• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

Edmonton Journal: Edmonton considering buy-outs of Patrick O'Sullivan (/3 buy-out), Robert Nilsson (/3 buy-out) and Ethan Moreau (/3 buy-out)

Ottawa Citizen: Senators expected to buy-out final year of Jonathan Cheechoo's $3.5 million per year deal.

Montreal Canadiens have said since Georges Laraque was sent home that he would be bought out of the final year of his deal.

#2 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

I'll take Ethan Moreau on this team, I don't tihnk he has a cup(?), very physical, warrior type player and could be the perfect Dallas Drake for next season.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'll take Ethan Moreau on this team, I don't tihnk he has a cup(?), very physical, warrior type player and could be the perfect Dallas Drake for next season.

yea, no kidding... if this is true, Moreau is the EXACT type of player we need... I would love to see him in the Winged Wheel... especially if we can get him to come here at a discount...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Man whatever happened to Cheechoo. That guy really has slid downhill, and quite fast I may add. He was on top of the league what; three or four years ago? Now he is almost worth no more then a hockey trading card.

I agree with the comments on Moreau but he is one of those guys I just never liked. I don't have a reason at all, I just don't like him. Something about him, lol. But like you both stated he would fit in well here.

Posted Image

#5 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

If Edmonton do indeed buyout Moreau, whether Bert does re-sign or not, he's at the top of my list for 4th line grinder. He can play hockey, good defensively, physical, and a veteran with no Cup that isnt terribly old. Because of his high price tag it was never possible to even think about getting him, but coming off a buyout he could be had for cheap.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 14 June 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#6 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

What happened to Cheechoo?

Thornton made him about 40 goals better than he really was...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#7 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

Man whatever happened to Cheechoo. That guy really has slid downhill, and quite fast I may add. He was on top of the league what; three or four years ago? Now he is almost worth no more then a hockey trading card.

I agree with the comments on Moreau but he is one of those guys I just never liked. I don't have a reason at all, I just don't like him. Something about him, lol. But like you both stated he would fit in well here.

Cheechoo fell apart after he didnt have Thornton feeding him passes.

#8 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

i also think a lot of players had career years in terms of goals and points right after the lock out. teams were not sure how to defend with the new rules. Players like Cheechoo, Briere, Gomez, Gionta really benefitted and inked big deals as a result.

#9 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Ethan Moreau has always been one of my favorite players. If the numbers work he could really help our team in the bottom 6.

#10 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

What happened to Cheechoo?

Thornton made him about 40 goals better than he really was...

no, injuries happened.

Posted Image

#11 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

I read the article about this at TSN. One thing I really hate in the article is that it does not give the actual figures on what their BO cap hit would be.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 14 June 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#12 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Ethan Moreau has always been one of my favorite players. If the numbers work he could really help our team in the bottom 6.

how would he help exactly?

Posted Image

#13 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Moreau would be a perfect fit next to Helm and Eaves. Or Abdelkader and Miller/Ritola. Get 'er done, Kenny!!! Wooo!!!

#14 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

Moreau would be a perfect fit next to Helm and Eaves. Or Abdelkader and Miller/Ritola. Get 'er done, Kenny!!! Wooo!!!

He seems like the exact thing Drake was when he came here. I know Moreau will stick up for his teammates like Drake did, he is a vet that will want a cup and he is a gritty, leave it all on the ice type player and leader.

I'm not sure on how hard he hits though? Anyone that can comment on this would be appreciated.

I don't know if MOreau would be the best route. This offseason there are a lot of young guys that can fill this role and be here for another 10 years. Moreau doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank but if Holland is going for the one year deal to win a cup before you retire type guy then it is Moreau for sure.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#15 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

how would he help exactly?

He's a better player then what we currently have on the roster at his place in the line up? Bot to mention I like him so that automatically puts him above ever other option easily.

#16 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

He seems like the exact thing Drake was when he came here. I know Moreau will stick up for his teammates like Drake did, he is a vet that will want a cup and he is a gritty, leave it all on the ice type player and leader.

I'm not sure on how hard he hits though? Anyone that can comment on this would be appreciated.

I don't know if MOreau would be the best route. This offseason there are a lot of young guys that can fill this role and be here for another 10 years. Moreau doesn't have a whole lot left in the tank but if Holland is going for the one year deal to win a cup before you retire type guy then it is Moreau for sure.

Isn't Moreau the guy who tried to punch Markov, when he laid that big hit against Edmonton? He swung and missed, and he popped his shoulder out of joint. If I am thinking of the right guy, he always seems to be injured.

#17 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Isn't Moreau the guy who tried to punch Markov, when he laid that big hit against Edmonton? He swung and missed, and he popped his shoulder out of joint. If I am thinking of the right guy, he always seems to be injured.

Around 2007 and 2008 he was hurt, he had a bad eye injury I remember. But other then that the last 2 seasons he has played over 75 games which is good for a guy of his style.

The guy that punched Markov was either Moreau or Staios I don't really remember.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#18 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Moreau can also play on the PK. The one year deal before you retire type is definitely Kenny's kind of guy for that role, for better or for worse.

#19 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Moreau can also play on the PK. The one year deal before you retire type is definitely Kenny's kind of guy for that role, for better or for worse.

That has been his style in the past, but that may also partially be because they haven't found a young guy they have liked enough to keep around for an extended time.

If it comes down to a guy like Nystrom or Moreau and Kenny picks Moreau I will seriously question if Kenny has this teams best intentions at heart.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#20 MannyK

MannyK

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Location:Brookline, MA (formerly Clinton Township / Ann Arbor, MI)

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

The Oilers practically gave me Moreau for free in NHL 09... haha

EA's game KNOWS things nowadays... :ph34r:
Let's Go Wings!