• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

"We don't have a natural goal scorer"

Rate this topic

As Babcock had just stated on the Wings/St. Louis post-game show the Wings do not have a natural goal scorer. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are good but they are not natural goal scorers.

Just about every team in the NHL has a natural goal scorer. Except for getting Hossa, Detroit's strategy was to depend on their depth. Well, now that the depth is gone how do they expect to win? The salary cap has slowly eliminated Detroit's depth and distribution of scoring concept.

But again, it is difficult to get a natural goal scorer if you are always picking so far down in the draft.

Maybe the Wings should just finish last for a change and they finally could get a natural goal scorer????

With not even half of the season done and just sitting outside of a playoff spot where it won't take all that much to get in, explain to me how this is a good idea. I mean really?

They had 42 shots last game, two posts and a goal that was disallowed. I was at the game, I didn't hear a whistle. Neither did the (insert number here) other fans chanting bulls***.

It's true they don't have a natural goal scorer (hello Ilya) but the offense isn't as stagnant as people believe. It's more or less the fact that their powerplay has been downright pitiful lately. They try to force it down low when nothing is there. It's proven to work before; Ralfalski and Lids switch off, Ralf feeds him, Homer screens, puck goes in the net. Why they don't try it more often then trying to force a cross crease pass down low, who knows. Even on the 5-3 they are trying to force it low. Set up Lids or another forward in the high slot and feed him a one-timer.

They had 42 shots last game, two posts and a goal that was disallowed. I was at the game, I didn't hear a whistle. Neither did the (insert number here) other fans chanting bulls***.

It's true they don't have a natural goal scorer (hello Ilya) but the offense isn't as stagnant as people believe. It's more or less the fact that their powerplay has been downright pitiful lately. They try to force it down low when nothing is there. It's proven to work before; Ralfalski and Lids switch off, Ralf feeds him, Homer screens, puck goes in the net. Why they don't try it more often then trying to force a cross crease pass down low, who knows. Even on the 5-3 they are trying to force it low. Set up Lids or another forward in the high slot and feed him a one-timer.

not to change the subject. but that was a good no goal call last night. puck was covered and he was putting the whistle in his mouth. no goal.

I haven't looked at the game to game numbers, but it seems like scoring and winning has really taken a nose-dive since Kronwall went out. Considering that he's 5th on our team in points, 1st in defensive points and the fact that much of our offense starts with our defensemen, I think there might be some merit to the issue.

Just breaking it down off the top of my head, neither of our goalies and the defense has looked really bad. We're not letting in a lot of goals. We've had Franzen, Flip and Williams go down and we still got things going and found a way to win games. But it really seems like we've struggled to score and win more than ever since Kronwall went down in the last couple weeks. It's interesting...

This is the quote.

“Our team works pretty hard, we’re pretty competitive. It’s very obvious we’re not blessed with a whole bunch of natural scorers and maybe we tighten up a little around the net."

What team does have a bunch of natural goal scorers?

The Sharks probably have the most natural goal scorers, with the Blackhawks behind them.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Leino-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

May-Miller-Maltby

This is our offence

I mean come on guys look at the lines, okay, now look at them again and let it soak in. I know players/coaches are just itching to say "they can't win because they don't have the talent, because of injuries" but they can't because that'd be unprofessional ect. Now with Leino subbing in for clears it's gonna be even worse now, but we weren't doing well before cleary got injured so....

This is what we have in my opinion:

1 GREAT line (that is underachieving thus far).

2nd line is headed by a hard-checking 3rd or 4th line center who is probably going to average less than 20 goals a year for his career. Can we really expect anything from him that matches 20 goals yearly? That's approximately 20 some percent of the time he'll score.... that's a pretty lofty expectation. Flanked by a "rookie" who has some promise, but doesn't seem to continue to work hard; regardless he wont be a heavy contributer THIS year. Bert... well I'll leave that up to you to decide.

3rd line: Really fast, forechecking machine. I love 'em but come on guys... MAYBE one out of the three will get 20 goals, and you have to admit, that is wishful thinking at this point.

4th line: None will bust 20 goals. May wont break 5. Miller is in the wrong environment to work on his game. He's not winning, the team isn't winning, and he is not learning the red wing mentality of believing you can win every game. That's what motivated Cleary back in the day, the winning mentality/professional mentality. Miller is only learning the professional side this year. Winning seems to be pretty sparce. "winning is contageous" Mike Babcock said that, and miller unfortunately isn't being exposed to it and his potential will not be realized as long as the whole team continues slumping. Maltby... he's trusty, knows how to compete, hard working, but with the rest of the team being so awful at contributing points it's hard to appreciate maltby's hard working game these days.

For the most part our team can't score for s***. And i'm not talking about the last couple of games, i'm talking overall. Look at what pace our top players are on pace to finnish up the season with: we got 2 approx 30 goal scorers 2 20 goal scorers and the stats fall south from there. Why do you think management has been stressing defence so much this year? Cuz they know we can't score. Problem is, save for last night and a few other games this year, our defence is terrible too.

Our only hope is an awe-inspiring push at the end of the season when we get our injured players back. I think reality has set in on me... we're at 30 games this season and I really haven't seen anything to be truly happy with. I love my team, but I'm not blind. I think they're headed way down the standings this year.... and it pains me to say this (for the first time in a long long time) but i'd be happy if we simply made the playoffs.

Sincerely,

One darn anxious/fearfull red wing fan

Edited by Chonmon

I haven't looked at the game to game numbers, but it seems like scoring and winning has really taken a nose-dive since Kronwall went out. Considering that he's 5th on our team in points, 1st in defensive points and the fact that much of our offense starts with our defensemen, I think there might be some merit to the issue.

Just breaking it down off the top of my head, neither of our goalies and the defense has looked really bad. We're not letting in a lot of goals. We've had Franzen, Flip and Williams go down and we still got things going and found a way to win games. But it really seems like we've struggled to score and win more than ever since Kronwall went down in the last couple weeks. It's interesting...

Kronwall really is actually overrated by other teams' fans and underrated by Red Wing fans (same as Rafalski). Red Wings fans are under the illusion 50+ pt defensemen fall off trees, and other teams' fans assume his highlight reel hits = awesome defense.

When Lidstrom's line is not on the ice, Kronwall is running things... he really has become a great player (who is TERRIBLE with giveaways at times).

Anyways, yes - I think they miss his passes, moving the puck up the ice and he was the main cog on the 2nd PP.

^ I believe that's what we had last game, except switch Cleary in for Leino.

Ya I know, I was just saying when you look at the lines on paper, or watch lines play the result is the same. mediocre/bad. our team is hurt, and doesn't have the depth to cover themselves. Remember when Eaves was signed and sent to GR? Now he's on our 3rd line. Abby is OUR 2ND LINE CENTER... haha i mean come on. Well over half our ranks are not producers... so it's obvious why we can't score.