• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GONGSHOW HOCKEY

Who should we go after in FA this offseason?

Rate this topic

Kenny Holland should have around 4-5 million to play with this offseason. Who would you like to see him go out and get?? I wouldn't mind Colby Armstrong, also wouldn't mind the Wings sending an offer sheet to Bobby Ryan. Kyle Wellwood is a guy that has good value for the price he gets paid as well.

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

I dont think it's weak at all we don't need a top 3 forward, if anything we need a 2nd line goal scorer, a goalie and a D depeing on what Big Nick does.

Goalies: i wouldn't mind ( they should go back to like when we had Conklin and when ozzy could play and split the games 2 alright goalies Howard being one)

*Dan Ellis (NSH)2mill now

*Chris Mason (STL)3mill now

*Peter Budaj (COL)1.25mill now

Defense:

*Carlo Colaiacovo(STL)1.4mill now

Willie Mitchell (VAN)3.5mill now

Anton Volchenkov(OTT)3.2mill now

Forwards:

Ruslan Fedotenko(PIT)1.8mill now

Marek Svatos (COL)2.35mill now, having a bad season but has potential

*Kyle Wellwood(VAN)1.2mill now

*Tomas Plekanec(MON)2.7mill now

* players i would defintly be going after( dont resign Maltby,Miller,Lebda,Williams,Bertuzzi,Meech) bring up Abby and Kindl and lets get something going here!with the amount of UFA/RFA we have this upcomign off-season we have the chance to do a quick fix to this team without going through these rebuild periods.

Being more realistic for players who will actually be available.... for 4-5 mil....

Bourque

Frolov

Stajan

Ponikarovsky

Borque and Stajan have both signed contracts.

Edited by king_malice

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If he is able to come back, Hudler is the best possible choice for cap hit/return ratio. To not take a dynamic talent like him for 2.85 million would be insane.

Last year he produced more points per TOI than every Wing's forward but Hossa and Datsyuk, (albeit Franzen would have only been beaten by a hair). That means, if he and Zetterberg played the exact same amount per game, and the same amount of games, Hudler would've score more points (and thats with worse linemates to). Also keep in mind, that Hudler hasen't even peaked yet.

For those of you who have been on Frolov's jock strap, if Hudler was given Frolov's 1155 seconds of icetime a game that he was given last year compared to his 819, Hudler would have scored 80 points (1155/819= 1.41, 57 x 1.41 =80) Yes, some will point out I did not differentiate between PP, ES, and PK time, but seeing as both of them saw essentially no consistant PK time, and Frolov did see more PP time, in all liklihood Hudler would have even beat him by a wider margin. In addition maybe Hudler could bring back a few of those Russian prostitutes that he is so fond of and finally get Val to lose his V card.

Keep in mind these numbers assume Hudler and Frolov would still have the same linemates as they did last year, and while I think Flip is a great player, I think Anze Kopitar is a tad better.

In addition to him being better than any alternative listed so far (with the exception of Ryan who is a pipe dream and would command a ridiculously more amount of money), Hudler's low cap hit would also possibly allow us to sign anoter 2.5-3.2 million player also. If Matthew Lombardi could be signed by sacrificing only one of Williams/Bertuzzi, I would use the remaning cap hit on him, letting him center the 3rd line and move Flip to the 2nd.

Assuming Holmstrom is retained at a slight decrease and Lidstrom signs for 4-5 Million.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Zetterberg-Flip-Hudler

Cleary-Lombardi-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Helm-Draper

Edit... Forgot about Stajan's extension

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

I dont think it's weak at all we don't need a top 3 forward, if anything we need a 2nd line goal scorer, a goalie and a D depeing on what Big Nick does.

Goalies: i wouldn't mind ( they should go back to like when we had Conklin and when ozzy could play and split the games 2 alright goalies Howard being one)

*Dan Ellis (NSH)2mill now

*Chris Mason (STL)3mill now

*Peter Budaj (COL)1.25mill now

Defense:

*Carlo Colaiacovo(STL)1.4mill now

Willie Mitchell (VAN)3.5mill now

Anton Volchenkov(OTT)3.2mill now

Forwards:

Ruslan Fedotenko(PIT)1.8mill now

Marek Svatos (COL)2.35mill now, having a bad season but has potential

*Kyle Wellwood(VAN)1.2mill now

*Tomas Plekanec(MON)2.7mill now

* players i would defintly be going after( dont resign Maltby,Miller,Lebda,Williams,Bertuzzi,Meech) bring up Abby and Kindl and lets get something going here!with the amount of UFA/RFA we have this upcomign off-season we have the chance to do a quick fix to this team without going through these rebuild periods. I think there is a pretty good chance we could snag Wellwood(1.5-2mill),Ellis(2.5-3mill)and Colaiacovo(1.75-2mill) just depends on who we resign and what Big Nick does or how much he takes

Borque and Stajan have both signed contracts.

Franzen(5.5)-Datsyuk(6.7)-Holmstrom(1.5)

Zetterberg(7.4)-Flip(3)-Hudler(2.5)

Cleary(2.5)-Wellwood(1.5)-Ritola(535k)

Abdelkader(1)-Helm(750k)-Draper(1.6)

Eaves(500k)

Lidstrom(4)-Kronwall(3.25)

Rafalski(6)-Stuart(3.75)

Lilja(1.25)-Kindl(800k)

Ericcson(900k)

Budaj(1.75)

Howard(750k)

57,9435,000 still over the cap but i would like to see a young guy in the line-up instead of Williams or Bertuzzi just an idea. no need for stupid comments im not saying this is going to happen or saying they are going to make this much just saying IF

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Lidstrom is most likely done after this season so that will free up 7 mil, with Hudler coming back (atleast that is what it sounds like) that is a little under 3 mil in cap space, so he will have a little bit of spending money. For the record though, I say no to Kovalchuk. I don't want Kenny to sign a sniper to a short term contract that is going to handcuff us when it comes to the cap (Hossa). That is unless he gets him for a criminal price, but I don't see that happening. Especially since the KHL is VERY interested in getting him and they are going to shell out beaucoup rubles to get him.

A bit of a dry FA unfortunately this summer. I second Bobby Ryan but he's gonna be entitled to a GIGANTIC pay raise......he's RFA, so I'm not sure we'll be able to counter the Ducks' offer. I'd also love to see Marleau here but I doubt we can afford him, as this is his best (and "coincidentally" last on his contract) season. Frolov has the skill, but I do question the work ethic.......there have been a few times throughout the last few seasons that he's been benched. Not usually a good sign....but if we can grab him for a good deal, cool. Realistically, I'd love to see us go after Torres. I think he'd be a perfect fit here. Other then that, I don't think we can afford much, sadly......

Franzen(5.5)-Datsyuk(6.7)-Holmstrom(1.5)

Zetterberg(7.4)-Flip(3)-Hudler(2.5)

Cleary(2.5)-Wellwood(1.5)-Ritola(535k)

Abdelkader(1)-Helm(750k)-Draper(1.6)

Eaves(500k)

Lidstrom(4)-Kronwall(3.25)

Rafalski(6)-Stuart(3.75)

Lilja(1.25)-Kindl(800k)

Ericcson(900k)

Budaj(1.75)

Howard(750k)

57,9435,000 still over the cap but i would like to see a young guy in the line-up instead of Williams or Bertuzzi just an idea. no need for stupid comments im not saying this is going to happen or saying they are going to make this much just saying IF

I'd double check that cap hit value for Z... You've still got money to work with.

Lidstrom is most likely done after this season so that will free up 7 mil, with Hudler coming back (atleast that is what it sounds like) that is a little under 3 mil in cap space, so he will have a little bit of spending money. For the record though, I say no to Kovalchuk. I don't want Kenny to sign a sniper to a short term contract that is going to handcuff us when it comes to the cap (Hossa). That is unless he gets him for a criminal price, but I don't see that happening. Especially since the KHL is VERY interested in getting him and they are going to shell out beaucoup rubles to get him.

I'll bet money that Lidstrom isn't done this season. He's going to hit at least 50 points. That isn't exactly a number that screams "retire!".

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I'd double check that cap hit value for Z... You've still got money to work with.

I'll bet money that Lidstrom isn't done this season. He's going to hit at least 50 points. That isn't exactly a number that screams "retire!".

I hope so. I'm not ready to see Nick retire yet. However, I've heard stuff from the Howe family saying he's done, so take that for what it is. I guess we will all find out at the end of the season....whenever that is.

I'm not going to go into what exactly I would do. But if this team misses the playoffs, or has an early exit there better be pretty significant changes.

Unfortunately, even if Lids takes a drastic pay cut, we're still gonna be right up against the cap. Hommer HAS to be resigned, Helm is gonna be entitled to a bit of a raise, as is Eaves. I'm pretty sure we're gonna let Miller walk. Sadly, for some odd reason, Holland has come right out and said that he'd like to resign Maltby. Not to smart, but it would probably be league minimum (damn well better be). Lilja will prob. sign for the same amount, we'll let Lebda walk and then offer Meech a contract. I honestly have no idea what Holland plans to do with Bert and Williams. When all is said and done though, we'll prob. have enough funds for one (two if he doesn't resign williams and bert) solid scorer.

These long NTC contracts we have have really come back to bite us in the ass. As I've said since day one, FOUR YEARS SHOULD BE THE ABSOLUTE LIMIT....and even then, should only be done with players you are as close to 100% sure will be solid down the line. I gotta say, Holland seems to sign people a bit too long. Sorry to say, but I do have growing concerns over that 12 year Zetterberg deal :unsure:. Also, that 3 mil/year Cleary contract and 1+mil/year Draper contract aren't looking too good right now either.

Anyway, point is, I don't see many changes being made this offseason......even though its more then obvious we need them.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

we definately need some changes. We've had a healthy team the whole year and we are fighting for a playoff spot? wtf.

I hope so. I'm not ready to see Nick retire yet. However, I've heard stuff from the Howe family saying he's done, so take that for what it is. I guess we will all find out at the end of the season....whenever that is.

Noooo. :( I hope he doesn't retire... he has so much hockey left in him.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Are you high?

No it was sarcasm. Everyone is acting like we need changes when in reality if we didn't have the injury problems we've had this year, such posts wouldn't exist.

Noooo. :( I hope he doesn't retire... he has so much hockey left in him.

See that's what I'm thinking. I mean he doesn't play a real physical game so he has stayed, for the most part, remarkably healthly over his career, however, he has the cups, the norris trophies, etc , etc. I wouldn't blame the guy if he retired. He has kids playing hockey in the Detroit area so he would probably like to take time off.

No it was sarcasm. Everyone is acting like we need changes when in reality if we didn't have the injury problems we've had this year, such posts wouldn't exist.

Ah....I seem to have a knack for missing sarcasm around here. Anyway, I'd say some changes are needed, but nothing too drastic. I mean, we have to remember this is a few players short the team that won it all just a few years ago. That being said, even when we had a full healthy lineup at the beginning of the season (Sweden and then against Chicago), we still didn't look good. I mean, St. Louis destroyed us IN Sweden, what the hell does that tell you? Also some players aren't playing up to their level (*cough* Hank, Ericsson *cough*) and need to step it up next season. So yea, it goes both ways. This team is as bipolar a team as I've seen one.

Oh, and fire McCrimmon :ranting:.....things going south with our defense right when he starts can NOT just be a mere coincidence.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Ah....I seem to have a knack for missing sarcasm around here. Anyway, I'd say some changes are needed, but nothing too drastic. I mean, we have to remember this is a few players short the team that won it all just a few years ago. That being said, even when we had a full healthy lineup at the beginning of the season (Sweden and then against Chicago), we still didn't look good. I mean, St. Louis destroyed us IN Sweden, what the hell does that tell you? Also some players aren't playing up to their level (*cough* Hank, Ericsson *cough*) and need to step it up next season. So yea, it goes both ways. This team is as bipolar a team as I've seen one.

Oh, and fire McCrimmon :ranting:.....things going south with our defense right when he starts can NOT just be a mere coincidence.

I agree with the last part. We don't necessarily need to move players as much as we need to get rid of McCrimmon. Our defense has gotten a lot worse since he got here.

The way I see it Maltby, Eaves, Holmstrom, Lilja, LIdstrom and Bertuzzi are coming back next season. As far as I know Ritola is out of minor league options so that may handcuff us a little bit. So that probably means we'll be saying good-bye to Miller. I also think Williams will walk and Meech's rights will be dealt for a late round pick since he is an RFA or they'll simply opt to not re-sign him and he'll end up an unrestricted free agent.

Kindl will be up with the big club and in my opinion he and Ericsson will be working in together as the 6th defensemen in hopes of avoiding, or minimizing, rookie season struggles Kindl may have (similar to Ericsson) and this will help to boost both player's confidences.

With Abdelkader being set to be with the big club next season as well that gives us a full roster of 13 forwards, 7 D and 2 goaltenders so some decision has to be made if this is the route that we end up taking.

If this is how it works out:

FORWARDS:

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Franzen

Filppula

Cleary

Holmstrom

Bertuzzi

Helm

Draper

Eaves

Abdelkader

Ritola

Maltby

DEFENSEMEN

Lidstrom

Rafalski

Kronwall

Stuart

Lilja

Ericsson

Kindl

GOALTENDERS

Howard

Osgood

The obvious decision here is concerning the forwards. As well as Bertuzzi has done in some ppl's eyes there are posters here who do not think he should return. That aside, the real question surrounds Maltby/Ritola and adding a legit secondary scorer whether that be Hudler or Frolov or anyone else that has been mentioned in this thread. Obviously, for us fans who want the best chance to win the best scenario would be for Maltby to retire. In my mind Hudler would provide the best bang for buck. So if Maltby were to retire and Hudler were to return the following scenario is possible:

2010-2011 Detroit Red Wings

PLAYER BONUS CAP HIT

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk — $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg — $6,083,333

Johan Franzen — $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula — $3,000,000

* Jiri Hudler — $2,850,000

Daniel Cleary — $2,800,000

* Todd Bertuzzi — $1,750,000

* Tomas Holmstrom — $1,750,000

Kris Draper — $1,583,333

* Justin Abdelkader — $850,000

* Darren Helm — $750,000

* Patrick Eaves — $750,000

* Mattias Ritola — $500,000

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski — $6,000,000

* Nicklas Lidstrom — $4,500,000

Brad Stuart — $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall — $3,000,000

* Andreas Lilja — $1,250,000

Jonathan Ericsson — $900,000

Jakub Kindl — $883,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood — $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard — $716,666

BUYOUTS

NONE

LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS

NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 22

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $55,737,876

BONUSES $0

CAP SPACE $1,062,124

*That leaves some cap space which could be used in case it takes a bit more money to re-sign some of these players (i.e Lidstrom) or come the trade deadline.

Franzen - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Hudler - Zetterberg - Cleary

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Abdelkader

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Ritola

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lilja - Ericsson/Kindl

Howard

Osgood

OR

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Hudler

Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary

Abdelkader - Draper - Eaves

Ritola

If he is able to come back, Hudler is the best possible choice for cap hit/return ratio. To not take a dynamic talent like him for 2.85 million would be insane.

Last year he produced more points per TOI than every Wing's forward but Hossa and Datsyuk, (albeit Franzen would have only been beaten by a hair). That means, if he and Zetterberg played the exact same amount per game, and the same amount of games, Hudler would've score more points (and thats with worse linemates to). Also keep in mind, that Hudler hasen't even peaked yet.

For those of you who have been on Frolov's jock strap, if Hudler was given Frolov's 1155 seconds of icetime a game that he was given last year compared to his 819, Hudler would have scored 80 points (1155/819= 1.41, 57 x 1.41 =80) Yes, some will point out I did not differentiate between PP, ES, and PK time, but seeing as both of them saw essentially no consistant PK time, and Frolov did see more PP time, in all liklihood Hudler would have even beat him by a wider margin. In addition maybe Hudler could bring back a few of those Russian prostitutes that he is so fond of and finally get Val to lose his V card.

Keep in mind these numbers assume Hudler and Frolov would still have the same linemates as they did last year, and while I think Flip is a great player, I think Anze Kopitar is a tad better.

In addition to him being better than any alternative listed so far (with the exception of Ryan who is a pipe dream and would command a ridiculously more amount of money), Hudler's low cap hit would also possibly allow us to sign anoter 2.5-3.2 million player also. If Matthew Lombardi could be signed by sacrificing only one of Williams/Bertuzzi, I would use the remaning cap hit on him, letting him center the 3rd line and move Flip to the 2nd.

Assuming Holmstrom is retained at a slight decrease and Lidstrom signs for 4-5 Million.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Zetterberg-Flip-Hudler

Cleary-Lombardi-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Helm-Draper

Edit... Forgot about Stajan's extension

Atta boy. Hudler is the best player we could get in terms of value and cap hit. If Frolov was to become a Wing, he would make money he does not deserve and would become a whipping boy on he forums quickly. I could see it already: "Frolov is lazy and he sucks."

mmamolo, will Kindl be used as a 7th dman in his debut season? I'm not sure but I doubt that would be the case.

Edited by superstarsingh

Atta boy. Hudler is the best player we could get in terms of value and cap hit. If Frolov was to become a Wing, he would make money he does not deserve and would become a whipping boy on he forums quickly. I could see it already: "Frolov is lazy and he sucks."

Actually Hudler is lazy and he sucks...

People are so in love with Happy... what gives? Do we miss him? Yes, but he is just not that dynamic of a player. I know he is doing well in the KHL, but come on.