• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Osgood v Babcock round 2

Rate this topic

Looks like Ozzie is at it again through the media

Osgood will be in net tonight against Alex Ovechkin and the high-powered Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center. The Capitals are the highest-scoring team in the NHL.

“That’s quite a coincidence. Or maybe not. We’ll see how it works out.

At the start of the year Howie didn’t play for about a month and then I didn’t play for a month. To me that’s not a good way of doing things, to let one guy get stagnant"

Ouch.

I was thinking it was interesting how Ozzie hasn't been heard of in the press since he said he knew more than Babcock about goaltending. He finally gets a start after a month in solitary, and he can't resist letting the press know how he really feels....

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20..._in_net_fo.html

Edited by Nev

Honestly, he's kind of sounding like a spoiled *****. He doesn't sound very confident either. Who cares who you're going up against? Just try to play a sound game and do the best you can.

Maybe Babcock is trying to protect Howard a little here, but Osgood should realize that. Howard is a goaltender of the future and needs to be protected at times... this is what a back-up is for, and for all intents and purposes that's what Osgood has been this season.

I completely agree with what Ozzy is saying, but he shouldn't be saying it to the press.

They don't need to be 50-50 on games, but even as good as Jimmy's playing, they should be throwing Ozzy in enough to keep him in some sort of rhythm, even as a backup.

And having him not play for this long and then playing the Caps? HIs last start was what, a month ago? To me that's either protecting Jimmy or throwing Ozzy to the wolves, or both.

I hope he manages to flip that switch he only seems to find come playoff time. Because our playoffs are essentially starting much earlier this year, or there will be no postseason for the Wings.

Ozzie hasn't had a chance to earn his job so far... early on he wasn't exactly stellar, just alright... let's hope the wings can stop Ovechkin, should be an awesome game if wings show up...

I'm not sure what Ozzie is thinking.. maybe he's just frustrated because he expecte dto be #1 this year and have Howard backing him up.. But I definitely don't think there is any problem with playing your #1 goalie every game you can.. Look at teams like NJ and Vancouver.. I know Howard isnt Brodeur or Luongo but if you have a #1 goalie you play him all you can.. How many games has Dannis started in NJ? Like 2 or 3?.. Thats what being a back up goalie is.. If you don't wanna be the backup goalie then shut your mouth and play like you wanna be #1 when you do get your chance, that's all there is to it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I love what Ozzie has done for the Wings, but he needs to shut his stupid mouth and play a solid game when he is given he opportunity. If Ozzie keeps running his mouth, he will go another month without a start.

This is a chance for Ozzie to put up or shut up. Jimmy's play has been nothing short of spectacular and Ozzie has been a firsthand witness. This is his chance too make a statement and show that he's ready to start playing up to the level that we know he can. If we were in a playoff spot with a 10 or 20 point cushion I could understand bitching about not getting starts, but every point is crucial right now and inconsistent goaltending isn't going to help an injury ravaged team steal the important points.

Shut 'em down Oz! We're all rooting for you

Edited by Yellowknife Redwing

I'm not sure what Ozzie is thinking.. maybe he's just frustrated because he expecte dto be #1 this year and have Howard backing him up.. But I definitely don't think there is any problem with playing your #1 goalie every game you can.. Look at teams like NJ and Vancouver.. I know Howard isnt Brodeur or Luongo but if you have a #1 goalie you play him all you can.. How many games has Dannis started in NJ? Like 2 or 3?.. Thats what being a back up goalie is.. If you don't wanna be the backup goalie then shut your mouth and play like you wanna be #1 when you do get your chance, that's all there is to it.

Like you pointed out, there is a HUGE difference between Luongo, Brodeur, and Jimmy Howard.

I don't think Ozzy has earned anything like splitting time with Howard, but even as the backup for a rookie goaltender, I think he should be worked into the mix a little more.

I don't think Ozzie is upset that he's the backup. None of his comments seem to indicate he believes that he should be a starter. His complaints all revolve aroudn how long between starts. He, like everyone else, feels that Babcock is playing Howard TOO much, and that it allows one of the goalies to get stagnant.

Ozzie is still a team player, he's not upset with Howard from the sounds of it, or jealous. He probably feels he can't keep sharp without the starts and is concerned about his own chances when he does start. He knows he deserves to be the backup but he also feels he should play more than once a month, which I can understand.

He just shouldn't go to the media with it.

Like you pointed out, there is a HUGE difference between Luongo, Brodeur, and Jimmy Howard.

I don't think Ozzy has earned anything like splitting time with Howard, but even as the backup for a rookie goaltender, I think he should be worked into the mix a little more.

I could agree with you more easily if the Wings were comfortably in a playoff spot.. But Jimmy's been hot and every point is so valuable I can see why Babcock would be weary about putting an inconsistent Ozzy back into the mix.. Especially when playing against teams ahead of Wings in the standings. Babcock took the safe bet and saved him for a game like this against a top Eastern team. If Ozzie gets routed we go back to Howard the rest of the way.. no harm done, if Ozzie shines then he has some tough choices to make in the upcoming games.

Ozzie needs to be quiet and stop pucks.

This is exactly right. I don't care if he hasn't been given the chance. Shut up and play your role when you are called upon. It's as if he thinks Babs is using Jimmy to punish him or something. I love Ozzie but "You're f***in' out, Jimmy's f***in' in."

He did beat them earlier this year. We will see.

Guest mindfly

It's really simple for osgood though when you think about it.. He just needs to turn it "ON" and have a "playoff-osood-performance" and he will without doubt get more starts.. it's in HIS hands, HE can determine if he will get more starts or not

SHUT UP OSGOOD AND PLAY LIGHTS OUT, is that too much to ask for?

Osgood better be a wall tonight if he's gonna run his mouth.

That's the thing, he's running his mouth to make excuses for a game he hasn't even played yet. "We'll see how it works out." What the hell is that?

I could agree with you more easily if the Wings were comfortably in a playoff spot.. But Jimmy's been hot and every point is so valuable I can see why Babcock would be weary about putting an inconsistent Ozzy back into the mix.. Especially when playing against teams ahead of Wings in the standings. Babcock took the safe bet and saved him for a game like this against a top Eastern team. If Ozzie gets routed we go back to Howard the rest of the way.. no harm done, if Ozzie shines then he has some tough choices to make in the upcoming games.

This is the reason why no matter how good Ozzie plays tonight he's still out. He may get a few more chances from a good performance tonight but nothing more I wouldn't think.

This is the reason why no matter how good Ozzie plays tonight he's still out. He may get a few more chances from a good performance tonight but nothing more I wouldn't think.

I agree with you there. Ozzie is still Ozzie. Even if he plays lights out tonight and stops 50 shots (Lets all hope they dont get 50 shots).. With the offensive struggles this team has had all year I don't know how we can even risk playing Ozzie in that many games.. Its no secret Ozzie is notorious for bad goals and soft goals.. And well known for getting rattled and giving up back to back goals.. With the way this team has played offensively.. you give up those back to back soft goals.. and its pretty much game over.

After tonight, I hope Babcock sits him for another month. This isn't Ozzy's usual attitude and he definitely hasn't shown anything this season to warrant getting the start over Howard. I would be mad too, but keep it to yourself. You aren't some celebrity that gets to run his mouth to the press all the time.

I agree with Ozzie. I find it somewhat strange Babcock decided tonight to go with Ozzie against the highest scoring team in the league as well. I don't like the way Babcock has handled the goaltender situation either. I hope Ozzie gets his chance now to string some starts together at least. It would be a pretty low move for Babcock to start Ozzie against the Capitals and go right back to Howard for another stretch.

Ozzie needs some starts. People here are bitching about him and he hasn't even played in a month. How can he prove anything to the people always on his case when he is tracking face-offs on the bench for the past month? Jimmy Howard has been terrific for the Red Wings, but I still believe our playoff goalie (yes I know, they have to get there first) is Chris Osgood when the time comes.

Go Ozzie! Prove the doubters wrong for the millionth time in your career.