• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown Red Wings

NBC screwing over hockey fans

Rate this topic

NBC has been so gracious to put all the hockey games on USA, MSNBC, and CNBC. Problem is, the games are nowhere to be found when the game starts. Instead, we get to watch the last period of a women's game between Slovakia and Russia. Or, maybe women's curling. And eventually we get to the game with about 2 minutes left in the first period.

This terrible planning is completely frustrating since every other sport gets their games broadcast in their entirety except men's hockey. Isn't this tournament only the biggest event at these Vancouver Olympics?

Tell them they suck at nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

Watch them online until they start broadcasting live on TV, if you care so much.
I've been trying to do that myself. It seems just about every reliable hockey/sports streaming site I know of is offline or not showing the Olympics. The nbc online stream requires a handful of things to even qualify for the stream, then if you do qualify you get bombarded with NyQuil commercials every two minutes. If it's not commericals then they are randomly skipping parts of the game (like the entired period 2 of USA vs Switzerland).

Good news though, you can watch allll the damn curling you want...

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I've been trying to do that myself. It seems just about every reliable hockey/sports streaming site I know of is offline or not showing the Olympics. The nbc online stream requires a handful of things to even qualify for the stream, then if you do qualify you get bombarded with NyQuil commercials every two minutes. If it's not commericals then they are randomly skipping parts of the game (like the entired period 2 of USA vs Switzerland).

Good news though, you can watch allll the damn curling you want...

I've been watching the NBC Oly feeds and haven't seen one single commercial. The only thing I had to do was select my cable provider, Comcast, sign in with my Comcast info and I have full access.

Watch them online until they start broadcasting live on TV, if you care so much.

I tried watching online and last night they had no commentary. It was kind of weird to watch without anybody saying anything :)

I've been watching the NBC Oly feeds and haven't seen one single commercial. The only thing I had to do was select my cable provider, Comcast, sign in with my Comcast info and I have full access.

Strange. My co-worker got it up and running yesterday and literally every 3-5 minutes (I do mean every 3-5 minutes) after a whistle they'd cut to a blank screen saying "stay tuned" then roll off three NyQuil commercials in a row. Three 30 second clips of ugly fat people snoring. While that is annoying, it was them ignoring the 2nd period completely and the hour delay of the "live stream" that spelled out NBC sucks the big one so far with hockey coverage (at least in Denver, CO).

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Strange. My co-worker got it up and running yesterday and literally every 3-5 minutes (I do mean every 3-5 minutes) after a whistle they'd cut to a blank screen saying "stay tuned" then roll off three NyQuil commercials in a row. Three 30 second clips of ugly fat people snoring. While that is annoying, it was them ignoring the 2nd period completely and the hour delay of the "live stream" that spelled out NBC sucks the big one so far with hockey coverage (at least in Denver, CO).

I get the "stay tuned" logo during the tv timeouts and that's it. No commercials, just the little spinning NBC Oly logo. Very strange. Lucky I guess.

Perhaps it has something to do with my use of Firefox with Adblock Plus. Just a guess.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I agree with the OP, the way NBC has handled the coverage is atrocious. I thought that the whole point of the Olympics is to showcase the best athletes in the world on the biggest stage, yet they are locking a significant part of their potential audience out altogether, driving business away and encouraging piracy. If they were to make their streaming available to everyone rather than requiring that you have a cable subscription (which is stupid because if people have cable, then they generally don't need to stream the games in the first place) they could show all the advertisements they want and I doubt anyone would really complain. In the instances where I have been near a TV that gets CNBC or MSNBC, the OP is also correct that they are joining games in progress, are late coming back from commercial breaks and intermissions, and just generally lessening the overall enjoyment of the games with their cut and paste coverage on all of their networks. I hope that the Olympics sign with Fox when this contract is up, and I also hope that the NHL goes with another network nxt time around.

/rant

Why is curling even a sport and what is the appeal of it? Okay so you have this dude (or lady) push a big-ass rock with a handle down a sheet of ice and then two dudes (or ladies) take turns vigorously scrubbing the ice with brooms that look like they were found at Chernobyl and the apparent objective is to get said stone in a big-ass circle and knock other big-ass stones out of the big-ass circle.

Oh wow, how utterly captivating.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Why is curling even a sport and what is the appeal of it? Okay so you have this dude (or lady) push a big-ass rock with a handle down a sheet of ice and then two dudes (or ladies) take turns vigorously scrubbing the ice with brooms that look like they were found at Chernobyl and the apparent objective is to get said stone in a big-ass circle and knock other big-ass stones out of the big-ass circle.

Why is hockey even a sport and what is the appeal of it? Okay so you have these dudes push a tiny-ass puck with a stick down a sheet of ice and then these other dudes try to stop them and the apparent objective is to shoot that tiny-ass puck into the back of a net more times than the other dudes.

:D

Oh look at that, you took my exact same post and just changed the subject. Your wit is unparalleled. Excuse me while I lie down to relax from this attack of the vapors that just came over me.

Edited by Electrophile

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Oh look at that, you took my exact same post and just changed the subject. Your wit is unparalleled. Excuse me while I lie down to relax from this attack of the vapors that just came over me.

Just because you don't like curling doesn't somehow make it less of a sport. There are plenty of people that don't like hockey. Does that make hockey less of a sport? No.

Just because you don't like curling doesn't somehow make it less of a sport. There are plenty of people that don't like hockey. Does that make hockey less of a sport? No.

You're missing something here, I think. I didn't say curling wasn't a sport or that it shouldn't be one or that it was less of a sport. I was asking WHY it was one, as I don't get the appeal. I'm clearly aware that curling HAS appeal, because watching it on TV today there were a lot of people there cheering their asses off. I don't think they were there because the venue has great concessions, although you never know.

Edited by Electrophile