• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/6 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Kings 4

Rate this topic

Holy crap. I have no idea how we won that game. No way did the Kings deserve to win. The Wings dominated 50 minutes of that game.

I would be pissed too if I were you guys.

I'd be more pissed if my team missed the playoffs 6 straight seasons and the highlight of their decade was winning a first round playoff series against an injured Wings team, and then losing in the next round.

So we are only feeling the backlash of the Yzerman situation now. We have been to 2 finals and won a cup. President's Trophys as well. What does that have to do with this season?

LOL.....

Pay attention.

First it was Yzerman. And Shanahan.

Then it was Chelios. And Hudler.

Now? It's Osgood.

These are not the types of Players who are "Meh.....take 'em or leave 'em." guys. All of these guys were universally respected, and universally LIKED, (on a personal basis), by everyone in the Room.

How many good Team guys have to get thrown under the bus before the Players who are left in the Room start to wonder if THEY are next in line for the s***ty "Thanks for everything. Now get out." treatment?

You think these guys aren't human?

People need to chill out. Yea they blew a 3 goal lead but it's not like they totally sucked. They completely outplayed the Kings in the 3rd period with the game tied and hit 2 posts within less than a minute. Either of those goes in and people on here aren't ready to give up on the team.

Relax. We are a point out of the playoffs with 25 more games to go and we are getting back the Mule the next game.

With all these guys coming back, it will take a little bit of time to get rolling.

I am encouraged by what I saw in the 1st and 3rd periods. This team is MUCH better than it was a month ago. Dats and Z are on fire and Flip is really playing great.

Patience....

If that's what you got from my post, then perhaps you should take a reading comprehension course at your local community college. Lids was the ONLY logical choice to follow Yzerman. Period.

It's not Stevie's absence which is the problem. Yzerman being ever so gently shown the door is the problem. Shanny feeling "unwelcome" is the problem. Cheli being FORCED OUT is the problem. Osgood being treated like s*** is the problem.

Again....to YOU these guys are just numbers on the roster. To the guys in the Room, they're "brothers". Some they've known for nearly their entire adult lives, AND their entire careers in some cases.

You can think to yourself that your brother is a douchebag all you want. You may even proclaim it to him to his face on a daily basis.

But when someone ELSE ***** slaps your brother, that just ain't gonna work.

Right... Stevie was forced out of the Wings organization and his feelings were so hurt that he accepted a job in the front office.

Peddle your swill gathered from drunk people somewhere else please.

LOL.....

Pay attention.

First it was Yzerman. And Shanahan.

Then it was Chelios. And Hudler.

Now? It's Osgood.

These are not the types of Players who are "Meh.....take 'em or leave 'em." guys. All of these guys were universally respected, and universally LIKED, (on a personal basis), by everyone in the Room.

How many good Team guys have to get thrown under the bus before the Players who are left in the Room start to wonder if THEY are next in line for the s***ty "Thanks for everything. Now get out." treatment?

You think these guys aren't human?

Well if you are right it is definitely suprising that it is only starting to hurt us now. I don't think it's that that is affecting our play.

If that's what you got from my post, then perhaps you should take a reading comprehension course at your local community college. Lids was the ONLY logical choice to follow Yzerman. Period.

It's not Stevie's absence which is the problem. Yzerman being ever so gently shown the door is the problem. Shanny feeling "unwelcome" is the problem. Cheli being FORCED OUT is the problem. Osgood being treated like s*** is the problem.

Again....to YOU these guys are just numbers on the roster. To the guys in the Room, they're "brothers". Some they've known for nearly their entire adult lives, AND their entire careers in some cases.

You can think to yourself that your brother is a douchebag all you want. You may even proclaim it to him to his face on a daily basis.

But when someone ELSE ***** slaps your brother, that just ain't gonna work.

This franchise, up to and including the present team, has gone above and beyond any other franchise in being loyal to their players. Consider that on a stacked team we made space for a completely useless McCartey just because he's an ex-Wing (made useless because we had Drake, making DMac redundant). Consider that we allowed Cheli to remain on the roster until he was the 2nd oldest player in NHL history, and basically became uselessly slow out there... Consider that we've recently signed two players to lifelong deals and that we've kept Maltby, despite his major declines in offensive and defensive productivity. Consider that we've consistently been the oldest team in the league for two decades... that if you remember the cup finals against the Devils, they were calling our team too old EVEN THEN... and we've repeatedly allowed guys to remain as big parts of our lineup well into their 40s, and still do despite a league-wide move towards speed and youth. Your evidence is stuff that I have never seen on blogs, or implied in the press, and your one shred of confirmable evidence is something that moron Roenick said? .....

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild

This franchise, up to and including the present team, has gone above and beyond any other franchise in being loyal to their players. Consider that on a stacked team we made space for a completely useless McCartey just because he's an ex-Wing (made useless because we had Drake, making DMac redundant). Consider that we allowed Cheli to remain on the roster until he was the 2nd oldest player in NHL history, and basically became uselessly slow out there... Consider that we've recently signed two players to lifelong deals and that we've kept Maltby, despite his major declines in offensive and defensive productivity. Consider that we've consistently been the oldest team in the league for two decades... that if you remember the cup finals against the Devils, they were calling our team too old EVEN THEN... and we've repeatedly allowed guys to remain as big parts of our lineup well into their 40s, and still do despite a league-wide move towards speed and youth. Your evidence is stuff that I have never seen on blogs, or implied in the press, and your one shred confirmable evidence is something that moron Roenick said? .....

He has implied that he gets his information from drunk people. I would take anything he says with a grain of salt. Apparently, drunk pencil pushers have their finger on the pulse of the Red Wings. Lol.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest mindfly
People need to chill out. Yea they blew a 3 goal lead but it's not like they totally sucked. They completely outplayed the Kings in the 3rd period with the game tied and hit 2 posts within less than a minute. Either of those goes in and people on here aren't ready to give up on the team.

Relax. We are a point out of the playoffs with 25 more games to go and we are getting back the Mule the next game.

With all these guys coming back, it will take a little bit of time to get rolling.

I am encouraged by what I saw in the 1st and 3rd periods. This team is MUCH better than it was a month ago. Dats and Z are on fire and Flip is really playing great.

Patience....

Think I should add chrisdetroit to the; Crymson, SouthernWingsFan, Nightfall group... haha

Right... Stevie was forced out of the Wings organization and his feelings were so hurt that he accepted a job in the front office.

Peddle your swill gathered from drunk people somewhere else please.

I never stated that Steve's feelings were hurt. Steve wanted one more year. He wanted 8 more goals.

He was gently "shamed" into leaving. His Pride was played on, "You're just not good enough anymore, Stevie. You know it. Let it go. Step aside."

Yes. Y knew it. What he, personally, wanted was to stay on to accomplish that last bit of PERSONAL glory for HIMSELF, after all the years he'd given for the TEAM.

He was made to feel guilty over it, and was reminded that he'd become more a liability than an asset on the ice. "Take one more for the Team, Steve."

While it may have been true, it wasn't necessarily the right thing to do. Period.

And, once again, you keep fooling yourself into thinking that the fact that the people "in the know" who let these things slip when they're in their cups makes it any less true.

He has implied that he gets his information from drunk people. I would take anything he says with a grain of salt. Apparently, drunk pencil pushers have their finger on the pulse of the Red Wings. Lol.

LOL....

Once again, keep telling yourself that.

Well if you are right it is definitely suprising that it is only starting to hurt us now. I don't think it's that that is affecting our play.

How well did they play last Season?

They didn't play well at all. They OUTSCORED opponents. They were atrocious, defensively.

They ALSO had a HUGE problem with "showing up" in Games. ALL last Season.

They didn't come together until the Post Season started.

Or had you forgotten that, too?

How much do YOU think Chris Chelios was respected in that lockerroom? How do YOU think it sat with the Players to see him treated like he was treated? Yes, he was old. Yes, he wasn't as effective as he once was.

He was ALSO a guy who'd been a huge part of this Franchise for a decade, a Hall of Famer, and one of the hardest working guys in the history of the Game.

LOL....

Once again, keep telling yourself that.

Well I heard that Stevie was an over rated captain. He barely said anything to anyone in the dressing room. He wasn't very motivational to the team. He did lead by playing hurt but that seemed to be it.

I heard that from a a former teammate of his. Doesn't make it completely true though. So we will take what you say with a grain of salt as I'm sure you will tak my comment the same way.

Edited by zettie85

How well did they play last Season?

They didn't play well at all. They OUTSCORED opponents. They were atrocious, defensively.

They ALSO had a HUGE problem with "showing up" in Games. ALL last Season.

They didn't come together until the Post Season started.

Or had you forgotten that, too?

How much do YOU think Chris Chelios was respected in that lockerroom? How do YOU think it sat with the Players to see him treated like he was treated? Yes, he was old. Yes, he wasn't as effective as he once was.

He was ALSO a guy who'd been a huge part of this Franchise for a decade, a Hall of Famer, and one of the hardest working guys in the history of the Game.

Well at least they managed to wipe their tears and be professionals in the playoffs.

The shoddy treatment of once valued veteran Players who helped to lead this Team to multiple Championships has ruined the Chemistry and dynamic of this Team during a retooling year, when they need veteran leadership more than ever.

There. Fixed it for you.

Patience....

I don't know why people continue to think Franzen coming back is gonna solve the wings' problems. The wings have been playing this way since the start of the season when they had a full roster. They had 9 regulars out and were playing this way. They got the injury lists down to 2 or 3 players and still played this way. Now they're down to Franzen on the list and they're still playing this way.

I had a bad feeling before this game (as noted early in the thread) and this time I did not let myself get too excited even after being up 3 goals. I just don't get it. This team is really screwed up and the only thing I can think of is team chemistry. The talent is there. There is no way they should have trouble scoring goals, and there's no way in hell they shoudl be blowing as many leads as they have been. I don' tcare if they are out of the playoffs by a point. SOoner or later one of the teams that is just outside the playoffs is gonna get hot. It happens every year. I would like it to be detroit but they have played this lackluster defense all season long. Why shoudl I think it's gonna change?

Well I heard that Stevie was an over rated captain. He barely said anything to anyone in the dressing room. He wasn't very motivational to the team. He did lead by playing hurt but that seemed to be it.

I heard that from a a former teammate of his. Doesn't make it completely true though. So we will take what you say with a grain of salt as I'm sure you will tak my comment the same way.

It's a well documented fact that Yzerman didn't talk much. About anything. Ever.

That's why the rare occasions when he DID speak had that much more of an impact. Think 2002 WCQF's against Vancouver, down 0-2, and Steve Yzerman taking questions at the post-game PC, head down, staring at the table, saying in a barely audible voice:

"I guess this Series might not go seven Games after all." Pause....pause....pause.....then a look up, directly into the eyes of the guy who had asked the question, with eyes black as an abyss, and saying in an even QUIETER voice:

"That doesn't mean we're gonna lose, either."

Stevie picked that Team up and carried them on one knee.

And he was right. The Series DIDN'T go seven Games.

The Wings won in six.

It's a well documented fact that Yzerman didn't talk much. About anything. Ever.

That's why the rare occasions when he DID speak had that much more of an impact. Think 2002 WCQF's against Vancouver, down 0-2, and Steve Yzerman taking questions at the post-game PC, head down, staring at the table, saying in a barely audible voice:

"I guess this Series might not go seven Games after all." Pause....pause....pause.....then a look up, directly into the eyes of the guy who had asked the question, with eyes black as an abyss, and saying in an even QUIETER voice:

The Wings won in six.

Yzerman's comments didn't change that series it was Lidstroms goal that broke the Canucks back and Cloutiers career.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

The Wings won in six.

I remember hearing something about how Lidstrom was saying to Yzerman that maybe they should say something to the team during that series, but Yzerman thought otherwise. Then things got worse and Yzerman spoke to the team. I could be crazy though.

You missed the point, clutch. As you most often do.

Stevie reportedly wanted one more year. He wanted that 700. He was made to feel "guilty" for wanting to accomplish such a thing when there were other, younger Players, who were waiting in the Wings, (literally and figuratively), for their turn to be the "face of the Franchise". It was subtle, but it was put right out there.

Shanahan? Done? He scored 40 goals, and had 41 assists that Season, clutch. Shanny wasn't "done". He was disgusted. He left. Period.

Cheli didn't get any ice time because Babcock wouldn't GIVE HIM any ice time. Or had you forgotten that? I'm sure you've probably forgotten the flap over J.R. comments that it was personal, and that Babcock "hated" Chelios, too. JR has big fat mouth, but what conceivable reason could he have for making a comment like that without SOME type of truth to the matter.

Again....you've MISSED the point.

These men, while "done" in YOUR eyes, were well respected TEAMMATES to the guys they played with. And if you think these guys form NO attachment to Teammates they've gone to war with, Season after Season, over the space of a decade and more.....

Than you know little to nothing about the Team dynamic. And when they watch their TEAMMATES and FRIENDS being treated like s***, simply because "time passes", they're thought is.....

"Time's passing for ME too. Will I be thrown under the bus once my best days are behind me, too? f*** THAT! I've given everything I HAD to this Team."

Where do you think the concept of Team Chemistry comes from?

If he was such a dick to Yzerman, why would Yzerman choose him to coach Canada at the Olympics?

He knows that Babcock is an amazing coach. He has (briefly) played with him, and likely has regular conversations with him.

Based on your theory there's two possibilities that would be the basis for what you think:

1. Babcock is incompetent, doesn't understand team dynamics, and just doesn't understand what he's doing with his supposed treatment of certain vets.

2. Babcock has a vendetta against veteran players.

Obviously Yzerman disagrees with #1.

And #2 is ridiculous.

Is it possible your theory just stems from the Osgood love? I don't think there's any real basis for the Babcock hate.

And @ zettie85:

Please, for the love of god, never question Yzerman's leadership again.

Edited by Zetts

You missed the point, clutch. As you most often do.

Stevie reportedly wanted one more year. He wanted that 700. He was made to feel "guilty" for wanting to accomplish such a thing when there were other, younger Players, who were waiting in the Wings, (literally and figuratively), for their turn to be the "face of the Franchise". It was subtle, but it was put right out there.

Shanahan? Done? He scored 40 goals, and had 41 assists that Season, clutch. Shanny wasn't "done". He was disgusted. He left. Period.

Cheli didn't get any ice time because Babcock wouldn't GIVE HIM any ice time. Or had you forgotten that? I'm sure you've probably forgotten the flap over J.R. comments that it was personal, and that Babcock "hated" Chelios, too. JR has big fat mouth, but what conceivable reason could he have for making a comment like that without SOME type of truth to the matter.

Again....you've MISSED the point.

These men, while "done" in YOUR eyes, were well respected TEAMMATES to the guys they played with. And if you think these guys form NO attachment to Teammates they've gone to war with, Season after Season, over the space of a decade and more.....

Than you know little to nothing about the Team dynamic. And when they watch their TEAMMATES and FRIENDS being treated like s***, simply because "time passes", they're thought is.....

"Time's passing for ME too. Will I be thrown under the bus once my best days are behind me, too? f*** THAT! I've given everything I HAD to this Team."

Where do you think the concept of Team Chemistry comes from?

Your point apparently is: keep guys on past the point of no return and forget about the future to live in the past. Look, all these guys - yzerman included - recognize they have a shelf-life on their career. I mean c'mon, Yzerman wasn't treated like s***, Shanahan made a decision to leave, Chelli - well he really was done. These guys are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to give value and contribute - and they know they can be traded, waived, etc. I don't know what profession you are in, but mine works the same way. I get a certain amount of slack based on past performance, but if that stops for any extended period, I fully expect to be out on my ear - And I'm not paid 7 figures. Hossa was a "good teammate" and he played here for 1 year. Maybe they miss Hossa. Pretty naive theory if you ask me.

The Wings won in six.

Always with the nostalgia with you... This team has always been an underachiever, ESPECIALLY during the Yzerman days... hence why we have more presidents trophies than cups (during the Yzerman era of course... not all time). There is no hockey player I respect more than Yzerman, but our "veteran leadership" has led to numerous first round exits and disappointments. This is the first post-Yzerman year that we can really look at the Wings and say they've underachieved, and the season still isn't over.

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild