• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

4 games and 5 guys are injured ... we will be fine ... people like to ***** and complain in life, so on a message board it is amplified ... kind of the nature of the beast. just skip over the s***ty topics on the board

#22 TheWestWing

TheWestWing

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

You think so? Well, NoGood is Lazy And He Sucks!

#23 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

Wonder if this is the year the wings' old age will show for the first time.. i've seen several players on decline... the game is too fast for 37+ year old players...

#24 gonzo7

gonzo7

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

you should all ways be behind the team , but we are right to be down at the moment

#25 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

Holy cow. You know what we need?

We need to not tell each other how to be fans.

This. It's the internet, though. There are bound to be some folks that sit at their keyboard, knowing they'll never actually be face to face with anyone they ever argue with (or flame) here, which means they don't have to have any manners, social skills or sense. Feeding flames and trolls is hard to avoid sometimes, though. That's what make this forum so much fun. It's like watching a freak-show parade right before your very eyes. It's on us as individuals if we choose to let it piss us off.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

This place has always been bipolar. Either the Wings will win the Cup for sure or they're the suckiest sucky sucks who've ever sucked.

That being said the bitching around here and reactionary behavior seems to have gotten worse since the Cup win. You'd think it would instill a bit of confidence in the team, but instead it seems to do the opposite.

Remember in 08 when the Wings went 4-10 in February? Fans of other teams were hoping the Wings wouldn't even make the playoffs. I'm amazed this place didn't implode, not that it was fun around here.

As a fan I understand wanting the Wings to win every game, but the season is long. Each play, or win or loss does not make or break a player's career or the team's Cup chances this season.

#27 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

This place has always been bipolar. Either the Wings will win the Cup for sure or they're the suckiest sucky sucks who've ever sucked.

That being said the bitching around here and reactionary behavior seems to have gotten worse since the Cup win. You'd think it would instill a bit of confidence in the team, but instead it seems to do the opposite.

Remember in 08 when the Wings went 4-10 in February? Fans of other teams were hoping the Wings wouldn't even make the playoffs. I'm amazed this place didn't implode, not that it was fun around here.

As a fan I understand wanting the Wings to win every game, but the season is long. Each play, or win or loss does not make or break a player's career or the team's Cup chances this season.

And that wasn't due to all those injuries? :rolleyes:

Stuart, Rafalski, Lidstrom and a few others were injured if i remember corectly...

Edited by mindfly, 16 October 2010 - 11:41 AM.

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

And that wasn't due to all those injuries? :rolleyes:

Stuart, Rafalski, Lidstrom and a few others were injured if i remember corectly...

why the eyeroll there Eeyore?

Of course it was in large part due to the injuries, I wasn't claiming otherwise. But somehow, some way the team recovered and if memory serves did pretty well in the postseason. Like I said, the season is long.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 16 October 2010 - 11:46 AM.

#29 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

I agree that some people here are totally off the wall when it comes to the team ever losing a game. I imagine many forget that the only way fans can really support the team (aside from putting money into it) is by supporting it. Of course, what is said on an Internet forum is not likely to make a difference, but still...

Also, I'm amused at how many of those who have shown up to denigrate the OP happen to be amongst those who are most guilty of what he's referring to.

Edited by Crymson, 16 October 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#30 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

The negativity on LGW makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes. Perfect example was after Red Wings had their first regulation loss of the season, non sense threads started popping up.

Holland, Babcock and Lidstrom didn't extend their contracts because Red Wings will be mediocre. As long as this team has the best ownership and management in the sport, Red Wings will always be on top.

And every year Red Wings start the season off slow. Zetterberg is always average till around Christmas, Lidstrom looks human till the 2nd half, the team plays uninterested hockey until the 2nd half. It seems to have been this way for awhile now... and I understand why. The regular season is really just the pre-season to the team. This is just their "practice" until the regular season starts (the playoffs). After excelling in the playoffs for 20 years, the regular season must feel blah to them. Even the fans at the Joe don't crank it up until April. I guess this is what happens when a team kicks ass for so long.

And I have no worries about the future. Red Wings employ the best hockey minds in the world and are starting to restock the cabinets with some interesting prospects. *** I love this teams!!!

Whether they win or lose, Red Wings will always be MY team!

#31 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

What I've learned through stuff like this and how fans in general react to any of their teams adversities is that very few people will change their behaviors, either on the happy-go-cheerleader all the time extreme or the morons who will never seem to understand how a season or players ebb/flow at their job like haroldsnepts just illustrated. The mojo of a majority of people will never change so it's a lost cause trying to change both extremes point of view when it comes to bi-polarness, so now if I'm ever in this situation, I basically just mess with the people who are being beyond moronic and poke fun at them for my personal entertainment.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 16 October 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#32 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

This is true. I remember a lot of good posters on LGW in the early to mid 2000's. It seems most are gone and post someplace else and the negative nacy's have taken over. The forum use to have a good balance pre-lockout and had much, much more activity.

#33 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

To clarify, I don't question said negative posters "fandom". They take the time to be here and watch the games so they must be fans. And everyone is entitled to their opinion on this or any other topic.

I guess it does boil down to the sky is falling mentality. I see enough of that on the news everyday. There aren't a lot of things we can count on these days, I guess I have always considered the Wings something I can count on. For my entire hockey watching life they have been consistently competitive and entertaining.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#34 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

To clarify, I don't question said negative posters "fandom". They take the time to be here and watch the games so they must be fans. And everyone is entitled to their opinion on this or any other topic.

I guess it does boil down to the sky is falling mentality. I see enough of that on the news everyday. There aren't a lot of things we can count on these days, I guess I have always considered the Wings something I can count on. For my entire hockey watching life they have been consistently competitive and entertaining.

Overall agree with your OP,but you were just too harsh with the word "BETTER" imho.Should be something like calmer,cooler fans,lol
The majority of us here are not players,coaches,GM's and other hockey related stuff so forgive us when we're overreacting after win or loss,no matter how stupid it can be it's just an indicator that we care about the team ;)

Besides,we'll be better fans tonight when Homer deflects the game winner tonight through Bryzfuglins pads

LGRW!!!

#35 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

Overall agree with your OP,but you were just too harsh with the word "BETTER" imho.Should be something like calmer,cooler fans,lol
The majority of us here are not players,coaches,GM's and other hockey related stuff so forgive us when we're overreacting after win or loss,no matter how stupid it can be it's just an indicator that we care about the team ;)

Besides,we'll be better fans tonight when Homer deflects the game winner tonight through Bryzfuglins pads

LGRW!!!

In a later post on the first page I admitted that the title was meant to be polarizing, not necessarily a reflection of the tone of the OP.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#36 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

I wouldn't say we need better fans, we need the fans we do have to be less reactionary when there's no reason for it. We've played all of four games and already we have threads saying so-and-so needs to retire, so-and-so should be traded, is so-and-so slowing down, what should we do with so-and-so.....it's ridiculous. Aren't these the threads you expect to see after you get eliminated from the playoffs or at least during the off-season? Not when you haven't played enough games to fill out a whole hand full of fingers.

I think that's why a lot of quality posters don't come around here anymore and the ones that stay, don't post much. There's no room for rational, calm discussion about the team/individual players.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#37 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

I wouldn't say we need better fans, we need the fans we do have to be less reactionary when there's no reason for it. We've played all of four games and already we have threads saying so-and-so needs to retire, so-and-so should be traded, is so-and-so slowing down, what should we do with so-and-so.....it's ridiculous. Aren't these the threads you expect to see after you get eliminated from the playoffs or at least during the off-season? Not when you haven't played enough games to fill out a whole hand full of fingers.

I think that's why a lot of quality posters don't come around here anymore and the ones that stay, don't post much. There's no room for rational, calm discussion about the team/individual players.

LOL did you read my OP. Great minds..,

#38 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

CORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE! Don't worry. We'll be fine! Like the Hawks are dammit!

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 16 October 2010 - 02:49 PM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

What I've learned through stuff like this and how fans in general react to any of their teams adversities is that very few people will change their behaviors, either on the happy-go-cheerleader all the time extreme or the morons who will never seem to understand how a season or players ebb/flow at their job like haroldsnepts just illustrated.

I like to think that the behavior of the former makes much more sense than that of the latter.

This is true. I remember a lot of good posters on LGW in the early to mid 2000's. It seems most are gone and post someplace else and the negative nacy's have taken over. The forum use to have a good balance pre-lockout and had much, much more activity.

I think you'll agree that the negativity and nonsense posts have become much more commonplace since the '08 Cup win. That event attracted lots of fairweather fans to the board, many of whom seem to lack much knowledge of hockey, of the Red Wings, and of the NHL.

I can be caustic a lot of the time on here. I make a whole lot less posts and threads discussing hockey than I used to. This is because I get so bent out of shape about all the nonsense negativity and knee-jerk panicking that goes on around here. My behavior is, of course, my own responsibility, but I was much more liable to engage in and initiate intelligent and civil discussions when the majority of people were interested in participating in them as well; now, far from that, many show up to make insane and surreal posts that just ruin it all.

#40 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

I've just learned that any thread started after a loss which involves certain key words is only worth my time if I am bored out of my skull.