• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cruiser008

Still not over it...

Rate this topic

I'm still bummed that the Wings were this------->ll<-------close to overcoming some of the most ridiculous s*** I have ever seen (key injuries to key players, no rest between the WCF and SCF, back to back games in the SCF (!?!?), free 6 on 5 for about a minute twenty, etc, etc) and fell just short.

No team has balls like the Wings.

+1

I don't feel the NHL was fair and impartial, but the Wings simply bent over and took it.

The only thing that makes me smile is how freaking awesome Ozzie was. I was an Ozzie doubter, and I said to pull him for the playoffs, and I will gladly eat my words.

its no question that the wings were out of gas, they were beaten to a bloody pulp by the time game 7 was here. but the officiating is to blame. if you honestly don't believe that there was a double standard when it came to late hits and interference (not to mention to many men on the ice) then your a homer penguins fan. the wings are good enough to play through pentaly trouble, but the thing was all the late hits and interference(some of which were the most violent head checks sticks to the face and ribs and limbs) were what torn everyone apart and took the energy out of everyone. i seriously fear for some of our all stars long term future after seeing the abuse the refs allowed. some of them im sure still have sore backs or tweeked wrists from all the bull s***.

Referees play a part in every series, regardless of opponent and matchup, but to blame them for the Red Wings losing is ridiculous. You can play the conspiracy or the refereeing is for the Penguins/against the Red Wings card all you want, but the bottom line is the Wings still had 2 chances in a row to close the series out, and they didn't. And those 2 games had absolutely zilch to do with the Penguins too many men on the ice debacle.

The refs did not lose the series for the Red Wings, the Red Wings did.

Pittsburgh's cup was deserved fair and score (EDIT: meant to say square) no matter how much we may dislike them or no matter how much NHL upper execs might have rooted for them to win.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I don’t buy the conspiracy theories either, there were a lot of interesting things that happened in those 7 games, like the too many men, not suspending malkin, that asinine schedule. But in the end the redwings just could not put an inferior pens team away bottom line. And the biggest reason for this I think, goes back to round 2 and there 7 game series with the ducks. After game 7 Babcock and the players all said that was the most physical, emotional, hardest series they had ever played in there life and the wings never really recovered from that series. They got zero rest between semi final and conference finals and zero rest between Conference final and SCF. That ducks team took a major-MAJOR chuck of life and energy out of the wings and in the end were just unable to finish the deal. Life and sports are full of "what ifs".....but I’m convinced the wings don’t play Anaheim or beat the ducks in 6 games, they win the cup.

Seriously, I was over it before it was even over. The 95" debacle kind of took a few years off of my life, but I think everyone saw how it was going to end last season. Cindy has been lifting the Cup that everyone knows that he does not deserve.

I'm still fairly bitter over it myself, but I don't believe in the refs giving the series away, or even in an NHL/Bettman conspiracy theory. It still hurts like hell, but I'm not letting it run my life or anything. I mean, the league DID gave the Pens game 3...say what you want about officiating, but the late 3rd period interference call on Ericsson was bull, as stated my ESPN, TSN...I remember not seeing anyone or anything agreeing with that. Just think, had that played out on it's own and we win that game, we win the Final at home in five games. I did recently rewatch games 6 and 7 on NHL network and I wonder about thinks, like how the first goal in Game 6 wasn't waved off due to goalie interference, or how the first goal in Game 7 wasn't an icing as Stuart got down the ice to the puck first. Wishing Kronwall's shot in the 3rd would have been 1/2 an inch lower, wondering if Lidstrom would have faked Fleury out and passed to the right for the tie, if Cleary had tied Game 6 on his breakaway, etc...but I mean, we made mistakes too. We blew Game 4 after being up 2-1 halfway through and again, a win there gives us the win at home after Game 5. It's just another thing we have to get over. I'm ready and excited for this year! Go Wings!!!

I don't feel the NHL was fair and impartial, but the Wings simply bent over and took it.

Take off your tin foil, the league wasn't conspiring to keep Detroit from winning. Stuff like this actually does our team a great disservice rather than backing them up. Stop it. It's embarrassing. We lost because Pittsburgh wanted it more, played harder and generally out-skated us. It happens. There's no shame in admitting it happened to us. Don't hide behind this utter bullcrap that Gary Bettman wanted Crosby/Malkin to win so bad, he effed us over since it wouldn't have happened any other way.

I swear to God, it's like some people just can't accept we got outplayed and have to make excuses rather than saying the truth.

Take off your tin foil, the league wasn't conspiring to keep Detroit from winning. Stuff like this actually does our team a great disservice rather than backing them up. Stop it. It's embarrassing. We lost because Pittsburgh wanted it more, played harder and generally out-skated us. It happens. There's no shame in admitting it happened to us. Don't hide behind this utter bullcrap that Gary Bettman wanted Crosby/Malkin to win so bad, he effed us over since it wouldn't have happened any other way.

I swear to God, it's like some people just can't accept we got outplayed and have to make excuses rather than saying the truth.

Well having two days rest with injured guys is never a good thing.

Not saying there was a conspiracy, but the cards certainly weren't in Detroit's favor going in.

Well having two days rest with injured guys is never a good thing.

Not saying there was a conspiracy, but the cards certainly weren't in Detroit's favor going in.

No they weren't but it wasn't intentionally set up that way just to screw us over. Bettman is stupid, douchey and full of crap but to pull something like this off requires a level of intelligence he doesn't have.

I don't blame the league for the Wings losing, but to pretend that there wasn't some shady s*** going on with the schedule and reffing is just plain naive.

Bumping the start of the SCF by a week is highly questionable.

Back to back games in the Finals is highly questionable... especially after the bump.

Malkin not getting suspended is downright ludicrous.

1:20 of too many men with no penalty call is bizarre. (I've never seen that before... have you?)

Furthermore, the Wings weren't outplayed. You don't take a 7 game series to 7 games by being outplayed. The series was even aside from the few strange things I listed above.

No they weren't but it wasn't intentionally set up that way just to screw us over. Bettman is stupid, douchey and full of crap but to pull something like this off requires a level of intelligence he doesn't have.

this. We give Bettman's Mafia too much credit for being that intelligent.

I don't blame the league for the Wings losing, but to pretend that there wasn't some shady s*** going on with the schedule and reffing is just plain naive.

Back to back games in the Finals is highly questionable... especially after the bump.

1:20 of too many men with no penalty call is bizarre. (I've never seen that before... have you?)

Furthermore, the Wings weren't outplayed. You don't take a 7 game series to 7 games by being outplayed. The series was even aside from the few strange things I listed above.

the league did the best they could to keep the darn playoffs from running all the way into july. while the setup wasn't optimum for the wings, taking a week off would have killed all momentum for the series aside from the teams fan bases. the nhl isn't like the nfl where they can spend 2 weeks hyping the super bowl. for the nhl, the week off would have simply meant less people caring. that is bad for the league, so they made the smart decision.

with the back to back games, it may not have been ogreat for the wings, but having more games on the weekend was better for the nhl. had the series been short there might have only been those 2 weekend games for maximum exposure. and if anything, this was made up for at the end of the series when there were 2 days off between each of the last 3 games.

malkin not getting suspended was a bad call, no argument there. but that doesn't mean there is a league conspiracy.

the too many men call was bad refereeing and that happens no matter what. while it was insane they missed it, what can be done? should the league have made them replay the game? i just don't see how a refereeing mistake can be the foundation of a league conspiracy? i am sure bettman took all the officials into the back room and told them that if the penguins put an extra guy on the ice for 80 seconds not to make a call! how did you ever figure it out?!?!?

and IMO, the wings didn't show up the last few games. whether it was fatigue, injuries, whatever, i don't care. fact of the matter is they were a shell of the team that dominated the first 2 games by the end of the series.

the league did the best they could to keep the darn playoffs from running all the way into july. while the setup wasn't optimum for the wings, taking a week off would have killed all momentum for the series aside from the teams fan bases. the nhl isn't like the nfl where they can spend 2 weeks hyping the super bowl. for the nhl, the week off would have simply meant less people caring. that is bad for the league, so they made the smart decision.

And if the Wings had lost one more game in the Chicago series, it would have been delayed a week anyways.

It was stupid of the NHL to require the Wings to play two days after finishing a series. Just stupid. They made their bed and they should have to sleep in it.

with the back to back games, it may not have been ogreat for the wings, but having more games on the weekend was better for the nhl. had the series been short there might have only been those 2 weekend games for maximum exposure. and if anything, this was made up for at the end of the series when there were 2 days off between each of the last 3 games.

Back to back games would have been fine if the teams were given a week off.

malkin not getting suspended was a bad call, no argument there. but that doesn't mean there is a league conspiracy.

They rescinded the suspension for good reason. Malkin is not a fighter, and that entire rule was put in place to dissuade coaches from bringing out their fighters in the last minute to injure other players. That was a good call by the NHL.

the too many men call was bad refereeing and that happens no matter what. while it was insane they missed it, what can be done? should the league have made them replay the game? i just don't see how a refereeing mistake can be the foundation of a league conspiracy? i am sure bettman took all the officials into the back room and told them that if the penguins put an extra guy on the ice for 80 seconds not to make a call! how did you ever figure it out?!?!?

It was just a bad call.

and IMO, the wings didn't show up the last few games. whether it was fatigue, injuries, whatever, i don't care. fact of the matter is they were a shell of the team that dominated the first 2 games by the end of the series.

To be honest the Wings didn't dominate a single finals game. They were on their heels the majority of the series.

I said I don't blame the league. I never did. Things were handled horribly. I don't really think it's a huge stretch that some people think the way they do. God knows the league provides enough ammunition for almost any conspiracy theory.

Still, the bottom line is the Red Wings lost the last two games. No scheduling or Malkin scenario or missed too many men call on Pittsburgh had anything to do with those games.

I will never understand when fans get all paranoid and bitter and find made up things to try to justify a favorite team losing "but but but these things happened and technically we were the better team..." or conspiracy theories or "the whole world is against us!!!!"

The Wings lost. Yes it sucks and I hate it.

The Penguins won. Good for them.

It is as simple as that.

Still, the bottom line is the Red Wings lost the last two games. No scheduling or Malkin scenario or missed too many men call on Pittsburgh had anything to do with those games.

I will never understand when fans get all paranoid and bitter and find made up things to try to justify a favorite team losing "but but but these things happened and technically we were the better team..." or conspiracy theories or "the whole world is against us!!!!"

It is as simple as that.

I agree with you that it's all sour grapes after the fact, but honestly, Babcock got outcoached in game 6 and 7. He should have been playing healthy, hungry, young guys over INJURED old guys. How can the team win with players skating at 70%? That's just bad coaching.

It is as simple as that.

Again... I don't think it was a conspiracy. Do I think that Bettman pitched a tent after the Pens won? Absolutely. Do I think that Bettman was giving the refs instructions via an earpiece during the game? No.

Between the barrage of VS commercials that made it appear as if the Penguins won the Cup from the season before, to all the strange scheduling and the ridiculously inconsistent refereeing. Is it really THAT surprising that some people might think that there was some sort of conspiracy? Bigger conspiracies have been created with much less data.

@ Doc Holiday- I don't think the fact that Malkin isn't a known fighter is good enough reason to give him a free pass for a rule that he knew was in place. He f***ed up and he should have payed. That's HIS problem. I think it was an awful call and only highlights the inconsistency present in the NHL.

I agree with you that it's all sour grapes after the fact, but honestly, Babcock got outcoached in game 6 and 7. He should have been playing healthy, hungry, young guys over INJURED old guys. How can the team win with players skating at 70%? That's just bad coaching.

So it's Babcock's fault now? Hoo boy.

And if the Wings had lost one more game in the Chicago series, it would have been delayed a week anyways.

It was stupid of the NHL to require the Wings to play two days after finishing a series. Just stupid. They made their bed and they should have to sleep in it.

but they didn't lose another game to chicago. so what does it matter? the playoffs are plenty spread out. and as mentioned, later in the series they made up the extra days. the penguins finished 1 day earlier so its not like it was unfair to just one team

Back to back games would have been fine if the teams were given a week off.

either you should be for back to back games or against. these are professional athletes, i think they can handle not having a week off.

They rescinded the suspension for good reason. Malkin is not a fighter, and that entire rule was put in place to dissuade coaches from bringing out their fighters in the last minute to injure other players. That was a good call by the NHL.

whether malkin is a fighter is not at issue. the rule is very black and white. maybe we should let guys come off the bench to be involved with fights as long as they aren't fighters...

It was just a bad call.

exactly what i said. but thanks for continuing to try and argue

To be honest the Wings didn't dominate a single finals game. They were on their heels the majority of the series.

i feel like they carried the flow of play in the first 2 games. sorry you see it a different way.

whether malkin is a fighter is not at issue. the rule is very black and white.

Not at all. It has been rescinded many times when non-fighters got emotional at the end of games. It really shouldn't be considered an automatic suspension at all considering all the undue controversy it causes, but the spirit of the rule is obvious. Malkin did not fit that profile in the slightest.

but they didn't lose another game to chicago. so what does it matter? the playoffs are plenty spread out. and as mentioned, later in the series they made up the extra days. the penguins finished 1 day earlier so its not like it was unfair to just one team

Two days rest is not spread out. And the Penguins finished three days earlier than Detroit did.

The league f***ed up to where if the series lasted longer than five games (which a series normally does) then they would have had a week long break. That is the NHL's f***up and a team should not be punished for it.

either you should be for back to back games or against. these are professional athletes, i think they can handle not having a week off.

With a team riddled with injuries, you have no idea how big of a deal losing those 5-7 days was. After having fully rested players, it is not difficult to have back to backs. However when your best players are injured and tired, playing two games in a row against a healthy and rested opposition is going to take the gas away from you.

whether malkin is a fighter is not at issue. the rule is very black and white. maybe we should let guys come off the bench to be involved with fights as long as they aren't fighters...

Heroes explained it well.

i feel like they carried the flow of play in the first 2 games. sorry you see it a different way.

After they scored a couple goals they were much more focused, but they did not carry the play in the first ten.