camp out of shape and in no way capable of playing at a competitive level, NHL, KHL, or AHL. He also expected a spot on the Wings roster without having to put forth the added effort of earning it. Yes, he suffered a tough injury, but if its so bad that he can't even stay in shape then he shouldn't be coming over here expecting a spot in the first place.

I still find it difficult to excuse him for not making the team. Regardless of the injury, he showed up to training camp out of shape and in no way capable of playing at a competitive level, NHL, KHL, or AHL. He also expected a spot on the Wings roster without having to put forth the added effort of earning it. Yes, he suffered a tough injury, but if its so bad that he can't even stay in shape then he shouldn't be coming over here expecting a spot in the first place.

Yeah - it was actually strange. Here you have someone who comes back from a car accident that barely killied him; must have literally worked his ass off to get back on the ice in a year, which was unbelievable; and then shows up for his big chance in the shape of a sloth. Maybe he simply felt like he had done enough?

Regardless - it sucked. Grigorenko was one of the highest rated prospects out there and was an absolute steal for the Red Wings with his development before the accident. He was putting up Malkin points and his game resembled Ovechkin.

Russian prospects should have their drivers lincenses revoked the second they are drafted by the wings.

Edited by egroen

I can speak from first person experience. Trying to get back into the kind of playing shape you were in before is difficult when you suffer a major injury. When I was 14, in my freshman year of high school, I could press over 1000 lbs on the military press. For those unfamiliar, this is a leg exercise where you lay on your back and extend your legs completely, then bring them to your chest. Effectively a reverse squat. This was considered impressive by the gym teacher and the varsity football players I worked out with as I only weighed 107 lbs at the time.

Unfortunately, I experienced a severe leg injury myself; despite being a small guy I played many sports. I was playing football and ended up on the bottom of a pile in a bad position. My right leg (dominant leg) was snapped through the tibia and fibula, as well as cracked through the growth plate. Several ankle bones were also cracked, some in multiple places; enough to use the term 'shattered' when referring to my ankle. It took me several months to even be able to walk again, and this was with severely reduced strength while using an "aircast", which is basically an inflatable ankle support device.

I was unable to play most of the sports I had played at anywhere near my previous level for quite some time. Some I have regained my level at or improved at through training in technique, as my technique was raw in many areas of sport (obviously, I WAS a HS freshman) but my running speed did not match that level until I hit a growth spurt later on and simply had enough muscle in the area to provide that kind of power from that side. I was also very lucky that such a severe injury healed as well as it did; I still sometimes feel uncomfortable in the area when exercising or participating in athletic activity.

I can only imagine what Grigorenko went through, with a much more severe injury and allowing less time to return to highly competetive sport; therefore much less time to heal. I can imagine that he may be able to build muscle in the area and slightly improve his skating speed, but the increase would be minimal. Yes, he probably could have worked harder and been in better shape at camp. But at the same time, it's debatable whether that would have actually placed him on the roster.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Wings sending Hakan and/or Datsyuk to see if he has changed his ways/talk to him about working hard and giving him an invite to camp either this year or next; he's only 26 right now and if he can or has learned the hard work thing, another invite to camp might not be a bad idea because if he can show up and prove he belongs on the roster where he FELT he belonged in the first place. If that can happen, he'd be a heck of a lot better reclamation project than Eaves.

I feel bad for Grigs. He just simply can't do it. He made the effort to come back,but his leg is not allowing him to train properly. He is barely even playing much at all for Ufa in the KHL. His career in hockey may be close to being over.

I love Leino's attitude. I really hope he improves his foot speed and works himself into our Top 6 forwards. The guy earned his spot, spent most of the year in the AHL (when he had the skill to be with the Wings) and is keen on improving his weaknesses. I'm a sucker for nationality pairings (I don't know why) but I really hope that he and Flip can develop some chemistry.

As far as Grigorenko goes, I was just as frustrated as anyone else when he came to camp so out of shape, but for what he went through... I just think it's hard to bash a guy who almost died, just because he didn't pan out the way that people wanted him to. I'm upset that we lost a high quality player, but I'm happy the guy lived through it all. Just think of how much bad luck the Red Wings have had with off-ice incidents.

Fischer and Konstantinov, Grigs and even to a lesser extent McCarty with his addictions. Imagine if Fischer and Vlad went on to continue playing. I still re-live Vlad's hot on Claude and Fisch's hit on one of the Sedin's Both of those were beauties.

Edited by Peleshob

I love Leino's attitude. I really hope he improves his foot speed and works himself into our Top 6 forwards. The guy earned his spot, spent most of the year in the AHL (when he had the skill to be with the Wings) and is keen on improving his weaknesses. I'm a sucker for nationality pairings (I don't know why) but I really hope that he and Flip can develop some chemistry.

As far as Grigorenko goes, I was just as frustrated as anyone else when he came to camp so out of shape, but for what he went through... I just think it's hard to bash a guy who almost died, just because he didn't pan out the way that people wanted him to. I'm upset that we lost a high quality player, but I'm happy the guy lived through it all. Just think of how much bad luck the Red Wings have had with off-ice incidents.

Fischer and Konstantinov, Grigs and even to a lesser extent McCarty with his addictions. Imagine if Fischer and Vlad went on to continue playing. I still re-live Vlad's hot on Claude and Fisch's hit on one of the Sedin's Both of those were beauties.

If Fisch was still around...he'd be one of the ten best defensemen in the league. He was developing into an unbelievably complete defenseman; he was an amazing skater with a ridiculous shot, a good passer and very solid defensively. His offense was improving every day and his defensive positioning was getting to the point where by now he would be one of the five best defensive defensemen in the league, as well as a high scoring d-man.