NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 21

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $56,636,543

BONUSES $0

CAP SPACE $163,457

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Either that or Holland wants him on LTIR until the playoffs...

Why would Holland want Lilja seeing his first minutes of ice time in over a year during the playoffs? That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Even had he been cleared to come back it wouldn't solve anything. He hasn't played in a year or so. It would cost us points trying to get him back into the game. Lebda, despite people's over the top hatred for him, is a better option at the moment than Lilja who's been out for a year.

Why would Holland want Lilja seeing his first minutes of ice time in over a year during the playoffs? That is a disaster waiting to happen.

If Lilja's practicing every day and feeling good, it wouldn't be a disaster, though perhaps he wants to wait until the trade deadline only to keep all options open. but he's a 3rd pairing defensemen and more of a stay at home guy. It wouldn't kill us to start him in the playoffs after being out for the season when on the other hand you risk having to give depth guys away that maybe you don't want to, especially after all of our injury troubles this year. Could he really be so much worse than Meech or Lebda? The worst thing that could happen is he blows it and we go back to Meech or Lebda. Remember, they could probably give him a conditioning stint in GR too, though I'm not sure if that counts against the cap or not at that point.

Basically, I'm just saying that while I'm not wholly convinced that his return is imminent, I also am not convinced that Holland wouldn't want to keep it quiet or be as "cautious" as possible for as long as possible due to cap issues and the trade deadline.

Either that or Holland wants him on LTIR until the playoffs...

Actually, come to think of it I think it's something along those lines.

Right now the Wings are set to make some tough decisions on this roster with so many guys about to come back in the next 2 weeks. Aside from Lilja this team will be healthy in about 2 weeks, right? So throwing Lilja into that mix just forces Holland's hand that much earlier.

To me it makes more sense for Holland to wait until he has Kronwall's return date nailed down and knows he's healthy and back up to speed before he plays his hand with Lilja's status. Keep Lilja on the LTIR for as long as possible then send him to GR for a 2 week conditioning stint (I believe that's the max length).

Basically, Holland will want to maximize his time to play around with the cap and roster decisions before he has to set things in stone and start trading/waiving. At this point it's a given that once all of the injured players are off LTIR Holland will have to trade or waive at least one player.

EDIT:

Also note that Lilja needed just 7 days without headaches to start contact practice and check if the start to come back. So that means we really wouldn't hear much about it until he's had at least that 7 day headache free period. The longest I heard of him going was 3-4 days and that was way back when he saw that chiropractor in Vancouver.

It makes sense that Mickey might be talking to the guys and get more candid responses than what you'd get from the 'company line'. I just can't imagine Mickey pulling that 'back in 1 week' line out of his ass.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Even had he been cleared to come back it wouldn't solve anything. He hasn't played in a year or so. It would cost us points trying to get him back into the game. Lebda, despite people's over the top hatred for him, is a better option at the moment than Lilja who's been out for a year.

This idea is incredibly exaggerated, generally not true, and it's really getting old. Just another cliche with no merit on the message board these days...

"It would cost us points..." "It would cost us points..." "It would cost us points..."

Lots of things cost us points!!!!!!! I guarantee you that there's no statistical substance to suggest that this theory is really true, especially when we're talking about a 3rd pairing defenseman!

Guest Howard He Do It?!
If Lilja's practicing every day and feeling good, it wouldn't be a disaster, though perhaps he wants to wait until the trade deadline only to keep all options open. but he's a 3rd pairing defensemen and more of a stay at home guy. It wouldn't kill us to start him in the playoffs after being out for the season when on the other hand you risk having to give depth guys away that maybe you don't want to, especially after all of our injury troubles this year. Could he really be so much worse than Meech or Lebda? The worst thing that could happen is he blows it and we go back to Meech or Lebda. Remember, they could probably give him a conditioning stint in GR too, though I'm not sure if that counts against the cap or not at that point.

Basically, I'm just saying that while I'm not wholly convinced that his return is imminent, I also am not convinced that Holland wouldn't want to keep it quiet or be as "cautious" as possible for as long as possible due to cap issues and the trade deadline.

It doesn't matter what kind of game you play and how much practice you have, game conditions are way faster and take time to re-acclimate to. Lilja has been out of the game for a long time and cannot be thrown out there during the playoffs.

Actually, come to think of it I think it's something along those lines.

Right now the Wings are set to make some tough decisions on this roster with so many guys about to come back in the next 2 weeks. Aside from Lilja this team will be healthy in about 2 weeks, right? So throwing Lilja into that mix just forces Holland's hand that much earlier.

To me it makes more sense for Holland to wait until he has Kronwall's return date nailed down and knows he's healthy and back up to speed before he plays his hand with Lilja's status. Keep Lilja on the LTIR for as long as possible then send him to GR for a 2 week conditioning stint (I believe that's the max length).

Basically, Holland will want to maximize his time to play around with the cap and roster decisions before he has to set things in stone and start trading/waiving. At this point it's a given that once all of the injured players are off LTIR Holland will have to trade or waive at least one player.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...and_says_2.html

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Saturday night that he has no knowledge of defenseman Andreas Lilja returning next week from a concussion that has idled him since Feb. 28 of last year.

Red Wings TV analyst Mickey Redmond said during Saturday's telecast on Fox Sports Net that Lilja could return next week. This was news to Holland, who last spoke to Lilja on Tuesday and was told nothing had changed. Lilja also said Thursday in Minnesota that he was not close to returning.

"Nothing has changed,'' Holland said. "I'm not aware of that (Redmond's comment). He (Lilja) has good days and bad days. Nobody has said anything to me that he's getting close.''

Lilja has been practicing with the team for months but continues to experience headaches. He must be symptom-free for an extended period of time before being cleared to play, Holland said