#1 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

Way to go Illitches! I love it!

http://www.crainsdet...to-mike-ilitch#

Looks like we are on our way to new big arena... Nice!

#2 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

My lord that guy has a s*** ton of money.

Posted Image

#3 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Illitch doesn't want the Pistons, he wants the concert venues.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#4 RedOrDead

RedOrDead

The Scorpion

• 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

woop! illitch will return Detroit to sports greatness ( now he just needs the lions)

#5 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

woop! illitch will return Detroit to sports greatness ( now he just needs the lions)

There are many things the Illitch's can do but turn the Lions into a great team? I'm all for happy thoughts and positive thinking but thats a step too far for me.

I revel in the pity expressed by people when I tell them a Lions fan, it counters the hatred expressed when they find out I'm a Wings fan. If the Lions became great it'd mess with my ying and yang or something.:D

#6 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

I find it hard to believe that the Pistons are worth 475 Million! Or did I just read that wrong. Even with PS&E 475 Million seems a bit steep! I wonder how much the Wings are worth????

Since I am moving back to Michigan in December, a new arena in the Fox Theater area would be nice!! All 4 teams would play in the same area, I think its a great idea and Awesome for Detroit! I think it will hurt the Oakland County Economy not having the Pistons there 50 times a year, but they will still have the Palace to hold other events. I just hope that the Palace does fall into the hole the Silverdome did! I think the Silverdome cost the City of Pontiac 20 million to build in 1973 and opened in 1975, but they only got 550,000 in auction for the Dome.

Honestly I would like to see a Minor League Hockey Team come into the Palace. I know the Vipers fell through the cracks, but I think a team that would be tied into the Wings organization like Toledo or something (Jr Wings) would make a decent splash. The Palace would be a great venue for something like that!

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

I find it hard to believe that the Pistons are worth 475 Million! Or did I just read that wrong. Even with PS&E 475 Million seems a bit steep! I wonder how much the Wings are worth????

Since I am moving back to Michigan in December, a new arena in the Fox Theater area would be nice!! All 4 teams would play in the same area, I think its a great idea and Awesome for Detroit! I think it will hurt the Oakland County Economy not having the Pistons there 50 times a year, but they will still have the Palace to hold other events. I just hope that the Palace does fall into the hole the Silverdome did! I think the Silverdome cost the City of Pontiac 20 million to build in 1973 and opened in 1975, but they only got 550,000 in auction for the Dome.

Honestly I would like to see a Minor League Hockey Team come into the Palace. I know the Vipers fell through the cracks, but I think a team that would be tied into the Wings organization like Toledo or something (Jr Wings) would make a decent splash. The Palace would be a great venue for something like that!

I don't really want Illitch to be anymore distracted than he already is. I guess having a cap means he doesn't have to invest as much in the Wings to ice a good team, though so maybe it won't matter? I really hope they name something in Detroit after Illitch, the guy is singlehandedly resurrecting it's sports culture.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

whatta champp.
To whom much is given, much is expected

#9 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

I still don't care for the idea of a multi-purpose arena, as I think it affects the ice quality, but this all but ensures that this will be the case now, with that said, this new arena is going to be epic...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#10 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

Mike Ilitch doesn't co-mingle funds between teams, so in theory what he spends on one should have no bearing on the other.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#11 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

If he does buy it I hope the initial results are better then what happened with the Tigers.

I still don't care for the idea of a multi-purpose arena, as I think it affects the ice quality, but this all but ensures that this will be the case now, with that said, this new arena is going to be epic...

And I can't wait to see the arguments of who will pay for it.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 05 October 2010 - 10:52 AM.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

redwings8831

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

If he does buy it I hope the initial results are better then what happened with the Tigers.

Well, they really couldn't get much worse.

#13 RememberStevieY

RememberStevieY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

This doesn't surprise me, Chris Illitch has had season tickets on the floor for the last 20 years.
The Order of the Paradox

The most regular season wins, post season wins, division titles, conference titles and 4 Stanley Cups in a little over a decade spells d-y-n-a-s-t-y;

#14 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Ugh, I don't want to see Yzerman and Howe's numbers hanging besides basketball giants.

#15 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

Well, they really couldn't get much worse.

First World Series appearance in 20 years and only one losing season in the last 5 years... don't get me wrong, with what they've spent, there should be more playoff appearances and they SHOULD be better, but lets not make it out to be worse than it is... with that said, I think Dombrowski is on the ropes and better put one hell of a team on the field next year or I think he's on the chopping block...

Ugh, I don't want to see Yzerman and Howe's numbers hanging besides basketball giants.

I hate the idea of a dual-occupancy arena as well, but it is what it is I guess...

with that said, I'm pretty sure they would hang them on opposite sides of the arena... there are simply too many Wings banners to share a side with the Pistons :)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#16 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

I don't like the idea of sharing an arena. I don't care if half of NHL teams do it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#17 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

A dual-use arena. Jack of all trades, master of none. :(

#18 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

Let's not worry about arenas right now. The good news is a major Detroit team will be in good hands. I was so worried that some ignorant jackass owner was going to take over and throw his weight around simply because he has money.

#19 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

There are many things the Illitch's can do but turn the Lions into a great team? I'm all for happy thoughts and positive thinking but thats a step too far for me.

I revel in the pity expressed by people when I tell them a Lions fan, it counters the hatred expressed when they find out I'm a Wings fan. If the Lions became great it'd mess with my ying and yang or something.:D

I believe NFL rules would forbid Ilitch from purchasing the Lions. I think it's against NFL rules for an owner to also own competing professional teams in the same market.

I believe there was a NHL team recently transferred from parent to son to avoid this rule?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

A dual-use arena. Jack of all trades, master of none. :(

However, how awesome would it be if they made a massive entertainment complex, with two arenas attached as one, sharing one wall and an atrium, but two separate actual arenas?
Wings on the North Side of the structure, Pistons on the South, then you could (in theory) even have both teams playing home games on the same night... also could share parking, concessions, etc, while still having double luxury suites... now THAT would be amazing...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here