• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey

Rate this topic

who are the teams in the front-running for trading for kovie?

they keep sayin kings or bruins...its really anybodys guess...really question is who is atlanta gonna get or whta kinda picks will they get in return.

Kovalchuk will not go for much more than Hossa did, remember (some of these offers are such an absurd overpayment for a rental):

Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft choice while receiving Hossa and Pascal Dupuis

Essentially 2 young bottom-liners, a top prospect and 1st round pick for Hossa and a young bottom-liner

I don't think the Wings will even go for him, but something like Helm, Kindl and a first round pic is more realistic for Kovalchuk... which makes Detroit over the cap and pretty much out of the discussion. Holland is not stupid enough to send young, talented players like Filppula and Kronwall that are signed long term with good-to-great cap hits away for a rental.

Maybe, maybe not. But its the only way to make it work for Detroit. We have to clear $6M+ in cap space, and those 2 are the only way we can do it, aside from shifting half a dozen roster players.

Kovulchuk is a massive upgrade over Flip (and I'm speaking as a Flip slappy). Kronwall is a talented player, but he's not young - he's 29. He's also constantly injured (only played 80+ games ONCE in his career).

Right now we are in danger of missing the playoffs, and our biggest problem is goalscoring. Don't pin your hopes on Franzen, he may well not have the time to play his way into form. You think Ilitch is the kind of guy to sit around waiting to see if we make it or not?

I'm not too fussed either way if we make the deal, but I *would* wait until after the Olympics. The way our season has gone, who knows how many players we'll get back fit and healthy :unsure:

If a contract extension was agreed on before the trade with Kovalchuk, I would definitely be willing to part ways with 2 of Cleary (assuming he would waive his NTC)/Filppula/Stuart and add Leino. Throw in one highly-touted prospect (Tatar, Nyquist, Smith) or a 1st-rounder and I think Atlanta would take it seriously. I would even consider a prospect and a 1st-rounder with the Wing's draft history and the fact that Kovalchuk is pretty young if that's not enough.

Atlanta gets 2 roster players (top-6 forward, top-4 defenseman with playoff success/experience), 1 borderline roster player with pretty high potential that could step into a powerplay/top 3 line role if needed right away and a prospect that has high potential or a pick that could be that (or both if necessary).

Our powerplay would be insane.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Kovalchuk

Lidstrom - Rafalski

or

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Lidstrom - Rafalski

with a 2nd unit with some combination of Kovalchuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Williams and whoever isn't traded between Fil and Cleary.

Edited by DatsyukownzU13

Kovy would be sweet. I'd offer Abdelkader, Leino, Lebda, Ericsson, and Kindl for him, but I don't think they'd bite. ATL would be getting 5 players that could immediately play on their squad, but no top 6 forwards or top 4 D like requested.

Kovy-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Franzen-Fil-Bert

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Cleary-Miller-Williams

:o

Look at that depth!

Though, from what I hear, LA is going to snag him up when they trade Frolov and Johnson.

According to McKenzie:

Teams have been told Waddell wants one top six forward, one top four defenceman and a prospect or high end draft pick.

That's a steep price for a rental player, even one who scores goals like Kovalchuk.

--

At the very least I think we're talking Val Filpulla, Kronwall, and Helm, Abdelkader, or Ericsson.

(Do we have a "high end draft pick??)

IMHO,

I think it's too high of a price for Detroit for just the playoffs.

Certainly, he might like it here and then go on to re-sign, but that's an uncertainty that is just too expensive

and I don't think Ken Holland is going to gamble that much/is that dumb.

I think they make a push for him when he becomes a UFA. IF AT ALL.

(Only if he can get off that MAX CONTRACT nonsense.) :ph34r:

According to McKenzie:

Teams have been told Waddell wants one top six forward, one top four defenceman and a prospect or high end draft pick.

That's a steep price for a rental player, even one who scores goals like Kovalchuk.

--

At the very least I think we're talking Val Filpulla, Kronwall, and Helm, Abdelkader, or Ericsson.

IMHO,

Certainly, he might like it here and then go on to re-sign, but that's an uncertainty that is just too expensive

Reports have stated Waddell was asking Holland for Filppula, Ericsson, a top prospect (like Smith) and a 1st for Hossa (and probably a scrub throw-in).

Holland to Waddell: Stuff it.

Wings win Cup and sign Hossa in the off-season.

According to McKenzie:

--

IMHO,

It almost makes me wish he'll end up in Chicago.

Edited by Echolalia

I'd gladly move Filppula for Kovalchuk. I think a lot of people are forgetting Kovalchuk is only a year older than Val. Having an elite scorer like Kovalchuk lets you split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg making Filppula unnecessary -- more of a luxury than a necessity.

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Highly doubt it's going to happen, I don't even want to get excited about it.

I agree completely. I doubt Kovalchuk ends up with the Red Wings, but man would it sure be nice.

Our powerplay would be insane.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Kovalchuk

Lidstrom - Rafalski

or

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Lidstrom - Rafalski

with a 2nd unit with some combination of Kovalchuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Williams and whoever isn't traded between Fil and Cleary.

I'd put Kovy on the point. He's murder from the high slot with his slap shot.

Datysuk - Zetterberg - Homer

Kovy - Lidstrom

Kovy's a righty and putting Lidstrom on RD means no more switching off.

If LA is the front-runner then I say throw all the names mentioned in this thread to Waddell. IMO the Wings need Kovy more than LA does. At that point it's just for the sake of having him on your team and not the other, who is 7 points ahead of you.

Be nice if the Wings could land him in the off-season somehow. Pretty much impossible to get him at the deadline or anyone else for that matter given the current cap situation. I'll be happy if we waive Leino and Lebda. Addition by subtraction if you ask me.

Link

"Ultimately, we offered Kovy more than $101 million over 12 years, which would have been the highest contract signed by an impending unrestricted free agent in the history of the league.

Damn...

:scared:

Translation... "I don't wanna and ain't gonna play here no mo'!!"

Be nice if the Wings could land him in the off-season somehow. Pretty much impossible to get him at the deadline or anyone else for that matter given the current cap situation. I'll be happy if we waive Leino and Lebda. Addition by subtraction if you ask me.

Ive given up on understanding the cap. From reading the boards in the past I came to the conclusion that long term IR did not bring cap relief. Then i read articles like this where theres talk about money saved from injuries... Im also not familar with Pagnotta so I dont know whether to trust the source.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/...otta100204.html

"Thanks to long-term injuries to Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall and Andreas Lilja, the Wings are bordering $3 million in available cap space. Depending on which players they deal in exchange for Kovalchuk, the Wings will have enough room to fit him under the salary cap for this season."

:scared:

Translation... "I don't wanna and ain't gonna play here no mo'!!"

This means that he wants to play on a competitive team. If he was all about $ then there's absolutely no way you turn down that kind of deal.

Ive given up on understanding the cap. From reading the boards in the past I came to the conclusion that long term IR did not bring cap relief. Then i read articles like this where theres talk about money saved from injuries... Im also not familar with Pagnotta so I dont know whether to trust the source.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/...otta100204.html

"Thanks to long-term injuries to Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall and Andreas Lilja, the Wings are bordering $3 million in available cap space. Depending on which players they deal in exchange for Kovalchuk, the Wings will have enough room to fit him under the salary cap for this season."

We have 0 cap space. If Franzen and Lilja don't come back this season we have accrued a million in cap space, which translates to a 3 million dollar player at the deadline. Franzen and Lilja are coming back. We have 0 cap space.

When it comes to matters of the cap, I'm right everytime 60% of the time. But really, I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

This means that he wants to play on a competitive team. If he was all about $ then there's absolutely no way you turn down that kind of deal.

Agreed. Hopefully he'll get moved to a team that can't afford to resign him and we can take our best shot at him in free agency.

Within the realm of sanity of course, but a shot at least.