Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

What is it why you're a fan of this team?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Nic

Nic

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

Heck, I know 90s hockey and I sure miss it. What I would not like is if this was a cheap-shot-a-minute team. If some huge scandal like steroids (okay, I know it's hockey not baseball but I'm trying to make a point)... or they been secretly running a child-sweat shop in the tunnels of the Joe, I would not be pleased. I can cheer on a good player who can be aggressive but I'm not cheering on a ****.

Thank you, better than I said it :)

#22 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

I think the you'll find that most Michigan-based Red Wings fans (like myself) are also fans of the Tigers/Lions/Pistons. It just seems natural to cheer for the other Detroit teams. All four teams have a lot in common (hard working teams, blue collar work ethic, etc...) and I think this really appeals to Michiganders. I know that's what I respect the most, whether I'm cheering for Steve Yzerman or Barry Sanders or Alan Trammell or Joe Dumars.

#23 Nic

Nic

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

I think the you'll find that most Michigan-based Red Wings fans (like myself) are also fans of the Tigers/Lions/Pistons. It just seems natural to cheer for the other Detroit teams. All four teams have a lot in common (hard working teams, blue collar work ethic, etc...) and I think this really appeals to Michiganders. I know that's what I respect the most, whether I'm cheering for Steve Yzerman or Barry Sanders or Alan Trammell or Joe Dumars.

I don't know, I'm strictly a hockey fan. I don't like to watch teams of any other sports, local or not. The Red Wings are it for me, anyway. And that goes with my first post.

Edited by Nic, 27 June 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#24 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

Heck, I know 90s hockey and I sure miss it. What I would not like is if this was a cheap-shot-a-minute team. If some huge scandal like steroids (okay, I know it's hockey not baseball but I'm trying to make a point)... or they been secretly running a child-sweat shop in the tunnels of the Joe, I would not be pleased. I can cheer on a good player who can be aggressive but I'm not cheering on a ****.

You became a fan of a team that had guys like Probert, brought in Ulf Samuellson and Chris Chelios. Derian Hatcher was brought here. Fischer with that beauty cross check to the face in the finals. Maltby was pretty cheap. Anyone remember him putting Klesla into the open door in the bench and wrecking his knee? Avery came up on this team. Grimson was a dirty player, I was watching a clip of the 95 finals the other day and he cross checked a guy right in the head. Dino Ciccarelli slashed whoever it was in the face a couple times, that guy was crazy, absolute nut bar. Brad May was one of the dirtiest in his prime. This is the same team that just drafted Mitch Callahan and are saying they want him to be our Matt Cooke. This team is pretty classy the way they treat their players but they won't think twice about getting dirty players and are not far off from having quite a few dirty types of players on this team

Right now we have no cheap players, although Abby will throw a high hit every now and then and Kronwall has left his feet before to make a hit. But this team is not far removed from having some dirty ass players on it and being a ***** of a team to play against.

Right now our players are pretty classy yes, but that isn't because its been a goal of the organization, it just kinda worked out like that adn we've had plenty of dirty players the last 20 years

Not just Michigan based, close to Michigan. A lot of South West Ontariens? Ontarionites? ... A lot of ppl fom South West Ontario are the exact same way. A fan of the wings is often a fan of the lions, tigers and pistons.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

I'm with the general consensus here: If they moved I would cheer for another team probably. I wouldn't be cheering for the Las Vegas Red wings or anythingl ike that, thats for sure.

At the same time I'm surprised to see people here say they wouldn't be a fan if this team became a team like the ducks. If they are still a very good team(ducks are despite what a lot of ppl think)no matter if they play puck possession or goon hockey how could you not be fans.

You guys must not have been around in the 80's or 90's and somewhat early 2000's I'm guessing and then starting liking them as they took up the style they have now?

Minus some of the douchiness of guys like Perry, I wholeheartedly agree. I would love for the Wings to be more like the Ducks were. The year the Ducks won the Cup, I'm pretty sure they also had the most penalties in the league. I'd love to watch a Wings team that beat you as they beat you.

#26 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

Minus some of the douchiness of guys like Perry, I wholeheartedly agree. I would love for the Wings to be more like the Ducks were. The year the Ducks won the Cup, I'm pretty sure they also had the most penalties in the league. I'd love to watch a Wings team that beat you as they beat you.

Meh Perry is a ****** but its magnified against the wings because noone ever does anything about it. I would take an 80 point guy like Perry who pisses people off and will hit and fight over someone who goes through the motions and puts up that many points.

We don't get high enough picks to get these types of players.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#27 MissyLKS8

MissyLKS8

Détroit du Kat

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

Yea, we had our share, no one is perfect and most of that is one person at a time and not a whole roster. This is all just my opinion. Plus I feel there's a place and a time to be a jerk on the ice. By the way, I still hate Bertuzzi.

Also, yes, location. I feel with the Wings and Tigers since I grew up here. I do understand that blue-collar thing. In fact, the radio talk about how Draper fits that-- little rough around the edges but a hard worker who has something to prove. I think that's it. I like that about our team. We got guys who come to Detroit with a stereotype to prove wrong and I like that. They underestimate Detroit... okay, maybe not the Red Wings team but I hope you get what I'm saying.
I like are rich history. An original six team with a "few" legends and then we became the "dead-Wings" to the generation(s) to now. We had to dig ourselves out of a hole which says a lot. Nothing was handed to us.

Meh Perry is a ****** but its magnified against the wings because noone ever does anything about it. I would take an 80 point guy like Perry who pisses people off and will hit and fight over someone who goes through the motions and puts up that many points.

Good, I can't stand Perry. Pronger's gone but I still want to punch Perry's ugly face when the camera goes over him.
Hit it hard in Royal Oak... but I'll see you all in Detroit. Friday 11am.

Pav's going to dance for Hank. -Osgood on Zed's birthday
I love the dark meat. -Homer on turkey
Hey, is that Journey? OOH, WHAT A STOP BY OSGOOD!! Hey, that IS Journey! - Steve Dangle

"I don't care what my tickets says, Lady. Why should I move my seat for you, 45 minutes late with your non-Red Wings apparel, to sit behind the glass here with your little friend who just asked who #5 is?"

Made in Detroit

#28 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

I was wrapped in a Red Wings blanket when I was born. This is a fact. Abandoning that would likely call for my father disowning me as not just his only son, but as a human being.

Posted Image

#29 MissyLKS8

MissyLKS8

Détroit du Kat

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

I was wrapped in a Red Wings blanket when I was born. This is a fact. Abandoning that would likely call for my father disowning me as not just his only son, but as a human being.

Feel you. It's a little different but my mother has mentioned numerous times if I cheered on an other baseball team, she would disown me. And if I cheered on the Yankees, she would put a pillow over my face...

Edited by MissyLKS8, 27 June 2010 - 11:31 PM.

Hit it hard in Royal Oak... but I'll see you all in Detroit. Friday 11am.

Pav's going to dance for Hank. -Osgood on Zed's birthday
I love the dark meat. -Homer on turkey
Hey, is that Journey? OOH, WHAT A STOP BY OSGOOD!! Hey, that IS Journey! - Steve Dangle

"I don't care what my tickets says, Lady. Why should I move my seat for you, 45 minutes late with your non-Red Wings apparel, to sit behind the glass here with your little friend who just asked who #5 is?"

Made in Detroit

#30 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

Regarding the whole "I wouldn't want us to be like Anahiem" thing. It's good to have a team that plays with an edge, stirs things up every now and then, etc. What I really meant, and I should've been more specific, is that I don't want to see a Detroit team with one line of legit talent and three lines of moronic Sean Avery clones. It's fine to have a few good talkers/thugs on a team, they have their place in the NHL, but I wouldn't want to watch a whole squad of cheap arseclowns.

#31 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

Regarding the whole "I wouldn't want us to be like Anahiem" thing. It's good to have a team that plays with an edge, stirs things up every now and then, etc. What I really meant, and I should've been more specific, is that I don't want to see a Detroit team with one line of legit talent and three lines of moronic Sean Avery clones. It's fine to have a few good talkers/thugs on a team, they have their place in the NHL, but I wouldn't want to watch a whole squad of cheap arseclowns.

It would be hard to be a fan of a team that just always loses and has a bunch of goons. But it would be better then just being a bad team that is soft as well. The leafs are an entertaining team to watch but they suck. I would however rather watch them then a team like Carolina who sucks just as bad pretty much and is soft too.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Armageddon.

#33 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

I cannot in good conscience vote for any of the options in the poll, nothing could possibly make me become a fan of another team or stop cheering for the Red Wings. While I was a little too young to have been through the Dead Things era, I remember the teams of the late 80's when it was Yzerman and a bunch of goons and nobodies, I grew up listening to games on the radio and eventually on TV, my parents moved away from Detroit before I was in high school, but as soon as we landed in South Carolina I begged then to get cable so I could still follow hockey and the Wings, I broke my foot on the coffee table in '95, I almost broke my hand the next year, I literaly ran laps around my neighborhood in my Yzerman sweater when we won in '97 (still haven't been able to get the sweat stains out, it's freaking hot in Charleston in June), I have lived and died Red Wings hockey (figuratively) for as long as I can remember, and nothing imaginable could get me to change.

Edited by McAwesome, 28 June 2010 - 08:55 AM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#34 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

I'm with the general consensus here: If they moved I would cheer for another team probably. I wouldn't be cheering for the Las Vegas Red wings or anythingl ike that, thats for sure.

At the same time I'm surprised to see people here say they wouldn't be a fan if this team became a team like the ducks. If they are still a very good team(ducks are despite what a lot of ppl think)no matter if they play puck possession or goon hockey how could you not be fans.

You guys must not have been around in the 80's or 90's and somewhat early 2000's I'm guessing and then starting liking them as they took up the style they have now?

There are tons of fans who have no connection to Detroit itself. I think many of those fans "chose" the Detroit Red Wings because of what kinda style and identity they have. At least for me it had an effect. I never even though about the Flyers for example.

I'd say if three of staff members, players, identity and success changed I doubt I'd be following them this strongly anymore. It may sound rough, but you also need to understand that this isn't like the Ilves to me. I've never even been in USA, as I said.

But it may be hard for you to understand, because you have lived in NA and you already have the best league in the world right there. I haven't seen a lot of North American's who have a "second" team playing in Swedish league for example.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 28 June 2010 - 09:46 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#35 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,187 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

If they moved, I'd probably watch them until the roster changed considerably, and then I'd abandon ship. The question is, who to switch allegiance to? Never the Hawks. God help me, never Nashville. (Although they'd probably move before Detroit) It's hurts my head to think about.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#36 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

As a Michigan native growing up a fan of the team, I'm with them unless they leave Michigan
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#37 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

There are tons of fans who have no connection to Detroit itself

A lot of people without a connection to the team would dump them if we sucked no matter what they claim. But not all. I switched from the Lions to the Redskins in 1981. I did live in the DC area then, so I guess it's not "no" connection, but I'm still a solid Wing, Piston, Tiger and Wolverine fan. Then again, none of those are the Lions. No one in my family ever actually questioned me about that, why would I dump the Lions? But I've never waivered in being a Skins fan even though I haven't lived in the DC area for almost 15 years and the Skins have sucked for a while. So there are permanent switches.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

There are tons of fans who have no connection to Detroit itself. I think many of those fans "chose" the Detroit Red Wings because of what kinda style and identity they have. At least for me it had an effect. I never even though about the Flyers for example.

I'd say if three of staff members, players, identity and success changed I doubt I'd be following them this strongly anymore. It may sound rough, but you also need to understand that this isn't like the Ilves to me. I've never even been in USA, as I said.

But it may be hard for you to understand, because you have lived in NA and you already have the best league in the world right there. I haven't seen a lot of North American's who have a "second" team playing in Swedish league for example.

Yeah it makes sense. Being this far away and having a lot of Scandinavians on the team would be a good reason too like them. I could see if they just had a bunch of Canadians why they wouldn't be appealing to someone in Europe.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

Why am I a fan? Well, initially I started rooting for the Red Wings to piss my dad off since he's die-hard Blackhawks fan #1, as most of you are probably by now well aware. My rooting for his most hated rival certainly made him spit nails and it was funny watching him get pissed when the two teams would play each other and I'd cheer every Detroit goal. However much to his consternation, it was not just a phase. I actually started enjoying watching them and found myself seeking out info about the team and the players and making myself move from "casual fan" to "hardcore fan". Now, it's Wings or bust.

What would make me stop watching them? I don't know. Probably if management drove the team into the ground and sabotaged any chances the team would have to be successful. I'm not talking about just plain bad seasons, we've all sat through a few of those. I'm talking about a concerted effort on the part of all involved to make the team into the laughingstock of the NHL. Knowing what we know about the history and legacy of the team, seeing them have to go through something like that because of an incompetent front office would probably be too much to take.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#40 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I was thinking about this last week actually. I began to think about football teams in England and Spain that have had terrible ownership and the spending gets out of control to the point where they can not pay back their debts and file for administration. Leeds United and Valencia come to mind in particular. It seems as though ownership that runs the club into the ground is one that thing I don't think I could support.

I highly doubt we ever have to worry about such a thing but it would be irresponsible to support a team in those financial troubles. I'm not talking about Phoenix either, that is the NHL's fault not the Coyotes.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!