• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

lakerwings

Pavel Datsyuk Question?

Rate this topic

Alright everyone. Agree, or disagree, and feel free to contribute your opinion on the discussion at hand. But do so in a respectful manner, please.

If you're just going to post an insulting/snarky picture or post, it's going to be removed.

Contribute to the discussion in a constructive manner, or move on.

OK. You are obviously very young, and thats ok, we were all very young once. (Not being direspectful, I'm just saying...)

I sort of liked the Lakers way back when Magic played for them because I played against Magic when I lived in Michigan.

And I think you may mean that the Wings and Lakers are both successful historied franchises that include incredible dynasties. But don't let that commoness lead you to believe that a Wings fan would therefore also be a Lakers fan. Just because Johnny Cash and Mariah Carey are/were both successful certainly doesn't mean that because I like Johnny Cash I would aslo be a fan of Mariah Carey.

But like other's have posted already, I don't like the NBA anymore. You may someday mature enough to understand that, or you may not. Not a big deal.

However, I'm going to give you one chance to redeem yourself by setting you up for a genuine comparison (talent-wise) of Kobe and Pavel:

I would compare Pavel Datsyuk more to Barry Sanders: they are/were both innovators in their respective games. Each has brought never before seen moves to their sports, and were truly amazing. Kobe does things other guys do, just sometimes better. Granted I see a couple minutes of playoff NBA every couple of years, but: What innovations has Kobe Bryant brought to basketball like Pavel Datsyuk has brought to hockey?

Is he actually changing the way guys play like Dats has. Does he actually have new moves that haven't been seen before? Dr. J had new moves. Jordan had new moves. Pete Maravich and Oscar Robertson had new moves. Kobe? I don't think so, but you tell me and please provide youtube links. :ph34r:

Edited by T.Low

Kobe and Datsyuk are pretty much the same person.

Except Kobe is #24 - one higher than the greatest, but Datsyuk isnt #100.

Also Kobe makes like $23 million annually, whereas Dats makes $6.7 million.

Oh ya, and Datsyuk is a hell of a lot more entertaining to watch on a nightly basis.

Can you tell I dont like basketball?

No offense to the OP, but the logic that went into starting this thread is flawed at best, and non-existent at worst. As was stated by another post earlier, most Wings fans if they follow basketball are Pistons fans, because they either live in Detroit or have relocated but still maintain loyalty to their "hometown" team. I will not risk offending you or incurring the wrath of the mods by stating my opinion of Kobe Bryant as a person, but to compare them as players based on those criteria, you could just as easily compare Kobe to Crosby, or Dwayne Wade to Zach Parise, or any combination of the top 10 scorers in the NBA/NHL. You're obviously a Lakers fan, but I don't think very many on this board have that in common with you, so let's stick to discussing the thing we have in common.

No offense to the OP, but the logic that went into starting this thread is flawed at best, and non-existent at worst. As was stated by another post earlier, most Wings fans if they follow basketball are Pistons fans, because they either live in Detroit or have relocated but still maintain loyalty to their "hometown" team. I will not risk offending you or incurring the wrath of the mods by stating my opinion of Kobe Bryant as a person, but to compare them as players based on those criteria, you could just as easily compare Kobe to Crosby, or Dwayne Wade to Zach Parise, or any combination of the top 10 scorers in the NBA/NHL. You're obviously a Lakers fan, but I don't think very many on this board have that in common with you, so let's stick to discussing the thing we have in common.

Agreed.

Saying that Kobe and Datsyuk are similar based on the fact they are both top ten scorers in the league and play for good teams is pretty vague. You could basicalyl say any of the other 9 top 10 scorers are essentially Kobe, based on these criteria.

I would never compare Kobe to Crosby. I would compare Dwayne Wade to Crosby since they're both young and have won a championship. Acutally no I'm not a Lakers fan. In fact, I hate the Lakers but I'm only started this topic because I thought Red Wing fans would like the Lakers as their 2nd favorite team and I thought Datsyuk was talent wise like Kobe.

I hate the NBA (not basketball)... but that being said, if there is any connection to be made... The wings are more like the Spurs (depth, team-first mentality, consistently near the top, whereas the Lakers are not far removed from being a low seed)... and I would say Dats is a lot like a Ginobili... willing to take punishement, is a solid scorer, great defender, classy player, etc...

I would never compare Kobe to Crosby. I would compare Dwayne Wade to Crosby since they're both young and have won a championship. Acutally no I'm not a Lakers fan. In fact, I hate the Lakers but I'm only started this topic because I thought Red Wing fans would like the Lakers as their 2nd favorite team and I thought Datsyuk was talent wise like Kobe.

Yes, I see. Of course thats what i would expect from someone who's screen name is lakerwings; that you would hate the Lakers and like the Wings and post random nonsensical comparisons between the two. :blink:

Guest Crymson
I think most Wings fan love the Lakers as their 2nd favorite team since both teams have a good history with lots of rings and they're both in the Western Conference.

I'd wager a guess that most of those here who are basketball fans are fans of the Pistons, not of the Lakers.

And I'd argue that consistently-stellar play in the regular season is the only significant thing that Kobe and Pavel have in common.

Wade is far, far better-behaved and more mature than is Crosby.

Edited by Crymson

I'd wager a guess that most of those here who are basketball fans are fans of the Pistons, not of the Lakers.

And I'd argue that consistently-stellar play in the regular season is the only significant thing that Kobe and Pavel have in common.

Wade is far, far better-behaved and more mature than is Crosby.

Wait? Somebody on here watches basketball?

I thought Red Wing fans would like the Lakers as their 2nd favorite team and I thought Datsyuk was talent wise like Kobe.

This guy can't be serious. He must be a troll. No one can be this misguided and clueless.

He really thinks fans of a Detroit hockey team would have the L.A. Fakers as their "2nd Favorite Team"?

I am from Detroit and live in L.A. for my work. And I hate the lakers because of their clueless fair-weather fans and their recent history of arrogant players.

Every Detroit sports fan I've ever met hates the lakers.

Pavel has won 4 Most Gentlemanly player awards. I've never heard anyone accuse kobe of being gentlemanly.

chara must be the shaq of the nhl then

theo fleury is the ron artest

lol the only thing pavel does in colorado is play hockey ..... we all know what kobe does :ph34r:

lolololololol...that was awesome

What was that guy's name that used to post on here? Sirdrake or something like that I think. Just a flashback.

As for the the OP's question, in one word: no.

I miss sirdrake.

His debut post is still the greatest post I've ever seen here on LGW. :D

Just out of curiousity, does anyone think that Pavel Datsyuk could be the Kobe Bryant of the NHL since both Kobe and Datsyuk are both 1 of the best players in the league, they both are in the top 10 in points and they both play for a very successful franchise. But the thing is that I'm not sure if Datsyuk is cocky on the ice to his opponents and very vocal like Kobe to his team. Besides, Datsyuk plays for the Wings and Kobe plays for the Lakers which I think a lot of Red Wings fans love. I think most Wings fan love the Lakers as their 2nd favorite team since both teams have a good history with lots of rings and they're both in the Western Conference.

Nope. While Bryant has cleaned up his act off the court lately, Datsyuk I am assuming hasn't been in trouble with the law in an outlandish way or cheated on his wife.

Both are leaders and some of the best in the game in their leagues, but that's where the comparison ends.

And I'm sure most WIngs fans like the Pistons first, at least those living in/around Michigan that also like the NBA.