• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hatrickswayze

Filppula

Rate this topic

My expectation for him is to be a ~20g, ~60p guy with solid two-way play on a healthy year. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Agreed, these would be my expectations too. I love Filppula, such a good all-round hockey player, ultra dependable. :thumbup:

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Babs once said that Fil is the best skater on the team. Something like that.

A race would be nuts. Fil has always had to pace himself for around 15-17 minutes right? So what if he could just go balls to wall? So much questions.

I definitely think that Filppula is second to only Helm in speed. I'm nut sure which game it was but I remember as one of our D had the puck in our zone, Filppula shot off like a canon into the center of the ice on the rush and my jaw dropped because of how fast he was and how quickly he accelerated. He definitely has that extra gear, on top of how well he skates anyway.

Flip has to be one of the fastest skaters in the league.

I said it in the Filppula Appreciation thread. I think Val will 25 goals and 75 points if he and Franzen stay healthy. He is definitely off to the best start of his career.

Jesus christ the guy has two gimme goals thanks to Franzen's sick pass and Turco impersonating Hellan Kellar and suddenly hes a top 35 scorer in the league...

First, there are no such things as "gimme goals". Second, in both cases, he was going to the net, which is an improvement for him and hopefully/probably the thing that will put him on track to get numbers equal to his talent. Third, no one is saying he's a top 35 goal scorer. Finally, it's Helen Keller.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Have you ever watched a hockey game in your life? That fact he got 2 goals last game is no coincidence, even if they weren't spectacular goals. Flip is playing his ass off, in fact he always has, and now he is being rewarded for it. It's long overdue.

Kris Draper played his ass off every gane to. Did he ever score 70 points? No, he didn't due to the lack of talent. Filppula is the same way. Bookmark this post, I guarantee you he does not score 70 this year. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he is a very good one, but his strengths are not good enough to get 70 this year. He is a very good and responsible 2nd line center who should be good for 55-60, but to say you expect 70 points at the least is retarded.

First, there are no such things as "gimme goals". Second, in both cases, he was going to the net, which is an improvement for him and hopefully/probably the thing that will put him on track to get numbers equal to his talent. Third, no one is saying he's a top 35 goal scorer. Finally, it's Helen Keller.

First, there are gimme goals. Not all goals take the same amount of skill or have no luck involved. If you honestly think that then i don't know what to s ay to you. I doubt you seriously belive that though, and are just trying to make a point. Filppula had a good offensive read to get open for Franzen's pass, and then drove to the net and got lucky. Sorry, but nothing about those goals indicate 70+ points for me, but I seem to be one of the few here who has realistic expectations about our players. I was the one saying Ericsson looks like he can be a solid 4th d guy at best when most of you were spouting Norris talk. Second, he said he was expecting him to put up 70+ points at the very least, making him a top 35 scorer in the league if the scoring is distributed the way it has been the past few years. Just because he didn't flat out say it that way doesn't mean you can't make assumptions off the number he gave. 70+ points puts you in the top 40 in the league for scoring every year at the very least. Sorry I'm not just blatently lieing to the guy and giving him unrealistic expectations. Third, why point out the difference in spelling, somehow I doubt she'd notice and take offense.

Edited by LarryMurphySpecial

He could drop a 20 and 45. We're paying him to.

Cleary is averaging the same points but being paid roughly the same, what are we paying him to do?

Filppula is being paid to be a shut down center against the other teams top two lines on any given night while also contributing offensively and keeping the puck down in the opponents zone. You're talking like he hasn't been making his money yet. Have you seen him in the playoffs?

My expectation for him is to be a ~20g, ~60p guy with solid two-way play on a healthy year. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Same here, I have him for roughly 15 goals and 40 assists while dominating defensively and staying out of the penalty box. Anything more would be great.

First, there are gimme goals. Not all goals take the same amount of skill or have no luck involved.

No, there aren't. Well I guess when a penalty shot would have been awarded with the goalie pulled is a gimme goal, actually.

Sure some goals are lucky, but for every goal, at some point somebody did something well. Filppula got open and put it home on his first one. The 2nd one he was driving the net hard, and the puck went in. Sure it was lucky, but it wasn't a gimme.

Guest Four

Filppula has being working on his shot the whole off season. He'll be shooting WAY more than last year.

another thing that seemed odd, but I remembered him being sound defensively - yet he only has 2 short-handed points in his whole career, and both of those coming last year

was last year the first where he was a main fixture on the kill?

because usually when you've got someone with his speed and defensive awareness, that's a recipe for a good amount of shorthanded points

Last year, Flip was the best wing for about month when we were suffering throug massive injures. Babcock said this on a few occasions. He is coming into his own and I cannot understand for the life of me why people continue to dog the guy. He has sweet hands, great speed, fights hard every night and will only get better. He is the SECOND LINE Centre on the deepest team in the NHL...I am thnking there is a reason for that.

He will have 60+ points this year (unless hes injured)and maybe the haters wll find someone else to complan about!

Guest Crymson

I was the one saying Ericsson looks like he can be a solid 4th d guy at best when most of you were spouting Norris talk.

This really sums you up. Angry man! Want credit or something?

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

No, there aren't. Well I guess when a penalty shot would have been awarded with the goalie pulled is a gimme goal, actually.

Sure some goals are lucky, but for every goal, at some point somebody did something well. Filppula got open and put it home on his first one. The 2nd one he was driving the net hard, and the puck went in. Sure it was lucky, but it wasn't a gimme.

All I'm saying is that those two goals really showed no indication that he is prime for 70 points this year as you people are all insanely stating. Honestly, I was far more happy with his pass to Franzen vs Anaheim then either of those 2 goals. Far more impressive and a better show of skill then two EASY goals.

This really sums you up. Angry man! Want credit or something?

Edited by vladdy16
Unnecessary post for general discussion. PMs would be more appropriate.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Last year, Flip was the best wing for about month when we were suffering throug massive injures. Babcock said this on a few occasions. He is coming into his own and I cannot understand for the life of me why people continue to dog the guy. He has sweet hands, great speed, fights hard every night and will only get better. He is the SECOND LINE Centre on the deepest team in the NHL...I am thnking there is a reason for that.

He will have 60+ points this year (unless hes injured)and maybe the haters wll find someone else to complan about!

Who here is hating on Filppula? I flat out think he at 3 million is a bargain and think he's probably our 4th best forward. I'm sorry that I don't put him on the same offensive production of Datsyuk or Zetterberg last year all while getting 2nd line minutes, so please forgive me for my "hatred".

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Who here is hating on Filppula? I flat out think he at 3 million is a bargain and think he's probably our 4th best forward. I'm sorry that I don't put him on the same offensive production of Datsyuk or Zetterberg last year all while getting 2nd line minutes, so please forgive me for my "hatred".

You really can't see how your earlier posts in here might've come across like you were hating on Val? Like I said, I don't totally disagree with what you're saying now, but it seemed like you were just trying to rile the Filppula fans up earlier.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

You really can't see how your earlier posts in here might've come across like you were hating on Val? Like I said, I don't totally disagree with what you're saying now, but it seemed like you were just trying to rile the Filppula fans up earlier.

Well the way i see it, some of these fan's overexaggeration of Filppula's talent is just as annoying. He is not a upper echolon scorer in this league and will most probably never will be. He is a great overall player and is well worth his money, but I can't help but roll my eyes when people suddenly expect him to produce like an all-star. This year will be a breakout year for Val, and he will easily break 50, probably even 60, but to say that anything less then 70 would be a dissapointment is raising the bar unfairly high.

Well the way i see it, some of these fan's overexaggeration of Filppula's talent is just as annoying. He is not a upper echolon scorer in this league and will most probably never will be. He is a great overall player and is well worth his money, but I can't help but roll my eyes when people suddenly expect him to produce like an all-star. This year will be a breakout year for Val, and he will easily break 50, probably even 60, but to say that anything less then 70 would be a dissapointment is raising the bar unfairly high.

:lol:

Now I pretty much completely agree with you.