35 replies to this topic

#1 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

Pretty much what I figured would happen. The kid just about killed someone and he's going to miss the rest of his junior hockey season and playoffs. After that, he'll probably jump to the NHL or AHL, as the GM of his NHL club (New Jersey Devils) already said he didn't see anything wrong with the hit. Meanwhile, who knows if Tam will ever get to play hockey again.

#2 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

cormier's hit was terrible compared to kassian and that other kids hit that got suspended for the year...so like you Yzerman191, i pretty much knew that was gonna happen. it's sad to see a really good player like him throwing away the rest of his junior career.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#3 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

So much for Lou's word being gospel.

Glad to see that justice was actually meted out here.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#4 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Yzerman191 @ January 25, 2010 - 01:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After that, he'll probably jump to the NHL or AHL, as the GM of his NHL club (New Jersey Devils) already said he didn't see anything wrong with the hit.

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion no," Lamoriello said when asked if he felt [a suspension] was possible."

definitely equates to "there was nothing wrong with the hit"

Posted Image

#5 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Lou looks evil anyways. Perfect GM for the Devils.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#6 WingsfaninGermany

WingsfaninGermany

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown0001 @ January 25, 2010 - 02:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lou looks evil anyways. Perfect GM for the Devils.

thumbup.gif

Glad to see the right thing was done here. That was an awful hit.

#7 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

No room for Lou hate, without that guy the Devils would still suck.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Lidstromboli @ January 25, 2010 - 02:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion no," Lamoriello said when asked if he felt [a suspension] was possible."

definitely equates to "there was nothing wrong with the hit"

It basically does. Considering the viciousness of the hit, that Courmier is a repeat offender (and these aren't debatable cheapshots either, they are blatant), and don't forget that there is a sport-wide emphasis on removing hits to the head.... Lamoriello basically gave it a pass when he should have condemned it heavily. Classless... but expected.

And that little punk Courmier will probably be in another league in a few days anyways...

#9 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Unacceptable hit and unacceptable comments by Devils' GM.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#10 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (cjm502 @ January 25, 2010 - 03:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No room for Lou hate, without that guy the Devils would still suck.

And that justifies his response how? GMs of good teams are exempt from speaking out against the violence that continues to make this sport look pedestrian and archaic? Okay.

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

From TSN :
He added on Monday that Cormier would not allowed to play in any leagues under Hockey Canada's jurisdiction, but that he had five days to appeal the suspension if he wished to do so.

Cormier is not allowed to play for the Devils or their AHL affiliate until his QMJHL team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said the organization would respect the QMJHL's ruling.

Lamoriello said the Devils organization does not condone Cormier's actions but also defended the player they picked 54th overall back in 2008.

"This unfortunate incident does not reflect the character of the Patrice Cormier we know," added Lamoriello. "We trust that Patrice will have learned a valuable lesson that will serve him well when he returns to hockey as a valued player in our organization."

Didn't Lamoriello watch the U20 WJHC?

After what he did in the preliminary games, Hockey Canada should have sat Cormier down and had a little chat with him regarding his play; that may have prevented this from happening. Maybe he was taking his silver-medal frustrations out in a Q-game, not unlike Phaneuf after he wasn't chosen for Team Canada.
With a little more work, Cormier could become "the next Steve Downie".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#13 beepbeep

beepbeep

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

Lou is an *******!

#14 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

He got off pretty easy I say. Considering he is a repeat I thought that he would get atleast one year off. I have often thought that some of these suspensions should include some community service as well. It just might deflate some of these kids massive heads a bit. Say the rest of the season and playoffs plus 500 hrs of service to be completed before he comes back? Might be just me but I hate this kind of s*** in hockey.

#15 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

Should have been for far longer than that, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Not that I'd ever wish physical harm on anyone, but maybe if he suffered from a hit like the one he levied on Mikael Tam, he might be less inclined to do it to someone else. Karma running over his dogma, if you will.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#16 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

To be fair, this hit is only drawing more attention than 102912190411 other head hits of the same style and dirtiness because the player getting hit happened to get injured more than usual. That's not to say it's not a bad thing, but it's not like this player has done some wretched thing that only happens once every blue moon. It's a very usual head hit, for how often they occur, anyhow. That said, given both the severity of the injury and the stupidity of head hits, a message needs to be sent -- rest of the season and playoffs seems appropriate. Criminal charges.. well, that's up for legal people to figure out. Honestly, though, I don't have an issue with this guy having a hockey career beyond this year, provided he doesn't do that s*** again. I also hope that other leagues and particularly the NHL tighten down on headshots--there's way too many of them that go too unpunished, and it was only a matter of time before this occured. Courmier just happens to be the unlucky bastard who hit the wrong noggin.

Edit: To a suggestion above, I think community service is a great idea.

Edited by Datsyerberger, 25 January 2010 - 06:46 PM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#17 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

find it ironically funny that Patrick Roy's player got hurt and yet he can sik his son on another goaltender and see nothing wrong with it.... Hmmmmm, I wonder if Jonny Roy layed that elbow out if he'd be so upset?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#18 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=514972

That article sort of explains Lou's feelings a bit better. His comment was taken out of context... he was asked if there would be any CRIMINAL CHARGES (not asked about suspension) to which he stated 'No'. Apparently he never said the hit did not warrant suspension.
Posted Image

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (hooon @ January 25, 2010 - 07:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=514972

That article sort of explains Lou's feelings a bit better. His comment was taken out of context... he was asked if there would be any CRIMINAL CHARGES (not asked about suspension) to which he stated 'No'. Apparently he never said the hit did not warrant suspension.

If that's the case, then I guess my respect level for him rose back to where it was before...which wasn't that much to begin with. I still don't like the move he made back in 2007(?), firing the Devils coach a few games before the playoffs so that he could coach, despite the team not struggling.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#20 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

I think Lou's just backpedaling, but it's just as likely that he was taken out of context too. I still don't like him.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!