• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Bettman open to more Canadian teams...

Rate this topic

So Gary B looks like he's finally come around. I'm not sure if he took too many pain meds and slipped when he said this, but it appears that he's interested in expanding the NHL in Canada. Though he does mention that the economic climate is a factor, it's good to see him open to this.

Here's a quote from the article.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The National Hockey League will expand into new markets before it relocates franchises from current cities, Commissioner Gary Bettman said on Tuesday.

However, expansion of the league's 30 teams is not on the immediate horizon, Bettman told the Reuters Global Media Summit.

"Moving clubs from their current locations is not something we're planning on doing," Bettman said.

"However, I know there is substantial interest in a number of places in Canada and we are interested in that interest, be it from Winnipeg or Quebec City or even southern Ontario.

Full article is here

I agree that Canada should have more teams, but there should absolutely not be any more expansion in the NHL. The talent doesn't need to be watered down any more than it already is. I just don't understand why the league is so reluctant to move a team like Phoenix, that's clearly failing, to Canada.

So Gary B looks like he's finally come around. I'm not sure if he took too many pain meds and slipped when he said this, but it appears that he's interested in expanding the NHL in Canada. Though he does mention that the economic climate is a factor, it's good to see him open to this.

Here's a quote from the article.

Full article is here

I like the way he says "or even Southern Ontario" like it isn't the all around best option there is. I'm sorry, but while Winnipeg or Quebec might be good for a team again, Southern Ontario is by far the best option the league has in order to bring in steady cash.

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Bring back the Victoria Cougars!

He should actually take advantage of how sports-starved Seattle is during the winter and bring back the Seattle Metropolitans, honestly.

The Seattle Sounders were literally the most successful first-year sports team in the history of modern sports; I see no reason that bringing hockey back in a big way wouldn't be equally as successful.

The last thing this league needs is more teams. There are a handful of teams that would benefit in the long run from relocation, however that is a long an expensive gamble, and while I can think of a couple of teams who SHOULD be moved to Canada, it wont happen.

Adding more teams would require a complete shakeup of the divisions/conferences, which I don't see as being beneficial to hockey.

I reaaaally hope this doesn't happen. The league has a myriad of problems at the moment, I don't see how more teams would help this.

I think the NHL missed a pretty great opportunity this past off-season to move a team to Canada.

I was actually thinking the other day that expansion in the NHL might allow for greater competition against the KHL, because there would be more teams to retain talent here, instead of 2nd liners going across the ocean to become stars. Granted, it would water the league down even more.

Isn't there more money for the League through expansion instead of relocation? Futher expansion in numbers is not needed.

Definately and this is the number 1 reason they would want to add teams in Canada through expansion rather than relocation. An expansion fee would be astronomical and the league doesn't want to miss out on that.

The #2 reason would be that moving a team like Phoenix, or Florida, or wherever else would be like admitting failure in going there in the first place. I admit, if I lived in a city that had my team taken away, I'd be pissed, so I can understand some that would love Bettman fighting so hard to keep a team where it is, but there comes a point where you have to face facts.

Bring back the Victoria Cougars!

He should actually take advantage of how sports-starved Seattle is during the winter and bring back the Seattle Metropolitans, honestly.

The Seattle Sounders were literally the most successful first-year sports team in the history of modern sports; I see no reason that bringing hockey back in a big way wouldn't be equally as successful.

YES!!!

Seattle, WA or Portland, OR!!!

Oregon only has 1 pro team, the Trail Blazers. Even though it's basketball and during the same time of year, when the Blazers are losing nobody goes to their games. We have a WHL team, the WinterHawks, and they already have a pretty good following.

"Moving clubs from their current locations is not something we're planning on doing," Bettman said.

It's not something their planning on doing, but it's something their going to have to do.

They're going to have to get rid of the Salary Cap Floor as well, especially if they're going to add more Canadian markets, raising revenues. The Floor is what's bankrupting teams. Most teams were better off before the lockout.

I second, third, fourth, etc. all the other replies here saying that the league needs to get smaller and not bigger. The NHL can't continue with how they're currently running things, or even think of adding more teams to this mess.

Isn't there more money for the League through expansion instead of relocation? Futher expansion in numbers is not needed.

Yup, that's the main reason why Bettman didn't want a team relocated to Hamilton, because they can get about $400,000,000 in expansion fees.

Edited by Barrie

YES!!!

Seattle, WA or Portland, OR!!!

Oregon only has 1 pro team, the Trail Blazers. Even though it's basketball and during the same time of year, when the Blazers are losing nobody goes to their games. We have a WHL team, the WinterHawks, and they already have a pretty good following.

Agreed.

I think the bankrupt teams should relocate to Seattle, Portland, Houston, West-Toronto or Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec. Salt Lake City maybe a market they should look into as well.

Guest micah
I wonder how many Canadian cities Bettman could name off the top of his head?

I say he could probably name around 6 cities.

What do you guys think?

Are there more than that?

lidstromboli stop with the ignorant jokes, honestly one of the worst attempts at deadpan humour ever. do not criticise canada especially if u r a hockey fan, hockey fans owe their life to canada.

ne way i think its a great idea, manitoba and saskatchewan both need teams. my friend from sweden lives in a town with only like 100,000 people and they have a team in the elitserien so as long as the fans go its not a problem, i mean so many players from that part of canada are in the nhl so they deserve a team.

okay here r the cities who do not deserve a team at all

atlanta

phoenix

anaheim (everyone in la likes the kings)

one team in florida (market has no desire for a bigger team

places that deserve it

north dakota (market is really empty so it could be a good idea for hockey)

winnipeg for god sake

hamilton

northwest territory