No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don't expect much from the Wings during Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

salary cap, salary cap, salary cap....

salary cap, salary cap....got it?

in case you did not:

1. trade is not "throw away scrubs", somebody must want them...dont treat other GMs like fools, fans

2. Red Wings is not the center of the universe, for good players there is tough competition .

3. when something did not happen it does not mean that GM did not try.

Oh, ok then. Salary cap means that teams can't improve.

1. Ken Holland put this team up against the cap.

2. There are players on this team that can be/should be moved.

3. Do or do not, there is no try.

Ken Holland just did a interview on TSN and said he has gotten some calls but doesn't expect to make any moves today. Unless its a salary in salary out deal because "we only have a few hundred thousand dollars space" said maybe in the off-season the situation could be different. He also says he wants to hang on to picks and prospects and get the system "replenished" again.

I dont get how teams like Chi and Pitt manage to make so many trades, yet we stay put

2849-KenHolland.jpg

Another boring trade deadline for us.....whoopie. Whats that, three years in a row now? Anyway, night fellas.

Oh, ok then. Salary cap means that teams can't improve.

1.  Ken Holland put this team up against the cap.

gimme cheap top6 forwards, right?

2.  There are players on this team that can be/should be moved.

to where????? kill them?? Who wants your "overpaid-underperforming" players???

3.  Do or do not, there is no try.

do you know what is happening behind the scenes???

sigh.

sigh.

So, even though you don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I'm wrong for saying there's nothing? Sigh yourself. That logic doesn't work. I "almost" took chemistry in college, I don't get credit for thinking about it, and neither does our GM.

Regarding cheap forwards--um, maybe they wouldn't be necessary if we didn't throw $1.5 million at guys like Jason Williams? Maybe we could add a guy with a higher salary? Ahh.

Players that could be moved? I think we have some pieces that we could move, for sure. Lebda, Filppula, Williams, Meech, Ericsson (in the right move). Not saying "MOVE THEM NOW" but players that could be moved for moderate other pieces.

2849-KenHolland.jpg

Another boring trade deadline for us.....whoopie. Whats that, three years in a row now? Anyway, night fellas.

Last three years... hmm... Conference Finals, Finals, and a Cup.

So boring!

Guest Crymson
I would like to thank Ken Holland for signing Jason Williams to a $1.5 million deal.

That $1.5 million under the cap would be about $5 million annual salary today that we could take on.

But thanks for Jason Williams, Kenny. Hopefully Hakan Andersson can bail you out again with a European find.

Quick! Go back in time and tell Holland you're from the future and that he needs to not sign Williams, so that he'll have money with which to trade players at the deadline!

I mean, seriously... are you being on the level here?

Edited by Crymson

sigh.

So, even though you don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I'm wrong for saying there's nothing? Sigh yourself. That logic doesn't work. I "almost" took chemistry in college, I don't get credit for thinking about it, and neither does our GM.

Regarding cheap forwards--um, maybe they wouldn't be necessary if we didn't throw $1.5 million at guys like Jason Williams? Maybe we could add a guy with a higher salary? Ahh.

Players that could be moved? I think we have some pieces that we could move, for sure. Lebda, Filppula, Williams, Meech, Ericsson (in the right move). Not saying "MOVE THEM NOW" but players that could be moved for moderate other pieces.

I'd rather keep Flip then Ericsson. Flip has shown plenty of signs of improvement. I understand Ericsson is a rookie, but aside from 1 playoff series and a fight with Perry, he has slowly regressed. I believe to many hope for another Fisher, but unless he plays like he has a pair of balls I would keep Flip at his price rather then Ericsson at his.

I would like to thank Ken Holland for signing Jason Williams to a $1.5 million deal.

That $1.5 million under the cap would be about $5 million annual salary today that we could take on.

But thanks for Jason Williams, Kenny. Hopefully Hakan Andersson can bail you out again with a European find.

Right, because who needs a player that can help all season when you can overpay for someone at the deadline!

Look, I'm no Jason Williams fan. In fact, I threw up in my mouth when I heard the Wings signed him. However, the Wings needed scoring badly. Williams is capable of putting up decent numbers. Holland wasn't going to not sign him based solely on the chance that he might be able to get someone better at the deadline eight months later.

Quick! Go back in time and tell Holland you're from the future and that he needs to not sign Williams, so that he'll have money with which to trade players at the deadline! Of course, the players you want moved are players that nobody wants, but whatever.

I want an Oompa-Loompa NOW, daddy!

Oh yea I know, it's totally not Holland's fault for signing Williams again. Cause its not like it wasn't obvious in 2006, WHEN WE TRADED AWAY WILLIAMS, that he's as useless as rubber lips on a woodpecker.

I've been a big believer in Holland for a long time, and I agree that right now there's not much he can do because of the current cap situation. BUT that's just it. I think a big mistake was spending 1.5 million on Jason Williams. Has he been terrible? No, but he hasn't been that great. Guys like Afinogenov and Prospal went for less than him and have produced more.

Williams even said that no one else was calling him... so we got a guy who no one wanted, basically. Holland couldn't push for anything better?. Now I'll admit that maybe Afinogenov liked the Russian contingent in Atlanta, and maybe Prospal liked the idea of his fellow Czech player Gaborik.

It seems to me that Holland has learned to "play it safe" to the point of mediocrity. This is finally a time where there's no excuse for Detroit not to shake things up, and yet we're not because he's got too close of ties to certain players. The Red Wings organization is a family, but I think Ken Holland forgets that it's also a business.

Guest Crymson
Oh yea I know, it's totally not Holland's fault for signing Williams again. Cause its not like it wasn't obvious in 2006, WHEN WE TRADED AWAY WILLIAMS, that he's as useless as rubber lips on a woodpecker.

Ya, and he has also continued to score ~40 points per year on mediocre teams, and he is useful in the shootout.

We can't always have exclusively awesome players. You are spoiled and you don't even know it.

Right, because who needs a player that can help all season when you can overpay for someone at the deadline!

Look, I'm no Jason Williams fan. In fact, I threw up in my mouth when I heard the Wings signed him. However, the Wings needed scoring badly. Williams is capable of putting up decent numbers. Holland wasn't going to not sign him based solely on the chance that he might be able to get someone better at the deadline eight months later.

Williams has been very helpful in that dept. :thumbdown:

Ya, and he has also continued to score ~40 points per year on mediocre teams, and he is useful in the shootout.

We can't always have exclusively awesome players. You are spoiled and you don't even know it.

He didn't fit here, he NEVER fit here, he never WILL fit here. He's a damn pin cushion to the opposition. Doesn't being traded 4 times in 4 years tell you something? Theres a reason no one wants this guy.

You are blind if you haven't seen this. Holland saw it in 06, though I guess he forgot quickly.

Williams even said that no one else was calling him... so we got a guy who no one wanted, basically. Holland couldn't push for anything better?. Now I'll admit that maybe Afinogenov liked the Russian contingent in Atlanta, and maybe Prospal liked the idea of his fellow Czech player Gaborik.

Prospal would only play in the East. Everyone thought Afinogenov was done coming into this season... I don't blame Holland for not signing him. Who knows if he even wanted to play here.

He didn't fit here, he NEVER fit here, he never WILL fit here. He's a damn pin cushion to the opposition. Doesn't being traded 4 times in 4 years tell you something? Theres a reason no one wants this guy.

You are blind if you haven't seen this. Holland saw it in 06, though I guess he forgot quickly.

Williams sucks, I agree. But Holland needed offense. Williams can produce offense decently.

Williams sucks, I agree. But Holland needed offense. Williams can produce offense decently.

Is that so? Alright then, enjoy your 9 points and -8 Jason Williams.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Is that so? Alright then, enjoy your 9 points and -8 Jason Williams.

He's played 24 games this season... on a team that is horrible offensively. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't quite tearing it up either. Since his last stint in Detroit, Williams put up 89 points in 143 games. That's .62 PPG, 51 points over a full season. Like I said... decent offensively. Especially for one year at $1.5 million.

I can't believe LGW has driven me to defend Jason Williams.

It amazes me how many Pro GM's we have on LGW! Honestly, we should get Illitch to hire of few of the posters here because they know what they are talking about.

How was Williams a terrible pick up? The guy was hurt for a huge portion of the season, and has finally started getting back to 100% and playing better. He can score goals and is a very good depth guy to have on this team.

Guest Crymson

I remember that when Holland made no deals at the deadline in 2008, Dabura---one of the more trollish members we had back then---threw a fit, said he was sick of it all, and vowed that he was done with these forums (presumably because of frustration with the team).

Unfortunately, he ended up crawling back after the Wings won the Cup. In any event, hopefully the team will lose other such "fans" after this deadline.

I remember that when Holland made no deals at the deadline in 2008, Dabura---one of the more trollish members we had back then---threw a fit, said he was sick of it all, and vowed that he was done with these forums (presumably because of frustration with the team).

Unfortunately, he ended up crawling back after the Wings won the Cup. In any event, hopefully the team will lose other such "fans" after this deadline.

Believe it or not ( and you can trace back the posts), 2008 was the one year I was actually content with Holland not making any moves.

Wings trade Kris Newbury to NYR for Jordan Owens

Name: Jordan Owens

Number: 46

Pos.: F

Shoots: L

Height: 6-0

Weight: 189

Birthdate: 1986-05-01

Birthplace: Toronto, ON

GP G A PTS +/- SOG PIM

2009-10 Regular Season Hartford Wolf Pack 50 6 13 19 8 83 53

2008-09 Regular Season Hartford Wolf Pack 67 12 25 37 17 115 66