• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Holmstrom and Wings talking contract

Rate this topic

Holland has had preliminary discussions with Howard Gourwitz, the agent for Tomas Holmstrom, in an effort to re-sign the 37-year forward.

They will resume talks after the Red Wings' current road trip, hoping to get a deal done before the start of the playoffs, when Holland postpones all contract discussions.

"I'm very happy, I'm sure Ken is happy about (Holmstrom's play), too," Gourwitz said. "Now, we have to sit down and take care of business."

Link

Great! When Holmstrom is healthy he is ultra-effective. It would be great to have him signed to a 1 or 2 year deal before the playoffs. Get er done Kenny!

Great! When Holmstrom is healthy he is ultra-effective. It would be great to have him signed to a 1 or 2 year deal before the playoffs. Get er done Kenny!

From here on out with Homer, it will be one year deals only. Since he's over 35, if we sign him to a multi-year deal, we're on the hook for his salary if he retires before the contract is up.

He's had a terrific year. If he feels he has more hockey in him, and he can play like he has this year, bring him back. His cap hit this year was $1.86m ($2.25m in actual salary).

Actually, according to capgeek.com Holmstrom's cap hit is $2.25M/yr. Personally I think they should be operating on one year deals from here on out with Holmstrom and I'd like to see them in the $1.5-1.7M/yr range.

I thought Holland was going to wait until the off season to look at contracts? Unless Homer is willing to sign a ultra cheap one year deal, why not wait? I love Homer, but let's wait and see if he can stay healthy enough to help us the rest of the season and playoffs(if we get in).

I thought Holland was going to wait until the off season to look at contracts? Unless Homer is willing to sign a ultra cheap one year deal, why not wait? I love Homer, but let's wait and see if he can stay healthy enough to help us the rest of the season and playoffs(if we get in).

we're in position to make the playoffs now, so we won't have much time after the season ;)

Love Homer at $2 million or less, but again like others have said, only a one year deal. Too much of an injury history combined with the cap not going up. If he feels he's got another year of good hockey in him, more power to him.

Somewhere, Jake Ryan is a snivelling mess.

homer: "i'm to scoring the goal more better dis sesson, thinking mebbeh i stay another year, two. but mebbeh one-seven-five million, since i'm to score so good...i take old-timer discount, but mebbeh jus bittle more than mebbeh you thinking".

This is the best hockey I have seen Homer play .Where would we be without him all the screens and deflections and great work on the boards .Get him sined Kenny

This is the best hockey I have seen Homer play .Where would we be without him all the screens and deflections and great work on the boards .Get him sined Kenny

yeah...then we'll all do the wave!!!

(geddit? you spelled it "sine" like "sine wave"?!?!? bwahahahhaa...ahh, whaddya know from funny, ya bastards!)

EDIT: best put on my ninja mask so you know i'm just joshin'... :ph34r: there!

Edited by deetroit dario

UPDATE

"Detroit has been so good to me over the years," said Holmstrom, who will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. "I have been fortunate to be part of four Stanley Cup teams here. I want to stay here and finish my career here."

General manager Ken Holland feels the same way. He's already had one brief conversation with Holmstrom's agent, Howard Gourwitz. Holmstrom said he would consider anything from a one-year to a three-year deal.

"Homer and Nick Lidstrom (also an unrestricted free agent after the season) -- those guys aren't going anywhere," Holland said. "They're not leaving Detroit at this stage of their career. They just want to be treated fairly. So, I'm running a salary cap. I've got to find a number that fits, one that they feel good about and that I feel good about."

"Probably at the end of the year we will sit down and work out a (salary) number."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100317/SPORTS0103/3170433/Wings-confident-they-ll-re-sign-Tomas-Holmstrom#ixzz0iUvQlzUi

Wow. Homer contemplating 3 more years! I thought he would be playing 2 more, at the most.

As crazy as it sounds I could actually see Holmstrom playing for 3 more years just because of the heart and determination the guy has. Now, that being said, no way does he sign a 3 year contract. That's just bad business. Holland knows, and Holmstrom knows, the way to go is to sign one year deals here on out even if it means we don't get the benefit of any sort of a marginally reduced cap hit.

As the years go by Holmstroms role would obviously decrease but the guy would still be able to serve a purpose. The guy still has unbelieveavle puck retrieval skills and can screen and deflect like no one else in the game. His powerplay ability is unmatched. So long as his body holds up he'll have a roster spot on this team. That factor alone is enough to support one year deals I would think.

As crazy as it sounds I could actually see Holmstrom playing for 3 more years just because of the heart and determination the guy has. Now, that being said, no way does he sign a 3 year contract. That's just bad business. Holland knows, and Holmstrom knows, the way to go is to sign one year deals here on out even if it means we don't get the benefit of any sort of a marginally reduced cap hit.

As the years go by Holmstroms role would obviously decrease but the guy would still be able to serve a purpose. The guy still has unbelieveavle puck retrieval skills and can screen and deflect like no one else in the game. His powerplay ability is unmatched. So long as his body holds up he'll have a roster spot on this team. That factor alone is enough to support one year deals I would think.

:clap:

To be honest, I think three years is a perfect amount of time left for him. I agree for 1 year contracts here on out incase something goes sour. For a player like him, 40 is a perfect age to retire.