• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#161 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Oh well, not a big loss IMO, I mean, he wasn't able to beat out Miller for a reserve spot after all. He does have potential though, so that'll be another reason to watch the Lightning this year. I hope he does well there.

#162 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Sometimes I hate sport, sometimes I really, really hate it.

No big loss, he couldn't earn a spot on the team. Obviously he didn't work hard enough. Good luck to him.

LOL, he really had a chance didn't he? :lol:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#163 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

He wasn't good enough for the top 2 lines on the wings' (not many 23 year olds are)
and miller has more experience, is a better PKer and therefore more important to this team than ritola...why the anger?

Edited by mindfly, 05 October 2010 - 06:42 PM.

#164 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

He's had a couple years to prove he can make the Red Wings.

But no, I'm sure the Red Wings have no clue what they are doing and decided to waive the next Gretzky for s***s and giggles.

#165 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

He wasn't good enough for the top 2 lines on the wings' (not many 23 year olds are)
and miller has more experience, is a better PKer and therefore more important to this team than ritola...why the anger?

Because we just lost a very, very solid prospect for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Gosh I hate waivers, and I hate this aspect about the NHL. How you can put years and years od development into someone and have them lost for nothing. Ritola can clearly play in the NHL, he has a great skill level, a good work ethic, he'll hit, he can play on both special teams, and he's only 23. He'll prove to be a very solid NHL player and we've lost him for nothing, all so Miller can spend one more season with Detroit.

What a joke.

He's had a couple years to prove he can make the Red Wings.

But no, I'm sure the Red Wings have no clue what they are doing and decided to waive the next Gretzky for s***s and giggles.

Ah I see, we've never made a mistake? Gotcha. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#166 RedWingsFan13

RedWingsFan13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Because we just lost a very, very solid prospect for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Gosh I hate waivers, and I hate this aspect about the NHL. How you can put years and years od development into someone and have them lost for nothing. Ritola can clearly play in the NHL, he has a great skill level, a good work ethic, he'll hit, he can play on both special teams, and he's only 23. He'll prove to be a very solid NHL player and we've lost him for nothing, all so Miller can spend one more season with Detroit.

What a joke.

Ah I see, we've never made a mistake? Gotcha. :thumbup:

Miller gives us MUCH better PKing than ritola. With Huds back we have acquired the lost PP depth and adding Mo will help the PP as well, so we needed to make sure our PK was up to par, with malts and draps in the end of careers we chose a better PKer over potential and Miller is more sound in his defensive aspects than ritola. Its not a big loss.

Edited by RedWingsFan13, 05 October 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#167 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Miller gives us MUCH better PKing than ritola. With Huds back we have acquired the lost PP depth and adding Mo will help the PP as well, so we needed to make sure our PK was up to par, with malts and draps in the end of careers we chose a better PKer over potential and Miller is more sound in his defensive aspects than ritola. Its not a big loss.

Yeah man, with Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Filppula, Cleary, Draper, we're so short on PK options!!

#168 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Haha, because you're perfectly aware of the fact that other than my avatar, I really don't lament about those guys much, if at all; which means, as usual, you just wanted to start a meaningless argument like Carmen and Eva. Go find a noob or something.

Pretty dumb to have an avatar like that and then get all butt hurt when someone calls you on it.

Are there some people that really lament the loss of Leino still? Lol.

Sucks to lose Ritola but someone had to go. But the organization lost the exact player they were prepared to lose. I can think of worse scenarios.

Edited by Broken 16, 05 October 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#169 RedWingsFan13

RedWingsFan13

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Yeah man, with Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Filppula, Cleary, Draper, we're so short on PK options!!

Apparently you are one of those people who can not read into the undertones of a statement and need it spelled out.
M I L L E R I S B E T T E R I N H I S D E F E N S I V E G A M E T H A T S W H Y R I T O L A I S G O N E
(miller is better in his defensive game thats why ritola is gone)

#170 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

Apparently you are one of those people who can not read into the undertones of a statement and need it spelled out.
M I L L E R I S B E T T E R I N H I S D E F E N S I V E G A M E T H A T S W H Y R I T O L A I S G O N E
(miller is better in his defensive game thats why ritola is gone)

Uhhh I understood you. But you're making it sound as though because Miller can PK in the NHL right now, Ritola should've been moved. Who says Ritola can't? Who says Ritola doesn't have much higher upside than Miller?

Proof will be in the pudding, and we'll come away looking pretty foolish IMO.

#171 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

No kidding, I couldn't agree more. People act like losing Miller means we have nobody left to kill penalties. The Red Wings are frickin loaded with solid defensive forwards. Besides, how many penalties is Miller going to kill as the 13th forward which he will be when everyone is healthy?

Hell, I know Babcock prefers to keep their minutes down but we also have the luxury of throwing two of the best defensive forwards out there to kill penalties if necessary. There are hundreds of Drew Miller's floating around in the NHL and we kept one for a year over a prospect that could develop into far more than anything Miller has. I don't even care so much what Ritola did compared to Miller right now. In the future, this appears to be a very short-sighted decision. The Red Wings gave up potential to keep a 13th forward.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#172 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Ritola doesn't have any potential in the minds of the management, that's why he was waived.

Face it, he did not perform well enough in his several years here to win a spot on the best team in the league. He had every opportunity to prove himself, and he failed to do so.

#173 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

No kidding, I couldn't agree more. People act like losing Miller means we have nobody left to kill penalties. The Red Wings are frickin loaded with solid defensive forwards. Besides, how many penalties is Miller going to kill as the 13th forward which he will be when everyone is healthy?

Hell, I know Babcock prefers to keep their minutes down but we also have the luxury of throwing two of the best defensive forwards out there to kill penalties if necessary. There are hundreds of Drew Miller's floating around in the NHL and we kept one for a year over a prospect that could develop into far more than anything Miller has. I don't even care so much what Ritola did compared to Miller right now. In the future, this appears to be a very short-sighted decision. The Red Wings gave up potential to keep a 13th forward.

Excellent post, very well said. :thumbup:

#174 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Ritola doesn't have any potential in the minds of the management, that's why he was waived.

Face it, he did not perform well enough in his several years here to win a spot on the best team in the league. He had every opportunity to prove himself, and he failed to do so.

Come on, they may not feel he was ready right now but no potential whatsoever? A former member of the Red Wings organization seems to think he does and Yzerman saw him play plenty over the years.

Five pre-season games is every opportunity and a handful of games last season on a team decimated with injuries? Ritola has potential - unfortunately it will be realized elsewhere while we watch Drew Miller maybe kill penalties or sit in the press box as a healthy scratch.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#175 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

Come on, they may not feel he was ready right now but no potential whatsoever? A former member of the Red Wings organization seems to think he does and Yzerman saw him play plenty over the years.

Five pre-season games is every opportunity and a handful of games last season on a team decimated with injuries? Ritola has potential - unfortunately it will be realized elsewhere while we watch Drew Miller maybe kill penalties or sit in the press box as a healthy scratch.

Who says Ritola has a higher ceiling then Miller actually?

#176 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

good to see stevie pick up ritloa...hope to see him do good, then sign back with the wings when he starts killin s***.

#177 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

Who says Ritola has a higher ceiling then Miller actually?

I do. I don't see Miller getting much better than he already is, while Ritola hasn't had a full year in the NHL and was a highly touted prospect. I'm not saying Ritola will be better than Miller, but he is worth the risk over losing Miller, the type of player we already have tons of, IMO.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#178 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Meh, nothing really special about this guy. I mean if he was such a sure fire bet to be a solid NHL player he would have seen mroe time with the big club, especially with all the injuries this season. People overreact alot. He was skilled guy who couldn't produce points, who cares really. When we lost Quincy he had a solid playoff run with us where he looked great (still can't believe Holland waived him after that run) but this guy has done nothing

Agreed. It sounds like Ritola has failed to impress time and time again. But you made the mistake of bringing up Quincey which will lead to what you see below, because Holland couldn't possibly be anything but perfect.

He looked great? By that, do you mean he had to be coddled, given very little ice time, and in general protected from the top two lines of Anaheim and San Jose? And did you mean to note that when the Red Wings had that atrocious spell of injuries on defense in early '08, Meech absolutely outshined Quincey in every way possible?

Oh, selective memory...

Nice revisionist history of your own. Coddled? how exactly do you coddle an NHL defenseman? The Wings tried to keep their bottom pairing and rookie defenseman away from Anaheim's and San Jose's top lines?! Shocking! Unprecedented!

Maybe because for some crazy reason they wanted to have the league's best defenseman on the ice against the other team's top lines.

How exactly did Meech outshine Quincey in every way? This is your biggest revisionist history. Unless you attended every single training camp and practice. Because in the games it wasn't that clear, at least not the ones where Meech was on D. But Meech had the benefit of versatility. If you're going to be a plug, it doesn't hurt to be one who can play wing too.

But no, I know, Holland can't make mistakes. It was all Quincey's fault.

You whine about us fixating on Quincey, but jeez. Holland thought Quincey would never make a quality NHL defenseman. Turns out he was wrong. Get over it.

#179 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

you can just tell by watching that ritola has far more potential than miller. miller will kill penalties from the press box while ritola will be given a chance to prove himself in tampa.

good luck to him, he is in good hands.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#180 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

Never was too sold on Ritola... obviously I could be proven to be wrong.

Maybe I am crazy, but he reminded me of a slightly more gritty Mark Mowers.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."