Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone think the Eastern conference can win the Cup?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

It's tough for me to envision either of the East teams beating either of the West teams, but of course its possible. I just think both SJ and Chi can adapt better to any type of game Phi or Mtl will throw at them. IMO their only hope is playing up the left wing lock or trap and making zone entries very difficult. Both SJ and Chi have excellent north/south games as well as offensive zone setups (with SJ's defense producing offensively, and Buttmuffin doing his best Homer impression. If they are going to have a chance they will have to defend the blue line with their lives.

works every time

#22 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

if chicago happens to advance there is one statistic that may not work in their favor and thats that they do not play nearly as well at home...3-3 at this point and that includes a few drubbings against vancouver
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#23 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

The Hawks are clearly the most talented bunch still in it. They win tonight, and that s***'s pretty much over. The way Niemi is playing is tough to top, so I agree with the idea that the only way anyone's gonna get past them (should they beat the Sharks) is through goaltending. Halak or Leighton have to get hot or it's gonna be a short one. Guys like Briere, Callammeri, etc. can't carry the goal load that consistently throughout the entire playoffs, it's just not plausible. Or the Sharks can do us all a favor and win a f'in game.

And I'm still rooting for the Habs. They're already my go to team at this point. There's too many asswipes I really don't want to see raise the Cup, though there are some guys I want to see raise it.

Like:
Hawks (Kane and Hossa blow, Toews I wouldn't mind)
Sharks (Rob Blake still dislike from his Avs days, Setoguchi, Pavelski I wouldn't mind)
Flyers (Pronger, end of story. Briere, Ville, would be proud)

But to answer the question, I think the East can do it with hot goaltending. Halak in particular.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#24 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

I'm rooting for Montreal (since the elimination of the Wings, 2nd fave team) but realistically I don't think there's an East team that will win. Can is a different story... this year's playoffs is exactly what it's been advertised as - History has been made, and likely still will be made. Anything can happen with the heart, drive and hot goaltender.

#25 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:41 AM

Remember, a lot of people were saying the same thing about the Redwings a few years ago, that they were simply racking up wins in a weak division. We, of course, all knew that to be crap, but that is what other fans were saying.

As others have pointed out, look what happened in the east. I would not want to face the Flyers in the Finals after seeing what they did to Boston.

With that said, of course it's possible, and not all that unlikely imho.

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:35 AM

Well - if the Habs can knock off both the Caps, and Pens who's to say they couldn't do the same to either the Hawks, or Sharks?

Edited by F.Michael, 22 May 2010 - 03:39 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Well - if the Habs can knock off both the Caps, and Pens who's to say they couldn't do the same to either the Hawks, or Sharks?

Same can be said with the Flyers taking out the Devils and Bruins, but I still don't see either beating the Chi/SJ winner. Maybe Philly.

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed

#28 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

I don't see how Montreal of Philly could beat either of the two teams left in the West. The west plays at a higher level than the east does overall. The two top teams in the west are left, against the two bottom teams in the east, which adds more fuel to my argument. Montreal is a cute team, doin some unbelievable things, but the caps were not a complete team by any stretch of the imagination. Pitt may have been suffering some hangover from the past 2 year's playoffs like the WIngs, and now Philly is hungry and disposing of Montreal. Philly will be rough and tough, but it won't be enough against Chicago. Chicago has all the pieces.

I don't think Phi or Montreal will be ready for a western powerhouse like they're goin to face. I just don't see it. Remember, (without lookin back), I want to say that teams 5 through 8 would not have even made the playoffs if they were in the west. The talent and speed in the west supersedes that of the east.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#29 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:26 AM

Philly could beat Chicago if Leighton plays decent. They have a lot of talent and most of them are clicking right now. Briere, Gagne, Richards, Carter, Giroux, Hartnell, JVR, Pronger, Timonen... Leino even has a point a game in the playoffs so far. I hope they do it at least....

#30 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

Flyers over Hawks, please Hockey Gods

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#31 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

would rather the hawks win than the flyers

Posted Image

#32 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

would rather the hawks win than the flyers

No way. Worst fan base on the planet. Narrowly edging out the Blues fans.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

TRUTH. I go to school in indiana and that's all i hear about, it's so annoying. But i think the flyers can do it. someone beat me to it and posted a lot of a talent that ppl overlook. philly is sound defensively, not just with defensemen but two way forwards. Mike richards is an animal in that department. I think too many ppl are just looking a big names, everyone needs to remember that this is hockey, not basketball, and any team can win on any night.

#34 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

yeah those blues fans are notorious for the stuff that they.. do or something

am i right??

also really weird thing to think about team =/= fanbase

Posted Image

#35 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Nope!

Hope im proved wrong

#36 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

well....look what happened last year....

#37 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

well....look what happened last year....

Unless their hotel gets attacked by a pack of leopards I think the Hawks are going to be able to skate into the Finals considerably healthier than the Wings were.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#38 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

This whole situation couldn't have played out worse.

First of all as a dedicated Wings fan now for 26 years, I hate the f***in hawks and their fans. I hate snotty little kids, with mullets, who beat up cab drivers. These kids on this team are being compared to Stan Mikita! Makes me want to vomit.

Philadelphia is most likely going to put this away as well, and now we have to watch Chris Pronger, and the rest of the thug players on that team.

I would rather watch baby boy in Pittsburgh whine to the refs, then this s***!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#39 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

This whole situation couldn't have played out worse.

First of all as a dedicated Wings fan now for 26 years, I hate the f***in hawks and their fans. I hate snotty little kids, with mullets, who beat up cab drivers. These kids on this team are being compared to Stan Mikita! Makes me want to vomit.

Philadelphia is most likely going to put this away as well, and now we have to watch Chris Pronger, and the rest of the thug players on that team.

I would rather watch baby boy in Pittsburgh whine to the refs, then this s***!

The lesser of 2 evils right?

#40 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:17 AM

It wouldn't be the worst thing if the Flyers were to win the cup. It just sucks because Pronger is on that team now. But he is playing some pretty damn good hockey right now. Like I said before, I hope Jonathan Ericsson is watching or will watch.

I'd rather have the Flyers than the Hawks.

By the way, what about that manbearpig bilboard of Toews and the cup next to him? We'll see how lucky they are I guess.