• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm Boycotting the Winter Classic...

Rate this topic

Some are. Some aren't.

Some will be watching. Some have other plans. Some aren't interested in games that don't effect the Wings. Some don't care for the Pens and/or Caps. Some will sit in a corner with their arms folded across their chests and their lower lip stuck waaaaaaaay out, kicking their feet if they don't get enough attention because the league likes Sidney.

Some of us will be cheering for the Penguins because you know what happens to the winner of the Winter Classic. <heh heh heh heh heh>

They make it to the SCF? :rolleyes:

Edited by MidMichSteve

I can't stand Crosby but this is the smart business move for the NHL for sure. The kid has been absolutely incredible this year. He plays with garbage linemates and puts up a streak that is unheard of in this era of hockey. The fact that he's even got a whiff of an all-time point streak top-10 in this time of defensive hockey is remarkable. The league has to capitalize on it. The Red Wings get national coverage because of their national appeal, too. It only makes $en$e.

That said, I did enjoy watching Sid's point streak end last night after the NHL's marketing campaign hedged their bets that it would still be going as of Saturday's game. Heh. Hopefully he shaves that ridiculous mustache now.

The Winter Classic gets rained out, and you wonder how it'll be bad for PR?

Edit: prediction is high of 49 F, and 80% chance of rain now (up from 50%)

I was the one who originally brought up how it would be bad from a PR standpoint for this game to be cancelled. When I was questioned how, I admittedly didn't have a direct answer. I didn't want to make up some bulls*** reasons, I just think it wouldn't be good over all for the NHL for this game to be cancelled.

Edit: spelling

Edited by henrik40

Guest CaliWingsNut

i'll be watching it. there is more to hockey than crosby.

Crosby isn't the issue. Crosby's team being in the game for a second time, when many others have not had the chance, is the issue.

Guest CaliWingsNut

There's only a small handful of teams that NBC wants to play in this thing.

I would actually like to read some sorta proof behind this. I believe it, and understand why, I just haven't seen anything saying this.

I would actually like to read some sorta proof behind this. I believe it, and understand why, I just haven't seen anything saying this.

And you won't see anything official on it either. Leagues don't like to publically admit some of their teams are not marketable.

There's only a small handful of teams that NBC wants to play in this thing.

Someone on Twitter (might have been Damien Cox) put it best...

NBC only airs "original six" teams: New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago and Detroit. :P

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?network=NBC

way more games and variety this year

neato

Number of times on NBC:

Pittsburgh: 5

Philadelphia: 5

Chicago: 5

NY Rangers: 5

Washington: 4

Minnesota: 4

Detroit: 4

Buffalo: 3

New Jersey: 3

Boston: 2

Tampa Bay: 2

Los Angeles: 2

Florida: 1

St. Louis: 1

Atlanta: 1

Columbus: 1

Don't understand why the bolded are where they are in number of games.

Number of times on NBC:

Pittsburgh: 5

Philadelphia: 5

Chicago: 5

NY Rangers: 5

Washington: 4

Minnesota: 4

Detroit: 4

Buffalo: 3

New Jersey: 3

Boston: 2

Tampa Bay: 2

Los Angeles: 2

Florida: 1

St. Louis: 1

Atlanta: 1

Columbus: 1

Don't understand why the bolded are where they are in number of games.

Given Minnesota's record, it seems odd, but Minnesotans are huge hockey fans. If you look at the top teams on the list, it's the ones who play in areas where people like hockey and have marketable players.

The further down you go, the less that is so.

I think if Stamkos develops the way he appears to be headed, we'll see a lot more Bolts exposure- perhaps they'll even host a Winter Classic. :ninja:

If I sat out in the rain and caught pneumonia, could I send the medical bills to Bettman?

They are saying they will play the game no matter what the conditions. Is this wise?

Given Minnesota's record, it seems odd, but Minnesotans are huge hockey fans. If you look at the top teams on the list, it's the ones who play in areas where people like hockey and have marketable players.

Minnesota has an incredibly boring team. As much as the state is mad for hockey, it will be hard to turn the rest of the league's fans on to a game featuring that team.

Henrik Zetterberg knows what it's like to be at the mercy of the weather for a Winter Classic.

The forecast in the days leading up to the Detroit Red Wings' matchup with the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2009 Winter Classic at Wrigley Field isn't quite what the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals are facing this season, but Zetterberg was still concerned about what Mother Nature would have in store on New Year's Day.

"A little bit," Zetterberg said. "I think we are always worried like it's going to snow, or even rain; it would be a little tough to play that game.

"But for us, I would say that we had the perfect conditions. You know, it was a great atmosphere. It was a little cold for the fans maybe, but for us we kept ourselves warm and we had some heaters going on the bench. So we were fine."

According to weather.com, it will be 48 degrees with a 50-percent chance of rain for the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Zetterberg said that playing in some light rain wasn't a problem when he was a kid in Njurunda, Sweden.

"You had a few, but most of our games were indoors," Zetterberg said. "My first two years we had a few games where we had to play outdoors. A few times it was real cold and it snowed too, but that's the way it was."

010109WCMediaBox5.jpg

Zetterberg has been pretty good at the indoor version of hockey this season. He had 3 goals and 4 assists last week to earn the NHL's second star honors and is tied for sixth in the NHL in points with 41. The Red Wings are tied with the Penguins for the League lead in points with 50, but the Red Wings have hit that mark in one fewer game.

The Red Wings have also climbed to the top of the League standings despite battling some major injuries.

Pavel Datsyuk went down with a broken hand Dec. 23 and will be out at least a month. Forward Danny Cleary, who leads the Wings with 16 goals, fractured an ankle Sunday and said he expects to be out a month. Defenseman Brian Rafalski is day-to-day with a balky back after missing 10 games with a knee injury earlier in the year.

Fourth-line center Mike Modano has been out since late November with a right wrist laceration that required surgery.

But Zetterberg said injuries are just part of the territory during an NHL season.

"I think it all started with Mike Modano, when he went down," said Zetterberg. "That was a big adjustment for us. He was a big part of that line and a big part of the power play. So, you know, we kind of find a way to play without him.

"And then Pavel goes down with his hand injury, and you know, it was tough. It's tough to fill that hole. Everyone got discouraged a bit. And then you lose Cleary, too. So it's definitely tough injuries, but we have been there before. We just have to find a way to win hockey games."

The Red Wings have won three of their last four, including a historic win Monday night. Goaltender Chris Osgood made 46 saves in Detroit's 4-3 overtime victory against the Colorado Avalanche, giving Osgood his 400th career win.

Does that achievement lock up a spot in the Hall of Fame for Osgood? Zetterberg certainly thinks so.

"Four-hundred wins, (three) Stanley Cups, he's definitely a Hall of Famer in my eyes," Zetterberg said. "If you look at it, what he has accomplished, he's definitely one of the top goal stoppers. I think everyone in our locker room and our organization knows what he's done and he knows how much he means to us."

"It was a great experience. It was fun to have the family over and that practice day, when the players brought their kids on the ice and skated with us, it was a great time."

At 30, Zetterberg still has a ways to go before he hits any major milestones like 1,000 points or 1,000 games. After watching "24/7 Penguins/Capitals: Road To The NHL Winter Classic," perhaps there's a desire to take part in another outdoor game before his career is over.

"I have seen bits and pieces and they seem to do a good job on it. You know, I thought it was fun to be in the Winter Classic once," said Zetterberg, who had three assists in the Wings' 6-4 win against the Blackhawks at Wrigley. "It was a great experience. It was fun to have the family over and that practice day, when the players brought their kids on the ice and skated with us, it was a great time.

"I think it is a good thing, and especially when you have good rivalries playing, it's better."

Edited by darkmanx

If I sat out in the rain and caught pneumonia, could I send the medical bills to Bettman?

They are saying they will play the game no matter what the conditions. Is this wise?

Watch the conditions cause at least one or two major injuries. I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's karma coming back to bite the league in the ass.

What pneumonia seeps into what's his face and Ovechkin? What will NHL marketing do? Oh noes!