• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Umm people that want goalies to be fair game need to understand why goalies aren't allowed to be hit. The goaltending equipment does not allow them the movement that regular players have and that impacts their ability to protect themselves by avoiding contact. Now if you just want to stop goalies from playing the puck then just say it. But letting them get hit would be a major mistake.

#42 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,612 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

I want to see Williams do that against Nabokov tonight. Make his dives look real for once.

:hehe:

What's the worst thing that could happen? Williams get suspended? Oh no!
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#43 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Dirty play obviously and deserves maybe a game plus a punch in the face but come on people. Banned from the league? Really people, its playoff hockey youre losing you try to knock the other team(or goalie) off their game however you can. Goalies have been getting ran from the dawn of hockey, its just the fans (this site for example) have gotten softer. Let the defense man take care of it, not the league.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#44 brettq

brettq

Prospect

• Gold Booster
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

Looked like a clean hit to me. Elbows in. Didn't leave the ice. No intention of a headshot.

Whats the problem?

#45 beez35

beez35

Alex #37

• Gold Booster
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

I still think if a goalie wants to come out of his crease and "play" he is fair game. All rules concerning hits should apply.

Goalies are neither taught/trained to give or take hits - nor do they wear protective equipment for that purpose.

I play goal in the UK and have been hit before by a team mate in practice who was goofing around and because I landed on my back, with no protection, and hit the back of my mask on the ice - no protection either, I was out of hockey for a month.

Goalie equipment is designed to stop pucks from the front only, and masks are the same also, they are not helmets that give you all round protection.

However - there is a fine line between protecting goalies who come wandering out of their crease, and saying they are fair game - and that is certainly a ruling that should be looked at more closely.

Posted Image

#46 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Archibald's actions were obvious: he wanted to send a message to the Spitfires for the next game (Windsor changed goaltenders before the next whistle, just in case someone else on the Colts wanted to try to send the same message again).
Here's a message: your team had the second highest points total in OHL history, you have home-ice advantage in this final and you might get swept if you lose tonight. And, thanks to G3, you and your team look like fools.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#47 Blackhawkdown

Blackhawkdown

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

I dont think players should be allowed to take an all out run at the goaltender, but if he is out of the crease then he shoul;d be fair game to an extint. Its like a QB in football, once the QB decides to take off and run with the ball, he should be treated like a running back. I understand protecting goalies and QB's, but if they choose to leave their respected "safe zones" and decide to get into the middle of the action, then they shouldnt be treated as if they are these fragile beings. They have a choice as to whether they put themselves in harms way, and once they do they should be fair game. However, like I said, players shouldnt be allowed to take ridiculous shots at them, but if they do get hit with an "average" hit, it should be allowed.

#48 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

I dont think players should be allowed to take an all out run at the goaltender, but if he is out of the crease then he shoul;d be fair game to an extint. Its like a QB in football, once the QB decides to take off and run with the ball, he should be treated like a running back. I understand protecting goalies and QB's, but if they choose to leave their respected "safe zones" and decide to get into the middle of the action, then they shouldnt be treated as if they are these fragile beings. They have a choice as to whether they put themselves in harms way, and once they do they should be fair game. However, like I said, players shouldnt be allowed to take ridiculous shots at them, but if they do get hit with an "average" hit, it should be allowed.

I would like that, the refs could give charging penalties if they got hit too hard.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#49 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

You're missing the point. The QB in football is wearing the same equipment as the other players that would hit him.

A hockey goalie just doesn't have the movement to be able to protect himself like the other players.

#50 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

Dirty play obviously and deserves maybe a game plus a punch in the face but come on people. Banned from the league? Really people, its playoff hockey youre losing you try to knock the other team(or goalie) off their game however you can. Goalies have been getting ran from the dawn of hockey, its just the fans (this site for example) have gotten softer. Let the defense man take care of it, not the league.

I agree. Running the goalie isn't that uncommon of a strategy, although this incident was pretty obvious. It's a dangerous play because of the goalie's protection (particularly the helmet), but it isn't that big of a deal IMO. He deserves a game at most from the league (in addition to a pat on the back from his teammates and a punch in the face from the other team), but the OHL has been handing out some pretty hefty suspensions lately so I expect more.

#51 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

What a gutless play... round of applause for the teammate for instantly dropping the mitts and cracking him pretty good with some solid shots...

I beleive there's a time and a place for dropping the gloves right away and laying waste --- and this was that time and place. Game's already decided and the goalie gets charged. Better to unleash hell right away because it's the ONLY time you can legitimately claim "heat of the moment" as a defence.

Saskatoon had their goalie charged late in a game against Red Deer earlier in the WHL playoffs and they waited until after the Red Deer guy got a major penalty, and then the next faceoff to start a line brawl. The dub fined and suspended four Blades to one Rebel, including the Saskatoon coach. That's NOT the way to do it.

#52 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

I love Dunnick's reaction, he didn't even think, just out of reflex he goes over and starts whaling on Archibald. I say protect the goalies in the trapezoid, but if they leave it make them fair game.