• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heaten

Wings' first draft pick - 22nd overall

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Obviously in the cap world draft picks and great scouting are more important than ever before. Last year Holland traded down which I think was a brilliant move as our scouts do an amazing job drafting late and picked up an extremely underrated kid named Andrej Nestrasil - big new-age powerforward.

One kid that dropped in the 2010 draft is Kirill Kabanov. The reason, from what I understand, is he's a flight risk and has a bad attitude. How true this is, I don't know. But some suggest that he could dart off to the KHL if he flakes out.... which is why he likely won't get picked early in the first round. That said, the kid has top 5 talent, has puck skills that would make Datsuyk and Larionov say "wow!" (watch videos on youtube and see for yourself, the kid is insane).

Is he worth the 22nd pick for Detroit or should Holland trade down again? Wings desperately need to get some top 6 players in the system. What would you like to see Holland do with the 22nd pick?

Meh, I'm tired of primadonnas who bolt when things don't go their way. I'd rather they go for someone without considerable problems. And if there isn't anyone, trade down. It's too risky to blow draft picks on a guy who might bolt.

22 is good spot to pick Dylan Mcilrath. A real solid defender that could be a huge shut down guy for us. Think like Hatcher or a less offensive Pronger but as tough as nails.

I've actually seen some mock drafts having detroit pick him and we know Kenny is interested from that list on TV earlier this year. He was voted the toughest guy in the WHL and can play. This guy would be unreal.

We don't really have top end defensive prospects and I'm really sick of gettnig my hopes up just for someone to bolt back to Europe which has been a pattern lately. I really doubt Kenny goes Russian in the first round especially if Mcilrath is still on the board.

Guest Heaten

I hope Holland or someone from the scouting staff at least has the chance to interview him and learn for themselves if he's a primadonna. He might be a risky pick, but he could be a star in the NHL if his attitude isn't an issue.

mynhldraft.com has Wings picking Dylan McIlrath - 6'5 / 215ibs punishing defenseman. The kid is a one man wrecking crew -- he hits you to hurt you. That may be a nice pick too :)

Guest Heaten

22 is good spot to pick Dylan Mcilrath. A real solid defender that could be a huge shut down guy for us. Think like Hatcher or a less offensive Pronger but as tough as nails.

I've actually seen some mock drafts having detroit pick him and we know Kenny is interested from that list on TV earlier this year. He was voted the toughest guy in the WHL and can play. This guy would be unreal.

We don't really have top end defensive prospects and I'm really sick of gettnig my hopes up just for someone to bolt back to Europe which has been a pattern lately. I really doubt Kenny goes Russian in the first round especially if Mcilrath is still on the board.

Sold! I just posted the same thing before I read your post. Mcilrath is a much less risky pick that could be high reward. The kid is an intelligent defenseman that loves to hit to hurt. He's a bulldozer.

Sold! I just posted the same thing before I read your post. Mcilrath is a much less risky pick that could be high reward. The kid is an intelligent defenseman that loves to hit to hurt. He's a bulldozer.

Because this is a Red Wings board I might as well ask before somebody else does: Any puck skills? If he has moderate puck skills then he sounds like a Brooks Orpik type.

Guest mindfly

"We will continue to draft highly skilled and fast players that can skate"

If they can't skate fast nor make a good first pass they won't pick them... :thumbdown:<_<

Director of NHL Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire

“Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size.”

Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak

“An old school defensemen who plays hard and very physical. A great deal of untapped potential that can be used in shut down situations as well as on the offensive side of the puck.”

Moose Jaw Warriors radio broadcaster James Gallo

“17-year-old Dylan Mcilrath’s large frame casts a shadow that many NHL scouts and opposing teams have taken notice of. His strong defense and punishing physical play has turned him into a fan favourite at the Civic Center.”

Sounds to me like he can move the puck sufficiently. He might not be a brian rafalski puck skills wise but he's mean and can play.

With Lidstrom going this could be the guy to replace his defense. Shut down potential as well as being on the same level of other NHL heavy weights.

He seriously has Pronger written all over him.

I hope Holland or someone from the scouting staff at least has the chance to interview him and learn for themselves if he's a primadonna. He might be a risky pick, but he could be a star in the NHL if his attitude isn't an issue.

mynhldraft.com has Wings picking Dylan McIlrath - 6'5 / 215ibs punishing defenseman. The kid is a one man wrecking crew -- he hits you to hurt you. That may be a nice pick too :)

"In 2007, 15-year-old Kabanov was signed to a five-year contract with HC Spartak Moscow, a deal negotiated by his father and included an escape clause that would allow him to leave the contract to play in the National Hockey League (NHL).[1] When the Russian Super League was disbanded in favour of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in 2008, he signed a new four-year contract to replace the original deal that also had an NHL escape clause.[1] He joined Spartak in 2008–09 as the youngest player in the KHL and appeared in ten regular season and playoff games.[2] During the season, the KHL unilaterally revoked his NHL escape clause. His playing rights were sold to Salavat Yulaev Ufa, which required a new contract be signed under KHL rules. Ufa refused to grant him another escape clause, and Kabanov refused to sign a new contract.[1] In the meantime, he was selected by the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the seventh overall selection in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft."

That is straight from wikipedia. From that it seems the kid is set on playing in the NHL. What scares me is he did not put up one point in 10 KHL games but he is only 17 so that may not be so much of a big deal. He did put up 11 points in 7 games during the WJC though.

Guest Heaten

Because this is a Red Wings board I might as well ask before somebody else does: Any puck skills? If he has moderate puck skills then he sounds like a Brooks Orpik type.

All I can find is he's a good skater for his size. I'm sure he is still a project @ 17 years old.... I doubt he'll be a top 2. He might make a solid #4 on the DRWs, and someone who can PK.

This is a quote used to describe him -- McIlrath, aka the "Freight Train from Winnipeg"

I also hope they draft a solid shut down defenseman who can move the puck as well. They have a lot of defensive defensemen and forwards who can score, but I think they need to add size too.

On second thought, if Lidstrom retires, they really should trade this pick with another player for a high-end defenseman.

Guest Lidstromboli

hope McIlrath doesn't get taken before the Wings have a chance

Brendan Smith finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Guest mindfly

What are they gonna do with the dilemma called Jakub Kindl? a 15th overall with maximum years in the AHL and still is a liability and a turnover machine... what a fail pick :thumbdown:

Brendan Smith finds your lack of faith disturbing.

I actually do have faith in Smith, but one high end guy in the system isn't really enough for my liking.

All I can find is he's a good skater for his size. I'm sure he is still a project @ 17 years old.... I doubt he'll be a top 2. He might make a solid #4 on the DRWs, and someone who can PK.

This is a quote used to describe him -- McIlrath, aka the "Freight Train from Winnipeg"

I've read he can make crisp breakout passes but he's not really an offensive guy from what I can tell.

I don't see Detroit passing him up if they get the chance to pick him, he was listed as a guy they were scouting too. I hate the waiting game now .

Guest Heaten

What are they gonna do with the dilemma called Jakub Kindl? a 15th overall with maximum years in the AHL and still is a liability and a turnover machine... what a fail pick :thumbdown:

I thought Howard was going to be a fail in the NHL too... then he was in the Calder race. I'm holding judgement on Kindl. He could be a pleasant surprise. Jury is still out. He did have a good training camp a few years ago, he is capable of turning it around, imo.

As for the Dylan McIlrath discussion, he has 7 goals, 17 assists and 24 points in 65 games in the WHL. He has some offensive upside.

Director of NHL Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire

“Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size.”

Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak

“An old school defensemen who plays hard and very physical. A great deal of untapped potential that can be used in shut down situations as well as on the offensive side of the puck.”

Moose Jaw Warriors radio broadcaster James Gallo

“17-year-old Dylan Mcilrath’s large frame casts a shadow that many NHL scouts and opposing teams have taken notice of. His strong defense and punishing physical play has turned him into a fan favourite at the Civic Center.”

Sounds to me like he can move the puck sufficiently. He might not be a brian rafalski puck skills wise but he's mean and can play.

With Lidstrom going this could be the guy to replace his defense. Shut down potential as well as being on the same level of other NHL heavy weights.

He seriously has Pronger written all over him.

Sounds like a younger version of what Brad Stewart does now (noting that he was considered an offensive prospect coming into the league... his current role came after he moved to Boston).

We could definitely use a kid who's 6'4 at age 17-- he could put another inch or two on over the next few years. Add strong defensive ability, possible offensive upside and a ton of physicality and it looks like a really strong pick.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Guest mindfly

trade the pick and Cleary, to move up a bit

If they are going to do that the draft would have to had looked like the 2003 draft or something, this year is pretty weak compared to previous years...Only the top4-5 are real impact players that could step in more or less right away...

Sounds like a younger version of what Brad Stewart does now (noting that he was considered an offensive prospect coming into the league... his current role came after he moved to Boston).

We could definitely use a kid who's 6'4 at age 17-- he could put another inch or two on over the next few years. Add strong defensive ability, possible offensive upside and a ton of physicality and it looks like a really strong pick.

Yeah I was thinking Stuart is a good comparison except Mcilrath is a hell of a lot meaner. I think if you loook at what the wings are lacking in the farm this guy provides a lot. You throw everything you said in and add the fact that he will be one of the toughest guys in the league, on the level of like Carkner and Matt Walker and it seems like a no brainer.

If you pick a skilled guy theres a chance that the skill doesnt translate to the bigger stronger NHL but picking this guy youre guaranteed pretty much a 6th defenseman that can hit, fight and clear the front of the net.

Guest Heaten

trade the pick and Cleary, to move up a bit

For who? I don't see anyone in mock draft listed in the teens that looks worth that trade. I like Cam Fowler and Nino Niederreiter in the top 10. Trading down for anyone else doesn't look appealing to me. Maybe Mikael Granlund could be had if Holland finds a way to trade down, but we don't need more tiny players. Hudler and Tatar should be enough.

For who? I don't see anyone in mock draft listed in the teens that looks worth that trade. I like Cam Fowler and Nino Niederreiter in the top 10. Trading down for anyone else doesn't look appealing to me. Maybe Mikael Granlund could be had if Holland finds a way to trade down, but we don't need more tiny players. Hudler and Tatar should be enough.

Yeah really the talent pool seems pretty well the same anywhere from 12-25 and unless youre trading into the top 10 it seems fairly useless.