• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Johan Franzen has a concussion

Rate this topic

DALLAS -- October is the cruelest month for Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen.

Franzen said he suffered a concussion Thursday during the first period of his team's 4-1 loss to Dallas on an elbow to the face from Dallas defenseman Mark Fistric.

Franzen expects to miss some games but doesn't believe it's a long-term injury.

“I feel OK right now, so hopefully it won’t take too long,'' Franzen said. "Do some tests and try to get back as soon as possible.’’

Franzen said he believes Fistric should be suspended for cracking him in the nose with his elbow at 12:31 of the first period.

“Probably (he should be suspended), yeah, that’s the rules,'' Franzen said. "It’s an elbow to the head.’’

Franzen has a history of early season injuries. He hurt his knee in October in each of the last three seasons, including last year, when he missed 55 games with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

“This is better than the ACL I had last year,'' Franzen said. "Hopefully it’s not too many games and I’ll be back soon.’’

Well I have a feeling the Mule's thoughts on a suspension won't come to anything. Just like the Orpik knee shot, Keith's elbow to Salei's face, & the hit to the head that Pavs got from behind in the 'Hawks game. I hate to be the one to cry conspiracy theory when hits like that happen to Wings players, but the evidence does seem to be mounting up.

i wouldn't worry too much just yet. from these quotes it seems as though johan is self-diagnosing the injury as a concussion. we'll just have to wait until he gets examined by a doctor. hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Obviously, the bigger problem at this point is that the injuries are starting to pile up and it's been 4 games. Franzen, Rafalski, Big Rig ... Draper, I guess. This team cannot afford to get off to another terrible start and it's a killer to have to scratch and claw into the playoffs. Let's just hope that's the end of it, they go get 2 in Phoenix Saturday, and we can put these last 2 behind us.

Is this hit suspension worthy? I mean, it is an elbow to the head! I thought the league was cracking down on this.

Losing Franzen has a trickle down effect, Filppula's game will not be as solid without Franzen on his wing. Hopefully the Mule is back kicking soon. Get some rest big guy.

Is this hit suspension worthy? I mean, it is an elbow to the head! I thought the league was cracking down on this.

Losing Franzen has a trickle down effect, Filppula's game will not be as solid without Franzen on his wing. Hopefully the Mule is back kicking soon. Get some rest big guy.

i dunt think it is suspension worthy... it wouldent of hit him in the face if he did not stop//lean down

Edited by Duck Guy

I love me some Mule, but he's got a bit of a drama streak. the preseason cheapshot was the worst he's ever seen, now is he diagnosing himself with a concussion? Weird that they'd call it that so quickly. Babs obviously wanted to wait and see.

I agree with this. He should just keep his mouth shut and let the league worry about the suspensions. He should be more worried about not putting himself in positions to get hurt since he gets injured every 3 games. Franzen is my top 3 favorite player on the team, but that big contract worries me the way he gets hurt all the time.

also, the hit doesn't look like it is suspension worthy in my opinion. It wasn't a lateral or blindside hit.

I love me some Mule, but he's got a bit of a drama streak. the preseason cheapshot was the worst he's ever seen, now is he diagnosing himself with a concussion? Weird that they'd call it that so quickly. Babs obviously wanted to wait and see.

Not sure what you mean. I know when I've had a concussion.

Guest Crymson

Ouch, concussions are the trickiest injury to deal with. Just ask Lilja. He was originally only supposed to miss a month.....turned out to be more than an entire season.

He got his face bashed in. Franzen got an elbow to the nose.

Ouch, concussions are the trickiest injury to deal with. Just ask Lilja. He was originally only supposed to miss a month.....turned out to be more than an entire season.

Different kettle of fish. Lilja had an existing undiagnosed bleed in his head that was exacerbated by getting punched by Weber.

Mule says he has a concussion.

Babs said he wouldn't use that word.

Ugh...

Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok. Please be ok.

So, looking forward, let's say Mule's out for the next couple of games along with, sigh..., Draper, Abdelkader, Rafalski and Ericsson.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Modano-Eaves/Miller

Eaves/Miller-Helm-????

They'll need a forward call up if Abdelkader can't skate and I'm guessing/sort of hoping that it will be Mursak, especially since he was the last cut this training camp if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not a fan of the current defense pairings. Seems like they got zero chemistry going on out there right now. I wish they would pair Lidstrom and Kronwall together and just go from there.